Mid-Range Game 1: The Stormfather and The Nightwatcher

Rubix

Huddled in her now nearly empty room, Lyla shivered. She'd barely had time to go retrieve her hidden satchel before that horrible storm had overtaken the city. A storm that had blown from the wrong direction. Nothing in this city made sense anymore, and she wondered how much longer she was going to last. 

Factions floundering, some new force with strange powers wreaking havoc amongst us... Almighty's tenth name, what is happening here? 

Slowly, with the city waking back up once more in the aftermath of that strangeness, she pushed herself to her feet. The backwards winds had caused quite a bit of damage, but seeing as half the city was torn apart anyway, she wasn't sure whether the storm truly made things worse or not. She'd dragged the body of the assassin outside before taking shelter. She'd be surprised if it was still there after that storm. 

Slinging her satchel over her shoulders, she gritted her teeth. Her copy of Pai's originals and her latest journal were the only documents she had left, and that was only because she'd been carrying them with her. All her sketchbooks and reports on the events of the city had been taken, and her spanreeds as well. The cost of replacing even the supplies alone was more than she could comprehend. But the loss of information...

Only one thing to do. Get it all back. 

Satchel secure, notebooks protected, cloak on, and hood up, Lyla stepped out into the city once more, determined to make things right at any cost.

Looks like we're managing to hit the 17S, but our work's not quite done yet. The dead seem to be confirming two more. What's the plan everyone?

Okay. We have a Shardblade in play, and I'm willing to bet that it's the double kill item. But it was used on Aonar. This could mean two things:

• there is an ability that changes the target of an action (separate to the Worldsinger, which only affects votes), used on the 17S member with the Shardblade, or
  • the Shardblade belongs to someone other than the 17S.

​Either way, there's a Nightwatcher ability in the hands of someone other than the 17S, counter to Rengar's claims. The balance of power has swung back towards the darkeyes.

Since we're now to the point of the game where alliances are necessary to act, I propose this. Based on information the Sharders revealed in our doc - namely, that he's a key player - I propose we lynch vote Clanal. If you want evidence he is in fact a Darkeyes, look at his strongly worded argument for last cycle's alliance.

Storm it, Asphodel!  I thought I told you not to kill Aonar; I had something special planned for him!  Anyway, fellow Darkeyes, as you’ve probably figured out, the curse from yesterday’s request (which was to convert Aonar to our side) is that I can no longer speak in our google doc.  So, if you’d like to discuss ideas on how to kill the four remaining Sharders, do it in here.  Also, realize that the death of two Sharders is nothing to get excited over.  There’s still four of them left, even though there’s eight of us left.  I’m very worried that they’ve managed to amass a large amount of weapons and abilities throughout the game, via the Nightwatcher.  They’ve had far more opportunities to perfect their requests than we have, since they have no actions to forfeit by going to the Nightwatcher each day.

Rengar stood before the few people left, in a small tavern in the corner of Kholinar.  The few that had once called him crazy or insane now saw him as a hero and a leader.  But, while two Sharders had been killed last night, they were nowhere near done.  The past few days, he had been nearly killed by several assassination attempts.  Undoubtedly performed by the Sharders.  “Friends,” Rengar began, turning to face the other seven, a burning hatred in his eyes for the friends he had lost, “I realize that there are eight of us left.  And only four Sharders remaining.  But this, by no means, is a testament to our victory.  The Sharders are much more powerful than you realize.  They are trying to obliterate us all, completely and utterly.  I fear that they are in possession of some rather powerful weapons.  What those weapons are… well, your guess is as good as mine.  But we will not stop until all the source of this cursed Chaos is removed from the land!  We will pick off the remaining Sharders, one by one.  Believe me, fellow Darkeyes, Merchants, and Nobles, we will cull those four Sharders from the surface of Roshar!”  Some of the others nodded in approval. A few of the others turned their heads away in disgust.  No… not now!  We can’t have the other factions turn on us now, when our votes against the Sharders are needed the most!  Rengar scowled at the traitors, and turned away.  He’d need another plan to get them to regroup against the Sharders…

Edited by Renegade

Okay. We have a Shardblade in play, and I'm willing to bet that it's the double kill item. But it was used on Aonar. This could mean two things:

• there is an ability that changes the target of an action (separate to the Worldsinger, which only affects votes), used on the 17S member with the Shardblade, or
  • the Shardblade belongs to someone other than the 17S.

​Either way, there's a Nightwatcher ability in the hands of someone other than the 17S, counter to Rengar's claims. The balance of power has swung back towards the darkeyes.

Since we're now to the point of the game where alliances are necessary to act, I propose this. Based on information the Sharders revealed in our doc - namely, that he's a key player - I propose we lynch vote Clanal. If you want evidence he is in fact a Darkeyes, look at his strongly worded argument for last cycle's alliance.

