Raoden, Sarene or Hrathen?

Honorless

Raoden, Sarene or Hrathen?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. I got curious, who is your favourite of the big three Elantris characters?

Some found Raoden's quest for the truth about Elantris more interesting, some found Sarene navigating the politics of Arelon more interesting, some found Hrathen's character conflict interesting. Some found Raoden too perfect or found Sarene annoying and at one point petty, others found Hrathen's religious extremism discomforting (still better than Ais!)

I'm really curious about the results

Edited by Honorless

I am team Elantris.. I liked his whole let us improve conditions on actual hell and make it habitable place.. second come Hrathen for me especially near the end.. but serene I found some bits interesting and some boring like the long chapter on fencing and long descriptions of balls she attended

• 2 weeks later...

Raoden is probably one of my least favorite Cosmere characters. His story is a series of events that happen too him, but he doesn't have to actually change at all because of those events. The man he is at the beginning and end of the book are the same. His powers change, his looks, and his social situation. But as a person, he doesn't. 

Sarene is very similar. Not quite to the same extent, she has a bit more of a journey of self acceptance with her whole "no one will ever want me" thing, but... Frankly I think that is a bit of a cliche internal struggle anyway. Still better than none. 

Hrathen on the other hand has to struggle with both the reality of if he even has faith in the first place, and then face what the people running his religion have done, and decides that while he still believes in his God, he no longer believes in the people running things. He has a real and difficult internal struggle. He's one of my favorite characters in the entirety of the Cosmere, and beyond the magics, he's the only character worth reading the book for. 

Edited by Calderis

Just finished Elantris recently, I don't care much if Raoden was still mostly the same, I like him a lot the way he is. Next I have to say is of course Hrathen though I did find his evilness and ignorance mildly annoying. Stuff like calling Raoden "obviously an imposter, etc." But I like him. And then I don't like Sarene much.

Just now, Honorless said:

Saw what you did there, @erude1, so no clear favourites?

:P

It's quite difficult for me to choose because I have a pretty fond spot for Elantris being my first Sanderson novel. I think that although they may not be his most nuanced characters, there's something in each of the three that I could either find relateable, interesting, or inspiring. Paired with the interactions between the three, I think I can't really pick just one!