On 12/9/2019 at 3:14 PM, DeTess said:

Yeah. IIRC, you got 1 point each cycle for posting at least 200 words of RP, and 1 point each cycle for making at least two posts of discussion. You could then use those to try to become a knight Radiant. Because the requirements where publicly known, you could also track how many points everyone had to determine who was likely to have a role. You could use a similar system here where you get 'requisition tokens' or whatever for activity which you can use to buy items.

That sounds awesome. I believe Mailliw used a similar idea way back when in midrange 12 as well.

I can't miss out on this! I will sign up as Clark Narrow, a punk kid from the streets with aspirations of making a difference in this new world.

Cycle 1

“Oy, someone’s stole my knife!”

The burly, bald-headed man with tattoos marking from the top of his spine, up and over his head and down to his chin, his belt with every imaginable weapon, and muscles more deadly than any one of them made for a menacing sight as he stood in the back of the open van and looked around at his companions for an answer.

“Maybe yeh sat on it and it went up to ‘ide from yeh.”

The rest of the group chuckled at this response, obviously used to the big man’s complaints.

“You makin fun of me Dodger?”

The large man leaned down over the man who’d made the snide remark. Dodger glanced up to look him in the face. 

“I can’t tell if yeh don’ know I was, Bran, er if yehr just tryin to intimidate me. Either way it’s not goin’ to work so just sit down. You’ve got like 5 knives and you’d best keep better watch of ‘em when we get to the city. More pickpockets there than among yer team.”

Bran snarled at him, but sat down with a huff. Miranda covered a smile from the passenger seat in the front of the van as she felt beneath her vest at the cold steel she’d pilfered. She still had her careful fingers that had kept her alive all these years.

“Shut up, all of you. We’re nearly there.”

The driver flipped off the headlights and a massive dark silhouette loomed in the distance before them. They were getting close to the city. Miranda swallowed. She’d have to have more than this blade to keep her alive on her mission to find an epic. She’d need some nerves of steel as well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to cycle 1! This cycle will end in 48 hours at 1 PM CST on the 21st of December

Rule update! In order to increase game activity some new rules have been added and the game changed slightly. You can find the new rules here ! Good luck!

Player List: 

Spoiler

1. StrikerEZ - the already suspicious

2. Kynedath - Remy Constantine 

3. DeTess - the unnamed deity

4. Stick - Stick!

5. Sart - the one who sends greetings

6. Butt Venture - Charley Rosen

7. Elandera - character pending

8. CadCom - character pending jr

9. Lemonelon - a happy lemon

10. Elkanah - Clark Narrow (kid from the streets)

11. Coda - Absodel (student of medicine)

12. Devotary of Spontaneity - Lieutenant Muave (experienced sniper)

13. Kidpen - mustached gma

14. Twibanu - unnamed seeker of secrets

15. A Joe in the Bush - Doc Olny (a mad scientist)

The Black Market:

Spoiler

Item

Description

Cost

Number   Available

Gun

One time use, may kill any player you target unless they're protected by the vest.

10 points

Bulletproof Vest

One time use, protects against any attack excluding the lynch (passive ability but if activated by an attack it will cancel out your other action if you took one).

8 points

Smoke Bomb 

You cannot be observed with Binoculars. Using this doesn’t consume your action.

6 points

Knife

Wounds a player of your choice, blocking their action for that cycle (may be used once per round).

4 points

Strongbox

Cannot be stolen. You can store one item in the Strongbox. That item cannot be stolen while in the  Strongbox.

2 points

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

Okay, @BrightnessRadiant a few questions regarding the new rules. If two people try to buy the same item at the same time and there is not enough inventory for both of them, is it just random who gets it? If so, will the person who doesn't get it still have their points?

Will we be informed of who buys what? If not then would we know what someone bought if we used binoculars on them? Is buying things from the black market an action? Will the black market get new items periodically or is what we see now all there is?

Are we able to get more than two points per cycle if we complete their objectives more than once, or are you capped out at two per cycle?

