Mid-Range Game 1: The Stormfather and The Nightwatcher

Rubix

As requested (for all clarifications to take place in the thread itself), Rubix: might I clarify what the win conditions are? Also, are we allowed to PM other members, or is communication strictly through the docs?

And last, silly question: is mountain time MDT or MST? I can figure the rest from there ;) My bad, sorry!

Edit: Coding error.

Edited by Kasimir

As requested (for all clarifications to take place in the thread itself), Rubix: might I clarify what the win conditions are? Also, are we allowed to PM other members, or is communication strictly through the docs?

And last, silly question: is mountain time MDT or MST? I can figure the rest from there ;) My bad, sorry!

Edit: Coding error.

Win condition is annihilation of the other teams. As for conversations, please keep to the docs.

I'm fairly sure it's MDT. It's 12:56 PM for me here, at the moment.

Rubix,

Any chance we can get a player listing? At least at the beginning of the main post, also possibly each day post (I know that's a lot harder to do).

Also, if we have questions that are more Role-specific, can we ask those via PM, and have you post the question/answer in thread? A lot of questions might be more specific on how a role works and might reveal what role you are.

You claim 12:56 PM but your time stamp clearly states 12:57 PM. Already starting out the game with inconsistencies. 

That's how I roll.

Will alignment and role be revealed in the writeups?

Also for the sake of same info for everyone:

Is all roles included in the game?

Alignment and role will not be revealed in the writeups. Dead men tell no tales, and all that. And yes, all the roles are included in this game, as we got enough players to include all of them.

Rubix,

Any chance we can get a player listing? At least at the beginning of the main post, also possibly each day post (I know that's a lot harder to do).

Also, if we have questions that are more Role-specific, can we ask those via PM, and have you post the question/answer in thread? A lot of questions might be more specific on how a role works and might reveal what role you are.

Player listings will be added in, definitely. I'll toss a list into the first post in the main thread. If you do have role specific questions, go ahead and ask me via PM, and I'll redact any info that would give things away about who asked the question, then post it here.

Binnt looked out of his window. There was angry people everywhere! But Binnt still felt relieved, he might not like Riots, but he was terrified of Highstorms! He had started to calm down, but he was still a wreck. Binnt settled down on a chair. "Why"  he asked himself, "Why didn't he go to the west father from the origin?","Shinovar would be a big improvement!". He sighed, he dared not leave the city, he never had, because what if one of these storming Highstorms arrived unexpectedly. He was not sure if he even would survive the fright of riding one out in a lesser town without the windblades that Kohlinar was blessed with. He would have to survive the Riots somehow, but he was not scared of that, he was mostly dreading the arrival of the next Highstorm.

First attempt at RP. I must say that it turned out better than I expected... (I'm as scared of writing as Binnt is of Highstorms, almost)

can you give us examples of Nightwatcher prayers/boons/curses?

I could, but I'd rather not. I want to see what you guys come up with. (I'm just selfish like that)

Few more questions that are more role relevant that I've gotten in PM:

"Lastly, when a Voidbringer is killed, they will have one extra day to live (but they will know death is knocking). It’s advised they use that day to pass any information gleaned on to a trusted source."

1. Is this for both the fake and the true Voidbringer?

2. Re: the trusted source--is the 'dead' Voidbringer allowed to use a PM to inform the trusted source?

1. Yes. The voidbringer has powers of the voidbringer, and the fool is entirely too silly to go and die like a normal person. It catches up to both of them, though.

2. They may PM another person. Include me in the PM when you do so.

Can a Worldsinger silence someone's vote and action the same cycle that they change someone's vote?

Yup.

In addition, to those asking for a Seventeenth sharder to reveal themselves as loyal:

They cannot betray the other members of the Seventeenth Shard (like telling the faction they’re loyal to who the traitors in their group are).

If you know who the loyal ones are, that's the same as letting you know who the traitors are. Please stop asking.

In addition, to those asking for a Seventeenth sharder to reveal themselves as loyal:

If you know who the loyal ones are, that's the same as letting you know who the traitors are. Please stop asking.

