Love to speculate about Willshapers

TheWadehart

Had a out there thought.  We have seen how shardblades can 'mist' when going through living tissue.  In essence de-cohering.  And Parshendi have smoke form.  What if Willshapers can also affect themselves, rather than just their environment?  De-cohere as they are about to be attcked? Possible?

30 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

And Parshendi have smoke form

I am 90% sure that this is a form that disguises you.

31 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

We have seen how shardblades can 'mist' when going through living tissue.

That is not really what they do.  Shardblades when summoned simply don't work in living tissue.  Otherwise you could cut it normally by going fast enough.  A shardblade only mists when being summoned or dismissed.

33 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

?  De-cohere as they are about to be attcked? Possible?

A lot of things are possible.  Good luck with your theory.

Personally, I don't think it's likely. At least, not for Surgebinding. 

Questioner

So far there hasn't been a lot of the Stonewards in the books. Are they going to come forward in the next few?

Brandon Sanderson

...Yes. One of the reasons I built the structure of The Stormlight Archive the way that I did is because I knew it would be easy to overwhelm with the number of magical abilities, and to let myself get distracted by some of them and not do them justice. So I've been very careful, perhaps more careful than I need to be, and when I show like a Fused using a power, I focus more on the ones you know about and things like this, intentionally to keep the reader's attention on what they know as I expand. 

Questioner

Can they shape stone? In one of the flashbacks they kind of melt it and it becomes sand.

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, my original pitch to myself on Stonewards, one of their main powers--I mean, everybody has two--but this power you're talking about was the ability to grab matter and just kind of-- like what if the whole world were clay to you. Not just stone, not just rock, but if you could just pick something up and stretch it, whatever it was, that was my original pitch for that order.

Questioner

So architects or combat engineers fill that order?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, stuff like that, but also, just kind of like you need to get out of a room? Well, let's mash ourselves a doorway here and step through, or just all kinds of stuff. 

Questioner 2

Can they do that to living flesh?

Brandon Sanderson

No. That's the general, the more Invested something is the more it resists, and Stoneward powers are highly resisted by things... Even a small amount of extra Investiture is gonna prevent them. Like if you stuck Stormlight in [an object], say a Windrunner did, a Stoneward wouldn't be able to change that.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

Maybe the the Voidbinding version of Cohesion will work differently enough that that's not true, or Fabrials have some niche that will let things phase. 

Don't think Cohesion is going to differ enough between Stoneward and Willshapers to make that bug of a difference though. 

Agreed with Karg and Cal. As for using Cohesion on oneself, wouldn't that just kill the Radiant? It sounds cool as a superhero power but changing the state of matter of one's body to gaseous sounds like a bad idea without a lot more being included in the surge, definitely a possibility but probably not in this magic system.

As for smokeform

Smokeform for hiding and slipping between men.
A form of power, like human Surges.
Bring it 'round again.
Though crafted of gods,
It was by Unmade hand.
Leaves its force to be but one of foe or friend. 

Smokeform for hiding and slipping 'tween men.
A form of power—like Surges of spren
Do we dare to wear this form again? It spies.
Crafted of gods, this form we fear.
By Unmade touch its curse to bear,
Formed from shadow—and death is near. It lies. 

it seems smokeform might be made of a smoke-like substance from one of the Unmade

Edited by Honorless

10 hours ago, Honorless said:

Agreed with Karg and Cal. As for using Cohesion on oneself, wouldn't that just kill the Radiant? It sounds cool as a superhero power but changing the state of matter of one's body to gaseous sounds like a bad idea without a lot more being included in the surge, definitely a possibility but probably not in this magic system.

As for smokeform

it seems smokeform might be made of a smoke-like substance from one of the Unmade: Re-Shephir perhaps? Or Chemoarish the Dust Mother?

Sounds like Smokeform might be the Edgedancer form taken by the Parshendi Lift chases at Thaylen Field.

• Chaos locked this topic