On 4/8/2021 at 0:22 PM, PreciousNoodle said:

Completely forgot about this (again... oops). I have a looooooooot of work to do on the character still.

Hide contents

Alias: Just call her Thorn for now

Name: Acantha

Primary Power: (Fluent) Communication with all living organisms and persuading them to do things (had a hard time coming up with anything :P)

Secondary Power: Also fluent in all human languages

Weakness: Unknown.

Backstory: Grew up in a small town on the coast of the Pacific Northwest.

Personality: We'll see what it ends up like

Figured out some more stuff

I have a lot of questions. Sorry if it's overwhelming, just some things to think about.

Is the communication limited to "intelligent" creatures? i.e can she talk to a plant? And would she be able to understand the plant if it was able to speak back? I assume her persuasion will not speed things up. (i.e if she tells a plant to grow very tall, it will grow at normal plant speed, not suddenly become tall.) How persuasive is she (i.e can she tell someone to do something they'd never ever do)? Range? Amount of creatures at once? Is it harder to influence smarter creatures or bigger creatures (i.e easy to persuade a cat but hard to persuade a human)?

And off-topic, but I really want to make another character... (yes, I know I have 6 characters)

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Reckoners RP Discord server?

Also also, I added Plainherder (one of my background characters) to my character sheet.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:57 PM, Not an Ookla said:

I have a lot of questions. Sorry if it's overwhelming, just some things to think about.

Is the communication limited to "intelligent" creatures? i.e can she talk to a plant? And would she be able to understand the plant if it was able to speak back? I assume her persuasion will not speed things up. (i.e if she tells a plant to grow very tall, it will grow at normal plant speed, not suddenly become tall.) How persuasive is she (i.e can she tell someone to do something they'd never ever do)? Range? Amount of creatures at once? Is it harder to influence smarter creatures or bigger creatures (i.e easy to persuade a cat but hard to persuade a human)?

And off-topic, but I really want to make another character... (yes, I know I have 6 characters)

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Reckoners RP Discord server?

Also also, I added Plainherder (one of my background characters) to my character sheet.

No idea what happened to the discord, it's disappeared from my list of servers. It's possible it got deleted.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, Not an Ookla said:

Let's see here, time to get to work on those questions :) (They are color-coded)

Yes she can talk to plants, animals, anything that's alive really.

Yes the communication goes both ways (and she can understand the animal body language too).

That is correct.

She can do that, but it's exhausting and it's possible (but still difficult) for whoever/whatever she's commanding to stop or change what they're doing.

Don't know yet.

It is not harder to influence them according to size, and usually it doesn't really matter how intelligent the creature is. But if the creature is really lazy, it will be hard to influence it because it won't really want to do much.

2 hours ago, Fallapede said:

No idea what happened to the discord, it's disappeared from my list of servers. It's possible it got deleted.

That's what I figured.

47 minutes ago, PreciousNoodle said:

Let's see here, time to get to work on those questions :) (They are color-coded)

Yes she can talk to plants, animals, anything that's alive really.

Yes the communication goes both ways (and she can understand the animal body language too).

That is correct.

She can do that, but it's exhausting and it's possible (but still difficult) for whoever/whatever she's commanding to stop or change what they're doing.

Don't know yet.

It is not harder to influence them according to size, and usually it doesn't really matter how intelligent the creature is. But if the creature is really lazy, it will be hard to influence it because it won't really want to do much.

Wow, color-coded just for me? :P

Alright sounds good! Do keep me updated on the purple one.

Edited by Not an Ookla

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi! By the looks of things, this place has been pretty quiet, but if it's still alive, I'd like to join! So here's my character. I hope they make sense.

Nobody (the name is definitely not stolen from the SCP Foundation)

Spoiler

Epic name: Nobody

Primary power: Can't be sensed directly. They can still be perceived by video and audio recordings, pictures, etc, just not by sensory input

Secondary power: I don't think they have one? Maybe a memory effect? I'm not sure

Weakness: Being perceived. If Nobody thinks they're being perceived, the power won't work

Backstory: Grew up in a standard undetermined town (I don't know American towns well, sorry) with severe stage fright and pressure from their parents to succeed. They wanted nothing more than to disappear, and then they did. I don't really know if they would know they're an Epic since it only works when they think they aren't being perceived, but I'll err on the side of knowledge cause I can imagine scenarios where they "appear from nowhere" in front of people.

Personality: Anxious, paranoid, terrified constantly. Other then that, I guess I'll figure it out as I go

20 hours ago, Fabien said:

Hi! By the looks of things, this place has been pretty quiet, but if it's still alive, I'd like to join! So here's my character. I hope they make sense.

