Anger Never Fades

Ark1002

OP credit goes to @Ookla the Very Handsome (Ark1002), @Ookla the Aleatory (Silva), @Ookla the Wine Shelf (Darth Woodrack)

A

A figure knelt on the top of a rooftop, a hulking mass covered in a hoodie made out of five wolf pelts. In each of its hands rested a massive knife, with ridges, serrated edges, indents, anything to make the stab as painful as possible. A small (comparatively) backpack adorned its back.

Crow looked up, smiling grimly.

The Acute's were too well protected to kill or take- for now. So she would do something the Marines and the Acute's wouldn't expect. She was going to take their cousins, and do to them what she had done to the Acute's. Well, what Lord Hellbent had started. She was going to take them, enslave them, torture them. And while she was at it... she would kill the parents for the hell of it.

She stalked to the edge of the roof, preparing to lower herself to the window.

~-~-~-~-~

S

Silk Wered Pushed off a coin and onto the roof. She landed with just the slightest thump.

It was a place she liked to go to think. The solitude was a nice contrast to the bustling sounds of inside the house. She loved her siblings, but sometimes she just needed a little silence.

The sight of another person on the roof was not a pleasant one. For a moment, Silk wondered if one of the younger ones had gotten their hands on a ladder. That thought was quickly dismissed when she noticed the size of the person. And their attire. 

Weapons weren't allowed to lay around the house. There were specific places for them--the roof wasn't one of them. Silk still carried some with her. Her parents were fine with most things the older Wereds did, so long as it wasn't at the expense of the younger ones.

She stayed silent, watching the person. If it came to it, Silk knew she could Push off and away. Something told her that leaving right then and there was a bad idea. 

---

On the back of the shade of the window Crow was preparing to enter there was a taped on note. The handwriting was crude and childish, printing the single word: Predictable.

None of the Wereds even knew it was there. None of them had put it up. If asked, they would honestly say that they didn't know who had. Only one Acute knew about it and she had been hoping that it would never be read.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow growled at the sight of it heartbeat, and leaned against the window heartbeat. She leaned back, thinking heartbeat. A bubbling rage filled her at the thought heartbeat of who might have done this heartbeat. Light heartbeat? Freedom heartbeat? Pri heartbeat?The storming space marines heartbeat? She let her hand fall into position heartbeat. A glimmering blade, flamelike, with a skull on each side of the hilt, and a glittering amythest on the bottom. She cleaved the window in half, and slipped into the room silently.

It was the bedroom of the Wered parents. These two would die. She turned to the window, and pulled out her fabrial. It was a soulcaster, with only one gem remaining. She soulcast aluminum, transforming the window and the area around it into aluminum. Nobody would escape that way.

She grinned, bloodlust filling her, and walked to the parents bed, silent steps. She stood over the bed, the image of death, a blade in hand, her face hooded and dark, and prepared to kill them.

~-~-~-~-~

S

Rusts. Silk froze, watching the figure climb down and out of view. She burned steel, trying to track them.

Four of her weaker lines vanished suddenly. What on Scadrial? How? It wasn't Allomancy meaning the intruder wasn't from nearby. But who would sneak over in the middle of the night? Who held a grudge?

Oh.

Of all the rusting ruin out there, this was one she knew they couldn't counter, if she was right.

She sighed and pulled out her phone. 

---

Bened Wered woke to the sound of his phone buzzing. Not much could get through his "Do Not Disturb". He quickly opened it up, read it, then froze for just a moment. 

Then he jumped out of bed, not even bothering to put on slippers, downed a couple bottles of zinc, and ran up the stairs to the fourth floor, flaring his Rioting throughout the house. 

It was as fast a silent alarm clock he could manage.

---

Sliding down to the lower rooftops, Silk saw the soulcast shut window. She swallowed, then slipped down through the window of Fog's bedroom. Bened's Rioting hit her immediately, alivening all her senses. The risk was real. 

The little one was fast asleep. She scooped her up and hurried across the hall to the twins. They too were asleep. Silk shook the two awake. The moment Horizon came to, slightly frightened from the Rioting, she motioned for her to burn bendalloy. 

"Stay quiet," she told them. "Mommy and Daddy might be in danger. I want you to get Branch then go with Bened down the stairs. Pick up the others on the way down. I'm going up."

She sent another quick message on a family group chat, telling them the little she knew and was doing.

---

Down on the first and second floors, the others were waking up. The Rioting had helped with that. 

On the upper most floor, a phone buzzed receiving Silk's message. It was locked and as such not readable, but it was a sign beyond the Rioting that people were awake. 

Chen Wered stirred at the sound. Hina woke abruptly from the sound, Bened's Rioting keeping her from falling back asleep.

"What in Ruin's name do you want?" she asked as she sat up. She shook Chen then downed a vial of bronze.

She began to burn it, knowing it wouldn't do much good. "Please don't say you want to kill us to pay for something someone did to you because that would be such an overused line and I at least don't want my death to be cliche. I mean, the whole sneaking in the night thing is already pretty predictable for villains, so I hope you're cleverer than you're looking.

"Also don't say our worst nightmare. Or death. Or redeemer. Even if it's true. Give us that much respect. We obviously are connected to an important something that hurt you or you wouldn't have gone through all this bother to destroy a perfectly good window."

