Mid-Range Game 1: The Stormfather and The Nightwatcher

Rubix

Rengar smiled grimly at the audience before him.  Was that a highstorm brewing?  No, it couldn’t be.  “I told you!  I told you all!  The Seventeenth Shard!  They were the source of Chaos here!  They still are!  I want you all, each and every one of you, no matter your faction or the color of your eyes, to take up your arms against the Sharders!  You thought me a fool, an insane man!  Yet I was right!  I was right!”

Rengar looked at the small crowd before him, some gazes confused, some in awe.  The crowd was much smaller than the 27 people they had started with.  Only 16 were left.  And many of those were Seventeenth Sharders.  “Call me insane, if you wish!  Call me a hopeless optimist!  But we will defeat those accursed Sharders, mark my words!  Now then, everyone, we must coordinate our attacks.  Each faction, if you still have a Ghostblood, get them to attack the known Sharders.  But say who your faction will be attacking in public, so that we can coordinate our attacks.  If you have any Nightwatcher weapons, use them.  If you have any sort of ability to attack, use that.  We will also need to coordinate today’s lynch.  Otherwise, if you can’t perform anything against the Sharders, go to the Nightwatcher.  Ask for something special tonight, for if we don’t, then we will be doomed."  Rengar paused, looking at the crowd.  They seemed a bit more determined, and ready for action.  "Fear not, my fellow Kholinarians, we will find a way to bring down the Seventeenth Shard, no matter how precarious the situation seems.”

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good idea that we communicate with each other on this doc to battle the Sharders.  We need coordination and communication to defeat them.  The Broken Spanreed (Aonar) is not on our side, I now assure you.  But we still have hope.  Remember Kelsier, and don't forget to smile. :)   We will defeat the Sharders.  What happens after that, who knows.  But it doesn't matter.  Our immediate goal is the destruction of the Seventeenth Shard.  Now, would you like to destroy some traitors today?

EDIT: Also, nice job to those in the Dead doc!  You've made the living proud!

Edited by Renegade

Lyla was still trying to catch her breath as another shadow pulled itself through her window and walked across the floor to her. He was breathing heavily and seemed slightly battered from his trip out the window, but not enough to slow him down. 

No, no, no! Not now, not right now! Desperately she scrabbled for her sword, only to receive a kick to her already wounded wrist. She cried out in pain as the blade clattered away, more tears welling up in her eyes. The assassin leaned down, perfectly calm, and drew his knife. 

Using the last of her strength to take hold of his wrist, she glared up at him. She highly doubted she was actually strong enough right now to impede him, but he stopped, apparently unconcerned with her feeble attempts to fight back.

"It's you," she growled, coughing slightly. "Not the stonethrower. You're the one who did this. You were waiting for me. Aesudan's pet, I would assume? You'd really kill an innocent scholar in cold blood? What in the tenth name of the Almighty have you done with my work?"

So Alv, looks like the dead think we're both trustworthy. I'm sure Lyla and Rolav will make great allies. They're super friendly with one another, right? I don't know about the other two factions, but 17S got vocal in our doc last round. If the dead tell me we're being played, I'm inclined to believe them.

Rengar sat down in the small tavern, replaying the events over in his mind.  YOUR GIFT THIS CYCLE IS THE TEMPORARY STAYING OF MY HAND IN THIS CONFLICT.  YOUR CURSE WILL BECOME APPARENT IN DUE COURSE.  Had he been the only one who had heard that earlier?  What was this so-called "curse"?  Rengar didn't like curses.  For some reason, his thoughts turned to a few Vorin myths he had heard about at a young age.  Something about a loud, booming voice.  That was the Stormfather, not the Nightwatcher, wasn't it?  But... the Stormfather?  Why?  There is something else linked with that... something important that I feel I'm missing.  Rengar put his hand to his chin in thought.  Suddenly, his eyes widened in realization.  YOUR CURSE...  Rengar ran from the tavern.

The Everstorm comes.  Possibly.  I'm not entirely sure yet.  But if the Seventeenth Sharders seem as cocky in your factions as they do in ours, then I'm guessing they know something that we don't.  And if we figure that out, we (may or may not) be able to defeat them with ease.  We need information about the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher, in particular.  I can almost guarantee you that none of the non-Sharders' boons have gone through with the Nightwatcher.  The Seventeenth Shard knows something about the PMs to the Nightwatcher that we don't.  And, my thought is that if you're going to the Nightwatcher today, you also make a prayer to the Stormfather.  Some glyph or something to stop the Everstorm or protect yourselves.  But what we really need to do is analyze how to make a proper prayer to the Nightwatcher and/or Stormfather.

Then again, I might be completely wrong.  The Sharders may be using this as a red herring to distract our votes and actions.  But, considering the title of this game and all...

Edited by Renegade

As you can see, my powers of perception are top notch. So good at paying attention to who's alive and who isn't. The bestest.

