Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorthStar

(Unpopular?) Opinion on David

5 posts in this topic

Not trying to start an argument, just voicing my opinion on David. I don't like his bold and impulsive attitude, but my main problem is with his character. He seems more like a machine than a human at times. The metaphors were a great addition to his personality, but I can't help but feel that there's something missing from his character.

44 minutes ago, NorthStar said:

Not trying to start an argument, just voicing my opinion on David. I don't like his bold and impulsive attitude, but my main problem is with his character. He seems more like a machine than a human at times. The metaphors were a great addition to his personality, but I can't help but feel that there's something missing from his character.

He did not exactly have much in the way of a childhood. 

I think that David is an idiot! He thinks that whatever he feels and desires is the right and only way to think. I've been listening to the series and it has been very difficult listening to the constant repeating of information! I think that anyone with any intelligence can remember that David's father was killed by Steelheart, that he lived in darkness almost his entire life and that his rifle is perfect!  I'm the second book of the series Firefight, David knows information that the other team members don't and instead of keeping his bratty mouth shut, he pushes Tia and Profs buttons, which forces them to discuss information that needed to remain confidential. Instead of David owning up to his mistake, he whines about being called out on a topic he shouldn't have brought up. I'm also sick and tired of him thinking he's in charge and having very little respect for the team prior to David's arrival. Yes, things seem to work out perfectly fine for him and all his trouble, but the way he handles things is just down right childish! Also, since I'm on this rant, David needs to accept that Megan was tricking all of them, that she's not some Angel with broken wings he needs to save and show some freaking respect for the people that took you in when they didn't have to! I'd like to say I feel.better, but I dont. Brandon Sanderson is a decent writer, so why the heck right books with a character that never seems to grow up, appreciate anything and whines, whines, whines!!!! 

16 hours ago, June1975 said:

I think that David is an idiot! He thinks that whatever he feels and desires is the right and only way to think

I mean don't we all?  If we did not we would not feel or think that way.  He is also quite open to self reflection like when Megan points out that killing Stealheart will have bad effects David has a hard time figuring out if what he wants is still right.

I've been listening to the series and it has been very difficult listening to the constant repeating of information! I think that anyone with any intelligence can remember that David's father was killed by Steelheart, that he lived in darkness almost his entire life and that his rifle is perfect!

Thoes are the things he knows about.  If you want large quantities of new not particularly relevent information that has no bearing on the plot I recommend  The Phoenix Guards quite a fun book.  However David knows about guns, his city, and epics.  Having him know other stuff is out of character for him.

I'm the second book of the series Firefight, David knows information that the other team members don't and instead of keeping his bratty mouth shut, he pushes Tia and Profs buttons, which forces them to discuss information that needed to remain confidential

Did it?  Keeping or not keeping a secret both have consequences.  Maybe wait till the end of the book until you decide weather it was worth it or not.

Instead of David owning up to his mistake, he whines about being called out on a topic he shouldn't have brought up. I'm also sick and tired of him thinking he's in charge and having very little respect for the team prior to David's arrival

The team prior to David's arrival was loosing.  He gave them several of their biggest wins.  He might need a dressing down but that does not mean that he is not entitled to state his opinion and have it respected.

Yes, things seem to work out perfectly fine for him and all his trouble, but the way he handles things is just down right childish

Well he is pretty young.  People are treating him like a child so that is how he ends up acting.

David needs to accept that Megan was tricking all of them, that she's not some Angel with broken wings he needs to save and show some freaking respect for the people that took you in when they didn't have to!

He clearly respects them but they are also not listening to real evidence that Megan cared about him and the team.  They are letting their paranoia get in the way of smart decision making.  Also he has been more then pulling his weight.  Since his addition to the team their have been no casualties and they have scored many wins.