Favorite Power Combos

Halyo_Alex

If you overlook the obvious geographical and overwhelming knowledge and training limitations, Forgery and Awaking could be a pretty interesting combo. 

Being able to rewrite the history of awakened objects could be an easy way to override or change security codes without breaking the lifeless. This could give the Awakener the means to use a command to return breath from lifeless, a plausibe way to gain allot if breaths in a more moral way.

Of course, because awakened objects are considered invested and should be harder to forge, but given research and good plausibe change, the seal should still stick, if only long enough to get the breath or change the command.

Now that I think about it, if you added era 1 malatium you could use that as insight to someone past to change it to whatever with forgery.

Edited by wildcard09
malatium is badass

On 12/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, wildcard09 said:

If you overlook the obvious geographical and overwhelming knowledge and training limitations, Forgery and Awakening could be a pretty interesting combo. 

Being able to rewrite the history of awakened objects could be an easy way to override or change security codes without breaking the Lifeless. This could give the Awakener the means to use a command to return breath from Lifeless, a plausibe way to gain allot if breaths in a more moral way.

Of course, because Awakened objects are considered Invested and should be harder to forge, but given research and good plausibe change, the seal should still stick, if only long enough to get the breath or change the Command.

Now that I think about it, if you added era 1 Malatium you could use that as insight to someone past to change it to whatever with Forgery.

Malatium is badass

Welcome to the Shard!

I think with Forgery one can go much further than that and bring the Lifeless back to life, if Clod/Arsteel and Ashravan are any indication.

Edited by Honorless

I think a neat combo would be Steel Compounding + Dustbringer. You can go very fast, ignore wind resistance, Steelpush, and generally break things. (Minor assumption that Dustbringers and Edgedancers use Abrasion similarly)

The main problem with any Magic+Radiant combo is that, even if you manage to get your spren off-planet, it's really only useful on Roshar, at least until interstellar Stormlight trade becomes a thing. Where the Cosmere currently stands, a worldhopper would probably want one of the following:

Gold Compounding, with Sand Mastery for offense. If you intend on getting yourself in trouble, you should be able to survive it.

5th Heightening (You'd want 7th Heightening, but 5th Heightening gives you a bunch of useful stuff and a good amount of Breaths to play with) and a Cryptic. (You wouldn't be able to Surgebind as much without Stormlight, but, if you were able to get them off of Roshar, Cryptics are great at decoding things, noticing patterns, general scholarship, etc.)

A-Tin, F-Copper, Smoker Aviar. The quintessential worldhopper-spy combo.

F-Iron, dead Shardblade, Larkin. This combo makes the assumption that Larkins can live off of the investiture from a metalmind, such as the Iron one you are probably constantly filling. Also assumes that Larkins can be trained well enough to act as defense against Invested assailants.

Zinc Compounding, Elsecaller, Lift's powers. If you could get the Nightwatcher (or Cultivation, depending on if the Nightwatcher had the necessary power) to give you Lift's food-to-Surgebinding-usable-Investiture abilities, then Transportation would be incredibly useful, and Soulcasting is a very nice power to have. (You probably wouldn't be able to Soulcast food efficiently enough to produce more Investiture than it took, but the Old Magic is sketchy and doesn't care about the rules.) the F-Zinc Compounding would be very, very helpful for scholarship, with Zinc's Allomantic abilities pretty helpful as well. Getting Lift's abilities is highly improbable, but getting some similar ability that would allow you to use Surgebinding off-world would probably not be too far of a stretch.

22 hours ago, Ookla the Discombobulatory said:

I think a neat combo would be Steel Compounding + Dustbringer. You can go very fast, ignore wind resistance, Steelpush, and generally break things. (Minor assumption that Dustbringers and Edgedancers use Abrasion similarly)

Talk about carpet bombing an area lol. Very nice. 

The main problem with any Magic+Radiant combo is that, even if you manage to get your spren off-planet, it's really only useful on Roshar, at least until interstellar Stormlight trade becomes a thing. Where the Cosmere currently stands, a worldhopper would probably want one of the following:

Theoretically if they learn to fuel their powers with other magic systems, that issue becomes null. That is why the OP and myself brought up soulcasting and allomancy. Theoretically if you could find a way to use allomancy to power your soulcasting, you could result in an endless loop. Soulcast metal. Swallow and burn metal, powering your soulcasting to create more metal to power your abilities. All theoretical, but I think it could happen. 

Gold Compounding, with Sand Mastery for offense. If you intend on getting yourself in trouble, you should be able to survive it.

