11 hours ago, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

Because when they all started talking about organizations, she was talking about ROAR, and he was talking about HOWL. Which she didn’t realize. 

John and Tiempo, I’m not sure how well your posts fit in. We might want to stay away from third-party organizations until we’ve fleshed out the first two better. 

Records, by the way, was meant to be a department of HOWL - not a fully separate thing. Flit has been part of it for a year or two now. However, it wouldn’t be hard to say that she’s never been to the HOWL headquarters before, because she isn’t too important. So, Xino, we could say that Abigail works in Records at HQ, and that Flit worked in the same department but at a different building; then their paths could have crossed and they could be friends, but the continuity would still work. Does that sound okay with you? 

Knight, it being a bug works with me. It seems like our tech level is high in this RP. 

True and I have been talking, and we’re starting to get some worldbuilding up. How does this sound to everyone? 

So she actually has had some dealings with ROAR?

Sure, okay. Some parts of my post still don't quite make sense, but whatever.

What sort of worldbuilding?

Aye aye cap’n!

“It’s a real pleasure to meet you!” Nictren said shaking Flit’s hand. “We’ve heard things about you, work you’ve done, and–“

That’s when a hole appeared in Nictren’s head.

Blood began to pour out, and Nictren’s head slumped to the desk. Years of training were all that kept Truthless and Flit alive. While Truthless’ mind was still in shock, trying to process what happened, his body immediately dropped down to the floor while swiping Flit’s legs from out underneath her as well, causing her to tumble to the floor as well. Two shots rang out, and the bullets intended to kill Truthless and Flit flew overhead.

Truthless rolled towards the attacker, tangling his legs. Truthless got a glimpse of his face as he fell. Drat, it was one of the guards? I thought we background-checked those guys! 

While the guard was falling, Truthless drew his gun, and whipped the butt towards the guard’s head. The guard moved his head to the side, the punched Truthless in the gut. Truthless gave a grunt, but kept the guard pinned to the ground. He never saw the gun until it was too late.

The other guard had drawn his gun, aimed it at Truthless, and fired. The bullet tore through Truthless’ arm and hit the guard pinned below square in the head.

“Run Flit, RUN!” Truthless roared, then tackled the guard before he could react. The guard had obviously expected Truthless to be a lot weaker with a bullet in him. All around him, he could hear pandemonium breaking out, gunshots ringing through the air. It’s a coup! 

The only hope now would be to get to the car in time. There were bound to be explosives planted around the base, and likely in a few minutes, the base would go up. Truthless would bet his life on it. Well... literally. 

Truthless finally took out the guard, and then dashed towards the exit.

Actually, I thought of some alternate explanations. Either Dapper is a lone agent, or he's the employee of a powerful person, with unknown intrests. 

But I don't want Dapper to be associated with either R.O.A.R or H.O.W.L, because I have an idea of where I'd like to take this iteration of him, and I want him to remain neutral. 

Abigail blinked, taking a closer look at the screen. Flit? Here? In HQ? That could only mean...

A slow smile spread across her face. Hah! I knew she could do it. "Congrats," she whispered. "Got here at last, huh?"

The sound of a swivel chair interrupted her thoughts. "Hmm?" asked its occupant, a twenty-ish man with black hair. "Say somethin', Abi?"

Abigail shook her head, "Nothing important. Someone I knew from Records HQ. Looks like they're getting a promotion."

The chair swiveled. "That old dump? Congrats to them, I say." The man rolled over to take a closer look at the screen she was staring at. "That her, eh? Reckon we be seeing her here in a day or two?"

"Who knows?" replied Abigail, turning back to her work. "If I had to guess, yes. But who knows?"

Edited by Ookla the Blue

12 hours ago, Ookla the Blue said:

John and Tiempo, I’m not sure how well your posts fit in. We might want to stay away from third-party organizations until we’ve fleshed out the first two better. 

Okay, that's probably for the best. I'm like  the city, or empire thing we're in's police chief, just a side character that might add comic relief at a later point. I'll patiently wait in the shadows for an opportune time to make my grand appearance.

On 29/11/2019 at 11:06 AM, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

Yes! 

Great :) I’ll have a ROAR character, like Knight’s.

On 29/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, Knight of Iron said:

Knight chuckled to himself, pleased. ROAR wouldn’t fall. It couldn’t. Not while Knight still breathed. Or, really, anyone from ROAR still breathed.

“Find anything interesting?”

Sinclair said, entering the room with a bunch of files, which he threw on his desk, the one adjacent to Knight’s. They were all records of instances where suspicion could be raised in the existence of ROAR. And while the organisations did a good enough job of staying secret, someone had to be there to clean up the messes that often occurred, make sure no one knew of what was happening here.

Walking beyond his own desk Sinclair leaned forwards and looked at Knight’s screen over his shoulder. Two HOWL agents.

“Nights,” he cursed.

So, the only form of magic is around the spoken word. There are multiple ways it can be used but only one is publicized, which is the one used by ROAR. Whoever hears a riddle becomes entranced, and gradually can’t think of anything else until it’s solved. 

Again I reiterate, Records is a job, not a place. :P 

Fair enough, Dapper. And True, that post was really good! Meanwhile my post is going to suck in comparison because I don’t know what I’m doing with Flit yet, so I’m sorry it’s short. 

