Which Honorblade does Nale have?

Frustration

So, Nale stole one of the Honorblades from Shinovar one that gave access to the surge progression, my question always was which one, Edgedancer, or Truthwatchers, And furthermore Why not his own? (Also bonus question: when writing this I wondered "how did he steal it, he follows the law and that cannot be legal in Shinovar, so how on earth did he get it?"

I could see him not grabing his because he already has access to those surges, I could see him grabbing the blade that corresponds with Edgedancers to fight Lift with her own surges on top of his. I have no Idea on truthwatchers.

Edited by Booknerd

Nale has his own Honorblade--he doesn't have the surge of Progression. Are you thinking of when Szeth was healed? Nale used a fabrial--the bright thing that he put away--to revive him.

To back this up, Szeth states that the Shin still have 7 of the 10 Honorblades. 1 with Taln, 1 "disappeared a long time ago" (Nale's) and one given to Szeth.

As for how, it's his Honorblade. The Shin might have been holding on to it, but its his. His claim would supercede theirs. I also think that the Heralds are bonded closer to their Blades than normal people would be, and that they can summon the Blades back to them at any time.

14 minutes ago, RShara said:

Nale has his own Honorblade--he doesn't have the surge of Progression. Are you thinking of when Szeth was healed? Nale used a fabrial--the bright thing that he put away--to revive him.

What about when Taravagain said that he heard one of the honorblades was stolen one that gave progression.(I know it was probably a lie but when we find out one actually was stolen I'm inclined to believe him)

4 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

What about when Taravagain said that he heard one of the honorblades was stolen one that gave progression.(I know it was probably a lie but when we find out one actually was stolen I'm inclined to believe him)

Taravangian was flat out lying. There's no possible way he would know just in time to tell Szeth that the Honorblade was stolen. Szeth states flat out that the missing one was stolen a long time ago, and that they still had 7.

Edited by RShara

There's also the fact that Nale says outright he used a Fabrial. 

“I waited until you crashed to the ground,” the man said, “until you were broken and mangled, your soul cut through, dead for certain. Then, I restored you.”
“Impossible.”
“Not if it is done before the brain dies. Like a drowned man restored to life with the proper ministrations, you could be restored with the right fabrial. If I had waited seconds longer, of course, it would have been too late.”

Another thing that makes it clear that Nale's Honorblade is his own is that when Szeth sees it, he immediately recognizes it as the ninth Blade that the Shin had once possessed before it vanished, having seen depictions of it and recognizing the design. We also have this WoB that made it crystal-clear even before Oathbringer came out:

PallonianFire (paraphrased)

Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

The asterisk in question here is presumably in reference to Nale having also bonded a highspren, so the correct answer to that question would really have been 'both' but Brandon didn't want to reveal that just yet.

• Chaos locked this topic