Just now, Kynedath said:

Okay, @BrightnessRadiant a few questions regarding the new rules. If two people try to buy the same item at the same time and there is not enough inventory for both of them, is it just random who gets it? If so, will the person who doesn't get it still have their points?

Will we be informed of who buys what? If not then would we know what someone bought if we used binoculars on them? Is buying things from the black market an action? Will the black market get new items periodically or is what we see now all there is?

Are we able to get more than two points per cycle if we complete their objectives more than once, or are you capped out at two per cycle?

Right, thanks, I meant to post those updates but I'm tired and a bit rushed lol.

If two people go for the same item and there isn't enough inventory then the person who put in the order first will get it. The person who didn't get it will retain their points.

You will not be informed of who got what, but you will be able to see what went down in inventory on the next cycle. There is a set number of items at the start of the game and no more will be added.

The black market does not count as an action and therefore the binoculars cannot see it.

There is a 2 point cap that can be reached each cycle.

Hoo boy, cycle six will be one to watch out for then considering that is the earliest that someone can buy the gun.

Another quick question, if you buy an item on one cycle, can you then use it that same cycle or will you have to wait for rollover to officially receive it?

12 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

Hoo boy, cycle six will be one to watch out for then considering that is the earliest that someone can buy the gun.

Another quick question, if you buy an item on one cycle, can you then use it that same cycle or will you have to wait for rollover to officially receive it?

You will receive it to use the following cycle.

Edit: by the way, there is a spec doc if anyone is interested.

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

1 hour ago, Kynedath said:

1 hour ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

You will receive it to use the following cycle.

Emphasis mine. So technically cycle 7 is the earliest the gun comes into play, assuming no one currently has one. : P

Also, @BrightnessRadiant, Does purchasing from the black market come before or after stealing in the OoA? (even though it isn't an action)

Edit: oops, posted early. And Sorry BR, I have some more questions...

So, 15 players. That means likely 2-3 elims. I would assume 3 as of right now as one of the elims wont be using items while the entire village can use them.

Looking at all the items:

• Gun - one time use, may kill any player you target unless they're protected by the vest

• 15 player game with 2 dying per cycle gives us a maximum game length of 7 turns. Since we cant use a gun from the black market until Turn 8, I think it might be more of a tool to prevent the game from stalling. As guns are 1 time uses, I think there is a decent chance one is floating around somewhere, but not more than one. If someone has a gun early in the game, they are close to guaranteed to be a Villager.

• Also, if you fire a gun, I can't think of a reason for a villager not to publicly claim that you did so? The gun is destroyed after use, so there is no particular target put on your head.

• Bullet proof vest - one time use, protects against any attack excluding the lynch (passive ability but if activated by an attack it will cancel out your other action if you took one)

• As it is a passive ability, there are probably less of them than if it was an active ability. There are two available to purchase, and it will take at least 3 turns to buy one. I am similarly thinking that there will be 2 floating around. As the elims have a faster maximum rate they can collect points, and the low chance of shooting them early in the game, I wouldn't expect them to start with these in the game, though it is possible.

• Knife - wounds a player of your choice, blocking their action for that cycle (may be used once per round)

• This I am less certain about. 10 available for 3 points means that these are a near limitless supply. I would expect at least 1 player to start with one of these. Probably village, but could go either way.

• Binoculars - may spy on a player's action, seeing whom they targeted and with what action (may be used once per round) Both the elim kill and the gun will show up as an attack if the binoculars spot it. It will not specify which one it was.

• These are extremely powerful. The fact that they show who the player targeted means that you see someone attacking someone else, you can make a very good guess as to if they are evil or not. This is mirrored through there not being any of these in the black market.  There will likely be one person with this *at most*. So if you have one of these, please try not to die : P
      (If there is more than one, I would personally predict that the elims started with the second one... But I don't think that is particularly likely)

• These will likely not produce consistent results past turn 4, as elims are able to receive Smoke Bombs at the end of turn 3.

