Quick Fix Game 41: The Lord Mistborn's School for Gifted Allomancers

Young Bard

Variel had spent his whole life on the streets of Elendel. He knew them like the back of his hands. The only reason he had enough boxings to afford going to this school was because he’d once helped a generous wealthy man avoid getting run over by a carriage. The man didn’t need to know that some of Variel’s friends had set up the accident beforehand....

As he read the letter saying that his, and all the other potential students’, records had been lost, he began to see red. He was not gonna lose all that he had worked for.

Edited by StrikerEZ

El started snooping around. The sooner they all found the Thugs, the sooner they could all be safe from them, and be admitted into the school. She looked around, slowly moving from place to place, until she approached one alcove, and peeked in, trying not to be observed. Around the alcove, the walls were draped floor to ceiling with tapestries depicting the Ascendance. More importantly, however, there was a group of students clustered there, huddling together and talking urgently in a very suspicious-like manner.

This is a horrible plan, El thought, as she slowly hid behind one of the tapestries, and began to inch herself around the corner into the alcove, trying to stay hidden. She heard one of them begin to speak, and she paused, hoping no-one had noticed her.

"- act quickly. The longer we wait, the more likely they are to figure everything out."

There was a response, which El was too far away to catch.

"We do whatever we have to. If you don't have the guts for it, leave now. But if you stay, you have to be prepared to do whatever needs to be done."

El listened, trying to catch more of what they were saying. She moved forward slightly, trying to hear better.

"Wait. Who's that?"

Dammit. Secrecy lost, El dashed out from behind the curtains, and ran out into a long corridor, with doors on either side. She tried the first two doors on her left - both locked. She could hear voices coming up behind her - if they had a Coinshot among them, and she didn't get out of the corridor, she was done for. She grabbed the next door - open - and flung herself through it. She turned around, and found herself on a balcony, several floors above ground. She tried to look down at the floor below, to see if she could jump down to the balcony below. No such luck, unfortunately.

As she leaned over, someone pushed her from behind - and she was tumbling over the edge, watching the concrete rise up fast from below.

Elbereth was killed! She was a Spectator!

The game has begun! This cycle will last for 24 hours!

Everyone should have received their GM PM. If you have not, please PM me ASAP.

One quick note: I'm aware this is Ookla season. You're welcome to celebrate it, but I must insist that if you choose to give yourself an Ookla name, you put your regular name in and keep your profile picture the same. Also, for the benefit of everyone, if voting on someone with an Ookla name, please use their normal name, or have their normal name in brackets when you vote on them.

Players:

Snipexe
Coda
Lumgol
Straw
Wonko the Sane
StrikerEZ - Variel
Darkness Ascendant - Dr. Steinman
Abstrusity - Mundric
Lemonelon
Elandera - Emeril
Devotary of Spontaneity - Danjen
Sart
DeTess
Elkanah - Elias

Edited by Young Bard

ok sooooo... hi. Checking in! sneak sneak sneak sneak snek I mean what? :ph34r: 

DA is being DA right now. Looks like trolling. Sart is C1 voting, which is also mostly trolling (I assume) and I'm counting it as a harmless C1 vote.

This is a blackout game, so there's not much role analysis to do per se (at this point), although we can guess at roles. Or people can roleclaim if they see fit, but that's up to them. And probably not on C1 of all cycles.

There's likely going to be roles based on allomancy and/or feruchemy, cause it's Scadrial. Other than that I don't really know as of now.

Edited by Lumgol

1 hour ago, Sart said:

That's a lot of sneak. Too much sneak. Darkness Ascendant is being too sneaky right now. No sneak for you.

How dare you accuse DA of being too sneaky. Sneaking is an important part of this game. Shame on you. Sart. :P

@Lumgol I’m kinda curious to see if anyone claims on C1. We have basically no information, so that would actually almost help us. Of course, then the elims would have more info about who they should kill....

Elias scowled. It was bad enough that he was had to see urchins in the street as he made his way to school, but now some knave had the audacity to place himself as an equal. Lost in thought, Elias barely noticed the young woman lying in the street bleeding. It was indecent. She should have better manners and die where no one could see her. Was it really too much to ask for ingrates to keep to themselves.

As he entered the school he expected to find the sweet relief of silent academia. Instead of the respite from the world, he was greeted with a flock of concerned teachers and students rushing the other direction to check on the girl. One plowed into Elias almost knocking him from his feet. Fire lit in his eyes as he stared the offender down. They were smaller and scared, and hustled to clear out of the way. The fire cooled after a moment. The word had gone out that there were common thugs admitted to his school. Well, maybe Elias would be able to banish a few people who made the cut, but still didn't deserve to be in his presence.

