Long Game 62: Remaster of the House

Straw

Dera Renault climbed onto the stone, and smiled as her Kandra drove a dagger through her heart.

Finally, there would be peace.

Elkanah has won! StrikerEZ has won! Wonko the Sane has won!

Documents of Note:

-The Watchers in the Mist

-House Elariel

-House Hasting

-House Tekiel

-House Venture

Bookkeeping:

-PM Index

-Master Spreadsheet

GM Notes:

-Congratulations to our seven winners!

-I'll write up a larger post in a bit with my thoughts about the game.

-Due to the prevalence of PMs in this game, you might want to explain what you were doing, so the spectators can figure out what was happening.

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Elbereth (Lady Celeste) Tekiel

2. Bartimaeus (Molsier Randaller) Tekiel

3. Coda (Ashweather Tarnin) Hasting

4. Araris Valerian (Hadrian Penrod) Elariel

5. Lemonelon (Lady Elenbora) Elariel

6. Elandera (Dera Renault) Venture

7. STINK (Germane Moniker) Elariel

8. Snipexe (Anonymous Unknown) Tekiel

9. Elkanah (TBA) Hasting Kandra

10. StrikerEZ (Variel) Hasting

11. Devotary of Spontaneity (Lady Voelge) Venture

12. Wonko the Sane (TBA) Venture Kandra

13. Abstrusity (Mundric Petasum) Hasting

14. Stick (Unknown Anonymous) Elariel Kandra

15. Manukos (Glenn) Venture

16. Shqueeves (Mukluk Topper) Tekiel

So, here are my comments on the game.

-Elbereth was pretty scary in this game. She made a ton of PMs (just look at the PM Index), and managed to figure out what almost every player was doing each Night. Look on the fourth page of the dead doc for the link to her notes.

-I did not expect to see so many Kandra, and I was very surprised that people were willing to trust each other enough to go for the Kandra victory.

-I'm pretty sure that this is the second shortest game in terms of thread length, with the shortest being QF1.

-Beggars were surprisingly underutilized, and were only used twice over the course of the game. It was nice to not have to write all that stuff out too much though. :P

For Future GMs:

-As Elbereth noted in the dead doc, this game probably would have been better as a MR. Most of the rules are better in that format anyways, and it makes the game run at a better pace.

-It'd be interesting to have an activity filter in the future. There weren't really any super inactive people in this game, but it'd be nice to have more discussion in the thread.

-Some kind of nerf to Kandra would probably be a good idea. No one used any other Atium actions.

-Obligators need to be buffed. No one used them, and they're useless if people aren't voting.

@Elbereth I just read through the spec doc. I would say I’m mad that you didn’t want to go for the Kandra win, but I can’t blame you. Lying and backstabbing basically was the point of this game. :P

Also, I’m sad that this game was run during my finals. If I’d had more time, I would’ve done a lot more RP. I’d really hyped myself up about Variel. Of course, I think I might go and write some RP now that the game is over and Variel basically won control of his house. :P

Well, unfortunately I didn’t get to partake in the backstabbing much this game. I’m rather miffed that Elbereth betrayed me during the very first cycle, causing my death. Congrats to her for winning and for not Kandrafying everyone at the end. (Also to Stick for an amazing first cycle victory!) My disappointment at dying was someone lessened when the person responsible won so quickly afterwards.

As far as a general game comment, I’m not sure what I think about the winning players disappearing. I was worried that rule would impact strategy for players about to win, since once a player won, they couldn’t honor any previous agreements. However, the previous incarnation of the rules also caused me some frustration, so I’m not sure what the best way to remediate that would be.

9 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

As far as a general game comment, I’m not sure what I think about the winning players disappearing. I was worried that rule would impact strategy for players about to win, since once a player won, they couldn’t honor any previous agreements. However, the previous incarnation of the rules also caused me some frustration, so I’m not sure what the best way to remediate that would be.

How would you feel about having winners remain in the game for one cycle?

@Araris Valerian as noted in the doc, I am sorry about that - I tried to ensure that the people I was protecting didn’t die, and for some reason didn’t avert that one. 

I think this was definitely the better version in terms of what was done with winners; I think one cycle remaining would be a good compromise as well. 

Striker, not sorry. :P At least you won! I tried to keep my allies alive for as long as I could, I just also wanted to win for myself in the end, not as a kandra. :P 

• 1 month later...

I'm storming sorry I basically quit the forums during this game. Due to an unfortunate concatenation of happenstance, I was unable to access a computer/have free time for quite a while. But I'm back now. Look out for me in upcoming games.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long while since the end of this game. Thank you Straw for running it. It was a pleasure to play. And congratulations again to all seven of the winners this game: Elkanah, StrikerEZ, Wonko the Sane, Manukos, Lemonelon, Stick, and Elbereth!

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion Thread. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: