Favorite Power Combos

Halyo_Alex

I'm sure this sort of topic has been done before, but I'm genuinely curious; what cosmere abilities would you pick for yourself if you could specify them?

I would be a Lightweaver (duh), with A-Electrum/F-Zinc twinborn powers, probably.
If I could go a little extra, I'd want to have the 5th Heightening as well, but for a "reasonable" power-level I wouldn't have it.

As for why, it should be fairly clear; Soulcasting is super handy for Allomancy, and effectively lets me power it with Stormlight by proxy. As well, I could spend my time honing my skill at soulcasting the exact allomantic metals & alloys, and trading them via the CR to Scadrial in my free time.

A-Electrum/F-Zinc has (in my experience) been referred to as Pseudo Atium a few times, and that would be really helpful in the battle against Odium's forces. Being able to fight with a Shardblade while also seeing a few possible futures of myself, and tapping mental speed to process them all and what's going on, is really powerful. If only I had A-Zinc as well, to compound as much mental speed as I could need. But compounding is dangerous, and I don't want to find out the hard way what Zinc Compounding savantism does to a brain. :P

Anyway, that's it for me.

Fullborn Compounder, Hemalurgist, Forger, Artifabrian, medallion scientist, Elantrian and all the Orders of the Knights Radiant with 10,000 Breaths and Violet Skycolor and maybe a few dozen Aviar, plus all the Aethers and 10,000 ribbons of Sand. How's that?

Impossibilities, or at least improbabilities aside, if I could only combine two powers, assuming I can't take Mistborn (as those came from Lerasium) I'll go for Electrum, Nicrosil or Bronze Allomancy with Lightweaver powers. I don't know if I can choose to go for Breaths honestly, unless I acquire them via Investiture conversion. I'd love to have an Aviar too.

15 hours ago, Honorless said:

Fullborn Compounder, Hemalurgist, Forger, Artifabrian, medallion scientist, Elantrian and all the Orders of the Knights Radiant with 10,000 Breaths and Violet Skycolor and maybe a few dozen Aviar, plus all the Aethers and 10,000 ribbons of Sand. How's that?

Impossibilities, or at least improbabilities aside, if I could only combine two powers, assuming I can't take Mistborn (as those came from Lerasium) I'll go for Electrum, Nicrosil or Bronze Allomancy with Lightweaver powers. I don't know if I can choose to go for Breaths honestly, unless I acquire them via Investiture conversion. I'd love to have an Aviar too.

I knew someone would basically say "ALL THE THINGS" which is why I tried to be more realistic/limited with my choices, for creativity's sake.

I do like that combination, though. Bronze does let you hear the pulses of Surgebinding, so it would still be of use on Roshar. And hey, a fellow Lightweaver! (though that was obvious from your forum title.) Breaths would actually be easy for someone with Soulcasting to obtain, you could Soulcast very valuable objects and sell them for Nalthian money (most likely in Hallandren) and buy Breath like that. Given the description of how Soulcasted air turns out when you make it solid (swirly and chaotically organized), that could make a fascinating sculpture on its own, or an interesting texture for a vase or something. And yeah, I'd probably take a "coppercloud" Aviar like Kokerlii, personally.

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

All of them?

Ok, yes, but... Being honest (gee what a surprise for a Lightweaver), I can't see myself actually making use of that many powers. I really think it would just be a case of being spoiled for choice, and some powers are redundant (copper allomancy and a coppercloud aviar like Kokerlii, for example, or Gold feruchemy/compounding and the 5th heightening). Plus, it's not really realistic to assume one could obtain all the powers, Hoid is really the exception because, well, he's Hoid. He's like, THE exception.

It is, however, feasible that a twinborn could end up worldhopping to Roshar and bonding a Cryptic, though. Likely? Not really, but it's more possible than just "all of them".

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off so negative, I just find "all of them" to be the boring answer.

20 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

It is, however, feasible that a twinborn could end up worldhopping to Roshar and bonding a Cryptic, though. Likely? Not really, but it's more possible than just "all of them".

Well if I spren bonded I would probably be a lightweaver(although that stupid online test says truethwatcher of all things), as a twinborn I would either want to be able to compound steel or have f-bronze+a- Bendalloy.  We don't really know enough about any other magic system to really make it work although I would like a few soulstamps.

