Tearim?

Toaster Retribution

Tearim is, for those of you who might have forgot, the captain of Gavilars Kings Guard, and, according to the Coppermind, known as one of the worlds greatest duelists. Yup, high praise there. Yet, we dont see him during Dalinars flashbacks, fighting for or against the Kholins. We don' t see or hear from him at the Plains either. So where in the storms is this guy? If he is a world famous legendary warrior, surely he should be mentioned more than once over the course of three books?

For reference, the time he is mentioned is in the WoR prologue. 

This is so weird. I started my WoR reread today, and I read that prologue today, and I had this exact same thought. Today. 

Not only is this guy never mentioned outside of that one scene, but we don't even get a physical description of him. All we know is that he's wearing Gavilar's Shardplate. That makes me wonder if Brandon kept him hidden because he's someone we'd recognize. A Herald? Vasher? Probably not, but I'm just spitballing. 

It also opens up the possibility that the person Jasnah saw wasn't Tearim at all. If Tearim is known as the guy who wears Gavilar's Shardplate, you could hide anyone in there and people would just assume it's him. Just look at the WoK prologue. Szeth initially assumes the guy he's fighting is a bodyguard, not Gavilar; if he was better acquainted with the Alethi court, he probably would have pegged him as Tearim.

I bring this up because of the context where we see this "Tearim." He's standing by while Gavilar discusses secret stuff with Amaram. Maybe he was actually part of that meeting, but he's someone who wants to keep a low profile. Maybe this is actually the infamous Restares.

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Tearim is, for those of you who might have forgot, the captain of Gavilars Kings Guard, and, according to the Coppermind, known as one of the worlds greatest duelists. Yup, high praise there. Yet, we dont see him during Dalinars flashbacks, fighting for or against the Kholins. We don' t see or hear from him at the Plains either. So where in the storms is this guy? If he is a world famous legendary warrior, surely he should be mentioned more than once over the course of three books?

For reference, the time he is mentioned is in the WoR prologue. 

Since we have literally no information to work with I am going to speculate here.  Tarim is certainly a skilled duelist but it would not surprise me if he only came to prominence after Gavilar finished his conquest.  He might have sat the conflict out or perhaps they trusted him enough to hold areas elsewhere(Dalinar can't be everywhere at once).  It would also not surprise me if he lost or resigned his job after Gavilar's assassination.  Failing your most important job is like that.

• Chaos locked this topic