• Smoke Bomb - You cannot be observed with Binoculars. Using this doesn’t consume your action.

• So... as far as I can tell, this item only helps elims. But if anyone can think of any other reason for it to exist, please correct me. There might be a villager that starts with this item, but it doesn't really matter. I expect the elims will want one or two of these once turn three comes around

• Is someone able to spend their action to pass their item to someone else?

• Strongbox - Cannot be stolen. You can store one item in the Strongbox. That item cannot be stolen while in the Strongbox. Putting an item in a strongbox does count as an action, but the item is still available for use on following cycles even if it is in the strongbox.

• This item is cool, and 20 in the Black Market means we shouldn't run out. i don't particularly think this means anything though. At least not as of right now.

• Is a player allowed to pass a Strongbox? What if the box has an Item in it?

Edited by Twibanu

2 minutes ago, Twibanu said:

Also, @BrightnessRadiant, Does purchasing from the black market come before or after stealing in the OoA (even though it isn't an action)

Black market comes after everything. I.E. if you die the cycle you try to buy an item, that item will remain in the black market and not be removed from the game.

"Ma!? Pa!?" Character yelled Frantically! He was lost somewhere in the market. He had come with his parents, but got distracted by some toys. Now he had no idea where he was, or where his parents were. His parents had taught him that he shouldn't trust anyone but them. There was corruption these days, and anyone could be evil. 

What does corruption even mean? 

Character felt like a big kid. He was 8 for goodness sake! As long as he knew where he was, he could take care of himself. But he had never been to this market, let alone any market this big or crowded. 

Some men in uniform approached him. "Hey kiddo. You lost?" The shorter one said. He had a creepy mustache. 

Ma said to trust no one! Character thought to himself, as he turned and ran to hide from these men

YOU CANNOT TRUST ANYONE. NOT EVEN POLICE  His mother's words rang louder and louder in his head. 

-------------------

@Twibanu You said the Gun from the market can't be used until at least Turn 8. If you got 2 points per turn every turn, then you'd have 10 by turn 5, you could pick it up by turn 6 and use it turn 7 couldn't you? Or am I missing something. Well, I just read through your post again, and you actually did mention that at one point, but at another point you said cycle 8. Was this a typo, or am I misunderstanding?

I think the thing we may need to watch out for most from the list is definitely elims obtaining smoke bombs, and knives, as these inhibit our ability to catch the elims. Knives in general inhibit our ability to do any action, and smoke bombs end up coming back with no result? Both not good for finding what people are up to. I would expect the elims to start with 1 smoke bomb. 

Notably, there are no binoculars in the black market. This means the binoculars in play are the only binoculars available. Twibanu expected only one to be in play. I would guess 2 just in case we lose one early. 

Lets see, In a game of 15 players, there are probably 3 elims (Mayyyyybe 4, but unlikely, or maybe 3 with one member with a bulletproof vest) I would guess one elim doesn't have any items, one has a smoke bomb and the other has a knife maybe? 

I want to do more speculative analysis, but I just got off of work so I'd rather head home.

Edited by CadCom

3 hours ago, Twibanu said:

Emphasis mine. So technically cycle 7 is the earliest the gun comes into play, assuming no one currently has one. : P

• Gun - one time use, may kill any player you target unless they're protected by the vest

• 15 player game with 2 dying per cycle gives us a maximum game length of 7 turns. Since we cant use a gun from the black market until Turn 8, I think it might be more of a tool to prevent the game from stalling. As guns are 1 time uses, I think there is a decent chance one is floating around somewhere, but not more than one. If someone has a gun early in the game, they are close to guaranteed to be a Villager.

• Also, if you fire a gun, I can't think of a reason for a villager not to publicly claim that you did so? The gun is destroyed after use, so there is no particular target put on your head.

• Smoke Bomb - You cannot be observed with Binoculars. Using this doesn’t consume your action.

