Gavilar

Passion

I just reread the gavilar assassination scene in way of kings and once again I find it very puzzling even as more pieces fall into place.

1) when gavilar hears szeth was sent by the parshendi he says it’s makes no sense. Brandon even has it in italics as he repeats it musingly while he dies after handing the black stone to szeth. What’s up with this?  I always assumed it’s a little strange his peace partners send an assassin the night they signed the treaty but is that what he means? After reading oathbringer I thought I figured it out : he doesn’t think it makes sense for the parshendi to do this just after he offered Eshonai to bring back their gods. He seems to think they should want that. I no longer this is correct either?

2) why did gavilar give szeth the stone to keep away from the parshendi he just said he works for them ? It makes no sense grrrr...

ok ok I finally get a bit of the picture. What I think is like this: gavilar who clearly knows about the parshendi  their gods and desolations clearly saw the visions from honor and clearly also recognizes that szeth is a radient(I doubt he knew it was honorblade more likely assumed he was radiant but for my point it doesn’t matter) I think that is why he thought it made no sense for him to be working for the parshendi. (he didn’t know  about cause of recreance and can’t dream of one working for the monsters of the desolations in his mind the radients natural enemies.) that’s also why he gives szeth the stone he is dying and muddled and latches on only to the fact that he is hiving it to a radient who will perhaps be willing to keep it from parshendi despite what he heard from szeth about his employers.

ok so now I’m only left to deal with the frustrating question why did gavilar have a change of heart. First he wants to bring back the parshendi gods but now  later in the day I think (or next day, I suddenly can’t remember exact timeline when he met eshonai) he wants the stone kept from them what on rasher could’ve happened ??!!!

what do u guys think?

7 minutes ago, Passion said:

he doesn’t think it makes sense for the parshendi to do this just after he offered Eshonai to bring back their gods. He seems to think they should want that.

I'm pretty sure it's this. He thinks they want their gods back.

7 minutes ago, Passion said:

2) why did gavilar give szeth the stone to keep away from the parshendi he just said he works for them ? It makes no sense grrrr...

I'm not sure he was talking about the Parshendi from that. I think he was talking about the Ghostbloods or one of the other secret Rosharan societies.

We'll presumably get more details on this when we get Gavilar's perspective on that night in one of the next two books.

@Passion, looks like you accidentally double-posted this topic, could you delete the other one?

The Sons of Honor were clearly working with limited information. I find it very likely that he simply didn't completely understand the full situation. Hence, his strange reaction to Szeth and the idea of the Parshendi sending him. If he did know about the original Voidbringers and Ashyn, why wouldn't he assume that the Parshendi would take it as a chance to "revive their gods" or have revenge against the humans?

• Chaos locked this topic