There is something more to Taln missing Honorblade

SzethIsBadAsHell

I believe a clandestine organization is behind the disappearance of all the shards missing on Roshar . But Taln’s blade I think it was the of a known group .

So at the End of Way of Kings Taln shows up with a  Sharblade . Since it was being worn and not dismissed I assumed it was a regular shardblade . The thought was Taln came back after 4K years couldn’t find his shardblade , went to the cache that’s brought up by Amaram in WoR and shows up in Alethkar .

Then a WoB comes out and Brandon says that Taln blade was swapped out somewhere between the shattered plains and Alethkar . So Hoid is on the trip so of course he becomes the prime suspect . I assumed Hoid knows Taln from way back when and trying to do him a solid and help keep Taln cover by hiding his shardblade . So groups like the ghostbloods won’t hear and try and steal it ....

We know the sons of Honor didn’t do it cause Amaram and the ardents were trying to get the Herald to tell them where the cache was assuming it was the cache or Honorblades . The ghost bloods were trying to kill them so I doubt it was them .

So that leaves just two on screen groups that could of done it . The group I believe that has hidden the majority of the shards on Roshar ( The aimians) and the group I believe is behind the theft The Shin

What made me decide on the Shin was that I don’t think the Aimians would left a shardblade in place of The Honorblade . 

The Shin Shamanate have someway of tracking the Honorblades . Szeth said upon his death they would come to claim it   The Shin would not have a problem with Leaving a blade in place as a sign of respect . The Shin could transport thier and back thru shadesmar using the Lightweaver or Elsecaller blades . They could also disguise themselves using The lightweaver blade. ( Perhaps this is why Taln freaked out when shallan tried to Lightweave while he was in the cell ) he thought whoever took his blade was back .  When he realized it was just Radiant he calmed down! 

If it is them for the first time they have the Stoneward Honor blade to study and train with . I don’t know if I’m right , but if I am . I’m greatly interested on how the Stone Shamans locate honor blades. .

Spoiler

Originally the Heralds were supposed to be able to sense the Honorblades. Taln thought that they were sensing each other and so was confused at finding the blades rather than the other Heralds

Seems like Szeth (& Nightblood) have some cleaning to do (or rather he now has one more reason to cleanse the Shin of their false leaders)

10 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

So at the End of Way of Kings Taln shows up with a  Sharblade . Since it was being worn and not dismissed I assumed it was a regular shardblade . The thought was Taln came back after 4K years couldn’t find his shardblade , went to the cache that’s brought up by Amaram in WoR and shows up in Alethkar .

Amaram is referencing the honorblades.  Stories of them exist in vorin mythology(this is how Kaladin knows about them) and Shallan mentions that people have searched for them(the way she uses the statement makes me thing that the honorblade catch is kind of like the holly grail).  They are not a collection of ordinary blades.

Then a WoB comes out and Brandon says that Taln blade was swapped out somewhere between the shattered plains and Alethkar . So Hoid is on the trip so of course he becomes the prime suspect

Correct.  However

I assumed Hoid knows Taln from way back when and trying to do him a solid and help keep Taln cover by hiding his shardblade . So groups like the ghostbloods won’t hear and try and steal it ....

Hoid does not have the honorblade.

White Sand vol.1 release party (June 28, 2016)
#23 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Which means somebody else has the sword, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

The sword was switched out!

Questioner

Probably by Wit. I'm not going to ask you for spoilers, but...

Brandon Sanderson

Wit does not have the sword.

Questioner

No!?

Brandon Sanderson

But... I can't-- I dunno if I've told people whether or not he at one point had the sword... But he does not have the sword now.

The Shin Shamanate have someway of tracking the Honorblades . Szeth said upon his death they would come to claim it   The Shin would not have a problem with Leaving a blade in place as a sign of respect . The Shin could transport thier and back thru shadesmar using the Lightweaver or Elsecaller blades . They could also disguise themselves using The lightweaver blade. ( Perhaps this is why Taln freaked out when shallan tried to Lightweave while he was in the cell ) he thought whoever took his blade was back .  When he realized it was just Radiant he calmed down! 

If it is them for the first time they have the Stoneward Honor blade to study and train with . I don’t know if I’m right , but if I am . I’m greatly interested on how the Stone Shamans locate honor blades. .

This is possible.  However they would have to find a way to get the blade without Hoid noticing or deciding to intervene.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

But... I can't-- I dunno if I've told people whether or not he at one point had the sword... But he does not have the sword now.

So if I’m reading this correctly he is saying  that Hoid stole it and doesn’t have it anymore . Or that Hoid At least had the sword in his hands at one time , examining it I guess and no longer has it . Which do you interpret it as

21 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

So if I’m reading this correctly he is saying  that Hoid stole it and doesn’t have it anymore . Or that Hoid At least had the sword in his hands at one time , examining it I guess and no longer has it . Which do you interpret it as

Questioner (paraphrased)

The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance, was that the Honorblade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance that he gave up?

Questioner (paraphrased)

Yeah, that he gave up.

No, it was not.

Questioner (paraphrased)

It was not? So what happened to the Honorblade that the Herald had?

Nobody kno - Well, somebody knows, but it is not known to the main characters.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Can I ask if Hoid-

If Hoid knows?

Questioner (paraphrased)

Yeah.

Hoid did not take it, but I’m not answering whether he knows.

Footnote: This was transcribed from a recording, so it should be close to verbatim. However, the audio file has been taken down, so it cannot be verified exactly.
Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

27 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Rshara got it right.  Hoid did not take it.  I highly doubt he does not know who did take it.  I don't know why he allowed it to be taken.  Perhaps he is sending a message to the Shin?  He wants them to know that Szeth was right and a desolation is coming? 

• Chaos locked this topic