Knight of Iron

Summing up this one Q&A at the starsight release thing. It's not on the Arcanum WoB thing yet but someone should put it on there. Link to the question is at the bottom.
Basically, he says it is indeed possible for a Mistborn to burn a piece of a Shardblade, though it would be hard to make happen. If a Mistborn were to do this, it would act as an alloy of the godmetal of Honor and would do something (of course, what it does is a RAFO). Now, I appreciate y'all's thoughts on this or what it might do, though I don't think we can go very far there.

However, I would also like to point to the fact that, including all the godmetals and their alloys and all that, there should be a lot of different metals, each (likely) with Allomantic, Feruchemical, and Hemalurgic abilities. My main problem is I am, really, out of ideas when it comes to what any of these new and unknown metals would be able to do. Like, what we already have covers a lot. What else is there?

And that is where I invite ideas on new powers and abilities for metals. Check out all the ideas (not necessarily theories) inside the spoiler thing. I will edit it when new ideas come along.

Spoiler

Feruchemy

Color: While storing up color, the Feruchemist is colorless, but when it is tapped, they are vibrant with colors. Useful for Awakening, I would think.

Compassion: If they can store up determination, surely they could store up compassion. While storing, they are heartless and generally evil, and while tapping, they are super compassionate. This would be problematic as neither would want the other. While storing, you wouldn't ever want to tap, and while tapping you wouldn't ever really want to store. A real dangerous one.

Time: Now, this would be pretty cool. When storing, time for them slows down like cadmium, but when they are tapping it it works like bendalloy. I can definitely see this as an ability.

Allomancy

Feruchemy: Yeah, yeah, a little confusing. But lerasium literally just gives you the full powers of Allomancy by, like, changing your genetics or something. Well, there could be a metal or alloy out there that just gives you full powers of Feruchemy.

Thoughts? The ideas don't even have to be viable, just interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lgxCojYzY at point 55:49

Edited by Knight of Iron

Each shard should have its own metal so that would give you another 14 godmetals plus 16 alloys of each metal(don't get me started on alloying different godmetals).  Honestly I think burning any godmetal should give you access to that magic system for as long as burned.  As such Honorium would let you surgebind for as long as burned.  Trellium might give you sand mastery and so on.  However what about atium.  First Preservation did weird stuff to atium.  Secondly no one has tried hemalurgy while burning.  Perhaps it helps you hit bind points somehow? 

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

The effects of Tanavastium, Raysium, Bavadinium, Edglium... interesting.

I think you'd need to alloy the godmetal with Lerasium to be able to access their Investiture

Snarlezz

What's the incentive of alloying lerasium and becoming a misting when you could just burn it normal and be a Mistborn?

AltF4WillHelp

My guess is that you'd presumably you'd use less of it? Also, arguably, not every way of using a magic is going to be the most optimal way.

It's probably just a way that lerasium can work. If you alloy it or somehow mix it with things from other systems, it's quite possible you'd end up getting those magics instead, because it'd Connect you more strongly to a different Shard.

Brandon Sanderson

The replies to this are correct.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 12, 2018)

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

Shardblades are more invested than the bands of mourning: 

Questioner

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

The "Shard" refers to the heavy Investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will see are the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon, is kind of how I would define it.

Questioner

So are the Bands [of Mourning] one?

Brandon Sanderson

I would not call them one, but they are close. They're not Invested enough.

So burning Tanavastium should have... interesting effects to say the least. Personally, I hope that it makes you a surgebinder permanently just so that a Mistborn could do this:

Mistborn: hey buddy, how small can your shardblade go? could it go down to like a small pellet?

Surgebinder: yeah sure Summons blade as small pellet.

Mistborn: Wow! can I hold it?

Surgebinder: uh... sure.

Mistborn: Swallows shardblade.

Surgebinder: screams and falls unconsious as their bond is ripped away from them.

1 hour ago, Llstml said:

Surgebinder: screams and falls unconsious as their bond is ripped away from them.

That is terrible!  The poor spren!

Also the spren would totally go incorporeal.  Finally the power should be identity locked and unusable.

Just now, Ookla the Prolific said:

Also the spren would totally go incorporeal.  Finally the power should be identity locked and unusable.

Hence why it is difficult to make happen. Who knows, Spark might decide to go along with it... I mean, the spren might decide to go along with it as an experiment, I am definitely not considering using allomancy to kill off an evil spren.:ph34r:

May be dead shardblades will be more useful for eating to Allomancers! Oh my! What happened to Taln’s honorblade!? Do you think Hoid ate it or plans to? 

Is it possible that shardblades are alloys of both god metals? Honor’s and cultivation’s?
As for possible uses of Tanavasium:

Allomancy: well most of the surges that are granted are very spren driven and are based on the Rosharans perception of the way things work, the various natural forces at work etc. It may not work for other planets but one thing which is common for all orders is the ability to heal or regrowth. So, I think tanvasium will provide healing when burned allomantically. 