Darkness has a character and he and  Sart already have a vote sooo Snipexe

Emeril was furious. He had spent hours on the documentation required to get into the Lord Mistborn's own allomantic school, and now he was being told to prove himself and hope for the best? Unbelievable.

He had half a mind to pull rank and demand admittance despite the lost records. His mother, though, would never permit such pettiness. Emeril sighed. She'd inevitably hear about it and force school administrators to deny him on principle. 

It meant he would have to play their games.

---

Hello! So many votes. Great to see a quick burst of activity. 

2 hours ago, Lumgol said:

There's likely going to be roles based on allomancy and/or feruchemy, cause it's Scadrial. Other than that I don't really know as of now.

My guess is mostly allomantic abilities, though possibly some feruchemical ones thrown in. Mostly since the premise is an allomantic school. I'd also hazard a guess that all village players have an ability, again based on the premise of the RP.

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

I’m kinda curious to see if anyone claims on C1. We have basically no information, so that would actually almost help us. Of course, then the elims would have more info about who they should kill.

I am always hesitant about roleclaiming, and this is no different. Elims have some slight advantage, in that they're able to communicate and get an idea of abilities that are out there. However, basing guesses off the RP (people who shouldn't be admitted to an allomantic school), it's possible elims only have one ability: Thug. Or they have pewter feruchemy to imitate thugs. I think it would be much better to avoid roleclaiming at the moment, in order to preserve some secrets the elims wouldn't know.

Danjen adjusted his lucky earring. He found that he could concentrate on his Soothing better while wearing it, and he would need all his power to convince the administrators to let him in. Soothing wasn't a long term solution unfortunately, so he dismissed his first plan of simply announcing that his own records had been found and then Soothing the suspicions of anyone who questioned such a lie. Danjen had gotten very good at Soothing this particular emotion after years of explaining the circumstances of his Snapping to doubting inquirers, most of whom could be persuaded to forget the incident entirely with a brief dousing of their curiosity. Having only one person admitted would raise persistent concerns that would require constant Soothing. Getting everyone admitted might work though. Perhaps the people who ran this school would decide to accept anyone with a gentle allomantic nudge, regardless of the missing records. Rumour was that a prospective student had recently died, and that her death might not have been an accident, and if so Danjen didn't want to admit anyone who might do that to others. Which brought him right back to not having a viable plan at all, since he couldn't tell who needed to be kept out and Soothing did absolutely nothing to detect the emotions of others. Anyone who made important decisions for the school was bound to be protected by a Coppercloud or an aluminium hat, so any plan wouldn't have worked anyway. Danjen sighed and headed away from the school's entrance.

24 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Hello! So many votes. Great to see a quick burst of activity. 

My guess is mostly allomantic abilities, though possibly some feruchemical ones thrown in. Mostly since the premise is an allomantic school. I'd also hazard a guess that all village players have an ability, again based on the premise of the RP.

I am always hesitant about roleclaiming, and this is no different. Elims have some slight advantage, in that they're able to communicate and get an idea of abilities that are out there. However, basing guesses off the RP (people who shouldn't be admitted to an allomantic school), it's possible elims only have one ability: Thug. Or they have pewter feruchemy to imitate thugs. I think it would be much better to avoid roleclaiming at the moment, in order to preserve some secrets the elims wouldn't know.

The main thing the initial writeup suggests multiple different types of a role, e.g two Coinshots with different abilities. There isn't a lot of room for feruchemical abilities if we have duplicates of allomantic metals, especially with the expanded era 2 metal set.

The elim team is called the Determined Thugs, which is probably not a reference to their allomantic abilities. Having no apparent correlation between role and alignment means roleclaiming isn't a great idea, especially as we don't appear to have PMs.

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

I hadn’t even thought about the possibility of feruchemy in this game. I don’t think it’s very likely, considering this is supposedly an Allomantic school, but very much a possibility since it’s Era 2.

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

I wasn’t really advocating for a role claim this early. Just speculating about whether someone would be likely to. And what we would gain and lose by someone doing so. For what it’s worth, I slightly agree that role claims are generally a bad idea. Of course, I do have a bad habit of panicking and role claiming in the later stages of the game if I feel like I’m about to get lynched, so maybe I’m not the best authority to talk to about the strategy behind role claims. :P

53 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

The elim team is called the Determined Thugs, which is probably not a reference to their allomantic abilities. Having no apparent correlation between role and alignment means roleclaiming isn't a great idea, especially as we don't appear to have PMs.