At that point, Chen was also sitting up. "Good window," he said. "Did you know that it might have been around during the Final Empire? Hina, here, doubts it, but I believe so. The frame was held together with four iron nails. Iron.

He uncapped a vial of bronze. "But seriously, if you're going to kill us, don't be predictable and do it in front of the kids. That's trite. Be your own person. Don't try to be like those over-the-top serial killers. You do you." Chen smiled. "Or just don't kill us. The blade seems to tell me you won't listen to reason, but it's worth a shot. 

"Killing doesn't accomplish anything. It'll just get more people mad at you and trying to kill you. If you don't kill us, everybody walks out of here happy." And sixteen people don't walk out of here orphans, he wanted to add. 

Hina shrugged. "Murder is bad. Bad is evil. Evil is death. Not death on your enemies, but your early death. No one is invincible, not even the strongest armor can protect a murderer."

They knew anything they said wouldn't make a difference in what would happen. They said it nonetheless, though, hoping at least some words would haunt the figure in the future.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow grinned. She liked it when they tried to talk their way out of it. It was even better than begging. And they had asked that she wasn't to say any of those things... so she wouldn't.

Crow wouldn't say anything. Crow walked forward, her shardblade carving a line through the floor.

Then her blade flashed up inhumanly fast, going through the parents.

She chuckled darkly as their corpses fell, and turned. She would deal with them later, to make the message good. But for now... she had to get the kids. One of them had to have seen her on that roof. That's how they'd known she was there.

Crow knew a little bit about the layout of the house. There was twins, and they were on the fourth floor. She walked above their room, and instead of taking the predictable route, cut a hole through the floor, falling through it silently, rolling and grabbing the ceiling before it could hit.

She looked up, her eyes glowing darkly at the twins, at Silk, at Fog.

"If you scream, I will slaughter the rest of your family."

~-~-~-~-~

S

Honeed was flaring bronze, searching for active Allomancy in the house, her siblings watching her. 

"It's gone," she said, frowning. "They aren't burning anymore. There's no sign at all."

Semb and Terra looked at each other. They all knew what it meant. 

Their parents were dead.

~-~-~-~-~

W

The tattered one walked into the doorway, cackling. He shot a spike through the home phone as well as any other phones in the house, then sent spikes from his back to block the door. He then bellowed at the children, “Why hello there! Your parents are dead? Are you next? I certainly hope so!”

~-~-~-~-~

S

The figure dropped down from the ceiling. Everything was shaping up pretty poorly. Now, Silk knew, the best case scenario was keeping all of them alive.

"We weren't planning on it," Silk said, calmly holding Fog against her chest. The twins were hugging each other, showing all the terror she wished she could show. "Screaming would accomplish nothing. Instead, I'll just ask you some questions. First, what in Ruin's name do you want? And second, how do you plan on paying for structural damage repairs? It gets quite costly pretty fast."

---

Bened dropped his flare to a more sustainable burn when he reached the fourth floor. He hurried over to Branch's room and picked up the two year old. The sound of Silk's voice told him that the threat was in the twins' room. Good. She'd hopefully be able to keep it preoccupied.

He quickly descended the stairwell to the third floor. Fauna, Fild, Clove, and Laurel were all standing there waiting for him. From her stance, Bened could tell Laurel was burning pewter. He shook his head at her. No. Her face fell, but it didn't matter. His six year old sister was not getting involved. 

Quietly, he herded them down to the second floor. The triplets were there, pain apparent on their faces. They gave him a look that removed any doubt he had left. They were orphans. 

In silence they went to the first floor. It felt like retreat, leaving Silk, Fog, and the twins up there by themselves, but there was nothing else to do. Viness, Tanel, and Golda stood right by the stairs. Viness took Branch from him. 

"Fog, Horizon, and Moss?" Golda asked softly.

Bened shook his head. "Silk's with them."

She opened her mouth to respond as an unfamiliar voice rang throughout the house, following the sounds of destruction. 

"Why, hello there! Your parents are dead? Are you next? I certainly hope so!"

Golda sighed. "Ground floor. And without Silk we've got no other way out but the front door." She pulled out a couple bottles of brass, then downed them. "Come with me, Fild. Let's try to stop this one through reason."

Fild nodded and followed her after replenishing his own internal stores of Nicrosil.

---

He was pretty hard to miss spotting--all out freaky ghost mode.

Golda kept Fild behind her, out of sight. "Hello, there," she said in polite a voice as she could muster. "Would you like a cup of tea?" 

She flared brass as she spoke. The amount of Soothing was more than she'd ever attempted before, even against Bened's Rioting. She also knew that if Fild burnt nicrosil it would be even more for a moment. It would also rid her of all brass, but it would be a small price to pay.

They just needed to clear a way out. And hopefully get Silk, Horizon, Moss, and Fog out too. One step at a time though.

~-~-~-~-~

W

The Tattered One screamed and backed away bellowing, “GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU FILTHY CHILDREN!”! Before shooting a cloud of spikes at their legs.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow grinned, and chuckled, her voice reverberating throughout the room.

"If I need money, I could always sell one of your siblings into slavery. I bet a pair of twins would fetch a nice price..."

Her shardblade begane carving the floor, scratching Aon Sheo into the floor. She stepped forward, leaving a line in the floor from the previous Aon Sheo, and began carving it again. She leaned down, and her huge hands shot out, grabbing Silk in one hand, one of the twins in the other. She pulled Silk and Fog toward her, and shoved the twin under her arm. She grabbed the other one. She shoved Silk under her arm, and ripped Fog from her. Crow grinned, and held Fog in one hand. Then she walked out of the room, to go downstairs.