Feeuchemy: you can store leadership in the metalmind. 

hemalurgy: it will probably steal the nahel bond and make the recipient a “squire” of the order of the original radiant. 

Edited by The traveller

2 hours ago, The traveller said:

Is it possible that shardblades are alloys of both god metals? Honor’s and cultivation’s?

Yes in fact I believe we have conformation.

Allomancy: well most of the surges that are granted are very spren driven and are based on the Rosharans perception of the way things work, the various natural forces at work etc. It may not work for other planets but one thing which is common for all orders is the ability to heal or regrowth. So, I think tanvasium will provide healing when burned allomantically. 

Compounding gold can do that already.  Not saying it is impossible but I personally would prefer something else.  Also most investiture will do some kind of healing.

Feeuchemy: you can store leadership in the metalmind. 

How would that work?  I could understand something like charisma but leadership is an abstract concept and has many different styles and applications. 

hemalurgy: it will probably steal the nahel bond and make the recipient a “squire” of the order of the original radiant. 

Maybe stealing your oaths as it were.  Perhaps it can go even farther and steal other bonds?

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Compounding gold can do that already.  Not saying it is impossible but I personally would prefer something else.  Also most investiture will do some kind of healing.

Naturally occurring Gold compounders are very rare, Miles may have been the only one we know. Otherwise medallions can give us gold healing but it is limited and dependent on not losing the medallion. I was thinking that there has to be a metal that grants healing to an Allomancer by simply burning it. 

A lot of stuff that we store using Feruchemy is abstract like determination, fortune, identity, connection and it does weird things. Tanvasium being a god metal or shardblades being an alloy of it,  has to store something weird and abstract and not something straightforward. I was thinking that it would store Honor but thought that to be too abstract and straightforward at the same time! :)

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Maybe stealing your oaths as it were.  Perhaps it can go even farther and steal other bonds?

yup something along the same lines 

What do you think tanvasium will do for all 3 magic systems, we are purely speculating here after all. 

Edited by The traveller

I would say that the Shardblade godmetal is most similar to Atium. I mean, for the Radiant spren which are closer to Cultivation, the system of Surgebinding is of Honor though, like Allomancy is of Preservation yet still capable of using the godmetal of Ruin (with funkiness involved) and in Surgebinding's case, using spren closer to Cultivation for Honor's system.

Edited by Honorless

8 hours ago, Honorless said:

I would say that the Shardblade godmetal is most similar to Atium. I mean, for the Radiant spren which are closer to Cultivation, the system of Surgebinding is of Honor though, like Allomancy is of Preservation yet still capable of using the godmetal of Ruin (with funkiness involved) and in Surgebinding's case, using spren closer to Cultivation for Honor's system.

Yeah but Cultivationspren are primarily made of her investiture. 

10 hours ago, The traveller said:

determination, fortune, identity, connection and

Sure but those are all things that I can sort of feel as part of me.  I can wake up in the morning and feel more or less myself more or less determined more or less connected(fortune is wired and I don't want to get into it here).  What is leadership?  When I wake up I certainly don't feel as if I have a base amount of leadership.  I might be able to convince people to do things but that is more tied to charisma?  Is that leadership?  I might be able to show personal bravery and feel more or less capable of it is that leadership?  I might care more or less about others is that leadership?  You see the bind I am in here?

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

When I wake up I certainly don't feel as if I have a base amount of leadership.  I might be able to convince people to do things but that is more tied to charisma?  Is that leadership?  I might be able to show personal bravery and feel more or less capable of it is that leadership?  I might care more or less about others is that leadership?  You see the bind I am in here?

I feel ya. The point is that Feruchemy with tanvasium probably allows one of the attributes related to honor to be stored. If leadership is too external then may be courage or compassion or logic.

Charisma is too limited a way to look at leadership so I don’t like it. 

Edited by The traveller

31 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I feel ya. The point is that Feruchemy with tanvasium probably allows one of the attributes related to honor to be stored. If leadership is too external then may be courage or compassion or logic.

Charisma is too limited a way to look at leadership so I don’t like it. 

Atium stores age which is related to entropy.  By this logic tanvasium should store something honor related(like bonds).

I would have thought Tanavastium stored connection but base Feruchemy already allows for this. Both connection to people and to magic. But what about realms? Could be that Burning or storing Tanavastium makes one a planeswalker, able to stitch a perpendicularly at will or travel to any of the 3 realms regardless of the investiture fuel used?

Ok, if one stores Tanavastium it makes them insubstantial in the realm they reside in at the time, thus making it easier to slip between them.  Tapping it anchors one to that realm more strongly.  Not much use in the Physical realm where things tend to stay out but in the Cognitive? Or the Spiritual?  An anchor could be vital there.