But they are allowed to tell that they are Sharders (but not loyality)? or not at all?

(Sorry, but I am confused about this...)

Edited by Binnut

But they are allowed to tell that they are Sharders (but not loyality)? or not at all?

(Sorry, but I am confused about this...)

Sorry, poor wording on my part there. They can reveal that they are Sharders, but they may not make claims about their or others loyalty.

Rubix clerification on the fake voidbringer: If they search out a member of one of the other factions, does that "random" response include coming back as that person being a member of their own faction? For example, if a darkeyes spied out a merchant, could the answer come back as that person being a darkeyes? Or, does the "exprected" response part mean it can only come back as one of the two opposing factions?

Lyla pulled the hood on her cloak up and over her face as she stepped out into the drizzling rain, though keeping herself dry is only a small part of her motivation. In a city like this, making enemies had been inevitable and the fewer people who saw her face, the better. She couldn't afford to be found now. There was work to be done.

She clutched the small knife hidden beneath the folds of her cloak. She hated weapons. Before all this had erupted she'd always considered herself a pacifist. But she couldn't risk walking unarmed in this city anymore. She wondered if the knife meant she was a coward, choosing to try to protect herself when things came down to the wire. Should she have stood by her principles and simply let herself be slaughtered rather than fight back? 

A small part of her said yes, but the greater part reminded her that she could do more good alive than dead.

She shuddered as she walked the broken streets, passing cobblestones shattered and crushed, passing buildings still smoldering slightly, though the rain had put out the blazes now. Passing bodies of the dead and dying, the scenes she saw all strangely bloodless as the water washed everythign away.

Almighty curse that queen, she thought, not for the first time. This city is tearing itself apart and she's done nothing to stop it. Someone has to do something. Someone has to help. 

I don't know what I can do, but I'm going to do something.

The screams, Kasimar thought. Those were the worst--the shouting and the screams and the sound of splintering wood and shattering stone. Easy to forget the way the day had begun--a man with two knives buried in his chest, a column of light--in the howls of the highstorm and the sounds of a city tearing itself apart from the inside.

But the silence that came after--the silence was the worst of all.

It preyed on a man's imagination, the silence. One could go crazy imagining all sorts of things happening. He crawled over to the barred window of his temporary shelter and peered from between the slats of wood. No one in sight. The rain dripped down, unrelenting, but the force of the highstorm had passed.

Go or stay? He didn't know. Either way, he thought, there wasn't much he could do except to try to keep out of the way of the destruction. He wasn't much of a fighter. Rejkvar, he found himself thinking. I have to find Rejkvar.

I must interrupt your daily rioting for an important message:

PM's are not allowed (except for the Voidbringers who will soon die). Keep all conversations limited to the Google docs.

I know I hinted before that PM's would be okay, but Josh and I hadn't discussed that particular aspect yet, and I assumed it would run a little closer to the other games (that's what I get for assuming :P ). I apologize for that mistake.

Happy rioting!

Khiriq was trying to furtively sneak from a well illuminated street into a dimly lit alley, his back to the corner walls. Just as he did, his eye was caught by the thump of the door opposite to the alley being smashed by a men carrying his child, burning cinder flying after him, immediately doused by the falling rain. The distraction made him slip, and he skidded along on the slimy descending pebbles.

A smear of crem or two wouldn't make a difference, his pocket were already heavy with it anyway. He rose and carried along, now a bit less stealthy. His lips shaped in a circle, a fleeble but acute sound came from him, not at all similiar to a whistle.

At least I can whistle he thought But if this revolt kills me, how will I learn to whistle with 2 fingers?

Heron grimaced. All of this shouting and screaming and wailing in the streets was making it hard to concentrate on what he was doing. He tried to ignore it as best he could, but no such luck. Eventually, he could stand it no more, and walked over to the window to see what was going on.

"That... That's a lot of people," Heron muttered to himself as he guessed the number of the crowd. It was almost a mob. No, wait, it actually was a riot. Why were the people rioting? There had been some trouble with the queen or something, he knew that, but... Perhaps it would be best not to get involved, if such a thing were possible. Sighing, he put his book down. He wouldn't be able to read in peace now.

