Dowser

I had always assumed that it was one of the powers that Prof gifted. Megan used her illusions to cover up the fact that it gave a positive on her and Prof wasn't actively using that power because using it would have made him revert to his Epic nature, so Megan could have slipped by.

My big question about the dowser is how did Megan know enough about the device to trigger give the illusion of a false negative. I doubt that it's as simple as a screen that says "epic" or "Non-epic." It seems to me that she would have needed to have some knowledge of the display prior to being tested to create the false negative.

That's a good question.  I'd not considered that before.  She came on by herself, so it wasn't like she could see the dowser used on someone else before she was tested.  And you'd assume that she WAS tested when she came on and wasn't allowed to handle the dowser before she was tested.  Perhaps her illusions are able to construct an image that the viewer fills in with their consciousness?  Like in Inception how the dreamer fills in the details.  I know that's flimsy, but it's the best I've got right now. 

These are relatively easy to answer.  The dowser is real technology programmed to lie about Doc, and all Megan had to do in order to figure out how to work it was hang out invisibly and watch others.  I suspect it was just a standard human-usable interface.  Like a simple visual display.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure. For one, that's how Conflux powered the city. He'd gift to the power cells which were used to power other things like the gun that was used.

I disagree, if I recall correctly Conflux's power was over energy, so he could CHARGE the cells far beyond what they should be able to hold, and power items just by touching them. He could then GIFT this ability to others, so some power armors could be used with a power cell, or directly by the individual itself. But I do not believe the power cells were the result of him GIFTING his ability to inanimate objects. 

• 4 months later...

It seems to be a common misconception. Conflux can create electricity, so he gifts to enforcement officers so that they can power the suits and batteries any time they like. Likewise, Prof isn't giving his powers to the tensors, they're just props to explain why the crew can do the impossible. When David's tensor is shredded and he tells Prof he's cornered, Prof tells him to use it anyway, the first hint that the tensors themselves are just pretty gloves. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest a gifter can fork their power over to an inanimate object.

• Chaos locked this topic