8 hours ago, breakingamber said:

Moonglow runs a more stable, more organized faction, but also probably has slightly less-powerful capes. Her area is better for vanillas. She also is somewhat feminist.

Less feminist, and more just a personal preference of working with women? Most of the Epics currently serving her are male anyway, I think.

28 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

capes?

vanillas?

Maples?

Ugh, very sorry; getting my lingo mixed up all over the place.

Vanillas and maples are both fan-made terms for unpowered people in the Reckoners universe. We tended to use the term vanilla down when we were still in Oregon, but slang in Canada is different - I should be using the word maple more than vanilla.

And by cape, I mean Epic. Cape is a term for a powered person in a different serial, and, again, got confused.

That's what I get for answering questions at 11:00 PM.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, Negative_Null said:

I'll submit this character, although I somewhat doubt I'll play very often (just because I'm in so many other RPs here). So his personality will keep him somewhat out of the way unless it's more important or you guys need him.

Hide contents

Name: Alec Farwen

Epic Name: Starfall

Appearance: A dark haired man with golden eyes. He's rather average height but still has the Epic intimidation factor. He tends to wear dark clothing with gold accents, like bracelets, rings, or a gold shirt under a black coat.

Powers: Hard-light creation. Starfall can create rudimentary hard-light constructs and control them. Sometimes this means swords, guns, or projectiles, but what Starfall usually uses is creating a construct that will act on its own with rudimentary instructions, such as "Follow", "Defend", "Intimidate", or "Kill". These constructs have their own senses and can be destroyed with some effort. Starfall can sense everything each of his constructs can sense, and, while doesn't seem to have a technical limit on the number he can create, will get overloaded with sensory input after a certain number, usually around 7 or 8. 

This power is connected to his secondary power, which is extrasensory perception. Starfall can see out of multiple perspectives, as if he has a group of constructs around him at all times. He has to focus on one perspective at a time, but will be alerted by movement in any number of them at a time. His field of view in each perspective is the same as his normal eyes, but in aggregate he can see everything around him in every direction.

Weakness

Reveal hidden contents

Being alone. As such, he always has a group of admirers and hangers-on with him.

Personality: Starfall is a showman first and a leader second. Much of his control over the city Constellation is because of his ability to make himself seem invincible and in complete control. He uses drama as a weapon, exploiting tropes and clichés to manipulate opponents, and makes sure to "set the stage" appropriately for any kind of encounter. His favorite part is the denouement, when he gets to explain every move and countermove that led up to that point, although he's not dumb enough to do it while his opponent is still alive. He brings along an audience for that. 

His name comes from how he patrols his city. If there's any detection of wrong doing, he will send a group of constructs in, falling from the sky. These kill squads are often called "shooter stars" in Constellation. He also uses the constructs in other ways to "subtly" remind people of his power, such as serving drinks or food at parties.

Starfall believes that his authority comes from his ability to use his power right. He has disdain for people like Regalia or Larcener who stay out of the public view, and respect for Steelheart, who knew how to use public opinion to his advantage.

Backstory: Alec came to a small city shortly after Calamity. For a while, he lived there without using his Epic power at all. However, the town was attacked by other (usually more minor) Epics, and he used his powers to defend the town, trying to limit his use, since he felt the darkness. During this time, he went by Star, and tried to use non-lethal force against opposing Epics. Eventually though, it became too much. During a fight with a fire epic named Archangel, he snapped and brutally killed him. After that night, he took over the town officially under the guise of making it more defensible, and reorganized it as Constellation, the city of Stars. He recruited other minor epics as advisors and continued to rule.

Well, since it looks like we have some official leadership now, I would like to submit this character for power balancing, since I never really got feedback on him.

8 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Well, since it looks like we have some official leadership now, I would like to submit this character for power balancing, since I never really got feedback on him.

First off, he looks fine, powers-wise. I like the way you've described his character too; sounds like he'd be fun to RP with/around.

Main question though: where is Constellation, and what does it have to do with the RP? Like, the RP takes place in Edmonton, Canada; is Starfall scouting out new territory? Is he leading an invasion force? Is he on vacation? 

9 minutes ago, breakingamber said:

Main question though: where is Constellation, and what does it have to do with the RP? Like, the RP takes place in Edmonton, Canada; is Starfall scouting out new territory? Is he leading an invasion force? Is he on vacation? 