Good point

5th Heightening (You'd want 7th Heightening, but 5th Heightening gives you a bunch of useful stuff and a good amount of Breaths to play with) and a Cryptic. (You wouldn't be able to Surgebind as much without Stormlight, but, if you were able to get them off of Roshar, Cryptics are great at decoding things, noticing patterns, general scholarship, etc.)

Would also be an amazing artist with the mnemonic abilities of a lightweaver coupled with the perfect color recognition and pitch of an awakener. 

Hmmm, makes me wonder if copper and smoker aviar would be redundant or would it strengthen their investiture hiding abilities. 

F-Iron, dead Shardblade, Larkin. This combo makes the assumption that Larkins can live off of the investiture from a metalmind, such as the Iron one you are probably constantly filling. Also assumes that Larkins can be trained well enough to act as defense against Invested assailants.

Really like this idea on how to feed larkins. Only other comment I have is larkin grow into a great shell, so keeping one full grown and keeping it fed might cause additional issues lol. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Zinc Compounder Elsecaller with a bunch of breaths obtained from manipulating people and selling soulcasted objects. I would achieve the seventh heightening, granting myself immortality, and be satisfied to live out my infinite days on Scadrial, or Nalthis, or Silverlight.

23 hours ago, Ookla the Discombobulatory said:

22 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Hmmm, makes me wonder if copper and smoker aviar would be redundant or would it strengthen their investiture hiding abilities. 

F-Copper, not A-copper. Enhanced senses, perfect memory, and hiddenness.

56 minutes ago, Ookla Shaka, Ookla, Ookla said:

F-Copper, not A-copper. Enhanced senses, perfect memory, and hiddenness.

Ahhhhhh my bad. Then in that case, if you are going for spyness, why not add in lightweaver for illusions as well? That way you hear them coming long before they get there, set up your illusion, mask your investiture, and record what you spy. 

Personally I think Breaths give you the better Sensory package as compared to either Metallic Art (though Compounding might challenge it), plus the additional Life Sense which has all kinds of Spy potential (especially on worlds that dont know to look for Heightenings).

On 12/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, Honorless said:

Welcome to the Shard!

I think with Forgery one can go much further than that and bring the Lifeless back to life, if Clod/Arsteel and Ashravan are any indication.

Awaking and bloodsealing are definitely one of the types of investiture I'm looking forward to seeing in the next sel book.  I feel Brandon barely scratched the surface In emperor's soul. 

Also Awaking seems pretty limited right now in terms of making believable narratives when combined with other planets. Worldhoping just isn't common enough to use as a believable cognitive fiction. 

Maybe someday that will change, and we can get double-returned and essence stamps to spoof Fabrials to think spren/seons are captured in a Ruby or something.

Any KR and F-Nicrosil. This is assuming that you could breathe in stormlight and store the stormlight in your nicrosilmind creating a store of stormlight that doesn't deplete with time and has an infinite capacity (as far as we know).

Spend a couple of high storms outside and you'll never have to worry about running out of stormlight again!

I've been thinking about the Mistborn Edgedancer.  I wonder just how high a Duralamin powered Steel Push could throw you if you had the Surge of Abrasion, and a Medallion that granted you the capability to store weight?  Sazed mentions being able to store enough weight to float on the wind, if he didn't have his metal minds.  If you had no wind resistance, which is the number one limiter of speed in atmosphere, and gravity didn't have as much of a hold on you, which is the number one limiter on distance near a planet, and you burned Pewter to survive the initial Steel Push, and you had a glider suit or something...heck, one leap might take you to the next state.  

personally, I've been thinking about a five-power Metallic Arts combo that would be powerful, or at least interesting. Compounding Brass, Compounding Gold, and A-Pewter. if you wanted to be more worldhopper-ish about it, replace Compounding gold and A-pewter with Rosharan Lightweaver or Elsecaller. Brass compounding would make you really warm, definitely enough to burn things you touch, but you can hurt yourself compounding warmth, so gold or Stormlight healing would be useful. Also, I'd imagine near-infinitely burning yourself with brass would still be painful at first, until you were numbed from the gold compounding, so A-pewter would make you pain-resistant. Stormlight might reduce pain as well, since we see Radiants take wounds that would be very painful, yet still be able to function until they healed. And the reason I chose Lightweavers and Elsecallers is because of their shared surge, which would allow you to soulcast the metals for compounding. Elsecallers also have Transportation, which is useful for worldhopping.

• Chaos locked this topic