The Mandalorian

Philomath

55 minutes ago, Nameless said:

It's basically free. All they have to do is make a show, call it "Ashoka" and put in an actor with white laser swords and orange facepaint.

Nah, the fans would riot at such a horrible misspelling of Ahsoka.

Edited by Knight of Iron

On 12/21/2020 at 8:45 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

So Book of Boba Fett is it's own thing.  Do we know when it'll be released or do we just know the title?

On the topic of this here's what's coming in like the next 2-3 years if anyone was curious:

• Mandalorian Season 3 - Christmas 2021 - TV Show Live Action
  • Book of Boba Fett (Boba after Season 3 of Mando) - December 2021 - TV Show Live Action
  • Star Wars: The Bad Batch (about Clone Force 99 featured in Season 7 of Clone Wars) - TBD 2021 - TV Show Animated
  • Ahsoka (Ahsoka after leaving Order most likely) - Christmas 2021 or 2022 - TV Show Live Action
  • Andor (Rogue One Prequal) - TBD 2022 - TV Show Live Action
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi (spin-off with Obi Wan of some sort) - TBD 2022ish - TV Show Live Action
  • Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic (expanding on New Republic don't know yet) - TBD - TV Show Live Action
  • The Acolyte (mystery thriller in High Republic era) - TBD - TV Show Live Action
  • Lando (show about Lando Calrissian) - TBD - TV Show Live Action
  • Rogue Squadron (something about Rogue Squadron founded by Luke around Empire Strikes Back) - December 2023 - Movie Live Action
On 12/23/2020 at 0:08 PM, StormingTexan said:

So is everyone else pretty hyped about getting The Book of Boba AND Mandalorian Season 3? I really like where Disney is going with this. Helps restore my faith in them after the last two sequel movies. 

Yeahhhhh... I mean yes me too. I did see a piece on this though saying basically, "Yes these are great but whatever they do you still end up at the same stupid Rise of Skywalker ending" and I was like huh yeah honestly that is kinda true. Like they can explain it as much as they want but you already have a set dumb ending

I think a certain section of the fanbase will have their own headcanon and ignore the sequels just like a certain set ignore the prequels.  Honestly, viewing it as 'you end up at the same stupid place' robs the ability to fully enjoy what you have in front of you.  I never want to be there.

I kinda really hope they put something in place to this akin to how Marvel had Kevin Feige over everything, someone to make sure everything fits and communicates together.  Maybe that's Favreau and Filoni, maybe not, but I think they'd all benefit from it.

5 hours ago, Mulk said:

I think a certain section of the fanbase will have their own headcanon and ignore the sequels just like a certain set ignore the prequels.  Honestly, viewing it as 'you end up at the same stupid place' robs the ability to fully enjoy what you have in front of you.  I never want to be there.

I think that just pretending the sequels don't exist is the best option. Just watch everything and hope the sequels are never mentioned again.

12 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

99.8% of me agrees with you, and 0.2% of me that's full of optimistic nostalgia is hoping that somehow something will make the sequels become good movies.

The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker are okay, but The Last Jedi is, in my opinion, unsalvageable.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:19 PM, Mulk said:

Yeah I agree totally and that's why I wasn't fully with the article. It is a good point though and why retconning in new stories to older time periods is just kinda eh. You can't really introduce anything new because anything you do has to be destroyed at the end.

It's kinda why the end of Fallen Order was meh. You do a lot of work to then undo your work to put it in vague unspoilery terms. This is merely because if Cal had done the thing he was doing we'd have the "well why wasn't he...." questions all over.

Stories in established time periods are the safe insurance bet but aren't equipped as well to make something new. I would like to see them expand beyond (after) the movies so the stories can have lasting effects

Edited by Scout_Fox

@Scout_Fox Not necessarily. 

It just means that you have to frame the story properly. For Star Wars, an example would be Ahsoka. One would wonder back in the day why one should care about her character, after all she can't affect the events of Episode 3 and subsequent films and there was the whole Order 66 issue. 

Yet, a lot of people ended up caring, and continue to do so. This is due in part with how they handled her story and fallout of Order 66 (we ended up having years getting used to the idea that 1. Some Jedis did survive Order 66 and 2. She survived it) but also because the focus was on her. Her story happened to take place during the main movies, but her story wasn't ABOUT the main movies. 

Thus, you can have, say, a very satisfying duel between Ahsoka and Darth Vader even though we know Ahsoka can not end up defeating or turning Darth Vader to the Lightside.

Which also shows that spoilers aren't that big a deal, but that's another discussion :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:10 PM, Nameless said:

The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker are okay, but The Last Jedi is, in my opinion, unsalvageable.

I find myself remembering a time when it was all one story with one guy behind it, which is my biggest beef with the sequels, they don't feel like a Trilogy at all. JJ made an alright film with VII, which was mostly about setting up the nest two films, which Ryan Johnson promptly threw all of that in the trash for the sake of "subverting expectations." Then JJ came back and promptly threw everything that Johnson built up and threw that in the trash, trying to write two films in one. If you ask me, the prequels had several redeeming qualities (You could tell that they were a trilogy, they continued with the Star Wars tradition of pushing the boundaries of what's possible for special effects, they rhymed with and built up the OT, and many others), and the prequel's biggest pitfall was taken care of (this pitfall being that the story was simply too big for just three movies, which was solved by the Clone Wars 2008 TV show). I just don't see the redeeming qualities for the sequels, nor do I really see a way for them to fix any of the numerous major pitfalls. 

Mini-rant over, for now.