Curses, it would have been nice to have another person we thought we could trust. I'll just have to RP him dying apparently because retcons are for squares and I refuse to retcon. Alvron, if you're reading this from beyond the grave, it was an excellent RP exchange. *salutes*

Before the man could respond to her all-but-spat words, he stiffened suddenly, knife slipping free from his fingers. Lyla's eyes widened, and she hastily shoved him off of her. Pushin herself away from him, she watched as the assasin slumped to the floor and stilled. She watched for a few moments, but he did not rise. Finally, she carefully crawled back over to him, pressing her finger to his neck. No pulse. 

Thoroughly unsettled, she glanced around, wishing she knew what was going on. What had killed him? Had he been attacked? Internal wounds from the fall? Poison? She couldn't have possibly gotten lucky enough that he'd suffered something like a heart attack, could she have? Shivering, she pulled her legs up against her chest and simply sat in her empty, ransacked room, wishing she knew what was going on in this city. 

Ahh, yes, now is when everything erupts, Trahar thought to himself as he realization set in on the faces of the rioters.  

"You may be wondering why we are doing this," Trahar spoke as he rose to his feet, faces turning to him.  "I cannot speak for the others, but what my city has become is sickening.  Rot and corruption spread throughout the government, and everywhere else as well.  Kholinar is supposed to be above all of that!  We are in the capital of the greatest nation in the world.  These riots disgust me, with the waste of lives, but there is no other way.  You are free to join us, if you want."  With that, he left the rooftop to go hide.

Aonar sat back, carefully looking over his disassembled Sterrions. After his unintended swim in the streets, he wanted to make sure the internal mechanisms were still working properly. It was unfortunate that the Alethi had discovered his farce, but it made several things easier. He no longer bothered applying the solution that made his eyes dark, and Aonar had been able to retrieve his rifle from it's place in an unused palace basement. 

He sighed and started putting his pistols back together, tapping a little zinc and steel to make the job easier. He'd honestly intended to return Kholinar to some semblance of order, but no one would believe him now. Standing, Aonar turned and left the abandoned building where he'd taken a temporary rest. Tapping brass to stave off the chill, he slung his rifle over his shoulder and holstered his pistols.

Walking towards the assigned meeting place, he prepared himself to make his case. While Aesudan's corruption needed to be removed, the Darkeyes couldn't be allowed to rule Kholinar, especially not with Rengar in charge. All of Alethkar would fall into Chaos if that happened. Which, come to think of it, was probably exactly what Rengar wanted...

Edited by AonarFaileas

I posted this in the docs, but just so everyone knows:

Prayers to the Nightwatcher will continue until 6AM MDT, due to the Everstorm. If you would like to make a prayer, make sure it's in by that time, otherwise it will not count. (Still wait until after the Everstorm ends to submit those prayers or any action and votes.)

We have all been badly played, and if any of us want a way of surviving, then we have to work together.

By my calcuation, there are 6 Sharders left(at least one spooked), and 10 of the factions. This means that we need to vote together so that they wont get a majority vote.

This is a proposition from the Darkeyed doc:

Lynch: Heron, since he already is spooked. That way, we remove one vote from the Sharders.

We should also preferably also coordinate any our actions:

Attacks on Sarams, he is one of the sharders "loyal" to the us darkeyed. I will admit that we are the strongest faction after the Sharders, this way, you lose no potential vote if the Sharders start to ally with factions instead, but we do.

We have a Worldsinger that will Silence Aonar and turn a Sharder vote to Heron.

If the Merchants have a Worlsdsinger left, then silence Trahar. This makes it less likely that they can use their weapon. (I assume they were the ones that got one from the Nightwatcher.)

If all of this goes through, the stats will be 4 Sharders, and 10 of the factions, giving the factions a lead over the Sharders.

This may be enough to make the sharders start aligning with the factions insted, and that ill even out the factions.

Please leave comments on this, and thoughts on targets(or propose new ones). But please, do so quickly, beacause we need to stand united in a few hours, and the sharders will try to make us vote for different people and thus breaking us.

This is a proposal to start working from at least. But late changes will cause people to not be able to send in their votes, so be fast!

Edit: Yes, they are. They are both in our doc as well...  And Heron has been spooked from our doc...

Edited by Binnut

Suddenly the sky had turned dark and a ferocious storm had come barreling in out of the west, taking the entire city by surprise and halting the rioters in their tracks as they fled for safety. Some of them didn't make it in time and were swept away by the flooding waters that filled the streets. Screams were drowned out by howling winds and the relentless thunder that had raged for a day.

Scared and weak, Magam had spent the entirety of the storm hiding underneath piles of old furniture, cowering in fear and waiting for it to end. Several times in the beginning of the storm he had heard people pounding and begging to be let in, but he was so paralyzed in his trepidation that he was unable to move until eventually the pleas for help had stopped.

Shadows gathered as the storm passed and eventually there was nothing to be heard but silence.

It was the silence that first alerted Aonar to his pursuers. The streets, usually echoing with the noise of the looters and rioters, had gone silent after the strange storm had passed a few hours ago. Tapping tin, he heard soft footsteps coming from behind him.

Rust and Ruin! Apparently the Darkeyes aren't going to wait until the meeting to try and off me… Only one thing to do, I suppose.