That was when she heard the scream. Dammit.

She rushed down the stairs, squeezing Fog and the twins, hard enough it would bruise, and landed with a massive thump on the first floor. Crow growled deeply, her voice echoing down to the ground floor. "I warn you, child, that if you do not stop with the mind games, you will soon be cleaved in half."

~-~-~-~-~

S

Golda and Fild ran up the stairs to avoid the spikes.

"We need a new plan," she gasped out to the others.

~-~-~-~-~

W

“Come here little children! I’m not going to hurt you! I just want to play,” He said, stalking towards the stairs. The last word was punctuated by him ramming spikes through the bottom of the stairs, destroying the stairs and the central support structure.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow Blackice grinned in her hoodie, but it faded fast. She set them down, and straightened, her face dark.

"Tattered One, block the door and don't hurt anything but legs and feet."

She set down Silk and the twins, still holding Fog. She smirked, letting her hood fall. "That's twelve now. The other two must be the ones who caused the tattered one to scream. A nicrosil, and the soother or the rioter. I still can't remember which."

She shook her head, and grinned darkly, her eyes glinting with barely restrained bloodlust.

"We're going to go downstairs, and if any of you resist, I kill one of the twins."

She turned as the stairs crashed.

"Now you'll have to jump. Too bad."

Crow reached forward, grabbing Branch from Vinness.

"Don't worry, I'll take the littlest ones."

Her muscles rippled as she leaned down, and breathed in Bened's face.

"Now, all of you... JUMP."

~-~-~-~-~

W

“Soother! And fine!” The Tattered one said before returning to the door frame, and spinning back around with spikes emerging from his shoulders and the rest of his body, “And of course I aimed for the legs! The should be on the first floor!”

~-~-~-~-~

S

Horizon burnt bendalloy, speeding up time for just the Wereds.

"Can you include the sofa in this?" Silk asked her.

The little girl nodded. While she couldn't tell any difference from sight, Silk knew it had been done.

She dropped a coin then jumped off the ledge, Pushing at it in intervals to slow her fall. Silk dragged the couch over as quickly as she could. Then she Pushed off the coin back up to the others.

Silk nodded at Horizon, signalling to drop the bubble. She did so, and Crow, Fog, and Branch began to visibly move once more.

Then they started to jump down as though they'd just heard Crow's threat. Silk jumped last, this time not slowing her fall. 

~-~-~-~-~

S

An ant started doing laps around the house.

~-~-~-~-~

S

The ant stopped running and began doing jumping jacks. How did that work with six legs? No idea. Go ask the ant yourself.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow strode to the edge, moving Branch to the hand with Fog, gripped it, and swung down, landing with a thump. 

Crow grinned, but her eyes remained cold. She left Branch and Fog in one hand, letting her Shardblade appear from the air. "Now, children, if you don't be good, some of you will stop losing limbs."

"You be good little boys and girls, and you'll survive. At least for now."

~-~-~-~-~

S

Viness, Tanel, and Silk shared a look. They knew what each other was thinking and they knew it wasn't good. They all shook their heads slightly.

No one was going to do something dumb.

Golda, however, wasn't watching them. Her eyes were glued on Crow.

"Understood," she said, sweetness disguising the hatred she felt. "How do you define good, though? Morally or cooperatively? I'm assuming cooperatively, but it never hurts to be absolutely certain." Her voice hardened. "Especially when the only crime we've ever done is exist."

Silk put a warning hand on her shoulder. "Excuse my sister, please. We aren't at our best when woken abruptly in the middle of the night." She didn't mention the fact that she hadn't even gone to sleep in the first place, having chosen rather to get out and enjoy the night. She supposed that may have ended up for the better. They'd at least gotten some warning. "Now, would you like a cup of tea, or would you rather get on with whatever it is you want?"

~-~-~-~-~

W

The Tattered one looked Crow incredulously and said, “Are they serious?” Before walking over and grabbing each of their wrists in turn and making a sort of spike handcuffs around them. He then returned to the door.

~-~-~-~-~

A

Crow smiled tightly. "Unfortunately, we have places to be, you and I." She pushed the hilt of the shardblade into the small of Silk's back. "Now, everyone, out of the door, one by one. Tattered One, out front, I'll take up the back."

She grinned. "We go to the transport point now."

~-~-~-~-~

S

The ant watched them leave, as disappointed as the Wereds that neither offer of tea had been accepted.

A

Criminals had been hired. Lots of them. It had taken multiple gangs to fill up all the jobs that had been required. But when Raven Underdark asked you to do something... you did whatever she goddam asked. If you didn't, you were never seen again, and as likely as not, your family disappeared as well. There was two tasks for the criminals. One was a violent, bloody job, but it would be easier then the other. In the other, they were to be simple messengers- to a house guarded by godlike figures, who didn't show their faces. And they couldn't be seen.

At the first house, only three were needed. Sadists, murderers, the scum of the earth. They took two corpses, and mutilated them, skinning portions, breaking bones, making their blood coalesce in puddles upon the floor. They moved the bodies around, so their was puddles of blood on all of the floors. It was incredible how much blood there was in two bodies. They had left the faces untouched, by order, except the eyes, which they gouged out. Then they hung the corpses, using their own intestines, over the front porch, where they stayed, dripping on the porch, covering it in blood, until the neighbors discovered it the next morning.