I'm not sure that counts as "evidence" that I am a darkeyes. I referred to the darkeyes as "us", that isn't terribly ambiguous :P

I chose to tell you because I know that we need to work together. The results of last night were overall helpful in the fight against the sharders but they did weaken the darkeyes as well.

Regarding the shardblade, this is going to sound hard to believe. But Ashiok went to the nightwatcher last night to request that a shardblade fall on Aonar so that he had at least done something useful this game. That is what he is talking about here:

So... I was killed? I am glad that I am\was a Voidbringer, even though I was a false one. It's been nice knowing everybody, and I hope to do much more with you all." Asphodel announced. "I went to the Nightwatcher today. Hopefully in my death, I will take out Aonar, a Sharder "loyal" to my faction, in an effort to appease the Mercs and Nobles. Kill the rest of them for me, OK? See you all in Damnation!"

Notice that the shardblade n the writeup ends up in Xeneth's hands.

The arguments I made yesterday still stand, because of the Sharders 2 lives, the boons they have from the nightwatcher and their ability to communicate privately and securely they are still a greater threat.

Since we're now to the point of the game where alliances are necessary to act, I propose this. Based on information the Sharders revealed in our doc - namely, that he's a key player - I propose we lynch vote Clanal.

There is no point me saying that I am not, as I would say that regardless and you would have no reason to believe me. What I will say is that I have never discussed my role in the darkeyes doc (as was standard practice in our doc). Whoever is feeding you that information is lying to you, again. What a surprise ; )

Notice that the shardblade n the writeup ends up in Xeneth's hands.

Bleh, so it does. For whatever reason, in my head the assailant was there and took the shardblade.

There is no point me saying that I am not, as I would say that regardless and you would have no reason to believe me. What I will say is that I have never discussed my role in the darkeyes doc (as was standard practice in our doc). Whoever is feeding you that information is lying to you, again. What a surprise ; )

We heard nothing about your role. But there's a lot more to being a key player than just what powers you have due to the rules. What's more, everything else we were presented with then has proven reasonably accurate.

edit: blue

Edited by twelfthrootoftwo

We heard nothing about your role. But there's a lot more to being a key player than just what powers you have due to the rules. What's more, everything else we were presented with then has proven reasonably accurate.

I don't really know what I can say. You are trusting the lies of an enemy that has already deceived you and is working to kill us all. I will take it as a compliment that they are calling me a key player, but I would guess that is off past performance as I haven't been around much this game since very early on, in the thread or in our doc.

I know we aren't allies, but we have bigger concerns than eachother.

I know we aren't allies, but we have bigger concerns than eachother.

Since this is a multi-faction game, the 17S aren't the biggest concern, actually. Sharders aren't the only enemy in this game and eliminating us won't end anything or give the other teams a victory, it will just allow the Darkeyes to swoop in for the victory. Several darkeyes keep saying we're manipulating and lying to you but we're the ones actually being the most honest right now by telling you how the numbers actually are. Shardblading Aonar wasn't a way for them just to appease the other factions, Ashiok was on his way out and Aonar was already in the spotlight and being targeted from all around. So all it was was a gesture to try and get you to trust them so they have that much easier of a time winning.

One point that you are missing is that the  Sharders can take about 7 hits before they die, and that is more than any other faction. And they probably have a few Nightwatcher boons to help them as well.

Do any of you have a proposition for Lynch target? (That way, we can discuss things from something you come up with giving you a greater way to influence it.) 

Or should we assume that you just will hit us this cycle?

Ok, let's put it this way. There are 12 players left alive, 4 are Sharders. Each of those sharders has 2 lives meaning we need to get 8 hits on them to kill them all. 8! they have as many lives as we, Lighteyes/Merchants and Darkeyes combined have people.

Beyond that they almost certainly have nightwatcher boons including a kill weapon of some form. One of the GB is already dead. If you attack us now, and kill off our GB or Worldsinger we all LOSE. Straight up. We are going to focus all of our efforts on killing sharders for the time being and if you do not want to lose you will do the same, vote for Sarams (red for emphasis) with us, he is the other sharder "loyal" to us. If you have a sharder target you would prefer then say so while there is still time to change votes. I do not really care who we hit, so long as they are a sharder.

On a separate note as you could see from the posts above our most recent attempts with the nightwatcher backfired horribly. Because Rubix is cruel and sadistic, just like any good GM ; )

I will not try to deny that the Darkeyes have an edge over the Nobles and Merchants at the moment. However, the nobles and merchants combined are a match for us even without the sharders. We are not going to attack you at all until the sharder threat has been reduced to a manageable level so if you do as I am suggesting, a cycle or 2 from now you can turn on us and you will have a surviving sharder or two still boosting your ranks above our own and you will be more than a match for us. You will be able to kill us without causing a victory to the sharders, if you play this right.

