Quick Fix Game 41: The Lord Mistborn's School for Gifted Allomancers

Young Bard

8 hours ago, DeTess said:

Edit: oh, and a question for @Young Bard, If this game where to, for example, not have any determined thugs at all, would we automatically win, or would we be expected to figure that out for ourselves?

Yes! Snipexe Young Bard!

6 hours ago, Young Bard said:

The Determined Thugs are a confirmed alignment - there is at least one living Thug in the game.

Aww Young Bard. One Living Thug

I've rewritten RP here seven times before just deciding this character is not worth saving.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

The lack of correlation means a role claim doesn't provide any usable information. Without the possibility of determining what roles the elims are likely to have and not being able to coordinate or confirm privately, there's not a lot we can do in response to a role claim until the claimer dies.

I disagree slightly. I agree early role claiming is a poor choice overall, but that also means information will be slow coming. That gives the thugs an early game advantage in that they will know some of the roles and what they can do, and we won't. While the roles we claim can't give us an idea of who is or isn't a thug, it can give us an idea of what we might be up against. The downside is the thugs have already destroyed the records and would almost certainly lie about what their abilities do nullifying the strategy. The lack of private conversations further hinders this. I think role claiming may be a valid strategy in a cycle or two so we have an idea of what we're up against / what possible assets we have against them.

Mundric stepped up to Elias, greeting him with a friendly voice. "Come now, cheer up. We are among potential friends here. Potentially. Maybe they all want to murder us. But don't let that get you down!" Mundric remembered himself. "Oh, quite sorry. I haven't introduced myself. I am Mundric, purveyor of hats, hat accessories, and guides to style in the department of hats! Care for some headwear to warm up that gloomy countenance?" He flourished a dark red beret, festooned with lime green tassels, waiting for a reply.

Elias listened warily. Who was this who dared approach an Innate. Inviting him to cheer up? what mockery!

Elias was about to send away this stranger when Mundric introduced himself and presented the most glorious hat Elias had ever seen. It was a deep red that contrasted beautifully with the tassels: a green that reminded him of what his mother wore before she was sent away.

"Splendid! Superb! How did you ever come across such a hat?"

9 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Darkness has a character and he and  Sart already have a vote sooo Snipexe

Oof, the poke vote without an actual tag.

So anyway, here’s some baseless role spec: It’s early Era 2, so the likelihood of having metals like Cadmium and Bendalloy is unknown. The fact that there are multiple variants of every role means that there is at least 16 roles (original 8 x2), and it most 32? 48 (all 16 x3)seems like a lot for a QF, especially one where people can only have one of a role (unless we have a mistborn). These are of course the only possible options for the roles. If we assume the elims don’t have powers, and than there will be little overlap, and therefore little will be known about the roles.

"Hats are my trade. That one in particular was one of my personal creations. I traded for the materials with waxen sombreros, and put it together a few weeks ago. I sadly didn't bring most of my stock, but I do have a few with me." Mundric paused. "Go ahead and take the hat. A gift from me to you. I should bring the rest of my wares in. It looks like rain."

Mundric jaunted over to the door and struggled to haul his heavy case of hats through. Once the task was complete, he began to lay out a small stand in an alcove of the hall, positioning his array of hats alongside price tags and his signature logo - a stylized picture of his triple-tier top hat. Once that was done, he set out a chair and sighed contentedly. Even here, he was at home.

I like the idea of variants of allomantic roles.

I have an Allomantic role myself, although I wasn't informed of any variant or type other than the metal and what it does.

At first glance, it may seem like a majority vote in the early cycles would benefit the elims, since they could choose a villager and bandwagon. However, if they do bandwagon, the village would have a quick source from which to draw suspicion.

The knowledge of roles and types that would be revealed would benefit both factions, I think.

In conclusion, I wouldn't be against a majority lynch, although if we end up doing so, I would suggest waiting a cycle or 2 to get at least a little information out there (through lynches, potential scan roles, discussion, whatever may happen).

Mundric sat, cheerfully offering hats to the people milling about the hall. He amused himself by humming the school anthem they had been asked to rise for earlier. It had a simple tune and truly poetic lyrics. He hummed along to the first two stanzas:

This school is a school

Where we learn our ways

Allomancies for days

It does not have a pool

This place is a place

Where we know our things

Though Education stings

Don't hit us with a mace

--

I suppose I'm personally in favor of a majority lynch just to understand the roles further. I also have a role with an Allomantic ability, but there was no information given on the Type or what a Type implied, so that might be helpful to know.