At the second house, a message had been left for each of the children. A message on their pillows. The criminals didn't understand what the messages meant, but they did what they were told. Each message deposited exactly where they were told to put them. They snuck past the armored figures, past the people who were in the house. They entered through windows, through the attic, but all of the messages were placed where they were told. All ten messages.

They read:

Spoiler

5ddf1622ab392_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_02_21PM.png.e5498cb61ea0e07b68289010a926f690.png

5ddf16232345f_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_02_14PM.png.1e0644f55e9ce2caf2f5b306f4e95b77.png

5ddf16239c9ca_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_02_04PM.png.39c5f9a8948cc3b857e9b093dfb43cda.png

5ddf1624b6b3d_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_53PM.png.eaa4f3d9a5e89745b790622c5ab62297.png

5ddf16252e6f6_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_43PM.png.b2bdfdb99392d14824a424ec5ee184b6.png

5ddf162610878_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_34PM.png.af02d27692218053ffcf91adba0b49c7.png

5ddf1626a1c65_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_28PM.png.9693da48642412a829b973678230341b.png

5ddf16271ca72_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_20PM.png.8720ea2bc0c5b3b0e465f96885b43f73.png

5ddf1627e551d_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_01_08PM.png.7ddcc9c5523df9c59a29d39963cc0646.png

5ddf16285816b_Screenshot2019-11-27at4_00_50PM.png.ae77a22bc582076adf2b391f48ede955.png

Light found the first one.

After a long day of arguments, all she wanted to do was lay down and scream internally at the universe. Something out there was set against her because she couldn't even do that in peace.

Her teeth gritted when she saw and read the note. Despite the somewhat vague signature, it was clear who wrote it. 

She crumpled it in her hand and ran downstairs. 

---

All of the others had notes as well, they discovered to their dismay. 

"Al-lee-ki-tee!" Eon sounded out his note slowly. At the end he looked around grinning. No one smiled back.

Their parents, Nola and Inden debated whether or not to send Freedom hers. Some Acutes shared them amongst themselves, trying to search for clues.

Only Compile looked at the bigger picture, piecing together the bolded letters. Dove Manor, Alleycity. So simple and obvious, but she kept it to herself. Already she was plotting and trying to think it through. 

Brethren and Lineage both read and reread their notes, disgusted equally. Warmer simply sat in a corner. Nola had taken his note and Eon's soon after.

"Fine," Inden said, finally giving in. "We'll send her a copy. But we're also giving her express instructions not to do anything dumb."

"Fine," Nola said.

The house was tense that night. Security measures increased more than ever. No one slept well. And then in the morning they got the news.

Old Mrs. Fronly was the one who came. She pulled Nola and Inden outside to talk. 

They arranged funeral arrangements as quickly as possible. The service itself felt off--no Wered children present. The Acutes knew where they were. Precious' note all but spelled it out. Crow had taken their cousins hostage.

Compile still just shook her head. Crow really was nothing but predictable. She remained silent, keeping her thoughts firmly inside of her head.

---

Pry wanted to put Freedom under house arrest again when she saw the note.

"Not happening," Freedom said. "The fact the note was placed on my pillow on Scadrial is proof that Crow doesn't know where I am. I'm safest moving around like always."

Eventually Pry relented. It pained her to be out of a danger that affected the whole rest of her family. 

Later when Freedom sat alone in her room, she pulled out a folded piece of paper. Then she punched the number into her phone.

As it rang, she prayed that she wasn't making a mistake. 

@Ookla the Imperial

---

"Are we going to do anything? Or do we just continue to wait for her to play her cards before us first?" Light asked. She stared somewhat blankly at a spot of bark on a tree in front of them.

@Grey Knight

Person she's talking to is left unspecified to give you choice.

---

Compile sat on the kitchen floor. Tapping zinc, she quickly skimmed through page after page of Alleycity phonebooks until she finally found the name she was looking for. Anthony Nightshade. 

She memorized the phone numbers and addresses given in each one, then shut the books and put them all away. 

Problems could be solved in many ways and Compile intended to find as many of them as possible. Anything to avoid her Plan A.

Edited by Ookla the Aleatory
Forgot the 'l' in talking.

8 hours ago, Ookla the Aleatory said:

Pry wanted to put Freedom under house arrest again when she saw the note.

"Not happening," Freedom said. "The fact the note was placed on my pillow on Scadrial is proof that Crow doesn't know where I am. I'm safest moving around like always."

Eventually Pry relented. It pained her to be out of a danger that affected the whole rest of her family. 

Later when Freedom sat alone in her room, she pulled out a folded piece of paper. Then she punched the number into her phone.

As it rang, she prayed that she wasn't making a mistake. 

@Ookla the Imperial

Tels had just finished the last of the ramen noodles in his bowl when he felt his phone start to buzz. He was in his house, alone, and was enjoying his evening off. The thieving business had been going good, and now, Tels had a night with nothing planned. Just a nice peaceful evening with nothing to do. Ahh, if only nights like these could come more often...

