Shards manifesting on worlds

Dancer

What do you think would happen if say Harmony was to just one day fully manifest himself in all his Shardic glory on Scadrial. My guess would be bad things would happen. We know that the Dor is the Shards of Dominion and Devotion on Sel and that pretty much is a death trap to anyone crossing it's Cognitive realm. Either all life will be killed on Scadiral or the planet itself will be destroyed. 

6 hours ago, Dancer said:

What do you think would happen if say Harmony was to just one day fully manifest himself in all his Shardic glory on Scadrial. My guess would be bad things would happen. We know that the Dor is the Shards of Dominion and Devotion on Sel and that pretty much is a death trap to anyone crossing it's Cognitive realm. Either all life will be killed on Scadiral or the planet itself will be destroyed. 

What do you mean by manifesting?

Just now, Ookla the Prolific said:

This is my question as well.  Arguably he already does in the way his two shards permeate the whole planet and all it's inhabitants, and also how the mists (described as the body of Preservation at one point)  cover an awful lot of it.  

In Harmony's case, I think it would be far more dramatic if he were to try to fully Manifest on some other planet, as it would represent both the Arrival of new Shards and also the (most likely violent) removal of those shards from Scadrial.  And in Scadrial's unique case, Im honesty not sure it if can even maintain existence without those two shards in residence; other planets predate their Shards, but on Scadrial they Created it whole, and there's a reasonable possibility that their Power is actively maintaining it.  

The Dor is dangerous because all that power is unconstrained and consists of two separate Shards which aren't playing nicely with each other. I don't think we can extrapolate that any manifestation of a Shard on the Physical plane would be equally destructive. Even with Harmony being two opposing Shards, there's a Vessel to contain and direct all that power unlike the Dor.

Also, we already know that Shards can 'manifest' in the Physical if they choose to.

Argent

Can Shards manifest a physical body that can actually interact with the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

If they wanted to, yes.

Argent

Was that the thing that Odium did at the end of Oathbringer or was that just a projection?

Brandon Sanderson

Umm, it starts to be really difficult to define when you're getting to these points because they generally are such massive wells of Investiture themselves that it's like, is this thing they're creating, like, they are kinda, y'know, then bending the three Realms around the like spacetime with lots of gravity so is that a projection? Is that a real thing? Does it matter? Does that definition--

Argent

Oh! At that point they are almost the same thing, right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, exactly.

JordanCon 2018 (April 20, 2018)

Edited by Ookla the Nameless

5 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

If they were to bring the entirety of their power outside the Spiritual realm and into the Physical realm. Not just create a physical body but remain in the Spiritual Realm. 

3 minutes ago, Dancer said:

If they were to bring the entirety of their power outside the Spiritual realm and into the Physical realm. Not just create a physical body but remain in the Spiritual Realm. 

I am not sure this is possible.

46 minutes ago, Dancer said:

That would essentially mean flooding the planet with Harmony's raw Investiture and, given Scadrial's nature, I would assume it would manifest as a mix of ettmetal, mists and Shardpool liquid. You get supercharged Deepness plus lots of metal that explodes when in contact with water... Ruin approves :)

I don't know if that's possible or not, but it's very unlikely we'll ever see that - no Shard (even Odium) seem to be crazy enough to try it out

Something similar to what Odium did to Devotion and Dominion?

I'm sure there's still Investiture around that is associated with them, just the power that the Vessels held was locked in the Cognitive, something similar probably can be done in the Physical but that would just manifest the same as their power normally does on that Shardworld, I imagine.

As solid godmetal or Shardblades and Shardplates, as liquid Perpendicularities, as gaseous Mist, Stormlight or Breath... 

On 11/28/2019 at 5:25 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

I am not sure this is possible.

I'm curious to know why you think that this is not possible. This is not an attack but I would be interested to know why you think that Shards can be trapped in the Cognitive Realm (Dominion and Devotion) but can't fully enter the Physical Realm. 

54 minutes ago, Dancer said:

I'm curious to know why you think that this is not possible. This is not an attack but I would be interested to know why you think that Shards can be trapped in the Cognitive Realm (Dominion and Devotion) but can't fully enter the Physical Realm. 

Because the universe if finite and a shard is the entirety of an unlimited concept.  It makes a degree of sense that all of hatred is controlled by or really just riding one mind in the SR but having that in the PR just kind of breaks your brain.

this would not be possible because everything has connections to all the realms. Investiture sort of condenses in the spiritual realm and it would be impossible for a shard to fully remove all the essence they control into the physical realm. They could manifest as an avatar with a lot of power but they couldn't remove their connections to the cognitive and spiritual realms.

23 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Because the universe if finite and a shard is the entirety of an unlimited concept.  It makes a degree of sense that all of hatred is controlled by or really just riding one mind in the SR but having that in the PR just kind of breaks your brain.

I see what you are saying and I don't disagree. It doesn't really make sense for the Shard to be able to the infinite power they have access to out of the Spiritual Realm. The reason I pose the question is that we already see in the case with Sel, Shards transitioning completely into another realm. Obviously it isn't the infinite power of the Shard only the power that they had access to in that solar system but that is also what I am assuming would happen if Harmony if possible were to fully manifest into the Physical Realm. 

6 hours ago, Thanatos said:

I think we are seeing Harmony's full power.

Its everywhere in the Cosmere, but the mind of Harmony is anchored at Scadrial. And the power is Scadrial and more.

I dont think a fully manifestation in the PR is possible. Only avatars.

Again I would agree that they wouldn't be bringing the infinite Investiture they have access to into the Physical Realm but only what they have access to in that particular system. Perhaps I should have made that more clear. That is my mistake and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.  

16 hours ago, Dancer said:

I see what you are saying and I don't disagree. It doesn't really make sense for the Shard to be able to the infinite power they have access to out of the Spiritual Realm. The reason I pose the question is that we already see in the case with Sel, Shards transitioning completely into another realm. Obviously it isn't the infinite power of the Shard only the power that they had access to in that solar system but that is also what I am assuming would happen if Harmony if possible were to fully manifest into the Physical Realm. 

So just a shard's current free investiture.  If you did that you would probably get a large chunk of metal and or a perpendicularity. 

A relevant WoB just came out:

Questioner

So, Sel: Investiture has been pushed into the Cognitive Realm. Threnody: Has it seen something similar?

Brandon Sanderson

It has not seen... Okay. Yes, something similar. It would count. Something similar, yes.

Questioner

If that's the case, what would happen if you were to push Investiture into the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

It generally manifests either as a solid, liquid, or gas

Questioner

I thought about that. I was like, "We've seen that," but it seemed like a concentrated form. What if you did for like a whole Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

That would probably have disastrous effects. 

Questioner

That's why I was thinking for Threnody, but if it hasn't been that, then something else happened.

Brandon Sanderson

It hasn't been that. Something else happened.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

• Chaos locked this topic