Mon inhaled deeply, letting the morning air fill his lungs to bursting. Some people found the rain depressing but Mon had always loved the way it smelled and something about surviving another high storm filled him with new life. Today, he tingled with so much excitement he could barely contain it. It seemed he had returned to Kholinar at an ideal time. 

Riots provided opportunities if you knew what you were doing and this was not Mon's first experience. Those distant screams weren't bad omens. They were the cries of one less competitor blocking his path to greatness.

He contemplated tracking one of the screams to see if there might be anything left behind to scavenge but he knew the first rule of business was survival and riots were all about mobs. The quickest way to getting snuffed out himself was to go it alone. He'd need to find a mob of his own and fast. Once he had protection in numbers, then he could start making plans for his own profits.

He shook the water droplets off his coat, pulled his hood up, then set off down the path, a slight skip in his step. He knew just the place to find some like minded individuals.

Stepping around of the corner of the street, Greyeh heaved a sigh of relief. There was no one waiting to jump out at her. These riots were terrifying. Groups forming here and there, growing, running, storming buildings, only to fall apart, the members moving on to something else... All for what?

The crem filled the streets, left by the highstorm only to be thrown around by the feet of the rioters. Greyeh glanced down at her own feet. They were covered in their own thin layer of the clay-like substance, now beginning to dry.

She heard a shuffle behind her. Glancing around, she found it was only an ardent, the man looking like he had had a rough go of it. Part of her wanted to help him, but she had to hold to her self-imposed rule: Stick to herself, drag herself through this mess alone.

A quick glance at her hand revealed that her safe hand glove had been ripped. Despite having been raised to keep it covered, she decided that the glove was useless now. It would soon fall of.

Steeling herself, she ripped the glove off and threw it to the ground. It landed in the crem with not a sound, yet Greyeh felt its landing like a blow to the chest.

Despite not caring for it too much, Greyeh had never been out in public before without her safehand covered. She felt oddly vulnerable now. But no, she would be strong.

She came to another turn, but before making it, she looked back at that glove, bright blue in the dull crem, sinking in and being obscured. A symbol of her old life. Greyeh had lost it all in these riots. Her family, her home. Her place in the world, left behind in the crem, obscured just like that glove.

Turning the corner, Greyeh unsheathed her knife and began to run. The day was yet young.

Jain jumped to another rooftop. He really liked heights, for some reason. Probably because he liked the view. He also liked climbing and parkouring across them. Below him, a woman ripped of a safeglove and threw it into the crem-infested ground. Yet another sign of a decaying order.

Jain had been in plenty of riots before, but never in such a large and city-wide one. Riots were fun and interesting, but awfully inconvenient. Food prices would skyrocket and there were always thieving bands roaming the streets. Jain checked his sword. It was a simple and humble one, but it killed. Besides, few people could chase him, especially on the rooftops.

The next roof was too far away to jump. t was raining virtually non-stop now. A lot of people had their hoods up, both to hide their identities and hide from the rain. Sighing, Jain backtracked his route to find a more accessible path. 

Something told Jain the toy panda was smiling at his frustration in his pocket.

Rengar the Insane peered through the doorway into the unruly den, surveying its occupants.  27 people?  That was far too many for this sort of situation.  Many will die in these riots.  But I have no need to worry.  The force of Chaos is on my side here.  Chaos, as it has before, will see me through this mess.  All I need to do is to give into Chaos and let it guide me.  I will act upon it, and it will not act upon me.  Thus, the universe is in imbalance and all is right.  Rengar, not content with the traditional Vorin beliefs, had created his own religious cult, Chaosism.  Other than him, the religion had no followers.  And they’re fools all the same, Rengar thought.  For when their life is in order, who will be there to save them?  Not Chaos.

Rengar donned his fedora and strode into the room, an air of insufferable conceit about him.  Many of the people he walked past frowned at him, obviously upset with his pompous aura.  They think me insane.  Ha!  An insane man has, in some respect, a basis of morals.  I have none.  Rengar smiled, almost wickedly, as he casually took a seat in atop a tall stool, sitting directly across from the man who called himself Magam.

