How Does One "Kill" a Herald?

Karger

17 minutes ago, Llstml said:

The most likely reason for the Radiants fearing Sja-anat is that either that they feared she might able to corrupt their spren, or she could corrupt their spren, which would A: break their bond, or B: corrupt their surges or mind, giving Odium influence over them. I know that neither of these happened to Renarin, at least so far, but if option A is correct, then because he bonded a corrupt spren, instead of having his spren corrupted, the oaths and temperament required would not have been changed. If option B is correct, then Odium simply didn't know that Renarin was bonded to a corrupt spren, and we will see him begin to manipulate him in book 4.

The Mythica said up until that point, Sja-anat could only corrupt lesser spren, not high spren. Sja-anat comments how she has never corrupted something like the oathgate spren before which do appear to be elsecaller and willshaper spren. But then again, she did corrupt Glys seemingly before her corrupting the oathgate spren. or maybe she had corrupted the oathgate spren awhile back, before she corrupted Glys, and we only saw the corrupted oathgate spren when Shallan was about to use it. My theory is that Sja-anat during the desolations could (assuming the lesser spren = shardplate theory is correct), corrupt the lesser spren that make up shardplate. After you summon your armor from the lesser spren hanging out in the area, having your armor betray you, or not form at all I could see as pretty terrifying for radiants

Edited by Pathfinder

On 12/3/2019 at 2:00 PM, Pathfinder said:

And for myself, the forces we have not seen yet from Odium is what balances that equation. So to me it is less that we should lower the power of the heralds because what we see now does would not equal that. It is more that the power level of Odium will be revealed to be equal to the level of the heralds based on the level I posit. So myself the equation balances. We just haven't seen all the variables yet that account for the balance. 

Yeah, that's fair enough.  You could easily be right.  I personally would prefer it if it's a mix of both - Heralds are strong but have weakness AND Odium's still playing it close to the chest and not exposing his true powers.  To me, the idea of perfect/infinite healing is uninteresting especially if it's a common power.   It's ok if there's one character with that ability in a story - then it's an interesting mystery to figure how or even if that character can be defeated.  That's a big part of the plot of the first Mistborn book.  If it's a standard thing that you have to overcome extreme healing every time you get in a fight, that gets boring at least to my taste.

17 hours ago, agrabes said:

Yeah, that's fair enough.  You could easily be right.  I personally would prefer it if it's a mix of both - Heralds are strong but have weakness AND Odium's still playing it close to the chest and not exposing his true powers.  To me, the idea of perfect/infinite healing is uninteresting especially if it's a common power.   It's ok if there's one character with that ability in a story - then it's an interesting mystery to figure how or even if that character can be defeated.  That's a big part of the plot of the first Mistborn book.  If it's a standard thing that you have to overcome extreme healing every time you get in a fight, that gets boring at least to my taste.

I get and respect that. I think among Odium's forces are going to be things that can get through that potential extreme healing. Whether it would negate (cut off the flow), reduce (make the healing more difficult to accomplish), or be immune to (such as how you cannot heal a wound with aluminum in it). Not saying they were using aluminum, just using its property to illustrate a point. I would elaborate further, but that would go back into rehashing my earlier statements and I am not posting with that in mind. Just that what I envision would not involve a slog fest to try and get through healing just to kill them. But I recognize and respect you think differently. To each their own. 

Edited by Pathfinder

On 11/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, Ooklidean Geometry said:

Pretty much what Invocation said. Just overwhelm their body with damage. I'm sure a thunderclast could take out a herald if they weren't careful, especially if they don't have access to a surge that increases mobility like Gravitation or Abrasion. Yes, we see Renarin recover from getting squashed, but imagine if a thunderclast crushed a person and held them like that. Considering their body can't actually return to an uncrushed state, I don't think even a herald could keep up a lost cause like that for more than a few minutes maximum.

we also haven't seen the strongest voidbringers yet so bigger thunderclasts are a total possibility.

Regarding radiants gaining increased efficiency as they progress through the oaths. Recent WoB:

Questioner

I'm sensing a subtle metaphor between all of the Radiants, where it seems like their lives have caused them to be pressurized gems and now they get the cut from their Oaths. 

Brandon Sanderson

Nice job. Yeah.

Questioner

They're holding Stormlight better when they do that, right?

Brandon Sanderson

They are indeed.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

• Chaos locked this topic