*Sigh.* I'd written a full post, went back to check some details, and discovered the Shard had only decided to save a single paragraph. I'm going to scramble to retype it all in my remaining time, so please forgive any mistakes.

---------------

I don't have a lot of time in the middle of the day, and I just spent most of it catching up. (Plus typing and retyping this. <_<)

I also broke my laptop recently, so posts from me are going to be a little more sparse than usual, and might not get to RP at all (I'll try to at least create a character this evening, though).

Anyway, it's always good to get a vote on record, so I'm going to go with Striker for the way he "innocently" floated the idea of a C1 roleclaim. I am not at all happy with his "I wonder if anyone will do it? It could be good, could be bad; who knows!", followed shortly by "No, you guys, I wasn't advocating it -- I was just curious!". @StrikerEZ, I can't imagine that your first post was not trying to encourage a roleclaim. If you sincerely agree that it's a Village-negative play, that was a very bad idea.

On the subject of roleclaims, I agree that they should be withheld this cycle, until information gatherers have a chance to do their thing. Right now, it does nothing but draw targets. I'm not certain how I feel about roleclaiming C2 or C3, though. As has been pointed out, we're at a pretty sever information disadvantage right now, and we need to mitigate that as soon as we can. If any role is capable of starting a PM or other private communication, then I think their contacts should let us know by C3.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to have latched onto the idea that "Type" means different powers for the same metal. I can think of at least three things it could mean, and "different powers" is the least likely of them. The rules say none of us know our own Type, and I was told my power; I assume the same is true for everyone else. I, for one, am really eager for an early majority just to pin down exactly what a "Type" is.

• Alvron locked and unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I'm not sure why everyone seems to have latched onto the idea that "Type" means different powers for the same metal. I can think of at least three things it could mean, and "different powers" is the least likely of them. The rules say none of us know our own Type, and I was told my power; I assume the same is true for everyone else. I, for one, am really eager for an early majority just to pin down exactly what a "Type" is.

The rules say this:

Each Role in the game has multiple Types. Players with a Role are only informed of their Role, not their Type.

Given that the roles are most likely allomantic powers, and since people do get told their power, the logical conclusions seems to be that 'type' refers to different variants of that power. For example: Steel type 1 is a redirect power, while steel type 2 is a night kill. 

Anyway, one other thing I'm curious about, and that is the information disadvantage several players have mentioned. There might be such a disadvantage, but it there is, it won't be with the roles everyone has, and it will have to do with factions beyond what has been revealed so far. I don't see how the village is disadvanatged by not really knowing its own roles. Without PM's coordination will be impossible anyway, so the only ones really disadvantaged by being unaware of the villages abilities are the elims, as they won't be able to plan around that. The village, on the other hand, will do what the village always does. People will discuss in the thread, and individual owners of power roles will use them as they think is best. This is no different from a non-blackout game where the exact role-distribution is unknown.

Edited by DeTess

20 hours ago, Lumgol said:

ok sooooo... hi. Checking in! sneak sneak sneak sneak snek I mean what? :ph34r: 

DA is being DA right now. Looks like trolling. Sart is C1 voting, which is also mostly trolling (I assume) and I'm counting it as a harmless C1 vote.

19 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

How dare you accuse DA of being too sneaky. Sneaking is an important part of this game. Shame on you. Sart. :P

Chunga chunga chunga chunga

Not much to say I'll say more next cycle

15 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:
17 hours ago, Elandera said:

I am always hesitant about roleclaiming, and this is no different. Elims have some slight advantage, in that they're able to communicate and get an idea of abilities that are out there. However, basing guesses off the RP (people who shouldn't be admitted to an allomantic school), it's possible elims only have one ability: Thug. Or they have pewter feruchemy to imitate thugs. I think it would be much better to avoid roleclaiming at the moment, in order to preserve some secrets the elims wouldn't know.

I wasn’t really advocating for a role claim this early. Just speculating about whether someone would be likely to. And what we would gain and lose by someone doing so. For what it’s worth, I slightly agree that role claims are generally a bad idea. Of course, I do have a bad habit of panicking and role claiming in the later stages of the game if I feel like I’m about to get lynched, so maybe I’m not the best authority to talk to about the strategy behind role claims. :P

I think I'll throw in a vote on Striker, mostly for this statement. I don't think that Elandera was countering Striker's claim, merely stating her own viewpoint. Striker's response sounds unnecessarily defensive for C1. I can see it as a clarification of his earlier statement, but something in the tone sounds kind of like he's trying to please people and explain himself.