Tels had nearly forgotten about the phone buzzing. With a regretful sigh, Tels pulled the phone out of his hoodie pocket. Freedom. Huh. It had been a while since they had met, both giving the warning to to reach out to the the other if they were in trouble. So almost certainly, this phone call meant trouble. Tels almost put it down, but... No. Tels could thieve day and night without a speck of remorse, but with things that mattered, things like this, Tels knew he needed to step up and do the right thing.

Tels accepted the call. “Hello? Freedom?”

10 hours ago, Ookla the Aleatory said:

"Are we going to do anything? Or do we just continue to wait for her to play her cards before us first?" Light asked. She stared somewhat blankly at a spot of bark on a tree in front of them.

Sister-Chaplain Honerva, Master of Sanctity of the Dark Angels chapter, glared at the same tree.

"Those who cede the initiative," she grumbled, "are at the mercy of their enemy. Valor Squad recorded the men who snuck into your home and forwarded the footage to local law enforcement. Most of them are in custody now." Her hands clenched for a moment. "I will go and... extract the truth from them. But I doubt Crow was stupid enough to let them know anything important."

@Ookla the Aleatory

4 hours ago, Grey Knight said:

Sister-Chaplain Honerva, Master of Sanctity of the Dark Angels chapter, glared at the same tree.

"Those who cede the initiative," she grumbled, "are at the mercy of their enemy. Valor Squad recorded the men who snuck into your home and forwarded the footage to local law enforcement. Most of them are in custody now." Her hands clenched for a moment. "I will go and... extract the truth from them. But I doubt Crow was stupid enough to let them know anything important."

@Ookla the Aleatory

Bob calmly held his knife, gazing at it's blade, such a simple tool, for such nasty business...  A noise from behind him caught his attention, and he turned, facing his captive. The man had been one of the ones caught recently, and has been said to have seen Crow, Bob regretted that he hadn't been able to get out with with more than this one, but he knew he couldn't have made it into the prison, and out again with two, he just wasn't strong enough yet. 

"Please, I'm telling you man I don't know where she is!" The man was saying, whining, actually, "all I know is I was supposed to deliver a letter to the targets and then leave, I swear!" Bob calmly walked towards the man. He had set camp in one of the lower districts of Alleycity, a cramped little room, with one window at the far end of the room. His captive was stunned, one of his powers, the effects where finally wearing off, so that the man could talk. Bob knelt down next to the man, and slowly slid the knife along the mans neck, earing the mans eyes widening, panicked.

"P-PLEASE!" The criminal begged, but Bob slowly angled the knife, slicing the mans arms and running the slice down to his wrists.

"You know what the worst part of this is?" Bob asked, as he began working on the criminals other arm, "it's that your going to bleed out, with no one to look for you, but the worst part, in my opinion, will be the part when you realize it's over, when you've lost too much blood, and you body gives up." He began working on the criminals legs now, calmly slicing, letting the scum scream for help. Bob knew the man didn't feel the pain, he was stunned, he couldn't feel anything, at least, nothing physical. 

"Here's my token of appreciation," Bob continued when he had finished with his work. He placed his hand on the mans forehead, and worked his magic, reinstating the effects of his stun power on the man, making the criminal too limp to even open his eyes.

With that, Bob went to the window, looked to where he wished to be, and focused. In a heart beat he was outside, his knife disappeared in his cloak, and he turned to head towards where the man had said he went to deliver his message.

@Ookla the Aleatory

On 11/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, Ookla the Imperial said:

Tels accepted the call. “Hello? Freedom?”

"Unfortunately," she said, replacing the paper to its hiding spot on a shelf. Harmony only knew what Pry would do if she thought Freedom had guys' phone numbers. "Do you have a minute or should I call back later? Trouble decided to show up, but it probably can't get much worse by waiting a couple of hours or a night."

Freedom stood up and paced the length of the room. It occured to her that even with Tels, she hadn't a clue of where to start. Crow's note was too convoluted.

Violence is a terrible thing. Especially when it affects you. There is nothing worse, in the eyes of many people, then Violence towards a loved one.

Trying to help, A person of abnormal strength.

She didn't know whether grammar mistakes could be dismissed or part of a code. Or even if she had all of the pieces. Something felt off. Very off.

Why, of all things, did Crow mention violence in her note?

---

On 11/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, Ookla the Heretic said:

"I'm coming with you," she said plainly. "Even if they're dead ends for obvious information, they might know something else. A name. She doesn't go by Crow in the underground circles or we'd have found her already."

Edited by Ookla the Aleatory

Would it be possible for KanMien and Kumiko to become involved in this later on? My idea was that KanMien would find out that Crow was the leader of the Den of Thieves where KoTiel got killed, as well as finding some scrap of information implying she was involved with PlasmaCore, and deciding to investigate.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Foxed said:

Would it be possible for KanMien and Kumiko to become involved in this later on? My idea was that KanMien would find out that Crow was the leader of the Den of Thieves where KoTiel got killed, as well as finding some scrap of information implying she was involved with PlasmaCore, and deciding to investigate.

I have no issues with this. 

Are you fine with some more possible opposition, Ark?

@Ookla the Very Handsome

On 11/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, Ookla the Heretic said:

Hang on, I actually liked what they wrote. I think you should at least give them the option of joining.

^

While we don't want random jumping in and out due to this RP's specific nature edging into a sort where characters should have a connection to one side or the other, people can join, and we're happy to have them. The more the merrier imo, just no miscellaneous double agents who exist for no apparent IC reason, you know? Maybe stick something at the top of the OP itself, in addition to what's already on the Chat Thread, stating that. 