I was thinking it could be pretty close to Edmonton, like it used to be a suburb before Calamity. Star normally would be content with Constellation but with all the new Epics coming so close, he'd probably feel rather threatened, and maybe, just maybe, he could make a play for power in Edmonton itself if the stage is set just right.

3 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

I was thinking it could be pretty close to Edmonton, like it used to be a suburb before Calamity. Star normally would be content with Constellation but with all the new Epics coming so close, he'd probably feel rather threatened, and maybe, just maybe, he could make a play for power in Edmonton itself if the stage is set just right.

Ah, okay. In that case, your character should be just fine.

6 hours ago, Negative_Null said:

So since this is location specific, if I want to have Starfall do anything there'd have to be a "What happened in Constellation" thread?

I think that as long as their main activity is in Edmonton it should be fine? Not much for them to do outside of Edmonton anyway, since all other characters are in Edmonton.

Finally.

Blockade:

Spoiler

Epic name: Blockade

General Appearance: Caucasian male, 6’2”, skinny but with some muscle behind it, 20 years old, has flat ear-length blond hair with a neon blue streak going over and behind his left ear. Wears baggy jeans and a cyan-colored polo shirt, and wears a wooden circlet (made by Chloro to provide oxygen) with five small blue fields embedded within. Occasionally wears blue-tinted metal bracers to hide some of Gyroto’s tech. Will noticeably glow cyan in the dark due to personal field.

Primary Power: Force fields. Blockade has the ability to form force fields with specific properties. They appear as a transparent, slightly neon-blue/cyan glasslike substance ranging from almost paperthin on tiny fields to a few centimeters on larger ones. The bigger they are, the more uninterrupted concentration it takes to form them, from near instantaneous for miniscule to meter-diameter fields to a few seconds for room sized ones to a minute to protect a building. The bigger the field, the stronger it becomes, although small fields are still quite strong and will take a few punches.

Fields that are made overlapping objects bind to and reinforce them, while fields that overlap no objects can be changed in size by Blockade. Fields can also be made with or without “mass”, which means that they can be immobile (but weaker) or mobile (but affected by gravity). Lastly, the fields act like a boosted rubber, redirecting part of the energy that hits them before it takes damage.

When a field takes damage, it will start to ripple and eventually crack. Cracks will repair over time slowly, or very quickly if Blockade focuses on doing so.

Secondary Applications: these powers aren’t more Epic powers, but rather applications of his force field abilities. He’s not perfect at using them, though.

·       Adhesion: If Blockade creates a field that overlaps with an object or another force field, the field will bind to that object. If it overlaps with multiple objects, it will bind to all of them – effectively binding the objects together.

·       Reinforcement: A binding field also reinforces the structural integrity of any object it’s bound to, strongest right around the binding edge of the field and extending outward.

·       Pressure: If Blockade creates a field that doesn’t overlap with any physical object, he can change its size, growing or shrinking it. However, Blockade’s fields are airtight – so any change in volume of the field changes its pressure. Expanding a field can create a partial vacuum, while contracting it can create a high-pressure zone, possibly crushing whatever is within. (Note that this takes some time to do – not a lot of time, but a few seconds at least. Fields can also be broken from the inside. So, it’s not as powerful as Prof’s in this regard).

·       Force: When a field is hit, it applies a near-equivalent redirective force on whatever hit it, making them slightly bouncy like a hard rubber. When a field breaks fully, it emits a stronger force on the outside of the field, pushing back anything in its path. The strength of this pulse is proportional to the surface area of the field, and is especially evident in quarter fields where the outside of the field is in approximately a single direction. Blockade can use this to propel himself by making and breaking a field, bouncing off a strong field, as well as an offensive tool to push around enemies – although he needs something to break the field first.

·       Personal Field: Blockade is constantly generating a protective field around himself. This field operates differently than his other fields, as it is technically multiple layers of semi-mobile, miniscule fields bound to his skin and each other. It’s strong and repairs itself quickly as a powerful PI, but it is overcomeable with sustained force – if you can keep him from ruining it with other fields. Blockade will generally supplement the field with larger, more obvious fields to look like partial armor and cover vulnerable regions of his personal field.

·       Citywide Field: A really big force field, about a meter thick and sometimes miles in diameter. Other than that, it follows the same properties as other fields, although it must be grounded in order to be made (no giant orb of death today) and takes a LOT of concentration to set up.

Tertiary Power: Super Strength, Dexterity, and Stamina – he’s pretty certain this power is just a side affect of his personal field, but it’s worth noting. Not incredible on Epic scales, but about the level of a super serum-enhanced individual (ie Winter Soldier).

