Ba-Ado-Mishram, the Autonomous

Gilphon

I have to say I love this idea. I never did have any idea regarding how Autonomy could've helped Odium against Honor. This fits nicely with Autonomy's Intent seeing humans as the oppressive force and the resulting Slaveform as well. It could also be a great introduction to Autonomy and her Avatars.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to treat Connection in general as something Autonomy is against- it's a pretty fundamental property of the Spiritual realm. And is, y'know, the principle behind the Aviar, which is a magic system we know is more about Autonomy than it is any other Shard. And surely every Avatar is Connected to Autonomy as a whole, right? I think it's fine by them as long as you're not using it for mind control or oppression or anything else that's obviously contrary to their intent.

As for Voidlight... well, for one, I'm not 100% convinced that Voidlight is Odium specific. We haven't gotten what I would consider a clear explanation for what it is- it might be a general form of corrupted Stormlight. But even leading that aside, even after becoming an Avatar, Ba-Ado-Mishram would still be an Unmade and would therefore still be heavily linked to Odium. So even if what she was giving the Singers wasn't exactly the same as Voidlight, it would've had similarities. Surely it would've been close enough that Radiants who only knew Voidlight from 2000 year old historical documents wouldn't have been able to tell the difference, right?

2 hours ago, bnel21 said:

I like this theory a lot.  I don't think Brandon would count an avatar being present as there being a Shard on the planet so that WOB doesn't poke any holes at this point.  Nice work.  

Patji counts as a Shard with an asterisk, so I wouldn't be so sure.

I don't think Autonomy would provide something similar to Voidlight. Stormlight and Cultivationlight are quite distinctive and I don't see any reason why Autonomylight would be different.

Also, the Unmade were specifically confirmed to be of Odium:

WeiryWriter

Are the Unmade Splinters of Odium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Good guess.

/r/books AMA 2015 (March 12, 2015)

There is definitely something weird about Ba-Ado-Mishram though. Maybe Ba-Ado-Mishram is simply an Odium Avatar? It could explain why she and the rest of the Unmade weren't imprisoned on Braize

Edited by KandraAllomancer

You're misunderstanding what I'm suggesting, I think. I'm not suggesting that Autonomy created Ba-Ado-Mishram, but that they co-opted Ba-Ado-Mishram by heaping a bunch of investiture on top of her. Which would be why she suddenly manifested new powers. So I'm not saying anything that would contradict the idea of the Unmade being of Odium.

And, if we make the assumption that Voidlight is in indeed Odium-specific, I don't see any reason to assume that Light from a creature with a bunch of Odium investiture and a bunch of Autonomy investiture would be so dramatically different from Voidlight that people who had no first hand knowledge with Voidlight couldn't possibly confuse the two. Like I could imagine that if any of the Fused had been around at the time, they would've noticed some differences, but nobody else would necessarily know.

Indeed, I don't even think we'd be looking at any new Forms; just the Investiture fuelling the forms acting in different ways. Like how Voidlight and Stormlight can fuel the same set of Surges. 

On 7.12.2019 at 2:50 AM, Gilphon said:

You're misunderstanding what I'm suggesting, I think. I'm not suggesting that Autonomy created Ba-Ado-Mishram, but that they co-opted Ba-Ado-Mishram by heaping a bunch of investiture on top of her.

I'm fairly sure that how BAM was created (well, unmade) in the first place. She used to be something else, but then she became a Splinter of Odium. By the same logic, she should be considered a Splinter of Autonomy after the transformation you describe. This also doesn't sound like Autonomy to me because:

A. Rayse would probably see this as a hostile action (he works with others, but only when he's in charge) and they seem to have been allies so far

B. Autonomy used to create Avatars instead of corrupting Investiture in the past, and I don't see why she would change her modus operandi out of the sudden

Something was definitely happening to Ba-Ado-Mishram (and Sja-anat as well), but I think it was something more subtle (like spiritweb modification rather than full-on co-opting Investiture) and aimed at hurting Odium (even if it didn't work out with BAM). Also, I can see two culprits more likely than Autonomy on Roshar: Cultivation and whoever/whatever Unity is

Edited by KandraAllomancer

That's the point of the WoB I quoted; the standard way Avatars are created is by altering something that already exists. What I'm suggesting is Autonomy's usual MO. Like how the Avatars we've seen elsewhere were well-known figures in locals religion before they became Avatars. 