Don't kill me. The Darkeyes are trying to clear their doc of Sharers, so they can conspire against you. They have a GB to spook Tulia, and if they get the vote, I'll be dead (I'm already spooked). Then they can coordinate and win the game. Don't let that happen,

I do indeed have a preference out of the remaining ShardersTrahar.

Other Ghostblood - your choice. Just remember we're walking a knife edge.

(Incidentally, what's happened to Jim Bob Dirt? He hasn't posted for a few cycles, but he wasn't caught in a highstorm.)

edit: blue. again.

Edited by twelfthrootoftwo

Do we have the release date for the third Stormlight Archive book?

Don't really think this is the kind of place for questions like that but there is a whole thread on the topic HERE you can checkout.

Edit: and thanks for giving me a valid reason to post in here again.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

I do indeed have a preference out of the remaining ShardersTrahar.

Other Ghostblood - your choice. Just remember we're walking a knife edge.

(Incidentally, what's happened to Jim Bob Dirt? He hasn't posted for a few cycles, but he wasn't caught in a highstorm.)

edit: blue. again.

As you wish, vote adjusted. At the moment so long as we are working together to hit the sharders I am happy.

(I dunno where Jim Bob Dirt is at actually. He might be busy irl.) Which I should be too, *sigh* back to work =P

Ok, let's put it this way. There are 12 players left alive, 4 are Sharders. Each of those sharders has 2 lives meaning we need to get 8 hits on them to kill them all. 8! they have as many lives as we, Lighteyes/Merchants and Darkeyes combined have people.

What makes you so sure that all of them have both their lives still?

Also, maybe Jim Bob Dirt has a curse that stops him from posting here? He'd have been eliminated otherwise.

What makes you so sure that all of them have both their lives still?

Also, maybe Jim Bob Dirt has a curse that stops him from posting here? He'd have been eliminated otherwise.

Could be it, but we actually haven't seem him for a while in our doc either (and he has not been very active)

Do you have any comment on the vote?

Rengar: I'm not sues how we will vote, depends on how the discussion goes here. We will have to see. Trahar seems to be the most likely target right now it seems. When it comes to you ability, we haven't discussed any specific plans for any ability, so use your judgement on how to use it.

Edit: Blue....

Edited by Binnut

Could be it, but we actually haven't seem him for a while in our doc either (and he has not been very active)

Do you have any comment on the vote?

He might be impeded on any form of communication.

I'm really not sure on the vote. Darkeyes are really starting to look a bit too strong for my tastes.

Yes, the balance lies with you, that's why we want you to decide on a Sharder target. We wont vote for one of our own obviously, but we will support any Sharder as a target as long as we can unite on one.

You called for Trahar, and we comply. Unless you change it to another Sharder.

Edit: Removed repeated words.

Edited by Binnut

Lucy stood back and watched the arguments. They were coming to a head, but she didn’t have much to add. She’d said what she had wanted to in private meetings. There wasn’t much to do now but wait and see what happened.

Well, it looks like the vote is going to be really close. It's in the hands of the Nobles and Merchants, really. I’m curious how it’s going to turn out. It’s definitely going to be a turning point for one side or another.I figure I should have at least something here for in case the activity rules suddenly start being strictly enforced.

DAY SEVEN: Whistles on the Wind

Xeneth rammed his blade into the ground, and bent down to examine the pile of corpses at his feet. In the pile were his friends Binnt, Twei, and Jim Bob Dirt.

Poor Dirt, Xeneth thought to himself, It was an awful nickname, but when your parents name you Jimbobdirtridbobmij, you work with what you're given.

As Xeneth drew the blade from the ground, he noticed that his blade had severed a piece of parchment. He opened it and read "N:Kill:Clan&Jim.Trust Ma,Tr&Lu.Vote w/Mer Kas: Nob- St+GB/fVB, Mer- Ar+A. Mer:Trust Mag. Vote w/Nob. Use Lu to comm. Also, kill everyone!"

The storming kids were using color now. He had to go talk to the glyphmasters about these pranksters, and as we was a lord now, he figured they'd probably listen. At least the hat's curse was finally slowing down, but still his friends died. Perhaps if he offered the sword to the nightwatcher, she'd stop killing his friends.

He somehow doubted it.

Stormwarden who is growing more comfortable in this new town's warning: Storm today, maybe tomorrow.

• (WeiryWriter) Weiriah
  • (Lightsworn Panda) Jain
  • (Gamma Fiend) Magam
  • (Tulir) Trahar
  • (FeatherWriter) Lyla
  • (Ashiok) Asphodel
  • (Renegade) Rengar
  • (Mailliw73) Mailam
  • (Binnut) Binnt
  • (Macen) Ace
  • (AonarFaileas) Aonar
  • (jasonpenguin) Peng