4 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Breaths would actually be easy for someone with Soulcasting to obtain, you could Soulcast very valuable objects and sell them for Nalthian money (most likely in Hallandren) and buy Breath like that. Given the description of how Soulcasted air turns out when you make it solid (swirly and chaotically organized), that could make a fascinating sculpture on its own, or an interesting texture for a vase or something.

The problem isn't how I would acquire it, it's that I wouldn't want to acquire it. I find the entire BioChroma System icky, I don't think I would be willing to have someone give me a part of themselves like that.

Edited by Honorless

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

The problem isn't how I would acquire it, it's that I wouldn't want to acquire it. I find the entire BioChroma System icky, I don't think I would be willing to have someone give me a part of themselves like that.

I don't really see it all that different than bonding a spren, though I wouldn't want Breaths that were coerced from anyone.

5 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

I don't really see it all that different than bonding a spren, though I wouldn't want Breaths that were coerced from anyone.

It's still an economy that profits off the poor. I read the feeling of being a drab or even losing a few Breaths, I wouldn't want anyone to feel like that for a bit of power.

4 hours ago, Llstml said:

I would be a windrunner, with Duraluminum compounding (so that I could bring my spren off-world).

Interesting! Connection compounding is probably my favorite form of compounding, simply because it's so... unusual. Connection seems to be the foundation of almost every magic system, especially allomancy and surgebinding, so I'm curious if a duralumin compounder could compound their Connection to, say, Preservation, and (at least temporarily) enhance it to a high enough level to become a Mistborn, a-la how Lerasium works (by strengthening your Connection to Preservation, which grants the flow of investiture that the metallic arts use). If not that, then compounding the Nahel bond would surely do something unforseen and interesting, right?

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Interesting! Connection compounding is probably my favorite form of compounding, simply because it's so... unusual. Connection seems to be the foundation of almost every magic system, especially allomancy and surgebinding, so I'm curious if a duralumin compounder could compound their Connection to, say, Preservation, and (at least temporarily) enhance it to a high enough level to become a Mistborn, a-la how Lerasium works (by strengthening your Connection to Preservation, which grants the flow of investiture that the metallic arts use). If not that, then compounding the Nahel bond would surely do something unforseen and interesting, right?

It should at least let me get off-world with my spren, if I store connection on Roshar, compound it, then tap it. Or I could store my spren's connection to Roshar. On a side note, how would feruchemy interact with a nahel bond? would storing my identity store my spren's identity as well? would it let my spren use feruchemy?

Just now, Llstml said:

It should at least let me get off-world with my spren, if I store connection on Roshar, compound it, then tap it. Or I could store my spren's connection to Roshar. On a side note, how would feruchemy interact with a nahel bond? would storing my identity store my spren's identity as well? would it let my spren use feruchemy?

Agreed, agreed. And, I'm unsure on the latter. The Nahel bond does seem to be two-way, as the spren benefits from increased sapience in the Physical realm, which is what humans are great at. It seems to me that at least at higher Ideals, the spren MIGHT be able to access the part of your spiritweb that encodes Feruchemical powers and use it, or maybe compounding the Nahel bond would allow this, pushing its strength just a little bit further to give your Spren the closeness needed to reach those powers. A Full Feruchemist might be an incredibly fascinating surgebinder for the Spren as well as the Knight.

It's reasonable to be born a Mistborn, or a Feruchemist, or a Twinborn.  We know that at least a Mistborn can bond a Spren.  And anyone can get breaths.  So having all three of these is not unusual, especially since Hoid does.  There's also Hemalurgy, which anyone can get, though if you get more than 3, they interfere with each other.  There's also Medallions, which can grant some any Allomantic or Feruchemical power.

So there are a few options, both of which have the 5th heightening.  That means any combo would have the Enhanced Senses of the 5th Heightening, perfect health and effective immortality, the ability to Awaken, Shard Plate and Blade, and all the healing, speed and determination that Stormlight gives.  

The first option is basically Hoid, a Mistborn Lightweaver.  With that you'd have illusions and, more importantly, Soulcasting, which ensures you have, effectively, an unlimited amount of every Allomantic metal.  Not to mention all the other cool things you could do with Soul Casting.  These guys are the ultimate manipulators, creating illusions, then Soothing and Rioting to make you more likely to believe them.  Add a single Hemalurgic Spike of your choice for compounding, or get yourself a Medallion for the same.