Flit’s scream joined the yells already erupting. There was a dead man in front of her and they were trying to kill her and she had known they were going to figure her out, so why had she waited this long and just gone along with it? She ran after Truthless and tried to retrace her steps in the pandemonium to get back to the car. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:36 AM, Ookla the Maybe-Existent said:

“Find anything interesting?”

Sinclair said, entering the room with a bunch of files, which he threw on his desk, the one adjacent to Knight’s. They were all records of instances where suspicion could be raised in the existence of ROAR. And while the organisations did a good enough job of staying secret, someone had to be there to clean up the messes that often occurred, make sure no one knew of what was happening here.

Walking beyond his own desk Sinclair leaned forwards and looked at Knight’s screen over his shoulder. Two HOWL agents.

“Nights,” he cursed.

"Um, yeah, actually," Knight answered, sitting up in his chair, looking at the monitor. "Two HOWL agents, in fact. I wonder what they're doing."

That was when Knight began to crave a hamburger.

17 hours ago, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

So, the only form of magic is around the spoken word. There are multiple ways it can be used but only one is publicized, which is the one used by ROAR. Whoever hears a riddle becomes entranced, and gradually can’t think of anything else until it’s solved. 

So Awakening likely exists in some form? I would assume it would not require Breaths, and could potentially use different command words.

17 hours ago, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

Again I reiterate, Records is a job, not a place. :P 

From what I understand, it's a division, most of which is at Records HQ. I suppose it was unclear. :P I'll fix it.

There’s not Awakening - there aren’t any cosmere magics. 

It is a division, but I was thinking there are people from it in different bases. :P I also thought Abigail was in it - if not, what is she in? 

On 2/12/2019 at 2:13 AM, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

Does this mean there are other ways of using it that are yet to be discovered? Or simply that riddles is the most well known?

On 12/3/2019 at 11:52 AM, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

There’s not Awakening - there aren’t any cosmere magics. 

Right, not Cosmere awakening. But it could be similar- like, people recite a poem and bring something to life, or erase memories, or something like that.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:52 AM, Ookla the Roleplayer said:

It is a division, but I was thinking there are people from it in different bases. :P I also thought Abigail was in it - if not, what is she in? 

Abigail used to work at the Records HQ place where Flit works, but she got transferred to the main HQ. Actually, she probably isn't Records anymore- more likely Security, given where she is.

Okay then. Though Flit wasn’t working at HQ, just a random place. That makes more sense though - I was wondering why the NPC guy would’ve insulted himself :P 

Maybe it could, but I want to stay away from stuff that’s like cosmere magic, just for uniqueness. 

Ok, so my idea was to do something like the types of Chants used by Gleemen and Court Bards in WoT. It's a bit hard to explain, but basically, there's High Chant, which is complicated and used when reciting stories to kings and highborn, Plain Chant, which is less complicated and used by Gleemen when telling stories to common folk, and Common Chant, which is basically normal speaking.
The Plain and High Chants are usually similar to free verse poetry.
But basically, by speaking in a certain way, one can accomplish various feats. There are some known verses which do specific things, but a very good Chanter can weave new verses on the spot, but this is very rare, and is usually only accomplished after years of working with the Chants. 

The types of Chants are distinguished as such: 

Common Chant: Normal speaking, basically. 

Lesser Chant: This Chant is the kind most recited by practitioners of the Chants, because it’s easy to recite and memorize verses. Most verses in Lesser Chant have some margin of error, although a verse recited imperfectly may cause some undesired effects. 

Greater Chant: It’s harder to recite verses in Greater Chant, because they’re usually very complex and must be recited in a very specific way to achieve any effect. However, Greater Chant can accomplish much more than Lesser Chant.

There are some verses that are very similar in the Lesser and Greater Chant, and they cause the same effects, though the verse in Greater usually creates a much more amplified effect.

Edited by Ookla the Stand User

Just now, Ookla the Stand User said:

Ok, so my idea was to do something like the types of Chants used by Gleemen and Court Bards in WoT. It's a bit hard to explain, but basically, there's High Chant, which is complicated and used when reciting stories to kings and highborn, Plain Chant, which is less complicated and used by Gleemen when telling stories to common folk, and Common Chant, which is basically normal speaking.
The Plain and High Chants are usually similar to free verse poetry.
But basically, by speaking in a certain way, one can accomplish various feats. There are some known verses that do specific things, but a very good Chanter can weave new verses on the spot, but this is very rare, and is usually only accomplished after years of working with the Chants. 

The types of Chants are distinguished as such: 

Common Chant: Normal speaking, basically. 

Lesser Chant: This Chant is the kind most recited by practitioners of the Chants, because it’s easy to recite and memorize verses. Most verses in Lesser Chant have some margin of error, although a verse recited imperfectly may cause some undesired effects. 

Greater Chant: It’s harder to recite verses in Greater Chant, because they’re usually very complex and must be recited in a very specific way to achieve any effect. However, Greater Chant can accomplish much more than Lesser Chant.

There are some verses that are very similar in the Lesser and Greater Chant, and they cause the same effects, though the verse in Greater usually creates a much more amplified effect.

Interesting. I don't know if we necessarily need the division between chants.

An idea- once a chant is started it must be completed. Stopping in the middle could cause the chant to explode, randomly apply its effect, or even escape the chanter and take on a life of its own.