This is still a C1 vote, so it is prone to changing. This is just one of the few leads I have so far, plus, Striker already has one vote on him (from Wonko, iirc). Let's just hope that we won't accidentally get rid of a powerful village role.

Hello all, I’m here. I’ll have a quick read through before deciding all things. Thanks for the poke vote :)

*edit* Darkness Ascendant I'll vote for you, so there is a three way tie for the votes ;)

Edited by Lemonelon
so I don't double post

Elias looked at the hat in his hands. Such skill. Such kindness. He put it on and rushed to the restroom to get a look. What style! What panache! Elias wandered back into the room to see the man... er Mundric he'd said his name was... set up with a case of hats. He wasn't kidding about his passion. The only question was why here. Even a powerful misting couldn't contribute more than someone who has found their purpose. Elias approached Mundric.

"Thank you for the hat. You do such beautiful work! Why did you come to the academy?"

----------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Oof, the poke vote without an actual tag.

Oops Sorry. I will do better.

With not a lot of time left I figure a vote count will be helpful

Wonko: DeTess

Abstrusity: Straw

Lemonelon: StrikerEZ, Abstrusity

StrikerEZ: Wonko, Lumgol

Coda: Elkanah

@Coda Do you have any thoughts? I'd vote to break the tie, but I don't think we know yet whether ties kill both, neither or randomly. That seems like relevant information, so I'll poke Coda

7 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Yes! Snipexe Young Bard!

Aww Young Bard. One Living Thug

I've rewritten RP here seven times before just deciding this character is not worth saving.

I disagree slightly. I agree early role claiming is a poor choice overall, but that also means information will be slow coming. That gives the thugs an early game advantage in that they will know some of the roles and what they can do, and we won't. While the roles we claim can't give us an idea of who is or isn't a thug, it can give us an idea of what we might be up against. The downside is the thugs have already destroyed the records and would almost certainly lie about what their abilities do nullifying the strategy. The lack of private conversations further hinders this. I think role claiming may be a valid strategy in a cycle or two so we have an idea of what we're up against / what possible assets we have against them.

@Elkanah Welcome back to SE! One of the changes that was perhaps made in the time you were away is that blue text is now reserved for OOG information which you cannot lie about most likely bearing on activity, such as “I was experiencing connection issues again last night and couldn’t get back on to finish the LG aftermath writeup” (which, incidentally, I’m not lying about, and isn’t just an example), instead of being for Out of Character talk. All gametext now, whether RP or not, is black (though if you want to differentiate using something like purple, that works too). 

For everyone else: I’m the IM for this game. :P 

Edited by Fifth Scholar

Just now, Fifth Scholar said:

@Elkanah Welcome back to SE! One of the changes that was perhaps made in the time you were away is that blue text is now reserved for OOG information most likely bearing on activity, such as “I was experiencing connection issues again last night and couldn’t get back on to finish the LG aftermath writeup” (which, incidentally, I’m not lying about, and isn’t just an example), instead of being for Out of Character talk. All gametext now, whether RP or not, is black (though if you want to differentiate using something like purple, that works too). 

For everyone else: I’m the IM for this game. :P 

Cool. Sorry about that.

I get on and two people are voting for me, tying me up. I must therefore vote as one person dying is better than three people dying unless people retract their poke votes. Lemonelon since you voted for me. I don't have time for any analysis since I have to leave for something in 5 minutes.

Yikes, these votes are going all over the place. I think there's a train emerging on StrikerEZ, but I'm not sure if I should jump on it. Eh, I guess I will, in case the Elims have vote manipulation. StrikerEZ, nothing personal, but you're the best lynch candidate currently.

That is a quick bandwagon... I find Striker somewhat suspicious as stated before, and this might be an innocent attempt to make sure someone is lynched, but the bandwagoning (mainly by @Sart) looks a bit suspicious. Especially since Sart stated that the elims might vote manip against a C1 lynch. If people vote manip, I'm pretty sure people will notice and that'll make Striker look very suspicious anyways. I'll keep my vote on Striker, but Sart (and maybe @Straw, although his reason to vote doesn't look as suspicious to me), I have my eyes on you, especially if Striker flips village.

(Edit: I seem to be vastly overusing the word "suspicious", sorry for the redundance XD)

Edited by Lumgol
spelling mistake, apology for redundant language