The second option would be a Feruchemist Radiant.  The Order would be up for grabs, but being a full Feruchemist with the powers of a Radiant is astounding.  Feruchemists can create Medallions, which could break an entire economy.  Add to that the ability to use Stormlight, and you can store much more than the average person.  Again, as above, add a Hemalurgic spike or Medallion to add an Allomantic power of your choice for compounding.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:08 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

. I really think it would just be a case of being spoiled for choice, and some powers are redundant (copper allomancy and a coppercloud aviar like Kokerlii, for example, or Gold feruchemy/compounding and the 5th heightening). .

Woah , woah . Gold compounding/ 5H is not redundant.

GC makes you immune to physical or spiritual harm. Tho I don't think it works on cognitive diseases

5H doesn't help you with that . If you lose an arm or something , unless a returned dies go you, U won't get it back.

5H does however grant you agelessness. That's something GC can never do and even atium compounding can do at extremely high cost and decreasing returns .

GC and 5H would complement each other to make you truly immortal

Allomantic Electrum, Feruchemical Zinc and the sixth Heigthening. A-Electrum and F-Zinc allow you to be a cheaper Seer and gifts you increased mental capacity, speed of thought and probably intelligence, while also being relativly easy to store. I mean how often do you need to think about something really hard? Or focus really strong?

The sixth Heightening so I would be able to live for ever and awaken aswell. Also all the "bonuses" the Heightenings give, complement the twinborn powers quite well, especially perfect life sense. F-Zinc would be quite usefull to discover new awakening commands.

From there on you can just go nuts. Acquire three hemalurgic spikes all the medallions you want; steal a bunch of alluminium and build weapons and armors; go get more breaths and make your own Nightblood; find your way to Roshar and pick up a soulcaster, honorblade and some shardplate ind different colours; train your own pet aviar or shade.

Just pick the fifth heightening and above to become ageless and you got all the time in the world to get even more powers.

From Scadrial, Feruchemy sounds fun, because it's not only tapping metalminds that is useful, but filling them too (walking around with half the weight, or storing calories after a heavy meal)

Rosharian system: Lightweaver, if it means that I get to have a Pattern. 

I think of the Selish magics, I would go with AonDor, as it's a bit more intuitive and simple(draw pictures in the air) compared to the other magics (carving elaborate stamps, or doing martial arts moves).

White Sand: Pass. It's pretty limited. You need magic sand from the desert, but you have to use up your water to use that magic desert sand, so you are constantly in danger of dehydration.

From Nalthis, Breath also sounds fun, but knowing me, I'd waste a lot of them because I can't really picture things in my head. So, pass. Also, colors are distracting, so I would probably be overwhelmed by the increased color perception.

Threnody: No. Just no. It is a bad place.

First of the Sun: Meh. I don't really like birds.

I just finished re-listening to the three Stormlight books and am now re-listening to the Mistborn books, and I realized something.

An Edgdancer Mistborn would be freakishly powerful.  

I mean, yes, any Order mixed with Mistborn would be powerful, but the combination of Steel/Iron Allomancy, while burning Pewter, and having the Surge of Abrasion...

Imagine, you're gliding down the road through the city, pushing/pulling yourself along using any and all the metals around you, easily leaping through the air to clear obstacles in your path.  Not only that, but when you're "Awesome", even the WIND can't touch you!  That means no wind resistance!    You'd cut through the air, either soaring from a Steel Push or just skating on the ground, and not only will wind not knock you off track, but you may as well be moving in a vacuum.  There'd be no real limit to the speeds you could reach.  

And while burning Pewter, you're able to have all the balance and strength you need too stay on your feet.  Burn Bendalloy every now and then to avoid running in to vehicles and what not.  In fact, I think Bendalloy savants can move their speed bubble with them, so if you had that, you'd basically be The Flash.  

It's not exactly flying, but it is an upgrade to normal Steel Pushing, and you'd also have Plate, Blade, Stormlight Healing and the Surge of Growth/Regrowth, not to mention every other metal I haven't mentioned, and access to every God Metal.  Grab a couple Medallions, specifically Steel, Zinc, and maybe Iron, for increased physical and mental speeds and the ability to shift your weight to make it easier to move yourself around, as well as the fifth heightening for all that coolness, and you're a speed demon god, even if Compounding doesn't work with Medallions (which I don't see why it wouldn't, but there has been some conjecture.)