Nobody (the name is definitely not stolen from the SCP Foundation)

Hide contents

Epic name: Nobody

Primary power: Can't be sensed directly. They can still be perceived by video and audio recordings, pictures, etc, just not by sensory input

Secondary power: I don't think they have one? Maybe a memory effect? I'm not sure

Weakness: Being perceived. If Nobody thinks they're being perceived, the power won't work

Backstory: Grew up in a standard undetermined town (I don't know American towns well, sorry) with severe stage fright and pressure from their parents to succeed. They wanted nothing more than to disappear, and then they did. I don't really know if they would know they're an Epic since it only works when they think they aren't being perceived, but I'll err on the side of knowledge cause I can imagine scenarios where they "appear from nowhere" in front of people.

Personality: Anxious, paranoid, terrified constantly. Other then that, I guess I'll figure it out as I go

Wait- someone's gonna join?! YES!!

Character looks good! Doesn't need to have a secondary, it just that most Epics in this RP have a lot of abilities.

I'm now going to be annoying as usual and ask questions now. What about Epic abilities that can sense people?

And I think Exotwo is gone from the Shard :(. I'll have to ask them about me possibly taking over Sundew to finish up the interaction really quick (or I can drag them back here :P)

4 hours ago, Not an Ookla said:

Wait- someone's gonna join?! YES!!

Character looks good! Doesn't need to have a secondary, it just that most Epics in this RP have a lot of abilities.

I'm now going to be annoying as usual and ask questions now. What about Epic abilities that can sense people?

And I think Exotwo is gone from the Shard :(. I'll have to ask them about me possibly taking over Sundew to finish up the interaction really quick (or I can drag them back here :P)

I think any sensory perception would be affected unless it's an Epic power about indirect sensing like long-distance photography or something. Direct observation is impossible while the power is active. Of course, the power doesn't work when Nobody thinks they're being observed, so it's mildly useless. Just a bit.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:38 PM, Fabien said:

I think any sensory perception would be affected unless it's an Epic power about indirect sensing like long-distance photography or something. Direct observation is impossible while the power is active. Of course, the power doesn't work when Nobody thinks they're being observed, so it's mildly useless. Just a bit.

How far out does their power go? Would the effects they have on the environment still be observable, i.e. if they kicked a rock would the motion and/or noise register, or would that be blocked as well?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I haven't been here in awhile, and I kinda fell through on my promises last time, so I won't make any this time. Just wanted to say. I've missed you guys, to be honest. Hopefully I can get back to this eventually, but I know if I try it right now it will just be a mess.

Anywho, how have y'all been?

17 hours ago, VanillaDCocoKing said:

Hello!

I haven't been here in awhile, and I kinda fell through on my promises last time, so I won't make any this time. Just wanted to say. I've missed you guys, to be honest. Hopefully I can get back to this eventually, but I know if I try it right now it will just be a mess.

Anywho, how have y'all been?

I'm good, you?

• 2 weeks later...

So I didn't know this was a thing, but now that I do, I think I'll jump in. Which is to say, hi everyone! Here's a character I made, and I'm planning another one but need a bit of clarification first.

Spoiler

Epic Name: Catalyst

Backstory: A basically normal guy, who had an essentially dead-end job at a generic office building where he worked for someone who paid him, but never really had an efect on the world. He has tried to erase his past not because he's scared of people figuring out his weakness, but because he's simply embarassed about his past and sees it as utterly pointless.

Epic Ability: He has the ability to manipulate chemical reactions. This can mean causing 2 chemicals to react, or halting their reaction; and speeding up or slowing down any reaction. Though this sounds kinda niche, the thing is that our bodies are full of chemical reactions, as is the whole world, so as long as he can figure out how to direct his power, he can make all sorts of stuff happen. Like halting the reactions that provide energy for your brain and killing you. Yaaaaaaaaay

Weakness: Well if I told you, that'd take away all the fun, right? (read: haven't quite figured it out)

Also a clarification question: I have an idea for another character, but I'm not sure if the rules of this RPG allow it. Do the rules against stupidly OP characters prohibit only Epic abilities that aren't counteracted by weaknesses? Because the guy I have in mind is really only tempered by character.

2 hours ago, MGershone said:

So I didn't know this was a thing, but now that I do, I think I'll jump in. Which is to say, hi everyone! Here's a character I made, and I'm planning another one but need a bit of clarification first.

Hide contents

Epic Name: Catalyst

Backstory: A basically normal guy, who had an essentially dead-end job at a generic office building where he worked for someone who paid him, but never really had an efect on the world. He has tried to erase his past not because he's scared of people figuring out his weakness, but because he's simply embarassed about his past and sees it as utterly pointless.