• So... as far as I can tell, this item only helps elims. But if anyone can think of any other reason for it to exist, please correct me. There might be a villager that starts with this item, but it doesn't really matter. I expect the elims will want one or two of these once turn three comes around

A few things I want to talk about in @Twibanus post:

CadCom is right, 2 points times 5 rounds means you'd be able to purchase a gun cycle 6. It's true that nobody can use it until turn seven. They also claim it can't be used until turn eight, which seems incorrect to me, but that's not really important. It's a long way off and honestly trivial at this point.

With knives, bullet-proof vests, and the different actions available, we can't guarantee that the game will have two kills per cycle, nor can we say that there is a max number of turns. Twibanu does bring up a good point about claiming to have used a gun though. I can think of one reason not to claim, but that really only comes into effect if you used the gun from the black market. If you waited all that time to get the gun then that most likely means that you don't have any/many other items which would make you a target for the elims. Plus if a villager killed an elim then the eliminators might want revenge. So it may well put a target on your back, just not as much of a target as in other games.

About smoke bombs, The reason for villagers to use them is to hide what items you have and what you're doing with them. Anybody can steal, so the more information anybody has on another players items, the more they can plan and strategize and the less they have to rely on luck for their plans to work out. Villagers want to hide information from the elims so that they can't plot and scheme. A smokebomb could hide that they stole a bullet-proof vest and the elims could waste a kill on them.

"Why is my bag empty?" Doc Olny turned the bag out to demonstrate, just in case anyone was listening. "I packed a whole bunch of tech in this bag for this trip. I had my newest Tracker Pad integrated with First One's tech so that I could detect epics. With it, this mission would be a breeze." None of the other mercenaries hired by the Doctor seemed to be listening to him. Well they would regret their ignorance, they would! He would show them all what happened to those who ignored him! He reached into his bag and rummaged around, searching for his Sonic Arrows. "Wait, why is my bag inside out? And empty?"

Right, before he punished them for ignoring him, he needed to punish them for stealing his stuff, which meant he needed to steal all his stuff back, or just build new stuff. He pursed his lips and looked around. Newcago was a dark city, full of imposingly shiny structures. Perfect ambiance for his work honestly. But where could he find the items he needed? "Hey jerks! I need someone to go make a supply run! I'll pay $147 for 3 pounds of laser diodes, and another $40 per intact computer tower you bring me!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! It's been a long time since I've played Mafia, so forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake. I don't know how much has changed since whenever it was I last actively played. The only thought I have right now is that we should keep track of how many strongboxes get bought, as it will probably give us a clue as to how many items are already in play. @BrightnessRadiant am I allowed to purchase items this turn with the points I would possibly be receiving?

Nathan Lancaster had always hated the Epics. One of them had torn through his hometown during their Rending and had taken the life of his best friend Mei. He spent the next five years of his life building together a group of people who had all lost loved ones in that Epic's wake, and they set out to kill him. The attack ultimately failed though, and it was only through the help of a local Reckoners group that he'd even managed to survive the failed mission. He spent the next year or so wandering the country, searching for the purpose in his life (while avoiding people who would be all to willing to turn him in for the bounty on his head). then he heard about the doctor's organization and what they were doing. Taking Epics and experimenting on them to help people. Well, it was a no-brainer to join them. He'd get to take down Epics and do some good for the world at the same time.

~

Okay, all that aside, I guess I should probably do some analysis. First things I've noticed, @BrightnessRadiant is there a limit on how many items you can hold at a time? Can you pass items to another player? Second, I would just like to point out that I think Twib just made a mistake when they said the earliest you could use the gun would be turn 8. I'd rather not lynch them for something like that, because that's the exact type of mistake I tend to make that gets me lynched. I would be interested to see how @Twibanu responds to everyone about his mistake.

Third, I'd be kinda surprised if there's 4 elims this game. Seems like a lot of elims when you consider the potential for them getting two kills if they get their hands on a gun, whether that's through stealing one from someone who started with one or getting the gun off the black market. At the same time, if the village started out with a gun, 3 elims is almost too little to me. It'd be all too likely for that villager to get a lucky shot on an elim in the early game and then the elims would spend the entire game just trying to recover from that, while also trying to not be suspicious. I don't know how BR would've decided to do the distribution (even though I know her well, I don't know if I've ever played any games she's run), and I'm not willing to make any hard bets yet. 