And Ba-Ado-Mishram is definitely subordinate to Odium- and since Avatars have their own will and mind, Autonomy wouldn't have changed that, so I'd say it's well within the 'when he's in charge' clause of what you said. It's Autonomy saying 'hey, let me work my magic with your minion there a bit- I don't worry, she'll still answer to you- and help you finally beat Honor'. (Or, well, I actually have a theory that says there should be a bunch of unused Autonomy investiture on every planet that doesn't already have an Avatar, so it might even have more along the lines of Ba-Ado-Mishram saying 'hey boss, I found a great new power source!', but I don't really want to get super into that because its a mostly separate theory.)

And, well, you're gonna have justify how empowering Ba-Ado-Mishram and starting a Desolation could've been meant to hurt Odium. Like certainly it backfired horribly if that was the idea, given that that's the generation that saw Honor get killed. 

18 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Or, well, I actually have a theory that says there should be a bunch of unused Autonomy investiture on every planet that doesn't already have an Avatar, so it might even have more along the lines of Ba-Ado-Mishram saying 'hey boss, I found a great new power source!', but I don't really want to get super into that because its a mostly separate theory.

I think that's exactly how Avatars work - Shard might have access to infinite power, but their minds are finite and there must be a lot of unused Investiture lying around:

Questioner

For Adonalsium to create the universe, therefore he must have infinite power to create an infinitely sized universe. Therefore, infinity divided by sixteen is equal to infinity. Therefore, why don't the Shards have infinite power, which they clearly don't, because they can be killed?

Brandon Sanderson

The power can't be killed. The entity controlling the power can. Infinite power existing and being able to access the infinite power are different things, and a finite mind, even added to a very powerful sense of power, isn't necessarily able to tap all of that.

Questioner

What about Ruin and Preservation in Well of Ascension? We hear about Ruin using some of its power. Therefore, it must not have infinite power, because if you minus something from infinity, it's still infinity...

Brandon Sanderson

So, infinite power is changing forms. It's not going anywhere, right? So, the Investiture, the power, is becoming energy, which is doing work, which is being released back into the system. Nothing's growing or shrinking. It is simply changing forms, and potential energy is becoming kinetic.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Avatars seem to be a way to bypass that limitation

That's the point of the WoB I quoted; the standard way Avatars are created is by altering something that already exists.

By the logic above, that something would be Autonomy's free Investiture

And, well, you're gonna have justify how empowering Ba-Ado-Mishram and starting a Desolation could've been meant to hurt Odium.

That would be hard to prove, but I think the alternative (that it was meant to help Odium), is not very likely - simply because Rayse would probably consider it a hostile action. Based on his conversation with Turash on Thaylen Field, he seems to want to be in complete charge of the situation and be able to control his minions. On a more personal note, I don't think I would trust Bavadin in this situation and I don't think Rayse would be less paranoid than me :)

And Ba-Ado-Mishram is definitely subordinate to Odium- and since Avatars have their own will and mind, Autonomy wouldn't have changed that, so I'd say it's well within the 'when he's in charge' clause of what you said.

Creating an Avatar subordinate to someone else seems to be very much against Autonomy's Intent

37 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

I think that's exactly how Avatars work - Shard might have access to infinite power, but their minds are finite and there must be a lot of unused Investiture lying around

Well, I mean, yes, there is the ambient Investiture, but- And now you've made me get into the whole other theory I referred to above- I actually think that Autonomy is spread their Investiture everywhere in a way that the other Shards aren't. Specifically, since we know that Bavadin is invested in a star and spreading the Investiture through the starlight, and something with the right know-how could use Autonomy's Investiture from anywhere you can see the star, there should be a extra Autonomy Investiture collecting everywhere that isn't being used for anything. A very small amount at a time, but if it stays unused for thousands of years, that trickle of power is going to add up something formidable. 

Making an Avatar at that point wouldn't even necessarily take conscious effort- or even a conscious decision- on Bavarian's part, which fits because We know it's possible for an Avatar to be formed without a conscious decision. All it would take would be something discovering and choosing to claim all that power. Or that not happening for long enough that the Investiture develops a mind on its own, but I think the former case is what happened on Roshar.