I’m not quite sure how this all connects. I can understand that there’s no apparent correlation between role and alignment. I can understand that it’s probably not the best idea to role claim. I’m just confused as to how the former means the latter is true. 

Striker, you're doing the thing that makes me want to vote on you :P  

Anyway, I don't think roleclaims are a particularly useful right now, as the rules suggest that each role has multiple variants, but you won't get told which variant you have. So if, for example, I where to claim Tineye, stating that my role allows me to get any lines in the elim doc and any PM's  containing my name that sent to me at the end of each cycle (I can overhear gossip about me), then unless another tineye has the same variant, it'd be hard to verify.

Regarding the elim team, the fluff suggests that they're not supposed to be here, which might say something about the roles they might have, but I don't think speculation here will do us much good until one or two elims have been lynched.

edit: oh, and a question for @Young Bard, If this game where to, for example, not have any determined thugs at all, would we automatically win, or would we be expected to figure that out for ourselves?

Edited by DeTess

16 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I wasn’t really advocating for a role claim this early. Just speculating about whether someone would be likely to. And what we would gain and lose by someone doing so. For what it’s worth, I slightly agree that role claims are generally a bad idea. Of course, I do have a bad habit of panicking and role claiming in the later stages of the game if I feel like I’m about to get lynched, so maybe I’m not the best authority to talk to about the strategy behind role claims. :P

I figured, but your statement gave me a good launching point for my typical "don't roleclaim early" speech. Roleclaiming later isn't always a bad idea, by the way. My biggest issue is with roleclaiming super early, especially in a blackout game. Blackouts are usually designed to maintain mystery, and if everyone spoils the secrets by roleclaiming right away, it's just not as fun (just my opinion :) ). It also helps people with inclinations like Aman to make up elaborate stories behind their abilities, which is always entertaining to watch.

12 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Striker, you're doing the thing that makes me want to vote on you :P  

Kas’s nickname for me is pretty apt, don’t you think? :P

13 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Anyway, I don't think roleclaims are a particularly useful right now, as the rules suggest that each role has multiple variants, but you won't get told which variant you have. So if, for example, I where to claim Tineye, stating that my role allows me to get any lines in the elim doc and any PM's  containing my name that sent to me at the end of each cycle (I can overhear gossip about me), then unless another tineye has the same variant, it'd be hard to verify.

That is a pretty valid point. A roleclaim this early would serve no purpose as no one knows for sure what their role does since they don’t know what type they have. It’ll take a couple cycles of experimenting for people to figure out what they can do. 

17 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Regarding the elim team, the fluff suggests that they're not supposed to be here, which might say something about the roles they might have, but I don't think speculation here will do us much good until one or two elims have been lynched.

Yeah, I try not to guess at the distribution too much anymore. It’s very possible that none of the elims are allomancers, but it could also just be that the elims don’t belong in the school because they’re not good enough, have a bad record, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Elandera said:

I figured, but your statement gave me a good launching point for my typical "don't roleclaim early" speech. Roleclaiming later isn't always a bad idea, by the way. My biggest issue is with roleclaiming super early, especially in a blackout game. Blackouts are usually designed to maintain mystery, and if everyone spoils the secrets by roleclaiming right away, it's just not as fun (just my opinion :) ). It also helps people with inclinations like Aman to make up elaborate stories behind their abilities, which is always entertaining to watch.

Yeah, I do agree on all that. Seeing stuff like Aman’s play from my game (LG56) is really fun, and it’d be a shame to prevent someone from doing that later on if they wanted to by revealing all the secrets now. :P

1 hour ago, DeTess said:

edit: oh, and a question for @Young Bard, If this game where to, for example, not have any determined thugs at all, would we automatically win, or would we be expected to figure that out for ourselves?

The Determined Thugs are a confirmed alignment - there is at least one living Thug in the game.

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Kas’s nickname for me is pretty apt, don’t you think? :P

Don't worry, I'll do my very best to resist the urge to vote on you C1 once again :ph34r:

Speaking of votes, @Straw straw, hey how are you, and is there anything you feel like sharing with the thread :P 

I don't see anyone posting suspicious stuff (other than DeTess), so I might as well start off with some speculation:

-I'm highly dubious that there are any non-allomantic roles in this game. Since each role in the game has multiple types, and I assume that all allomantic metals are included, that's a minimum of 32 roles, which already exceeds  to number of players in the game.

