Starsight Chapter 4 Discussion thread

Chaos

Can I say, holy crap, that last line? Is that really Spensa? Is it a projection because she's cytonic? Can the Eyes see forward and backward in time, and used her image because they know she'll be the enemy?

Is Cobb not reacting at all because he's Cobb or because only a cytonic can see the extra stuff?

3 hours ago, RShara said:

Is Cobb not reacting at all because he's Cobb or because only a cytonic can see the extra stuff?

Some of this is sort of answered in the amazon preview.  For everything else I have to wait up to 30 hours for me copy to arrive.

I also have a lot of thoughts!

The obvious question is `what is a delver and why are they so destructive?'  Also, is there one delver or several?  The text seems to indicate that these humans were hiding from a specific delver.

I think we can guess that the delver was what scoured all life off of the planet, and left it totally barren.  I assume the rats arrived, as they are wont to do, with the most recent ship.

I seem to recall a guess that humans are special because they have a very low density of cytonics, unlike the other species which are entirely cytonics.  Do they not see the delver?  Do they not care?  Does this one have a grudge on humans in particular?  Are they trying to kill Spensa because she might attract a delver?  Is this the reason the war was fought?  Maybe the delver is a weapon/consequence of that war?

As for the last line, I agree that there is something special about cytonics and technology.  When Spensa and M-Bot are reliving the Battle of Alta, she reaches out with her powers and starts to hear the stars.  However, when M-Bot turns off the simulation, they vanish immediately instead of going away.

Defending Elysium/Starsight spoilers:

Spoiler

We already knew from DE that there's cool interactions between cytonic powers and communication technology, beyond just simple send/receive between two cytonics.  I think it's totally reasonable that Spensa sees something different because of her cytonic powers.

A good question would be to ask if it looks the same for Spensa/M-Bot teleporting as the woman getting sucked into the blackness.

What is a nowalk?  Is it somehow related to the extensive life support and technology underground in Detritus?

An interesting thing about FTL is that once you leave the forward lightcone, there is a change of reference frame that makes it so you travel backwards in time.  Now, this is a weird quirk of our spacetime and likely has nothing to do with Skyward's universe.  But I would not put it past Brandon to have stumbled on this and finally decide to incorporate time travel into one of his stories.