PAPEL: Can stick any two things together with almost perfect success, protect any area, and is incredible at holding terrain either as a support from afar or on site. A good unarmed fighter even without his abilities.

MO: Tries to set up networks of fields to protect areas. In combat, will generally set up a "ring" of a field with him and an opponent trapped inside, then proceed to pound his opponent into the floor. If they irritate him too much (which is not necessarily the same thing as them winning), he can put a field around their heads and watch them asphyxiate. And if Blockade decides he wants to be somewhere, have fun getting him to move.

Backstory: Jeramiah Anders had a bad habit of picking fights as a kid growing up in Vancouver, and would often be the worse for wear at the end of the day. He wanted to take karate lessons, but his mother forbid him to as she thought (correctly) he would just win the fights he was causing. Instead, Anders started playing e-sports, which he found worked as a good outlet for his anger management, but there were still a few episodes – including semi-accidentally breaking his older sister’s wrist, which he then regretted severely and semi-literally beat himself up over it for weeks. When Calamity struck, Anders gained powers in the middle of an online match and just didn’t notice – until a robber broke in, aided by Epic powers relating to knives and stealth, and attacked his family who were having dinner without him. Anders heard a scream and reacted instinctively, making and breaking a field to break through the floor and proceeded to literally beat the Epic into a bloody pulp. He then looked up, and his family was gone – they had all fled the house through the back door at seeing him. That was when Anders truly began his Rending, using his fields to break any Epic or maple who dared stand in his way until he found his weakness in a maple who had a resemblance to his mother. A shred of his good naturedness returned, he decided to control rather than destroy, and hopped from city to city, eventually meeting up with Intercession (and witnessing the disaster that resulted in Ferocity’s creation) and Gyroto, among others. The cities he attempts to control usually end up overwhelmed by Ferocity, so he’s trying something new in Edmonton – to see if the unusual quantity of Epics there can be united with a common foe.

Personality: Mercurial. Even before Calamity struck, Anders had anger issues, and his weakness increases his double nature. On good days, he’s a utilitarian leader, trying to protect his people with whatever he can do, and burning off steam by challenging other Epics to duels and feats of strength – he’ll even limit his own capabilities to truly experience a challenge and will even accept a loss from a fair opponent. But on bad days, he quickly becomes a very dangerous person to be around, and will lash out at any further nettling with excessive force. There are a few things that set him off, such as attacking him (duh) or breaking the rules in one of his challenges, to insulting him in a place that stings more or just plain being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This tends to be a feedback – in an angry mood, more things will set him off (and his weakness is less limiting). He’ll occasionally just set up fields around himself to give him something to take his anger out on.

Weakness: Breaking something / someone he cares about. This can vary wildly depending on Blockade’s current mindset: if he’s less corrupted after not widely using his abilities or he’s in a good mood, he starts caring about the people he rules over, which makes him less likely to lash out randomly at them. But if he’s in a foul mood, suddenly he stops caring about random people’s lives and can kill them without triggering his weakness at all. There are things (and people) he cares enough about that even in at his strongest rage that damaging/hurting them can cause his powers to fail. It has to be his actions that cause the damage, including accidental but generally not including indirect damage. Another individual damaging something Blockade cares about may notice a flicker in Blockade’s fields, but it won’t really affect them – and they just made Blockade very, very angry.

Such items include: His PlayStation and favorite controller, a black belt, his ring, a box of random things he’s found, whatever he decides to collect at the time. (May add items here as the story progresses/as needed).

Such people include: His sister (who he hasn’t seen for a few years now), Intercession, on most days Gyroto and his other advisors, on some days the general population of his territory.

I'll stick it in the Epic List thread, along with some edits to Gyroto (changed Roto's name) and some of Blockade's minor Epics.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I have read this thread and I think I have an epic in mind.

@kenodIs this a good character?

KAIA:

Spoiler

Name: Kaia Turner 

Epic name: Kaia (she cannot focus on choosing a epic name)

Primary: siphoning speed: This works in two ways:

1. Siphon Aura: Kaia automatically siphons half of nearby speed (15m radius) and adds it to her own speed. while she gains speed, she will gain increased balance and coordination. The sum of the speed is always the same. This effect can be lowered. she can also use this speed for a longer duration, but she will be slower.

2. Siphon Sight: Kaia can choose to siphon speed from a moving object or person upon looking at them. she can choose how much speed and when this is being used, she gains increased balance and coordination. she can also use this speed for a longer duration, but she will be slower.

she can transfer this speed through touch and it will last for 15 seconds before the effect wears off. The amount is controled by Kaia and she cannot take it back, nor can she change it after she has gifted it.

