Do Hemalurgic Spikes get picked up in a metal detector?

Dancer

If a Kandra were to walk through a metal detector during Mistborn era 3 and 4 would their Hemalurgic Spikes get picked up or would the fact that they are Invested interfere with the detection process. This question also applies to metalminds and metals that are being burnt by an Allomancer. If they can be detected then it would be a really easy way of finding a Kandra that is hiding amongst people.  

Edited by Dancer

I think @Honorless what you are saying "They aren't Invested. They just act as the keys to Preservation's power unlocked by the Allomancer's sDNA" is true for the metal that is ingested by an allomancer but i was talking about metalminds and hemalurgic spikes.. I thought the OP was talking only about metalminds and spikes so did not specify earlier.. Only just saw that OP also talked about ingested metal.... But the metalminds and spikes are invested, so i think they would not be affected..

wob1:

Trae Cooper (paraphrased)

Why are Invested objects like metalminds and Hemalurgic spikes able to be Pushed and Pulled on, but Shardblades and Shardplate, which are also invested, are not susceptible to Pushing and Pulling?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There were a few concepts that he outlined in answering this question.

1.) The ability to Push/Pull an Invested object is predicated to the amount/power of the Investiture.

2.) Further, Invested objects also gain resistance to pulling/pushing based on proximity to soul possibly via the soul. An example given is that a Hemalurgic spike touches the blood of the person, and from there is now part of both the Spiritual Realm and the Physical Realm. This provides what Brandon termed a kind of "soul interference," based on its proximity to the soul.

This further explains why Vin required more than normal power to Push/Pull the metalminds from the Lord Ruler, because of their proximity to his soul, via the Spiritual Realm.

3.) The amount of Investiture is relatively low on Scadrial, whereas worlds like Sel and Roshar are pushing around "high power" according to Brandon. I interpreted this to mean that Hemalurgic spikes and metalminds have low amounts of Investiture compared to Shardplate and Shardblades.

Brandon said that theoretically you can Push/Pull Shardblades and Shardplates but you would need to wield an incredible amount of power. One example he gave that could so such as a thing is that if you were a Mistborn wielding the full power of the Well of Ascension, you could Push/Pull Shardblades/Plate.

wob 2:

Questioner

Has a Hemalurgic Feruchemist ever used a Hemalurgic spike to tap power into it? Have they ever done that yet?

Brandon Sanderson

So a Hemalurgic spike is already Invested, so it's going to resist sticking anything else in it, particularly a magic like that.

Questioner

So if there's a pewter spike then a Feruchemist couldn't store strength in it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. It would be difficult.

wob 3:

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Alright, thanks. Last question for me tonight - so, when a Hemalurgic spike steals something, then it's storing Investiture in it, yeah? So could you - could you do something with that Investiture? Like... say I'm on Nalthis, and just theoretically, I use a Hemalurgic spike to steal a lot of Breath - can I use that Investiture to Awaken something? Could I Awaken the spike?

That... you'd need a lot of Investiture to Awaken a spike.

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Because it's already charged up with something else?

Yeah.

wob 4:

Questioner

So, about Feruchemy. If someone takes, for example, a copper metalmind, fills it with memories, and then a tin metalmind, fills it with senses, then melts them together into a bronze metalmind, would you be able to tap anything from it, and what?

Brandon Sanderson

If you made an alloy of them, you would not get anything out of them. You would know there's Investiture in there, but you wouldn't be able to pull it out. 

Questioner

Even if it's your own?

Brandon Sanderson

Even if it's your own, yup. They would interfere with each other to the point that you wouldn't be able to get anything out. Sorry.

I think that since a metal detector works via nonmagical means then it would be able to find metal minds and Hemerlergic spikes just as easily as it can find any other hunk on metal. Becoming a Hemelergic spike does not alter the chemical or physical makeup of a piece of metal and therefor should have no effect on how it interacts with nonracial forces. Does anyone know of a Wob explaining if Hemerlergic spikes are elected by magnets? 

Ah my bad, @The traveller, the OP did mention Allomancy though, so it was on my mind a bit more than spikes or metalminds, sorry

They are still metals, Investiture not withstanding, their physical nature is not altered, metal while being burned is still metal until it is fully burned, spikes and metalminds are also metals, they do carry Investiture charge but that doesn't change their physical makeup. I don't think Copperclouds or Aluminium would help either, since mundane methods are being used which aren't dependant on Investiture.

10 minutes ago, Rask said:

I think that since a metal detector works via nonmagical means then it would be able to find metal minds and Hemerlergic spikes just as easily as it can find any other hunk on metal. Becoming a Hemelergic spike does not alter the chemical or physical makeup of a piece of metal and therefor should have no effect on how it interacts with nonracial forces. 

But I don’t think that any metal detector if invented in Mistborn era 3 or 4 is going to use non- magical means of detecting metals at all.. 

8 minutes ago, The traveller said:

But I don’t think that any metal detector if invented in Mistborn era 3 or 4 is going to use non- magical means of detecting metals at all.. 

They already have electricity.  It should not be that hard.

32 minutes ago, Karger said:

They already have electricity.  It should not be that hard.

If the metal detectors on Scadrial in era 2 and 4 are non-magical machines then I see no reason why metals in any form would not be detected.. 

Is that better for you @Karger

Edited by The traveller

We know Vin could push on her spike. That one was not fully charged, but it had enough of a charge to let Vin pierce copper clouds. I think the metal detectors will be able to detect spikes. Technically all you would need is a powerful enough magnet on the detector. Maybe when the tech is new a few will pass through. But once they realize that's happening they'll just adjust the hardware. And it might become part of your spirit web and stuff, but it would still be metal and should be detectable, like a metal plaque in the head.

The real question. Do magnets on Scardial affect the same metals they do on earth? Or, do magnets on Scardial affect allomantically reactive metals? I think Kriss would be interested in that. If she doesn't have the answer already.

37 minutes ago, danox46 said:

The real question. Do magnets on Scardial affect the same metals they do on earth? Or, do magnets on Scardial affect allomantically reactive metals? I think Kriss would be interested in that. If she doesn't have the answer already.

Im going with Yes, they have all the exact same physical, chemical, and electromagnetic properties as the metals of the Cosmere Earth-standard planet it's based on (ie Yolen), and since Yolen predated the Metallic Arts they should be based on that same template.  

Well then it would seem the days that the Kundra can go around completely undetected on Scadrial are over. Provided that the police go around scanning everyone they think is suspicious with metal detectors which, on a world like Scadrial I don't see why they wouldn't.     

2 hours ago, Dancer said:

Well then it would seem the days that the Kundra can go around completely undetected on Scadrial are over. Provided that the police go around scanning everyone they think is suspicious with metal detectors which, on a world like Scadrial I don't see why they wouldn't.     

It's also "kandra" with two a's, and lowercase, if we're going for spelling accuracy here :)