So that's what I'm going to pick.  A Edgedancer Mistborn of the Fifth Heightening, with a F-Steel/F-Zinc Medallion and an F-Iron Medallion.    All of that should be reasonably attainable, in world.  Easier for a natural born Mistborn, since all he has to do is bond a Cultivation Spren and buy some Breaths, and because there are no more Lerasium beads, but still.  

Heard some really great ideas here and they have all been fun to read through.

I thought I would just comment on some of the power combos I find interesting or synergistic really.

#1: Tin A/F Twinborn with the Fourth Heightening.
We know that Tin can store more than just basic senses.  So Having Perfect Pitch, Perfect Color Recognition, Aura Recognition and Perfect Life Sense from the Fourth Heightening would all be store-able then compoundable with a Tin Twinborn.

#2: Bendalloy A/F Twinborn with Sand Mastery.
One of the drawbacks of Sand Mastery is how it dehydrates you.  A Bendalloy compounder would be able to compound and create massive amounts of hydration in themselves for potentially system altering levels of Sand Mastery abilities.

#3: Illumination and Sand Mastery.
This combo is interesting because it allows one to recharge their sand.  We saw in the books how Shallan's illusions cause the black sand in Hoid's container to turn white.  The investiture based light system can charge up depleted sand and allow a Sand Master to travel with a container of sand to recharge.  A light-weaver with Sand mastery is even more interesting because with a supply of stormlight they can also create drinkable water easily to re-hydrate.

5th heightening plus gold compounding has already been mentioned so I thought I’d put a spin on it.

I choose the 5th heightening and A-Pewter/F-Gold. Because pewter heals I can fuel the gold with an admittedly weaker yet still external health source as well as protect myself from wounds via durability. The added strength, speed, and balance are a plus as well. 

On 11/28/2019 at 0:39 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

I'm sure this sort of topic has been done before, but I'm genuinely curious; what cosmere abilities would you pick for yourself if you could specify them?

I would be a Lightweaver (duh), with A-Electrum/F-Zinc twinborn powers, probably.
If I could go a little extra, I'd want to have the 5th Heightening as well, but for a "reasonable" power-level I wouldn't have it.

As for why, it should be fairly clear; Soulcasting is super handy for Allomancy, and effectively lets me power it with Stormlight by proxy. As well, I could spend my time honing my skill at soulcasting the exact allomantic metals & alloys, and trading them via the CR to Scadrial in my free time.

A-Electrum/F-Zinc has (in my experience) been referred to as Pseudo Atium a few times, and that would be really helpful in the battle against Odium's forces. Being able to fight with a Shardblade while also seeing a few possible futures of myself, and tapping mental speed to process them all and what's going on, is really powerful. If only I had A-Zinc as well, to compound as much mental speed as I could need. But compounding is dangerous, and I don't want to find out the hard way what Zinc Compounding savantism does to a brain. :P

Anyway, that's it for me.

Lol you took my ideas for the most part. Though In my case it would be elsecaller for the teleportation. 

17 hours ago, Iridium Savant said:

#3: Illumination and Sand Mastery.
This combo is interesting because it allows one to recharge their sand.  We saw in the books how Shallan's illusions cause the black sand in Hoid's container to turn white.  The investiture based light system can charge up depleted sand and allow a Sand Master to travel with a container of sand to recharge.  A light-weaver with Sand mastery is even more interesting because with a supply of stormlight they can also create drinkable water easily to re-hydrate.

To expand on what Prolific meant. Light itself is not how sand is recharged. Investiture is sourced at the sun on Taldain. The lichen feed off of that and that is what makes the sand able to be manipulated. So any investiture would recharge the sand because the lichen would be feeding off of it. So a lightweaver just creating light itself would not recharge the sand. The illusions might, but then you might as well just power the sand with stormlight. 

Going for slightly reasonable, but still outlandish:

Steel compounder

Not the "most" overpowered of healing, but I think it offers the most versatility and I could probably avoid most wounds with super speed. Also, steel is so much cheaper than gold. Also, good by way of brute power.