Elantrian Feruchemical Compounding (Slight Spoilers for the Final Empire)

MistLord

So as I'm looking at a quote from Brandon:

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

Now, as we've understood it, this means that whatever power Allomancy taps into, Feruchemy can siphon it off. Taking it into a larger context however, you can realise that this means that an End-Neutral System can effectively be powered by a End-Positive System.

Imagine a Feruchemist Worldhopping the Cosmere, only to return to Elantris after an exciting day - as they arrive, they activate the Aons they have inscribed on their MetalMinds, and instantly they are fully recharged. That's only where the possibilities begin! (I've just realised that using Stormlight to fuel Awakening is essentially Compounding - good on you, Vasher).

Sorry if this has been realised before, but I just had my mind blown and needed an outlet. 

I've also very curious to see how this relates to End-Negative Systems, or even Reverse-Compounding (as I believe we have WoB that the Lord Ruler enhanced his Allomancy with Feruchemy).

On another note, I'm going to begin compiling notes on how to make the most overpowered being in the Cosmere. Examples of this would be abusing this version of Feruchemical Compounding, an Awakened Mistcloak, Nahel Bond Spren, Awakened sword, Honourblade, etc,. I would be most delighted to see if anyone else can come up with some overpowered combinations.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks  :D I feel now I probably should've emphasised the whole "Net-Neutral Systems can be powered by Net-Positive System and this is what it means to Compound" but I was a little overcome by the whole Elantrian Feruchemy setup. 

Ah yes! I've wondered how Feruchemy can enhance Allomancy often, but I hadn't considered other end-positive systems affecting end-neutral systems. Now how could we use an end-positive system to enhance Awakening? Hmmm…

Ah yes! I've wondered how Feruchemy can enhance Allomancy often, but I hadn't considered other end-positive systems affecting end-neutral systems. Now how could we use an end-positive system to enhance Awakening? Hmmm…

Take in Stormlight, Awaken with it?

That quote is a direct answer to one of my exact questions on my list to potentially ask Brandon. The question, word for word, is:

"When you burn metals, are the metals themselves fueling Allomancy, or are they similar to Aons, acting as keys or doorways?"

Glad I found this before I asked an answered question. :)

No problem  :D I came across the idea when corrected by Tempus himself when it was the metals providing the power (due to an in-book misunderstanding where the characters thought the power came from the metals). If you ever do get to ask Brandon a question, ask him why isn't Renarin a Dustbringer! He fits the divine attributes so much!

a Forger, from Sel (the emperors soul) could probably steal breath from people on Nathis (stamp both people with the same soulstamp and the Breath can't tell which is which)

a KR, or even a Squire, on Scadrial, could probably do what Vin did with the mists, in Hero of Ages

----------

Added:

Brandon said

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

-

That quote is a direct answer to one of my exact questions on my list to potentially ask Brandon. The question, word for word, is:

"When you burn metals, are the metals themselves fueling Allomancy, or are they similar to Aons, acting as keys or doorways?"

Glad I found this before I asked an answered question. :)

I tried to explain this concept in another thread (with reference to Ferrochemy).
 I was right, but my explanation must have really sucked, because no one understood/agreed

Edited by entropicscholar

• Chaos locked this topic