-I'm going to assume that there are three elims in this game. They already have a large info advantage over the village, so I don't think they'd have four.

-Ideally, we'll want to have 7+ players vote on someone so we can find out their role, alignment, and type. If we end up doing that, we'll probably want more than seven, so it can't be stopped with vote manipulation.

-DeTess is obviously an eliminator because they voted on me.

Edited by Straw

26 minutes ago, Straw said:

-Ideally, we'll want to have 7+ players vote on someone so we can find out their role, alignment, and type. If we end up doing that, we'll probably want more than seven, so it can't be stopped with vote manipulation.

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage to this? Knowing exactly what a role did is useful, but I'm not certain if its useful enough to push for a hard wagon every time, as that would make it easier for elims to hide a vote.

2 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage to this? Knowing exactly what a role did is useful, but I'm not certain if its useful enough to push for a hard wagon every time, as that would make it easier for elims to hide a vote.

That's why I put ideally. If everyone is already voting on one person, we should try to push it over seven. I suspect in most situations we'll have significantly less of a consensus though.

1 minute ago, Straw said:

That's why I put ideally. If everyone is already voting on one person, we should try to push it over seven. I suspect in most situations we'll have significantly less of a consensus though.

Ah, fair enough, I can agree with that.

Also, straw, Wonko the sane @Wonko the Sane, is there anything you would like to add to the thread on this first cycle?

2 hours ago, DeTess said:

Don't worry, I'll do my very best to resist the urge to vote on you C1 once again :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Since we’re all poke voting people apparently, Sart Lemonelon. @Lemonelon They’re the only player who hasn’t posted that hasn’t already been poked.

7 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I’m not quite sure how this all connects. I can understand that there’s no apparent correlation between role and alignment. I can understand that it’s probably not the best idea to role claim. I’m just confused as to how the former means the latter is true. 

The lack of correlation means a role claim doesn't provide any usable information. Without the possibility of determining what roles the elims are likely to have and not being able to coordinate or confirm privately, there's not a lot we can do in response to a role claim until the claimer dies.

@Abstrusity, you'll want to post in this thread.

Thanks @Devotary of Spontaneity. Unused to the format am I. Posted my initial comment in the wrong thread, so let me go ahead and redo it here.

--

Mundric shook his head. It did no good to dwell on the past. He had made his way to merchanthood through honest work, and he wasn't about to throw away the privileges that the position gave. He refused Ecra's plea, and sent him back to the streets. "I told you I'm done with that. Get out of my house. You're dead to me."

As he returned to his desk, he noticed a piece of paper sitting there. A letter. It hadn't been there a few minutes ago, when Ecra called at the door. Curious, he unfolded it. As his eyes scanned the page, a thoughtful smile spread across his face. This opportunity would be quite interesting. He didn't mind the suspicion surrounding the event - honesty had taken him this far, and there was no reason it shouldn't continue doing so.

He gathered his possessions quickly. His files he left in safekeeping, as he traveled alone to the doors of an imposing building. Showing the letter, he stepped inside to reveal a looming hall scattered with other hopefuls. He ignored the whispers and pointing at his signature triple-tiered top hat, and strode to the other side of the room. He leaned against a wall, content for now to rest and wait.

Mundric awoke with a start, feeling a jab in his side. He swiped his hand out, but the perpetrator was already running away, chuckling audibly. Mundric glared into the figure's back, but sighed. I suppose it's my fault for falling asleep. He still resented the poke, though.

As Mundric looked around, his eyes settled on a rather elderly man in clothing that could be labeled ...outlandish at best. His beard was clumsily dyed, and his hair was gnarled, twisting strands of battling grey and brown. He wore what appeared to be a vest composed of two violently contrasting vests that had been ripped in half and sewed together, one side of each. A canvas wrap covered the man's legs, decorated with images of small wild animals. Mundric snorted. Fasion these days. The man's hat was a narrow brass cone perched atop the center of his head, for giblet's sake! Not like Mundric's stylish triple-tiered top hat. That man clearly could not be trusted. Mundric stroked his hat contentedly. No matter the suffering around him, principles and a hat would see him through.

--

Now let's take a look at the situation. I am not particularly well versed in the art of this game, but my instincts suggest that there really isn't enough information to sway my vote any particular way. Perhaps the absent Lemonelon - he can be that elderly man I mentioned. I agree that revealing roles at this point serves little purpose. Things are getting interesting. 

Edited by Abstrusity