Odium, Svarkiss, Shades of threnody and Fused

Aon Tia

51 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Eh. Agree to disagree. As I said, I don't believe their clash created any part of the system, only altered something preexisting. 

Yes agree to disagree. Their clash did not create any part of the system but it created conditions that caused the existence of entities like the shades on the lesser continent and Evil on the greater continent of threnody. 

12 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

@Nnatel what if there was a third shard ?

Suppose a shard wanted to grow stronger and decided to consume dead shards . It would be unsuccessful on Sel cause odium did a good job sequestering the dor.

Let's just say I don't find this likely and leave this, I feel like it's only a matter of opinion. 

10 hours ago, Calderis said:

From WoB:

Threnody has a non Shard-based...it depends on what you call magic. Do spirits coming back to life count as magic? It's science to them, but it's goofy science.

I would consider the magic system on the First of the Sun to be a non Shard-based as well. This WoB suggest a strong similarity between Threnody and Fots. 

Questioner

What differentiates a minor Shardworld like First of the Sun?

Brandon Sanderson

The amount of Investiture, and whether there is actually a Shard in presence.

Questioner

I'm assuming there is not one there?

Brandon Sanderson

There is not one there.

Questioner

So it's like a Splintered one from something else?

Brandon Sanderson

No what you'll find is that the worlds were all created with a level of-- a little bit of sort of ambient magic. What you'll find in worlds like that is things like, Shadows for Silence and things like this, the magic, it's not necessarily "people with magic" it's you can interact with nature...

Questioner

So there is inherent Investiture...

Brandon Sanderson

There is inherent investiture in every world created but you are going to see-- You aren't going to find Mistborn on a world like that but what you might find is a way there are magic aspects to the setting. Spren could exist on a world like that but they would be like the minor spren, you wouldn't find Syl, but you would find something like lifespren.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

And even if there was Investiture between the battle between Shards, I don't feel like back then Threnody would be invested enough to create a CS. I believe that only after Ambition being wounded what resulted in bigger amount of Investiture (with a chance of odious Investiture being there as well, at least that's what I want to believe in). 

9 hours ago, The traveller said:

Well we don’t know what really happened here. How did they trap him? I think they somehow got him to form some pact with them resulting with him investing in the Rosharan system.

I always felt that after being imprisoned he he decided to Invest because that was the only available option to fight them. 

8 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

I always felt that after being imprisoned he he decided to Invest because that was the only available option to fight them. 

Possible but the trapping itself required him to invest atleast a little.. Also the phrasing “where three of sixteen once ruled, now the broken one reigns” seems to imply that all three resided in the Rosharan system peacefully atleast for some time..

Also the first wob I quoted in the OP, suggests that Odium has invested on all planets he has visited, even if it was done sparingly..

11 minutes ago, Nnatel said:

I don't feel like back then Threnody would be invested enough to create a CS.

I agree.. I don’t think that the residual investiture present in threnody system was enough that CS has always existed even before the conflict.

7 hours ago, The traveller said:

I have also posted the wob regarding settling already. Settling Long term as he has on Roshar is very different from temporarily investing On Sel and threnody and then withdrawing while leaving. He never let himself permeate the entire system before as he has on Roshar.

Well, Odium (sounds better the other way)Hate is trapped on Roshar. He has time to hunker down and Shatter a (few) shard(s) there

The wobs that say the parshendi were not originally of cultivation or odium, and never of honor make me think cultivation altered them to act as an investiture sink for Odium; he shows up and parshendi "soak" up his investiture, trapping him so that he can't run away without leaving part of himself behind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, Ookla Shaka, Ookla, Ookla said:

The wobs that say the parshendi were not originally of cultivation or odium, and never of honor make me think cultivation altered them to act as an investiture sink for Odium; he shows up and parshendi "soak" up his investiture, trapping him so that he can't run away without leaving part of himself behind.

That is actually a very interesting idea. Is it possible that the whole situation with humans was allowed by H&C to escalate so that singers would go to Odium and he would be too tempted to help them and get trapped in doing so?

• Chaos locked this topic