35 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

That would be hard to prove, but I think the alternative (that it was meant to help Odium), is not very likely - simply because Rayse would probably consider it a hostile action. Based on his conversation with Turash on Thaylen Field, he seems to want to be in complete charge of the situation and be able to control his minions. On a more personal note, I don't think I would trust Bavadin in this situation and I don't think Rayse would be less paranoid than me

Additionally, we know that Odium's working with somebody here; his shocked cry when Dalinar ascends is 'We killed you!', after all. That didn't strike me as a 'me and my minions' kind of 'we', y'know? More like a 'me and my allies' kind of 'we'. I know that's a bit vague, but I hope you're following me on it. So, like, if he has an ally helping him on Roshar, surely Autonomy is the most likely candidate, right? Hold apparently has a vendetta against both Bavadin and Rayse, so surely it follows that if Rayse is positively inclined towards any of them, it would be Bavadin. Especially because Autonomy's just been created a bunch of not-a-threat-to-Odium Mini-Shards rather than challenging his desired position as overall top dog.

38 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

Creating an Avatar subordinate to someone else seems to be very much against Autonomy's Intent

There's grey area here. I'd argue that's more like Autonomy just didn't force Ba-Ado-Mishram to betray Odium; that they gave BAM the tools to free the Singers from oppression and otherwise didn't force their will onto her, which, for a splinter of Odium means sticking with Odium's overall agenda. (It should be possible to be a splinter of two different Shards, shouldn't it? No, yeah, it has to be, because surely it's possible for something to be a splinter of Harmony. So I suppose you say could that under my theory, BAM would be a splinter of whatever the Autonomy+Odium shard name would be. Rebellion? Defiance?)

Lastly, I want to take this moment to thank you for engaging me on this. You're helping me work out the kinks in the idea, and really the worst case scenario for a theory like this is if nobody cares enough to voice their disagreements.

On 10.12.2019 at 7:16 PM, Gilphon said:

Lastly, I want to take this moment to thank you for engaging me on this. You're helping me work out the kinks in the idea, and really the worst case scenario for a theory like this is if nobody cares enough to voice their disagreements.

You're welcome :) I've enjoyed our discussion as well :)

The Book 4 Release Date topic reminded me about Feverstone Keep (somehow I completely forgot about it) - this might shed some light on BAM's motives and has good chance of coming up in Book 4 (I think), so we may get some answers relatively soon

On 10.12.2019 at 7:16 PM, Gilphon said:

Additionally, we know that Odium's working with somebody here; his shocked cry when Dalinar ascends is 'We killed you!', after all.

Autonomy is very likely to be part of the 'we' here, but I'm wondering who the 'you' is. Honor? Some Shard on Ashyn? Adonalsium? Probably the biggest RAFO on my personal list of things I'd like to know about Stormlight :)

I mean, the 'you' has got to refer to Unity, which I realize isn't much of an answer, but still.

I personally subscribe to the theory that Unity is just Dalinar's interpretation of the Shard Tanavast interpreted as Honor, but I realize that that's not an idea that everyone agrees with.

I mean, theoretically it could, but I don't think we need this theory to explain that- The Stormspren were probably made by corrupting some other kind of spren, and Odium's probably perfectly capable of doing that without help from Autonomy. Even if he can't do it directly, surely he could send Sja-Anat to go do it for him.

On 12.12.2019 at 11:22 PM, Gilphon said:

I personally subscribe to the theory that Unity is just Dalinar's interpretation of the Shard Tanavast interpreted as Honor, but I realize that that's not an idea that everyone agrees with.

I agree that Unity seems to be, at least partially, of Honor. There is still the issue of the voice talking to Dalinar - an Avatar of Honor maybe?

Quite possilby- It was suggested on Shardcast that Dalinar might be in the process of becoming an Avatar of Honor. If so, that voice would probably be the way he was feeling the Shard's Intent. Like, he doesn't seem to able to have a conversation with that voice or anything; it just passively tells him to 'Unite Them'. 

But that's still an incomplete explanation for Dalinar's weirdness- the weird Nohadon vision in OB strikes me as having Cultivation's fingerprints all over it, so she might be monkeying with his brain beyond just the amnesia. And then there's the vision of his childhood at the end of WoR, and the strange light he's felt a few times. I don't know, there's a lot weird about Dalinar, and I don't feel fully confident in my ability to properly untangle that knot. 

• Chaos locked this topic