Future of the Reckoners series

Pagerunner

Hey Reckoners fans. I've been doing some work on wob.coppermind.net, and some pretty big info has recently come out about the future of the series. I haven't read these books, but you'd probably all appreciate knowing it.

First of all, Apocalypse Guard has been even more officially cancelled. Dan Wells had been doing some revisions on it, but that plug has been pulled entirely:

DreadPirateKaldona

I hold out misguided hope we may eventually get a sequel with [Obliteration]. u/mistborn are you listening :-) ?

Brandon Sanderson

Listening. I'm trying to find a way to do some more Reckoners, now that the Apocalypse Guard fell apart.

mraize7

Does that mean that Apocalypse Guard will not be done? The last news was that you would do it with Dan Wells!!

Brandon Sanderson

Dan did a pretty good revision, but at the end, he felt it was still missing something. We agreed that it might not be right to do now. Maybe someday I'll release it to fans, and see what they think the problem is.

General Reddit 2019 (Oct. 28, 2019)

But there is another collaborative project in the works, a sequel series following a different team of Reckoners, by author Steven Bohls:

Steven Bohls

The most exciting project I'm working on right now. I discussed before getting to know Brandon Sanderson, and we ended up becoming really good friends. And he has a book series, the Reckoners series: Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity. And he was approached a little while ago by Audible. They saw a lot of success with those books on Audible and wanted him to write a spinoff series for it. But he's got a lot on his plate right now, and he actually asked me to pick it up for him. It's been really exciting.

He's been fairly hands-off, which has been both good and bad. I wish I had a little bit more direction, but it's also been nice to have full autonomy. He just kind of said, "Take it where you want." Right now, we have this spinoff series of a different team of Reckoners set in that Steelheart world. But we decided just a few weeks ago that we wanted to consolidate these books when we go to print and kinda change them a little bit to actually be Book Four and continue the series. Four, Five, and Six, and stuff. It'll hopefully mash together these two different Reckoners teams.

It's pretty exciting. They have kind of a demanding schedule for these three novellas, but it'll be shorter books for Audible. But once we can go to print (Audible's gonna hold the rights on them for two years, and then we get to go to his press, Delacorte), that's when it'll be released as Book Four.

Take Me Away

That's a really interest project to be taking over and moving new direction at the same time.

Steven Bohls

It's tricky because, when he approached me about the project, he said, "Okay. We want this to be a series that people don't have to have read any of the Reckoners books before, and they can just pick it up fresh. But we also want it to be satisfying to everyone who's read it before. And also we want it to be three independent books that are following a new team. And also we want it to be a sequel." So it was super intimidating. I kept telling myself, "Okay, I can do that." And then it got more involved and more involved, trying to simultaneously make it a sequel as well as a spinoff has been a little bit challenging.

So far it's going really well. I'm almost done with the first one in the spinoff trilogy.

Miscellaneous 2019 (Nov. 24, 2019)

On 12/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, Pagerunner said:

Hey Reckoners fans. I've been doing some work on wob.coppermind.net, and some pretty big info has recently come out about the future of the series. I haven't read these books, but you'd probably all appreciate knowing it.

First of all, Apocalypse Guard has been even more officially cancelled. Dan Wells had been doing some revisions on it, but that plug has been pulled entirely:

But there is another collaborative project in the works, a sequel series following a different team of Reckoners, by author Steven Bohls:

I didn't know about this! Thanks for the update! This year's State of the Sanderson is gonna be full of fun stuff then, if we get an "official" announcement. 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, swlotrgirl said:

Oh wow. I'm really sad about The Apocalypse Guard, but I would love it if more Reckoners books came out. I don't know how I feel about a different author writing them, though...

Same! Maybe he'll end up mashing it with another idea he's had that hasn't worked and fix it someday...or at least get the Mizzy novel done...

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well now we have some updates in this year's SotS. Three novellas, written as one "episode" or "book," if you will. The first one, going off of what we know, is called Deathrise. Bohls is revising something now, and maybe that with that revision and announcement teaser we'll get some more information!

Steven Bohls on Instagram: “Writing a book is fun. Revising a book is not. I've been working on an exciting project for a while, and I'm excited to finally share it…”

...and that update is really just Steven saying "I'm working on stuff in this world, but I can't share much of it yet!" Which I guess means "no news is good news." 

Steven Bohls - Steven Bohls

From the website: 

It's a frustrating thing to sit on the most exciting news you can imagine for more than a year, but at long last, the world knows:

In August 2019, Brandon Sanderson and I teamed up to begin expanding the Reckoners universe established in his best-selling novels, Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity, as well as his short story, "Mitosis".

The expanded universe follows, as Brandon himself put it, "a new group of Reckoners in the same universe" as beloved characters like David, Prof, and Mizzy. 

If you're here looking for more information... well, I obviously know more, but I can't give you anything more than Brandon did in his "State of Sanderson" post. Suffice it to say, I'm honored and proud of the forthcoming project, and I hope, beyond hope, that fans of Brandon's writing love it just as much as they've loved the original novels.

Steven Bohls on Twitter: "Write an expansion to the #Reckoners universe alongside @BrandSanderson? Why, don't mind if I do: https://t.co/SoY78VLEod https://t.co/KfCW4Y5BFS" / Twitter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...