Fourth, I will totally be going for the gun on cycle 6. :ph34r:

Fifth, please don't lynch me D1 again. :P

Edited by StrikerEZ

4 hours ago, Twibanu said:

So, 15 players. That means likely 2-3 elims. I would assume 3 as of right now as one of the elims wont be using items while the entire village can use them.

3 hours ago, CadCom said:

Lets see, In a game of 15 players, there are probably 3 elims (Mayyyyybe 4, but unlikely, or maybe 3 with one member with a bulletproof vest) I would guess one elim doesn't have any items, one has a smoke bomb and the other has a knife maybe?

4 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Third, I'd be kinda surprised if there's 4 elims this game. Seems like a lot of elims when you consider the potential for them getting two kills if they get their hands on a gun, whether that's through stealing one from someone who started with one or getting the gun off the black market. At the same time, if the village started out with a gun, 3 elims is almost too little to me. It'd be all too likely for that villager to get a lucky shot on an elim in the early game and then the elims would spend the entire game just trying to recover from that, while also trying to not be suspicious. I don't know how BR would'v decided to do the distribution (even though I know her well, I don't know if I've ever played any games she's run), and I'm not willing to make any hard bets yet.

I believe, based on the types of items in the game, we're more likely to have 4 elims in the game, 3 at absolute minimum. Items like the knife and gun that can take out elims, binoculars that can spot them, and vests that can block kills are all things that will hamper elims efforts. It's just as possible for village to get these items (if not more possible, since we have more people). Besides, theft is also another thing that can cause problems for elims.

56 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

About smoke bombs, The reason for villagers to use them is to hide what items you have and what you're doing with them. Anybody can steal, so the more information anybody has on another players items, the more they can plan and strategize and the less they have to rely on luck for their plans to work out. Villagers want to hide information from the elims so that they can't plot and scheme. A smokebomb could hide that they stole a bullet-proof vest and the elims could waste a kill on them.

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially if elims get their hands on binoculars. Villagers should be careful about making it obvious they have the smoke bomb, just so they don't become a target of theft. 

5 hours ago, Twibanu said:

Is someone able to spend their action to pass their item to someone else?

5 hours ago, Twibanu said:

Is a player allowed to pass a Strongbox? What if the box has an Item in it?

@BrightnessRadiant, I echo these questions, just in case they were missed.

21 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Fifth, please don't lynch me D1 again.

Awww. Ruin all my fun, why don't you. (Also, I thought you were specifically asking the person, Fifth, to not lynch you. I became very confused for a moment.)

I'll RP later, when I actually get an idea worth RPing.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:09 PM, Elandera said:

I believe, based on the types of items in the game, we're more likely to have 4 elims in the game, 3 at absolute minimum. Items like the knife and gun that can take out elims, binoculars that can spot them, and vests that can block kills are all things that will hamper elims efforts. It's just as possible for village to get these items (if not more possible, since we have more people). Besides, theft is also another thing that can cause problems for elims.

The one advantage elims would have with a smaller team is that it’d be much less likely for the village to be able to catch them early on with stuff like binoculars or the gun/knife. They’d be far more likely to just hit another villager. But there’s always the chance that a villager or two gets lucky, and that kinda feels like leaving the chances of the elims winning up to chance. So I dunno. I’d be curious to see BR's thoughts on why she chose whichever distribution she did after the game’s over, because I’m not even sure which team size I would’ve picked.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:09 PM, Elandera said:

Awww. Ruin all my fun, why don't you. (Also, I thought you were specifically asking the person, Fifth, to not lynch you. I became very confused for a moment.)

Ruining people’s fun is my job. :P

Also, I definitely noticed that thing about Fifth too. That’s why I said fifth instead of last :P

Edited by StrikerEZ