Secondary: self-Gravity: can walk up walls but she has to be touching them with her feet (works with shoes).

Weakness:

Spoiler

leadership: she cannot siphon the speed of anyone she rules. 

Personality: 

• Fast, even without her powers
  • Ambidextrous 
  • Intelligent
  • Has ADHD: she often cannot focus on one thing. "uh what was it again? oh and I think Deathless means death because deathless has 9 letters and so does cutthroat."
  • Missing some logic: she can often  not think of reasonable answers. "Eating watermelon and destroying death stars?"
  • Likes to compound to very contrast thoughts (such as "I like camel and car keys rusting sounds terrible") in speech.
  • But she can focus on something that is important to her, just not all the time.

Corruption: "I feel like murdering someone" *murders a vanilla* 

PAPEL: well, who would not like to read upside down. Plus, Kaia is never late. 

Backstory: Kaia Turner was a special needs kid in Vancover (astoria). She was smart, but couldn't apply the intelligence to anything. She was very lonely in school and everyone hated her for two reasons: she was weird, and she had been in charge once and two people drowned in that time. She left her family after they all became epics and headed towards Edmonton. 

her family was made up of her sister, who became a summoner (maybe I might make them a character), her dad, and her mom (both dead).

Appearence: wears pre-calamity trends. has blond hair, and blue eyes.

Edited by Exotwo
fixed bad formatting.

So, is the speed-siphoning conscious, or is it an automatic system?

Also, she'd have been 3 or 4 when calamity came, not sure if she'd have been in school at that point? Of course, Vancouver might have been able to keep classes running somewhat longer.

Does she instantly siphon speed? So I guess that's a primary invincibility in that case. Not a big issue though, I think, not the first PI we have, and other stuff like heat, light and possibly pressure still work, so not Steelheart level invincible.

And yeah, you can just drop them in. Might be good to first talk with the others if someone has a character free to interact with them, making things a bit more interesting for you. We also have a discord server here: https://discord.gg/cq66sJYN, which would make getting into contact with the others easier for you.

Edit: um, actually, how does the speed siphoning work? Does she just get the velocity, multiplies it, store it, and then instantly accelerate a different object to that (or a lower) speed?

Edited by kenod

Speed siphoning works in two ways: 

1 she would automaticly steal half of this moving object or person's speed and add it to her own speed. example: a car moving at 35mph enters the siphon aura. Kaia is running at 15mph. the car would, upon entering, lose half of its speed, and would move at 17.5mph. Kaia would then gain the other half and move at 32.5mph. another example is a car moving at 105mph (for no reason) and kaia running at the same 15mph as before. the car would lose half its speed until it left the aura, or at 52.5mph. kaia recives the other half, moving at 67.5mph. the car leaves the aura and kaia returns to 15mph. her aura is about 15m in radus. Her second way is to look at an object or organism that is moving. she can control how much speed is stolen and the sum of kaia and the thing's speed will stay the same. also the transerence I think works like this: She will no longer be able to store speed in objects, but can sacrifice her personal speed to enhance others. the sum of the speed always will stay the same. also I guess the speed is everything, momentum and whatnot, but she will probaly not know this.  she is not a precog, either and the siphon aura can be lowered. I'll check on the discord tomorrow and sorry for this one large paragraph. 

No problem. I'm guessing her power also interacts with her body so she doesn't immediately fall over or break her leg while running? As well as an enhanced sense of balance and reflexes for when running and turning?

7 hours ago, kenod said:

No problem. I'm guessing her power also interacts with her body so she doesn't immediately fall over or break her leg while running? As well as an enhanced sense of balance and reflexes for when running and turning?

yeah. I never really thought of that.  I also guess that the transfereence would do the same too.

Alright, I'd suggest adding that and the expanded explanation to the character sheet. Other than it, I can't really find anything. I'd personally prefer for someone else to look it over too, but I don't think the rest really checks this thread anymore. Besides, our approval process isn't all that formal anyway, and we have quite a lot of variance regarding power strengths.

32 minutes ago, kenod said:

Alright, I'd suggest adding that and the expanded explanation to the character sheet. Other than it, I can't really find anything. I'd personally prefer for someone else to look it over too, but I don't think the rest really checks this thread anymore. Besides, our approval process isn't all that formal anyway, and we have quite a lot of variance regarding power strengths.