Epic Ability: He has the ability to manipulate chemical reactions. This can mean causing 2 chemicals to react, or halting their reaction; and speeding up or slowing down any reaction. Though this sounds kinda niche, the thing is that our bodies are full of chemical reactions, as is the whole world, so as long as he can figure out how to direct his power, he can make all sorts of stuff happen. Like halting the reactions that provide energy for your brain and killing you. Yaaaaaaaaay

Weakness: Well if I told you, that'd take away all the fun, right? (read: haven't quite figured it out)

Also a clarification question: I have an idea for another character, but I'm not sure if the rules of this RPG allow it. Do the rules against stupidly OP characters prohibit only Epic abilities that aren't counteracted by weaknesses? Because the guy I have in mind is really only tempered by character.

Oookay, he's pretty OP. But no prime invincibility so it balances out!

As far as the question goes, I think it depends on the situation. Like you could have a reality-altering Epic (like Cy, one of Exotwo's Epic who then got yeeted) and that'd probably be vetoed. I don't know who's still active/around for this RPG, but usually we'd vote for if an Epic was okay or not.

Also, did you notice there's now both a Catalyst and a Cataclysm? :) 

14 hours ago, Not an Ookla said:

Oookay, he's pretty OP. But no prime invincibility so it balances out!

As far as the question goes, I think it depends on the situation. Like you could have a reality-altering Epic (like Cy, one of Exotwo's Epic who then got yeeted) and that'd probably be vetoed. I don't know who's still active/around for this RPG, but usually we'd vote for if an Epic was okay or not.

Also, did you notice there's now both a Catalyst and a Cataclysm? :) 

One clarification on Catalyst: The range of his ability is basically touch. He's still able to do cool stuff with what's immediately around him, but I'm imagining him killing people by basically grabbing their foreheads, and then they slump to the ground in a heap.

In that case, here's my other character, who has an OP ability but is limited by his character traits:

Spoiler

Epic Name: Codex

Backstory: He was a librarian, and something of a stalker. He likes to know things about all the people he knows. Kind of a creep, really; he likes to stay underground and remain unnoticed (metaphorically underground). However, he was good at projecting a facade of charm and friendliness. He really hates sharing information, being convinced that knowledge is power, and he's determined to hoard his power. After Calamity, he's begun hiding and protecting his trove of books, as well as any other info he has. He also doesn't serve any other Epic; in fact he hides his Epic ability from everyone.

Epic Ability: He innately knows the weakness of any Epic he meets.

Epic Weakness: If someone figures out he's an Epic, he forgets all the Epic weaknesses in his brain immediately.

Also also, is there a character index I can read through? I want to learn more about the people.

4 hours ago, MGershone said:

One clarification on Catalyst: The range of his ability is basically touch. He's still able to do cool stuff with what's immediately around him, but I'm imagining him killing people by basically grabbing their foreheads, and then they slump to the ground in a heap.

In that case, here's my other character, who has an OP ability but is limited by his character traits:

Hide contents

Epic Name: Codex

Backstory: He was a librarian, and something of a stalker. He likes to know things about all the people he knows. Kind of a creep, really; he likes to stay underground and remain unnoticed (metaphorically underground). However, he was good at projecting a facade of charm and friendliness. He really hates sharing information, being convinced that knowledge is power, and he's determined to hoard his power. After Calamity, he's begun hiding and protecting his trove of books, as well as any other info he has. He also doesn't serve any other Epic; in fact he hides his Epic ability from everyone.

Epic Ability: He innately knows the weakness of any Epic he meets.

Epic Weakness: If someone figures out he's an Epic, he forgets all the Epic weaknesses in his brain immediately.

Also also, is there a character index I can read through? I want to learn more about the people.

This is where all the accepted characters are posted. I think most of the active ones are on the second page.

Catalyst looks good! I don't know how many people are around so I don't know if you'll need another person to look them over.

As far as the other Epic goes... I'm not sure if it would work? Or even if it's allowed, heh. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been monitoring things here on and off for a bit (no time to contribute unfortunately) - is the consensus that the Reckoners RP has run its course?  I think most if not all of the original members have moved on, as well as most of the people behind the first reboot attempt.  

If anyone has a strong desire to keep things open a while and see what happens I'm definitely fine with that, but otherwise I might move it to inactive.  Feel free to sound off with what everyone thinks.

On 11/24/2021 at 2:22 PM, AonEne said:

As do I, though I'm curious what happened to the Discord server? 

I think it got deleted. Since the RP became inactive for some time and then the server's owner& left the RP.

Edited by Not an Ookla

• 2 weeks later...