Edited by Bigmikey357

1 hour ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

By this logic tanvasium should store something honor related(like bonds).

I like the idea of tanvasium spike granting the nahel bonds or squireship to one, via hemalurgy better. 
How are you going to store a bond or tap it later? Sounds similar to connection which Feruchemy already grants with duralumin 

1 hour ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I would have thought Tanavastium stored connection but base Feruchemy already allows for this. Both connection to people and to magic. But what about realms? Could be that Burning or storing Tanavastium makes one a planeswalker, able to stitch a perpendicularly at will or travel to any of the 3 realms regardless of the investiture fuel used?

OOOOHHHH.

Alright, with all the theorizing about Tanavastium going around, I'm going to take this chance to put my ideas about Rayesium out there.

Allomancy: Rayesium would allow you to "see" Connections (think Metalsight lines from iron/steel, but between two things with a Connection), with most minor connections being imperceptible (unless you have a lot of powerful Rayesium allomancy, again like steel/iron, think Inquisitor Metalsight). You could see if someone was bonded to a Radiantspren, by seeing the bright line to their bonded partner, even if the spren is invisible at the time.

Feruchemy: Stores Loyalty. This one's a bit abstract, I know, but Odium does have a history of changing the loyalties of his minions. Storing Loyalty would make people ignore what you tell them (which could be cleverly applied anyway), and tapping it makes people more likely to listen and obey. It's sort of like a weird mix of connection manipulation and emotional allomancy. Compounding Loyalty could do something similar to Duralumin-boosted emotional allomancy on a spiked creature, but less direct, where the targets are unshakeably loyal to your orders, and will see them to completion even after the direct influence isn't affecting them. Any orders after that, well, that's up to the compounder to target them again.

Hemalurgy: Steals Pain. Now, why would you want a spike filled with emotional/physical pain? Simple. You spike someone to torture them, rather than granting them power. That gives you leverage over them because you can Soothe their pain and subdue it, making them feel dependent on you. Now why wouldn't they just take the spike out? Well, maybe you keep a loyal Rioter near them, and if they ever try to take the spike out, the Rioter flares their Zinc and riots the person's negative emotions, until they stop touching the spike. That builds up a fear of trying to remove the spike, and hopefully they'll stop, because they know that being loyal to you will make you Soothe (perhaps indirectly with a Brass misting) the pain away.

So yeah, kinda dark, but I think it's fitting for Odium's god metal.

@Halyo_Alex, I like the Raysium theory. I don't know  if it's plausible but then again I don't know if anything we are theorizing is plausible. I do think it fits and that's why I like it.  

Since I did Honor's Godmetal it's only fair that I take a stab at his companion's. Cultivation's Godmetel stores skills, or rather the ability to learn skills rapidly.  Say I want to be a champion spear fighter a la Kaladin or maybe a master duelist like Adolin. I strap my metal mind on and practice. I'm horrible at it of course,  but even moreso than I would be naturally.  I'm storing that skill, and when I go to tap it all of a sudden I'm a master.  I'm kinda basing this off on how Kaladin at 12 woke up his spearman ability briefly.  That would mean Hemalurgy steals skill. So I capture Kal, spike out his spear skill and grant it to my inquisitor.  Allomantically, I guess burning enhances acquisition of muscle memory.  

Random unrelated question: Does the Vessel in any way change what the metal is able to do? Probably not. Just wondering if lerasium would be different from vinium or kelsierium. Like, can they even change it in any way? Just a little?

EDIT: In the process of writing this I got thoroughly distracted and began writing a list of people I wish would Ascend so they could get a cool metal name. All cosmere. See below. I know. It's pointless.

Spoiler

dalinarium
jasnium
amaramium
kaladinium
waynium
waxilllium
spookium
hoidium? cephandrium? midium? topazium? wittium?
numuhukumakiaki'aialunamorium

Edited by Knight of Iron

41 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Random unrelated question: Does the Vessel in any way change what the metal is able to do? Probably not. Just wondering if lerasium would be different from vinium or kelsierium. Like, can they even change it in any way? Just a little?

Actually yes, according to a WoB:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If Kelsier created a metal while holding Preservation then it would have acted the same as lerasium, though over time the properties of it might shift.

Footnote: Unspecified question by Ted Herman
Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

41 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

EDIT: In the process of writing this I got thoroughly distracted and began writing a list of people I wish would Ascend so they could get a cool metal name. All cosmere. See below. I know. It's pointless.

Hide contents

dalinarium
jasnium
amaramium
kaladinium
waynium
waxilllium
spookium
hoidium? cephandrium? midium? topazium? wittium?
numuhukumakiaki'aialunamorium

Oh my god, that last one is amazing. 10/10