Tl;dr - We're happy to have more participants, just be serious and have your character have legitimate IC reasons that make sense. If you need help creating those, feel free to reach out and ask.

On 11/30/2019 at 0:34 PM, Ookla the Heretic said:

I wasn't saying they couldn't join, I was saying they haven't joined yet

Chasm, you can join. We just need to talk about it first, make sure it makes sense

@Chasmfiend#1

the second violence isn't capitalized. it's just the font being weird.

@Ookla the Aleatory

Kenod: Works for me! I'll add you to the PM.

@Ookla the Foxed

The night was clear, yet this alley still had mist. That was what marked it. It was incredibly expensive, worldhoppers who brought in fabrials that would make fog. Crow walked into the fog, making sure all of the Wered's were following, and that the Tattered One was taking up the rear. She walked up to a shop, the sign emerging from the 'mist'. 

Al's Butcher and Pastry Shop

Every time she saw that, Crow sighed internally. At least it was sure to keep people away. Anyone looking for a cupcake didn't want it from a shop full of slabs of meat, and vice versa. And even if someone did come in, there was other... deterrents. She pushed the door opening, noting the jingling bell. A man, always presumed to be Al, rushed out of the back room. "Yes ma'am?"

She leaned against the counter, and looked into his eyes. She was still looking down. Crow knew that this man almost definitely knew who she was. But this was the protocool, so she would go with it.

"I need a meat pie."

"What sort of meat pie?"

"Lamb. Recently slaughtered."

"Anything else?"

"Yes, I've got some meat I need taken care of."

"Well, follow me then miss. Bring the meat with you."

She gestured sharply to the Wered's, and the Tattered One, then walked into the back room, holding it open for them to shuffle in. The room was surprisingly spacious, and had, on one side, another room leading out, and on the other a dingy staircase leading down into the ground, with suspicious dark red stains on the wood. She stepped toward the staircase. The man nodded to her. "I'll leave now miss." Crow growled at him.

"Now, Wered's, everyone down the staircase, now." She was still holding the young ones, and knew there was nothing they could do against her without endangering them.

She called out to the man in the other room, "Tell Al I'll need the basement for a while! And any screams are to be expected!"

@Ookla the Aleatory @Ookla the Wine Shelf

On 12/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ookla the Aleatory said:

"I'm coming with you," she said plainly. "Even if they're dead ends for obvious information, they might know something else. A name. She doesn't go by Crow in the underground circles or we'd have found her already."

"No." Honerva lifted her mace from the ground. "I will do this bloody work alone, as is the burden of an Interrogator. You will stay here and protect your family until I return." She turned to go, but then stopped, hesitating. "And Light- please, reconsider your decision. Your cousins' lives may depend on it."

On 12/2/2019 at 0:05 AM, Ookla the Very Handsome said:

She gestured sharply to the Wered's, and the Tattered One, then walked into the back room, holding it open for them to shuffle in. The room was surprisingly spacious, and had, on one side, another room leading out, and on the other a dingy staircase leading down into the ground, with suspicious dark red stains on the wood. She stepped toward the staircase.

A scraping sound rings out from the darkness, followed by quiet laughter.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Heretic said:

"No." Honerva lifted her mace from the ground. "I will do this bloody work alone, as is the burden of an Interrogator. You will stay here and protect your family until I return." She turned to go, but then stopped, hesitating. "And Light- please, reconsider your decision. Your cousins' lives may depend on it."

Bob knelt on a roof, silently watching the structure the criminal had described. 

not much of a challenge if a person knows what to look for. He thought to himself, then noticed the guards, marines, and other forms of security. Wouldn't be surprised if they have an epic to guard as well, and if they all have some form of magic to themselves... 

He slipped down from the building he had been on and began moving closer. He spotted two marines not far off from the house he was going for, they'd be guards, ment to keep locals out. He got closer to them, slipping from one shadow to another, then focused on the ground just behind them. In a heart beat he stood behind them, they spun just in time to have Bobs hands grab them by their throats. One pulled his gun, struggling to take a shot, scoring Bob in ribs. Bob grunted from the shot, and redoubled his focus on them.

"Rest." He snarled at them, and his power clicked in. Soon, both lay limp on the ground, the one still holding his gun, his eyes wide with shock. 

"I am not here to kill," Bob continued, as he pulled them both towards a sheltered spot not far from their guards post, "I will be back tomorrow morning, as the Sun rises. I will not attack, unless I am forced to, in which case I will treat many of you like this, but it won't come to that."

with his work there done, he left the two stuned, he knew other guards would eventually show up, to see what happened. He teleported along to go faster, he needed that nights rest, so he could be ready to fight should be need to.

@Ookla the Aleatory @Ookla the Heretic

On 12/2/2019 at 0:05 AM, Ookla the Dog Hater said:

the second violence isn't capitalized. it's just the font being weird.

*shrugs*

Well, then Freedom will just stay slightly more confused. Crow's, or a person she commissioned to write, had strange handwriting.

The Wered's descended the stairs warily, none willing to risk anything. As it was they knew their situation was pretty bleak. Only a few of their metals could be found in traces in food, and even that stayed an extremely small amount. Tin, cadmium, chromium, iron, copper, zinc, and minor amounts of aluminum might be available, depending on what they were fed, if they were fed at all. None stood out as particularly practical metals. Brass, pewter, or steel would have been nicer. 

