Shalash and Talenel

DracostarA

So, like most people I believe Shalash will be the Dustbringer and Taln will be the Stoneward for the Stormlight Archives.

But I was wondering, what if it were the other way round?

I don't think it would be reaching too far to imagine the two heralds reversed:

• Shalash, having met Taln, and seeing what he has put himself through, devoting herself to the ideals that he held for 4500 years, and becoming a Stoneward instead of him.
  • Taln, having spent so much time in Damnation, losing his sanity and becoming more vengeful when he gains true lucidity and leaning towards the Dustbringer ideals.

Now, I think realistically it will be the other way around, but I just wanted to float this idea, especially since Brandon is an expert in creating twists the reader do not expect.

I’m looking forward to seeing whether, or how, both of them bond with spren. The process of going through the ideals will be unlike what they’ve done before...but I doubt we can find two more broken spirit webs anywhere! Seeing the bonds progress when we already know how broken someone is a story Brandon hasn’t really told yet. 

I don’t know if I agree with your theory, but I do have doubts about the commonly accepted Dustbringer/Stoneward classification. I know that’s what’s been foreshadowed, but sans POV chapters and spren, I think anything can happen! And I’m down for all of it. Haha

edit: although I’ll be totally down for shalash already being a fully formed Dustbringer after her centuries of destruction, we just haven’t seen her spren yet. Haha

Edited by Bliev

I definitely see Ash becoming the Dustbringer and Taln as the Stoneward still. Ash has been on a destruction spree for quite some time. Taln literally held fast through such a long time alone after the heralds decided to abandon the Oathpact, I don't think it has been enough to completely break him down into a fundamentally different person. Seems to me that his Stoneward stubborness mentality and willpower will come back. 

Dustbringer and Stoneward spren seem to have taken the most offence to the betrayal of Oaths at Recreance. I think the two Heralds are going to be pivotal in bringing them back into the fold. It's especially visible with Taln, who held back the True Desolation for 4500 years by getting tortured alone, and before Aharitiem never being the one to break. If that's not "I will stand where others fall", I don't know what is. I hesitate to speculate on the Dustbringers as Brandon calls them "weird".

Edited by Honorless

• Chaos locked this topic