New Nakomi Theory

Broiler

Nakomi still bugs me.  I don't see her one chapter and minor mentions advancing the story or even Avienda's character all that much. While I've not read Brandon as much as Jordan, I don't think he would spend a whole chapter investing in introducing Nakomi and then abandoning her.  So to what purpose?

i think Brandon has a couple chapters in other books that are similar.  Dialog between a mainish character and a specific "class" of character.  The world traveler.   The best example, is the chapter with Kaladin and Wit (Hoid) on the shattered plains.  

So, my theory is that Nakomi's purpose is that she allows Brandon to pull Randland into the Cosmere in an honorary way.  The rules of the Cosmere aren't pressed into Randland, but is Brandon's little signature into what he always says is Jordan's work.  

17 hours ago, Broiler said:

Nakomi still bugs me.  I don't see her one chapter and minor mentions advancing the story or even Avienda's character all that much. While I've not read Brandon as much as Jordan, I don't think he would spend a whole chapter investing in introducing Nakomi and then abandoning her.  So to what purpose?

i think Brandon has a couple chapters in other books that are similar.  Dialog between a mainish character and a specific "class" of character.  The world traveler.   The best example, is the chapter with Kaladin and Wit (Hoid) on the shattered plains.  

So, my theory is that Nakomi's purpose is that she allows Brandon to pull Randland into the Cosmere in an honorary way.  The rules of the Cosmere aren't pressed into Randland, but is Brandon's little signature into what he always says is Jordan's work.  

I mean, it's a decent theory, and where Nakomi is concerned, pretty much any theory is valid (even the !Future Avhienda theory, which I personally don't agree with). I came to WoT through Sanderson, having been at first a Cosmere Fan, so I can't always distinguish what Brandon's little touches might have been, because I'm just so used to them. TBH, I always kind of got more of a Hoid vibe from Thom, as opposed to Nakomi.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, Wyndlerunner said:

I mean, it's a decent theory, and where Nakomi is concerned, pretty much any theory is valid (even the !Future Avhienda theory, which I personally don't agree with). I came to WoT through Sanderson, having been at first a Cosmere Fan, so I can't always distinguish what Brandon's little touches might have been, because I'm just so used to them. TBH, I always kind of got more of a Hoid vibe from Thom, as opposed to Nakomi.

I think Thom plays the role more of Dalinar than Hoid/Wit.  Crusty old guy with a past that you slowly get to know about.  Sure Dalinar grows into much more (and will continue to grow) than Thom did, but Thom didn't have that sense of "knowing more than any person has a right to know, almost divine like" that Nakomi/Hoid has.  The world hopper is as close to divine intervention that we get (well other then the whole spren thing) in the Cosmere.  Even the spren are pretty much just on the one world (two if you count Shadesmar as a seperate world) and really have fallen characteristics that show them to be a different type of human.

But Nakomi, is a Hoid like vision for Avienda.  Not in the comic/foil sort of way, but I'm sure all World Hoppers have their own personality.  She leads Avienda to some conclusions that make her come to self realizations that make her a better person.  Basically, the same role that Hoid plays in the Stormlight Archive.