They hadn't said a word unless prompted. They kept silent, knowing that speech wouldn't help. Nothing they would do would.

Golda went last, attention torn between Branch and Fog and the slight sound of laughter below. She tried to give her little brother an encouraging smile which ended up more like a wince. Even cheer began to be hard to feign.

On 12/3/2019 at 0:18 PM, Ookla the Heretic said:

Light shook her head. "I don't think so. Changing my answer would only make them worse off." To deny Crow something she knew she shouldn't have was one thing. To deny her what she knew she should have was another.

"But go ahead alone. Use your brutal inhumane methods to try and get useful answers since there's definitely not a nicer way to get information," she finished sarcastically. An  unexpected edge lightly laced her tone. Its appearance startled her. Since when was she a person who would talk that way? Say things in a manner that wasn't intended to be at least a little polite?

Since recently, she realized, when life tried to shift down a completely different path.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, Chasmfiend#1 said:

"I am not here to kill," Bob continued, as he pulled them both towards a sheltered spot not far from their guards post, "I will be back tomorrow morning, as the Sun rises. I will not attack, unless I am forced to, in which case I will treat many of you like this, but it won't come to that."

Compile watched and listened from a window. She tapped zinc to attempt at catching what he said. All she got fully was that he'd be back in the morning.

Good. She thought. I'll try to be there to meet him. The last thing we need is another unintentional enemy.

Then she hopped over to her bed. On it was a phone, Precious'. She'd asked to borrow it for a project, and Precious knowing her sister, suspected the true reason making her all the more likely to lend it.

What do you know about the Space Marine Crow? I need some information to save lives. She typed up in a text, signing it C.A.. After looking over it twice and not coming up with something better to write, she pressed a button, sending it off individually to every number for an Anthony Nightshade she'd found.

Hopefully one at least would be the right one. She already had alternative plans--this one just seemed the simplest.

@Ookla the Dog Hater

I'm not adding Chas to the main PM yet, but I'll make one with the three of us and anyone else who wants.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Aleatory said:

Light shook her head. "I don't think so. Changing my answer would only make them worse off." To deny Crow something she knew she shouldn't have was one thing. To deny her what she knew she should have was another.

"But go ahead alone. Use your brutal inhumane methods to try and get useful answers since there's definitely not a nicer way to get information," she finished sarcastically. An  unexpected edge lightly laced her tone. Its appearance startled her. Since when was she a person who would talk that way? Say things in a manner that wasn't intended to be at least a little polite?

Since recently, she realized, when life tried to shift down a completely different path.

"The mere threat of torture is enough to break most mortals. I doubt I will even have to touch them." Honerva tilted her head toward Light. "But it is brutal. Perhaps even unnecessary. But I will do it, even if it means I will be damned for my sins. We cannot waste any time with niceties. "

She walked a short distance away, then stopped. "It is good that you can still recognize these things," she said. "I... forget, sometimes, that there are other options. Thank you."

Edited by Ookla the Heretic

On 12/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, Ookla the Dog Hater said:

Sorry for not responding sooner, work's has me running circles.

I was originally thinking he had been in that district of the Alleycity on a mission, when he heard of a sudden attack towards one of the stronger families own house. Curious, he had begun probing, then received a commission for hunting down criminals involved in the series of attacks that had followed.

Is that an acceptable reason?

@Ookla the Dog Hater

Crow Blackice, known on Scadrial as Raven Underdark, walked down into the room. She held the babies in her right arm, and set them in a crib-cage on the wall. She locked the top. It was aluminum and steel, aluminum on top, steel inside, and another lair of aluminum within.

Her face was straight, but her eyes sparkled happily. With a normal person, this would symbolize amusement. It meant this with Crow as well, but it had an entirely different context to it.

She reached into her pocket, and it emerged with something that the Wered's were probably familiar with. Three interlocking diamonds, with three symbols within. Last time the symbols were a skull on the left, a bird on the right, and a flame on the top. This time, it was a detailed chaos marine helmet on the right, a crow on the left (as opposed to the eagle of last time), and a flame made of what looked like ice on top. The Crow version of the last. As with last time, it was on a branding iron. She grinned, and strapped each of the Wered's to the massive aluminum manacles on the wall. They would not escape.

She pulled out a box from her massive hoodie pocket. A box of coals. It was hot to the touch, and she set it down, pushing the branding iron into them.

"Any last words, Wereds, before your new life starts?"

@Ookla the Aleatory @Ookla the Heretic

2 hours ago, Ookla the Dog Hater said:

"Any last words, Wereds, before your new life starts?"

A dry, twisted claw grabbed Crow from behind.

"I go through all that trouble to set up a ritual," snarled an unknown voice, "I kill the chattel, bind the daemons, and even leave a frakking note on the front porch. And you frakking ignore me?"

The claw threw Crow to the side. A chaos space marine towered over her, its flesh bulging with mutations. "You are a disgusting thug, Crow, with no appreciation for art or subtlety," it snarled, blood-red spit flying from its maw. "I hope Zariel rips your heart out and dumps it with the dung. Because she's coming for you. We all are, glorious leader."

@Ookla the Dog Hater

Crow growls, her eyes glowing dark. She stands up, muscles rippling.

