Feruchemy Savant

StanLemon

So it seems Brandon has changed his mind or at the least elaborated more on the possibility of a Feruchemy Savant

Questioner

There are Allomantic savants, are there Feruchemical savants?

Brandon Sanderson

Much harder to do. My feeling on Feruchemical savants was because it was your own power in the first place, you can't steep in it so much in the way. But, if you can get someone else's power or if you are fueling your Feruchemy another way, you would become one. So, the Lord Ruler is a good example.

Questioner

Was Miles a...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. Miles would be the same sort of thing.

Questioner

Is that why he didn't die as quickly in the execution?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

So yeah. Normally no but if you can Compound you become... basically that is how I am explaining part of the Compounding abilities. 

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

So for now Compounding is the only viable method for savantism in Feruchemy aside from getting it fuelled by a Shard

Nicrosil Ferrings sound like they might attain savanthood sooner than others to me

That sounds reasonable to me.  The only examples of "someone else's power" I can think of are Nicrosil and Hemalurgy, and we know that Hemalurgy alters your Identity into a muddled amalgamation of yourself and the spike, so that might still be too much "you own" for Savantism.   Now, if you figured out how to Fuel your Feruchemy with some other magic system (Breaths, Stormlight, Dor, Sand, etc) that should also do it, and we know of several circumstances to get us there, given that there is a Kandra on Roshar, and that Era 4 will feature lots of shardworld crossover in general.  Not to mention all the Trell shenanigans.  

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

That sounds reasonable to me.  The only examples of "someone else's power" I can think of are Nicrosil and Hemalurgy, and we know that Hemalurgy alters your Identity into a muddled amalgamation of yourself and the spike, so that might still be too much "you own" for Savantism.   Now, if you figured out how to Fuel your Feruchemy with some other magic system (Breaths, Stormlight, Dor, Sand, etc) that should also do it, and we know of several circumstances to get us there, given that there is a Kandra on Roshar, and that Era 4 will feature lots of shardworld crossover in general.  Not to mention all the Trell shenanigans.  

A small correction: the Sand, or rather the organisms on the Sand, just capture the Investiture which comes in the form of sunlight

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

A small correction: the Sand, or rather the organisms on the Sand, just capture the Investiture which comes in the form of sunlight

Fair point.  I was thinking of it as "charged Sand", but that's still the container more than a physical Investiture like Stormlight or Breath. 

Fun Fact, if you know what you are doing and where to look, it's technically possible to charge sand from other planets since one of those points of starlight is Taladin's larger Sun.   

1 minute ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Fair point.  I was thinking of it as "charged Sand", but that's still the container more than a physical Investiture like Stormlight or Breath. 

Fun Fact, if you know what you are doing and where to look, it's technically possible to charge sand from other planets since one of those points of starlight is Taldain's larger Sun.   

It would probably take days, or rather nights to recharge, maybe even weeks

Edited by Honorless

I have to check the WoB that support this, but I believe the White Sand Spoilers

Spoiler

Lichen can feed off of any investiture, so you could power the sand with stormlight or breaths and such. I believe it also works on any sand, as it is the lichen that causes the effect, not the sand itself I believe. But I am going on recollection, so don't quote me. 

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, Pathfinder said:

I have to check the WoB that support this, but I believe the White Sand Spoilers

You are correct. SA because some people think meaningful information can be extracted from this statement out of context.

Spoiler

The sand in the ghost vault in SA is a kind of alarm.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Not to be that guy, but this is the Mistborn thread, which is why I spoilered White Sand. 

I spoke in terms general enough that I seriously doubt anyone could figure out any meaningful spoiler information. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 AM, Pathfinder said:

Hide contents

Lichen can feed off of any investiture, so you could power the sand with stormlight or breaths and such. I believe it also works on any sand, as it is the lichen that causes the effect, not the sand itself I believe. But I am going on recollection, so don't quote me. 

I believe you are correct, and that we saw that in OB

Spoiler

when the jar of sand that Hoid had turned white when exposed to Shallan.  

1 hour ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I am not sure that we can rely on Hoid scenes to tell us much.  He has a lot of weird stuff going on with him.

That's not Hoid weirdness. That's just the way it works. 

Spoiler

Questioner

Mraize's Basement Emporium. Is that more like a trophy room or a "In case of emergencies" room?

Multiple people

Or a bank vault?

Or a weapon's vault?

Or both?

Brandon Sanderson

So, yes...

I mean, he can't use the Aether, right? ...He can't use the Aether, he doesn't have an Aether. But the sand, the sand does stuff. So a handful of sand is a really useful amount of sand to have if you're not a sandmaster. Because sand reacts to Investiture. So if you let it fade and you take it somewhere, as soon as Investiture goes kinetic, it'll turn white again. So you'll be able to use it to tell who's using Inve-- it works just like a Seeker, like bronze pulses...

So having white sand, having sand around is really good. If you can keep the little beasties that are growing on the sand around, they will react to basically the Investiture equivalent of radiation. So that's handy.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's not Hoid weirdness. That's just the way it works. 

I know I pointed this out

Here

On 12/5/2019 at 10:20 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

You are correct

however in the scene referenced Hoid could have been using Yolish Lightweaving for example.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

I know I pointed this out

Here

however in the scene referenced Hoid could have been using Yolish Lightweaving for example.

There is a recent WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can a Highstorm recharge sand from Taldain, and would that sand be charged with Stormlight or would it be masterable?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It would recharge the sand, and it would be masterable, not Stormlight

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

Edited by Pathfinder

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

There is a recent WoB:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can a Highstorm recharge sand from Taldain, and would that sand be charged with Stormlight or would it be masterable?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It would recharge the sand, and it would be masterable, not Stormlight

American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

Yup.  I think this is the same thing as when he said gems exposed to some other Shard's perpendicularity would still be charged (though I dont think the older WOB actually confirmed what type of investiture would fill them, I assumed it was stormlight.)

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

So the lichen automatically converts Investiture into its compatible usable form, interesting...

I would liken it to

Spoiler

Larkins and Nightblood.

They feed on investiture, any investiture. The byproduct on the other hand is unique

Spoiler

(mastering). 

Edited by Pathfinder