Koloss17

On 11/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, danox46 said:

Yeah, I agree that spikes are not all that likely. However, we know that Kelsier eventually got those powers. Maybe Hoid was involved somehow. There's a metal that makes you Mistborn, I don't think it's such a huge lead to assume there's a way to become a full ferrochemist too.

I highly doubt Hoid was involved, the two kinda hate eachother remember?

15 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

If you are referencing his rohsaren exploits he flat out says he has his own agenda.

I'm aware, but for all we know (It's just a theory) that agenda involved helping Kelsier out (Wouldn't be the first time) so they could overcome the fight with Trell. 

1 hour ago, danox46 said:

I'm aware, but for all we know (It's just a theory) that agenda involved helping Kelsier out (Wouldn't be the first time) so they could overcome the fight with Trell. 

But Kelsier being the person he is I doubt he would accept help from him. He literally is afraid/ hates hoid to a point where he is trying to get Vin not to go talk to him in the 3rd book.

Hoid has no ill will towards Kelsier, he doesn't really care but Kelsier is a proud person, Unless he was forced to I doubt he would team up with him, he would believe that he could do it better without Hoid

1 minute ago, Lightblood said:

But Kelsier being the person he is I doubt he would accept help from him. He literally is afraid/ hates hoid to a point where he is trying to get Vin not to go talk to him in the 3rd book.

Hoid has no ill will towards Kelsier, he doesn't really care but Kelsier is a proud person, Unless he was forced to I doubt he would team up with him, he would believe that he could do it better without Hoid

I didn't say Kelsier was aware of Hoid's intervention. Still, I'm not sure if we can count on pre-ascension Kelsier's grudges to assume that.

2 hours ago, danox46 said:

We don't know what Hoid's relationship with Trell is.

On 11/28/2019 at 0:24 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

We don't know what Hoid's relationship with Trell is.

We do have clues in the SA epigraphs. The letter from autonomy to Hoid suggested they we're not close. But he does invite him to visit (if he passes the "tests").  

2 hours ago, danox46 said:

We do have clues in the SA epigraphs. The letter from autonomy to Hoid suggested they we're not close. But he does invite him to visit (if he passes the "tests").  

Trell might not exactly be the same thing as Autonomy.  Her personas are very weird.

40 minutes ago, danox46 said:

Well sure, but I think Autonomy wouldn't be as open to Hoid's visit if he was hostile towards one of his Avatars. 

I don't see why you think that or rather I do but I disagree.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

1 hour ago, danox46 said:

Well sure, but I think Autonomy wouldn't be as open to Hoid's visit if he was hostile towards one of his Avatars. 

Autonomy said themself in the Letters that different Avatars would have a wildly different reaction to Hoid, and while the author of the letter is not a fan, and they'd taken steps to ensure an emerging avatar would not, there did exist some that would have been more receptive.  That indicates that the various Autonomy Avatarts not at all monolithic in that regard.  

29 minutes ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Autonomy said themself in the Letters that different Avatars would have a wildly different reaction to Hoid, and while the author of the letter is not a fan, and they'd taken steps to ensure an emerging avatar would not, there did exist some that would have been more receptive.  That indicates that the various Autonomy Avatarts not at all monolithic in that regard.  

This was my reasoning as well.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

You mean the avatars are... Autonomous?

On 11/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, danox46 said:

I didn't say Kelsier was aware of Hoid's intervention. Still, I'm not sure if we can count on pre-ascension Kelsier's grudges to assume that.

There are several WoB stating that they dislike each other - and it’s mutual. Also that Hoid is a major character in Mistborn 4, but I don’t know if that’s still valid.

@danox46 Bavadin is female. Her Avatars aren’t always though.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

emailanimal

[Brandon] must have had enough of chuckles every time someone referred to Bavadin as a "he" over the past few years.....

Brandon Sanderson

Bavadin has several male personas, and has often appeared as male for one purpose or another, so it's not that much of an issue. She has more female personas, but some of the male ones are quite popular.

This won't be relevant for a long while, but as a service to the community, let me say this: try not to get too hung up on gender, race, or even human appearance where Bavadin is concerned. There are some peoples who worship entire pantheons where every member is actually her.

General Reddit 2016 (Nov. 28, 2016)

Found this @Ookla the Prolific and @Kingsdaughter613. Apparently it's not much of an issue, though Bavadin has more female personas than male. As for Bavadin's gender...

Questioner

Would it be too much to ask for the gender of the original holder [of Autonomy]?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh yeah, the original holder, what do you mean by that?

Questioner

Of Bav--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, we’re going to leave that one for--

Doesn't sound like an answer to me. Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And while we're on the topic, are Bavadin's avatars kind of like a Legion thing? Like, some of Stephen's aspects were female, though I think the majority were male. Am I wrong to kind of see them as aspects, like Bavadin is splitting his/herself into her aspects? Or is Bavadin just making new people or something.

43 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

And while we're on the topic, are Bavadin's avatars kind of like a Legion thing? Like, some of Stephen's aspects were female, though I think the majority were male. Am I wrong to kind of see them as aspects, like Bavadin is splitting his/herself into her aspects? Or is Bavadin just making new people or something.

So far we dont really know details of how the Avatar's interact, and speculations can vary wildly depending on the person's interpretation of Autonomy.  One thing we do know is that they are cognitively separate enough for some of them to have opposite opinions of Hoid, so the implication is that hey are not a Hive-mind. 

The best theory Ive found is that the nature of Automony allows for multiple Vessels to hold separate pieces of the Shard's total Infinite Investiture.  We've been told in WOB that the actual shards are infinite but the vessels are finite and so can only ever access some limited part of the total, so the implication here is that Autonomy is able to spread the load across multiple Cognitive aspects, and so each time (an) Autonomy discovers another concentration of Autonomy on a given planet, rather than leave one Invested planet and moving to a new one, they would find a local to take up the mantle for that planet's portion.  So as the theory goes, Ruin was capable of feeling out the Spiritual Realm for places where lots of Ruin was present, so had he found Roshar he could have hypothetically gone there but would have had to Leave Scadrial and take his power with him, because the finite vessel Ati wouldnt have been capable of Cognitively encompassing that much of the ∞/16.  Meanwhile, had Autonomy made the same discovery, they could have arranged for a local to become a new Autonomy Avatar that could be called the Shard of Rosharan Automony.  At least, that's how the theory goes, but it's all speculation. 

And it raises the question of how Avatars compare in Power Level to full Shards.  It seems cheaty for the Autonomy collective to be getting full multipliers on power every time they cultivate a new Avatar, that seems like way too easy of a shortcut to passing Sazed on power levels.  The other option is that Avatars are simply weaker individually than shards, but they are more powerful in concert even if it's not a 1:1 power boost.  

On 25/11/2019 at 2:12 AM, teknopathetic said:

I can't find the quote on reddit but someone in another thread has, but Feruchemy was given to the Terris as a gift. We don't know how it was given or by who, but that is an interesting fact even if it leads to more questions than it answers. At least it scratches off the "random mutation" possibility. 

"

NutiketAiel

For Feruchemy, can you only inherit that? Or is there another way to get it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you could obviously get it through a Hemalurgic spike.

NutiketAiel

Yeah, but that’s kind of a different thing.

Brandon Sanderson

It is hereditary, but it came from somewhere. Which is a RAFO, but it’s not a big RAFO. There’s not something you missed in the books, or anything like that. It originally came from Preservation long ago. And there are other ways to get it, but you have not missed any major plot points regarding that. Good question.

Words of Radiance Philadelphia signing (March 21, 2014) "