"You worthless bastard."

The shardblade appears in her hand, and she began to spin it. "I am in the middle of something, if you can't see that." She spat on the ground, and growled darkly. "And if you want art, I will make your goddam corpse into a piece of art, you frakking piece of filth."

She stepped forward, sword spinning through the air, slashing into the floor, carving it up. "Now, to teach you a lesson about interruptions."

Crow stabbed her blade into the ground. "I. Don't. Like. Them."

She ripped it out of the ground, and sprinted at him, slashing down through his foot- only his foot. It pierced through it, into the ground. She jumped behind him, holding the blade up to his neck.

"As I said to the Wered's... any last words?"

@Ookla the Heretic @Ookla the Aleatory

36 minutes ago, Ookla the Dog Hater said:

Crow growls, her eyes glowing dark. She stands up, muscles rippling.

"You worthless bastard."

The shardblade appears in her hand, and she began to spin it. "I am in the middle of something, if you can't see that." She spat on the ground, and growled darkly. "And if you want art, I will make your goddam corpse into a piece of art, you frakking piece of filth."

She stepped forward, sword spinning through the air, slashing into the floor, carving it up. "Now, to teach you a lesson about interruptions."

Crow stabbed her blade into the ground. "I. Don't. Like. Them."

She ripped it out of the ground, and sprinted at him, slashing down through his foot- only his foot. It pierced through it, into the ground. She jumped behind him, holding the blade up to his neck.

"As I said to the Wered's... any last words?"

@Ookla the Heretic @Ookla the Aleatory

"Yes, you brainless piece of shrakh," the creature spat. "'The Weeping Veil will break you.'"

It thrust its head forward. The Shardblade cut straight through its neck, and it fell to the ground, smoke trailing from whatever passed for its eyes.

@Ookla the Dog Hater

On 12/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ookla the Aleatory said:

"Unfortunately," she said, replacing the paper to its hiding spot on a shelf. Harmony only knew what Pry would do if she thought Freedom had guys' phone numbers. "Do you have a minute or should I call back later? Trouble decided to show up, but it probably can't get much worse by waiting a couple of hours or a night."

Freedom stood up and paced the length of the room. It occured to her that even with Tels, she hadn't a clue of where to start. Crow's note was too convoluted.

Violence is a terrible thing. Especially when it affects you. There is nothing worse, in the eyes of many people, then Violence towards a loved one.

Trying to help, A person of abnormal strength.

She didn't know whether grammar mistakes could be dismissed or part of a code. Or even if she had all of the pieces. Something felt off. Very off.

Why, of all things, did Crow mention violence in her note?

"I'm all ears," Tels said. "My night was starting to get boring anyways."

Edited by Ookla the Imperial

On 12/4/2019 at 9:10 PM, Ookla the Heretic said:

"The mere threat of torture is enough to break most mortals. I doubt I will even have to touch them." Honerva tilted her head toward Light. "But it is brutal. Perhaps even unnecessary. But I will do it, even if it means I will be damned for my sins. We cannot waste any time with niceties. "

She walked a short distance away, then stopped. "It is good that you can still recognize these things," she said. "I... forget, sometimes, that there are other options. Thank you."

"I don't believe niceties ever really are a waste of time, but thank you," Light said. "This never had to be your fight too. All of you have done much more than you even should have felt you needed to. We forget that a lot, my family, but we are grateful."

On 12/11/2019 at 8:41 PM, Ookla the Imperial said:

"I'm all ears," Tels said. "My night was starting to get boring anyways."

She checked that her door was shut tight before beginning. "A former psychopath's former assistant kidnapped my cousins and killed my aunt and uncle in an attempt to make me and my siblings return to her to be her slaves. She got thugs to drop off strange messages pretty much saying so.

"The rest of my family, besides one sister, is on Scadrial and probably freaking out and not going to do much. Meaning, any actual progress on getting my cousins away from Crow is on me," Freedom said. "And that's the trouble. Just a standard day in the life of Freedom Acute."

On 12/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, Ookla the Dog Hater said:

Crow growled darkly, and threw her shardblade across the room, where it impaled itself two feet in the wall, near Branch and Fog's cage of steel.

She stood, and walked back to the Wered's.

"It's time we began."

@Ookla the Aleatory

The triplets looked at one another. Viness shook her head slightly at them, warning them not to be stupid.

"You asked if we had any 'last words'," Semb said.

"And we do. Eleven of them, including one compound word," Terra said.

"Life doesn't just start anew. It only continues down different paths," Honeed said.

Golda watched Crow, not daring to do anything more blatant. Exactly how mentally unstable she was had become extremely evident by her treatment of the visitor. It was her way completely or no way at all.

Unless someone ever managed to make her see reason and realize exactly how pathetic she'd become. Kidnapping children to get revenge. Who was she? A lowly thug?

Sticking this here for easier access, because as I've said previously, I don't have all the Wereds memorized.

Spoiler

Viness (F) - Tin - 24

Silk (F) - Steel - 22

Tanel (M) - Copper - 20

Golda (F) - Brass - 18

Semb (M) - Electrum - triplets - 16

Terra (F) - Chromium - triplets - 16

Honeed (F) - Bronze - triplets - 16

Bened (M) - Zinc - 14

Fauna (F) - Aluminum - 12

Fild (M) - Nicrosil - 10

Clove (M) - Duralumin - 8