Character sheet?

EDIT: also this discord invite doesn't work.

Edited by Exotwo

Probably timed out, here's a new one: https://discord.gg/QQ4mkbTJ

Your character sheet is the spoilered bit you made a few posts above, with all the information about your character.
Also, when it's fully finished, you can post it in here: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/70228-edmonton’s-recipe-for-epic-maple-pug-treats/, it's the place we post all finished characters so we have a list for quickly looking stuff up.

I have another character. they will be easier to interact with.

Eidolon:

Spoiler

Eidolon planning character:

Name: Travis Kingsford

Epic name: Eidolon

Appearance: orange t-shirt underneath a grey blazer. Wears black track pants.

Ability without weakness:

Spoiler

Primary: spirit realm: upon concentrating on a person within 2m, looking at an object or touch. Please understand please

Eidolon can create a realm where everything is the same, except sentient beings will not be able to interact with the real world. In this realm, eidolon has telekinesis (15m) and sentient beings have flight and to go incorporeal.

Sound, sight and smell, but not the ability to feel or taste. Upon entering, certain physical conditions will be kept (i.e. on fire, ADHD, dyslexia, missing right leg) but others will not (i.e. hypothermia, covid19). While in the spirit world, mind control, corruption and illusions will not take affect, but invisibility will. The things taken are what the skin is touching when moving in or out of the spirit realm.

There is not a need for food or water, warmth, or oxygen in the spirit realm so it is like a bio-suspension. 

Eidolon can send people to or from nearly instantly or himself instantly without a cooldown. Only sight is required Return without eidolon’s assistance is possible through self reflection

People in the spirit world are visible in the normal world, required one is thinking about that sentient being. They will appear in an alternating pale green-lavender pulse, and will seem solid, (the person that s thinking of them will feel them as solid) they can still fly and be incorporeal.

Secondary:  Spirit copy: eidolon can create three incorporeal clones of himself that is alternating in a orange-purple pulse. Eidolon can only focus on one clone at a time, and the rest will continue doing the task eidolon told them to do last. His main body is not this way though, it just seems unconscious.

Tertiary: can communicate with ancestors. This ability has an enhanced mind.

Passive: will automatically go to the spirit world upon being in danger.

With weakness:

Spoiler

Primary: spirit realm: upon looking at an object or touch. Please understand please

Eidolon can create a realm where everything is the same, except sentient beings will not be able to interact with the real world. In this realm, eidolon has telekinesis (5m) and sentient beings have flight and to go incorporeal.

Sound, sight and smell, but not the ability to feel or taste. Upon entering, certain physical conditions will be kept (i.e. on fire, ADHD, dyslexia, missing right leg) but others will not (i.e. hypothermia, covid19). While in the spirit world, mind control, corruption and illusions will not take affect, but invisibility will.

There is not a need for food or water, warmth, or oxygen in the spirit realm so it is like a bio-suspension. 

Eidolon can send people to or from nearly instantly or himself instantly without a cooldown and touch is not required. Return without eidolon’s assistance is possible through self reflection

People in the spirit world are visible in the normal world, required one is thinking about that sentient being. They will appear in an alternating pale green-lavender pulse, and will seem solid, (the person that s thinking of them will feel them as solid) they can still fly and be incorporeal.

Secondary:  Spirit copy: eidolon can create an incorporeal clone of himself that is alternating in a orange-purple pulse. Eidolon can only focus on the clone or himself at a time, and the clone when in the main body is being controlled will continue doing the task eidolon told them to do last. His main body is not this way though, it just seems unconscious. This ability has a 5km range, meaning that the clone will dissipate upon reaching the border.

Tertiary: This ability has an enhanced mind.

Weakness:

Spoiler

crowds. When around other people, his abilities are weakened according to above and when there are more than 500 people thinking about him or looking at him, his powers are completely gone.

Personality:

Intelligent

Has ADHD not as bad as kaia

Loyal

Often does weird things.

Likes to be lonely

Backstory:

Eidolon lived in edmonton belived in ghosts and loved them, but was teased for it at school. He dropped out, and begain living alone and apart in portland.  Other than that, he has never really communicated with the outside world, and headed to Edmonton to avenge his ancestors yet again.

Corruption: eidolon likes helping people out, despite his weakness, although anyone who disturbs his alone time will find themselves lonely in the spirit realm.

PAPEL: always uses his powers to go through walls and such

@kenod, can I make this charcter interact with moonglow?

Edited by Exotwo