The broken one . Alternative title : How screwed Odium really is

Friendshipspren

37 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Yes i agree..

but Adonalsium's Investiture permeated all the worlds in the cosmere. On his shattering, each such investiture automatically got connected to one or the other shards based on closeness to intent may be...

Wait is that how it was ?

I always assumed adonalsium was like a entity with a super massive level Concentration of investivure held over a very small area comparitively, ie, Yolen and perhaps a few other worlds . 

Are u sure his investiture permeated the entire Cosmere. 

If that's the case then is there a bit of all the shards everywhere. But that doesn't seem likely , i mean for example ,preservation and ruin are completely locked on Scadrial right ?

Why are the shards locally concentrated then ? Shouldn't there be like 16 sectors of the Cosmere each permeated with a shards 

And what about ambiant investiture ?

I thought it was investiture which didn't coalasce into Adonalsium and was therefore independent of him and the shards as well. 

So was it always free or was it only free post Shattering ? Maybe the shards weren't a hundred percent efficient in dividing him and a small part of it got free. 

I wonder , could there be a massive source of investiture somewhere which didn't get partitioned by the shards an is free and is as of now developing consiousness or being harnessed by some sentiant species ?

1 hour ago, PrinceGenocide said:

If that's the case then is there a bit of all the shards everywhere. But that doesn't seem likely , i mean for example ,preservation and ruin are completely locked on Scadrial right ?

Yes i think that is the case.. 

Preservation and ruin are more concentrated on Scadrial but a little bit of their investiture is everywhere.. The longer a shard invests more on a single location, the more difficult it is for them to leave the system, because their investiture permeates that system. 

1 hour ago, PrinceGenocide said:

And what about ambiant investiture ?

I thought it was investiture which didn't coalasce into Adonalsium and was therefore independent of him and the shards as well. 

So was it always free or was it only free post Shattering ? Maybe the shards weren't a hundred percent efficient in dividing him and a small part of it got free. 

I wonder , could there be a massive source of investiture somewhere which didn't get partitioned by the shards an is free and is as of now developing consiousness or being harnessed by some sentiant species ?

Loose investiture around other non-shard world does associate with one or the other shard. The only thing is most shards are letting those investitures be. In fact, that is how some think that ambition is creating her avatars. She is finding ambient investiture keyed to her and creating avatars out of them.. i think..

Edited by The traveller

@The traveller, I think you meant Scadrial not Roshar.

@PrinceGenocide Shards reside primarily in the Spiritual Realm where all of time-space is one. They are technically infinite, but their Vessels aren't. Ruin exists as entropy everywhere, including Nightblood, but Ruin himself is held by a limited mind. To a Shard, residing in a Shardworld means that the world becomes a nexus for their power. It was probably more or less the same for Adonalsium, his Investiture permeated everything, but the majority of his presence was on Yolen.

Edited by Honorless

Wow ok. I didn't know all that. That's some heavy philosophical stuff. 

But yeah now that u explained it it makes sense. 

Of course entropy exists everywhere not just on Scadrial. Yeah.

Well thanks guys. @The traveller, @Honorless

I wonder could it possible for other shards to create avatars too ?

Like I guess autonomy is granting each of her personalities one.

But maybe cultivation could like cultivate parts of her own mind into being more autonomy-like .

Maybe endowment could endow greater cognition upon parts of her psyche followed by investiture.

Now that they have seen autonomy doing it , maybe other shards will copy her or atleast try to with  varying degrees of success.

Cultivation seems too Roshar-bound to attempt it but endowment .....hmmm

And wait then what about the dead shards ? Could someone outside of Sel ascend to DnD somewhere else ? 

What about honor ?

Found this wob @PrinceGenocide

Overlord Jebus

Is all Investiture in the cosmere associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, well, okay. So this is a complicated one. *pauses* So, Investiture predates the Shattering of Adonalsium, all Investiture was from Adonalsium, all Investiture got assigned to one of the 16 Shards when Adonalsium was Shattered. Some of the Investiture was not on Yolen but location is irrelevant. So Investiture is related to Shards even on planets where none of the Shards are inhabiting. 

Overlord Jebus

Are they aware of that Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

That's part of the whole seeing into the infinite, being beyond even the power of a Shard. So, technically you could make the argument that Harmony could feel the sense of Preservation on every world in the cosmere, right? Because the building blocks of all life and creation are these things.

Overlord Jebus

So the Shard of Preservation embodies all preservation in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes but he just can't do that, right? Like, he's not infinite. The Vessels are not, even if their minds are enormously expanded by holding a Shard, they are not infinite. The Connection is all there in the Spiritual Realm

• Chaos locked this topic