Do you think the Heralds had plate

SzethIsBadAsHell

11 hours ago, Calderis said:

Jasnah is currently slotted for 10. Ash and Taln are 8 and 9 I believe... 

That said, I don't think everything is going to wait for the back half. The Heralds and the Oathpact, the creation of the blades sure. The mechanics of how the blades work? That'd already important. 

Ya you're right. Either way it'll be a long wait. There are two semi-conflicting WoB on the subject of when this information will be revealed:

ParadoxicalWims

Could the Heralds be considered the splinters or would it be the Honourblades they once held? Or perhaps are they something else entirely?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO, more because I don't want to dig into the nature of the Heralds until the second five books, and would rather not have people's eyes on them too much right now.

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 31, 2015)

versus

faragorn

You mentioned in a signing that all the heralds are insane. My question is about how they got that way.

Were they insane at the moment they gave up their swords? Was it more from being tortured?

Or, was it a direct consequence of giving up the oathpact?

A third possibility is that being alive for millenia tends to crack you up. Do they even sleep? Not sleeping would really do it.

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO, I'm afraid. We have heralds as main viewpoint characters. I'll let the narrative do the explaining on these questions.

emailanimal

Brandon, what is the rough timeline for us to learn more about the Oathpact? Is this something that will come out when the Heralds become flashback characters in the back five books, or will there be more information in the earlier books?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO, I'm afraid.

Stormlight Three Update #5 (Dec. 15, 2016)

Both are old, and both are vague.

10 hours ago, The traveller said:

It also seems very likely that only the  Herald who actually swore the oathpact and not just any hooligan who came across an honorblade will have access to the direct feed because it is the shard of honor and oaths are important

I wonder if whatever was caught in the saphire gem when Moash murdered Jezrien isn't the Heraldic essence that would allow somebody a hacked access to direct feed. IMHO, Moash was chosen by Odium/the Fused to bear the honorblade for a reason and this reason is likely that this hack would only be possible with a human. Otherwise, you'd think that they would have just given it to the most prominent Fused without Gravitation/Adhesion Surge, to make them even more powerful and versatile.

I don't think Vyre is getting a direct feed from his stolen Honorblade unless he dies first. The human body alone is a poor vessel for stormlight based investiture.  The Heralds and Fused can handle it because they're Cognitive Shadows. Singers could likely handle it better because they have a built in receptacle but I think a direct feed would eventually kill them too. Radiants aren't fully human by the time they've completed their oath cycle so they are likely to be able to accept a direct feed as well, albeit at the lowest trickle possible.  A direct feed for a human means you either drown (Amaram) or you Ascend (Vin).

• Chaos locked this topic