“Quite a bit of chaos going on out there,” Rengar started, glancing towards one of the windows, where glimpses of flickering, fiery flames could be seen.  “It’s quite beautiful, actually.”

Magam looked out the window as well, mostly so he would not have to respond to Rengar.  “So,” Rengar continued, discretely trying to steal Magam’s drink, “I couldn’t help but notice that you have a rather, erm… blasphemous name.  Is that correct?”  Magam turned from the window, and Rengar quickly lurched his arm back from the drink, trying to act casual.  Magam did not reply.  Obviously, he’s so entranced by my immaculate magnificence that he cannot fathom a response.

“Alright,” Rengar said, rolling his eyes.  “I wasn’t going to put it to you this bluntly, but now I’m going to, since you seem incapable of responding to me.  Alright, would you like to join the religion of Chaosism?”

“Chaosism?” Magam questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes,” Rengar replied.  “Chaosism.  It’s quite a decent religion, if I do say so myself.  I’m sure you’ve heard of it.  I mean, it already has several million followers.”

“I have not heard of this religion and, quite frankly, I don’t –”

“It is truly a fascinating belief system.  Unlike that crazy ‘Vorin’ religion of yours, Chaosism revolves completely around the concept of imbalance and disorder.  If you feel as if your life is too stable or too orderly, you need not worry; Chaos will take care of that.  If you feel –”

“Honestly, please stop.  Did you just assume that, since I had a perfectly symmetrical name, I would be easily swayed to your silly beliefs?  You’re wrong.  Just because I have a blasphemous name does not mean that–”

“No!  I am not so cruel as to discriminate in that regard.  After all, I do not believe in Vorinism anyway.  Never really have.  The point is that, by converting to Chaosism, the odds of this conflict will be unbalanced.  Chaos will see you through this fray, even if you end up as my enemy in the future.  Convert to Chaosism, and you will survive these riots.”

Magam picked up his drink and began to get off the stool.  “You are crazy, Rengar,” he said, hopping down from the stool.  “No matter what you think, you’re not going to survive this conflict.”

“Well, consider my offer anyway,” Rengar called as Magam walked away, joining another table in the corner of the room.  Rengar sighed.  Another failed attempt.  At least Chaos knows I tried to save them.  He jumped down from the tall stool and walked towards the window where he had seen the flames.  Rengar peered out the window.  Columns of fiery red tendrils shot into the sky at the horizon.  Bright flames danced in the midmorning sky, flashing against the sides of houses.  And the screams.  Loud, piercing wails filled the city.  They were far off, but they were still there.  The Riots of Kholinar had begun.

“Yes!” Rengar yelled.  “Chaos!  Destruction!  Insanity!  This is what we need!”

Everyone in the room fell silent.  What is wrong with them?  Are they not insane?  How can they not see the glory… the awe… of Chaos?  There is art in Chaos.  There is no art in order!  Order is nothing but doing the same thing, over and over… how is there art in that?  Rengar glared at the patrons of the room, and sat down in his booth, mumbling incoherently.  Rengar knew, somehow, that this was only the beginning of a very terrible day.

Weiriah looked out from behind the curtains, trying to remain out of sight from those in the street below.  A mob had passed not that long ago, she had hidden with her children on the uppermost floor.

I'm going to have to go out for food soon.  It was a daunting thought.  She looked over at her three children, they weren't looking good.  Nellek, was putting on a brave face but Weiriah could tell he knew things were going to get worse before they got better. The twins though... They were terrified, they didn't understand what was going on or where their father was...

She turned back to window, Oh Almighty why have you forsaken us? She had a hard time believing he was out there watching over her family.  Tomorrow, she'd go out...

A whiff of smoke reached Twei through the open window. It was a pleasant smell, if strange. The person responsible had to be determined, finding something to burn in this city of stone - and during the riddens, no less. She glanced outside to see if she could spot the fire, but saw only rooftops.

Kholinar was impressive. Perhaps it would be more so if she hadn't arrived two days after the riots had started. But she had work to do, and the chaotic violence could prove invaluable there.

MDT is GMT-6:00, correct?