Ducking into an alleyway, Aonar unslung his rifle, tapping steel, zinc, electrum and chromium to steady his aim. Before long, one of the would-be assassins barged around the corner. Aonar smiled grimly. They’ve obviously never dealt with firearms before. The world slowed by zinc and steel, he took careful aim and shot the man in the knee. Aonar calmly set to reloading his rifle for the next of the assassins.

However many were left, they’d obviously learned some caution from the crack of gunfire and their compatriot’s pained shouts. One of the darkeyes stuck his head around the corner, and immediately pulled back, too fast for even Aonar’s Feruchemically enhanced reflexes to make the shot, though he couldn't help but try. Rust. If they were smart, they’d rush forward now, while he had to reload. While Aonar could load a rifle faster than any unenhanced Scadrian, and more quickly than a good few of the metalborn, he was still vulnerable.

Admittedly, Roshar had never seen anything like a rifle, outdated as this one might be, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Setting down his rifle, he drew one of his Sterrions, keeping it low, and stalked forward. When the assassin stuck his head around the corner again, Aonar waited. Gaining confidence, the man raised his sword. A grin played about his features. “Not so dangerous without that strange fabrial, eh?”

Aonar stayed quiet. Unnerved but resolute, the assassin feinted forward, and then brought his sword down in a vertical slash. Sidestepping easily with the grace afforded by zinc and steel, Aonar brought his pistol up and fired, catching the man in the stomach. “Not exactly.”

Turning away, he retrieved his rifle and set off at a calm walk for the meeting place.

Anyone else read the expanded Feruchemical Abilities section in AoL and think that Feruchemists might well be more terrifying than Allomancers, once given guns? :P

Anyway, I hope those of you in the other Factions realize what's happening. First we played you, and now the Darkeyes are trying to play you, and they're not even being subtle about it. They have no intention of "evening out" the Factions. They plan to remove only so many Sharders as it will take to achieve their victory conditions. I know you cannot trust me, but don't just roll over for the Darkeyes. If you really want some chance of beating them, you should side with us, and use your actions and votes on non-Sharder Darkeyes.  

EDIT: Note to self, read over RP that you write late at night. :P

Edited by AonarFaileas

I think it's a great idea to ally with the Darkeyes. After all, they have as many votes as us Sharders, and more useful roles, including a Ghostblood, still left! What could possibly go wrong for you if you started helping them when they alone can overpower both the Merchant and Noble votes and thus kill two of you a day?

Heron held up a small vial to his eyes. There was perhaps just a single mouthful of pewter left. Rust and Storms and Ruin all combined, this place was dangerous. The Everstorm last night had certainly shaken him, but it was more just the general atmosphere of this place which had turned him into this nervous, paranoid wreck. He thought about it briefly, then he downed the vial. It was better to use it now than it was to die and never use it.

He selected another vial from his belt, and grimaced as he looked at it. He was all out of tin. Tin burned slowly, but with the riots going on, he seemed to never have enough. He wished that he could use tinminds, but sadly that was not something he was able to do, for he was born with Allomancy and pewter in his soul rather than Feruchemy and tin. He swirled the vial around, as if doing so would make more appear. Regardless of the result, he drank that as well. At least there was still some alcohol left in it. If he survived this, he'd have to see about becoming a tin compounder.

He stood up straight and looked around as he heard the crackshot of one of Aonar's pistols. It had to be Aonar: nothing else but his Sterrions could have made such a noise in this place. The people here were simply not developed enough for it. He should probably go and see if the man was alright, even though he cursed Aonar with every breath for convincing him to come here in the first place.

Feruchemy never let him down like his Allomancy had done. It never ran out on him when he needed it most. He shuffled his thick, steel bracelet down his wrist and started to pour his speed into it. He'd spent a chunk of it running away yesterday from another fight. Glancing around to make sure that he wasn't being watched, he took a few, slow steps back and let loose the briefly stored speed.

He stopped withdrawing steel when he reached a rooftop above the city. He felt it would probably be safer here. He sat down on the rooftop edge and looked out with his sub-par eyes. Perhaps it was his fate to die in such a wretched place? A curse Harmony had placed upon him for the forbidden art, maybe. Heron had never considered that Harmony might hate him before; he'd never killed for his spikes, at least not without permission. Damnation, as the people would have said here, Pathists themselves used charged earrings to converse with their so-called god. Heron had never been a Pathist, despite his Terris heritage. After all, what reason would he have to believe in something he knew to be true? How could he come to any other conclusion, with Harmony whispering in his ear all the time?

He had two more metalminds left that he could utilise, and no more Allomantic metals available to him. His aluminiummind was almost entirely spent, flickering between the different shades of his personality that he had to use here. A more cautious one for the mercantile folk, a more brash and jokey one for the darkeyes here... Still, that couldn't help him anywhere near as much as it used to.

His hopes, therefore, rested on his fourth and most recent acquisition, one that he'd obtained just before he'd met up with his friends and come here. A chromiummind stored luck, and it was that which he required right now. He'd stored up quite a bit of it since coming here, suffering the clumsiness and speak-before-thinking personality that came with it. Now, he started to slowly withdraw it. It was a difficult thing to quantify, the luck that one needed, but he at least knew that it was a bad idea to use it all up at once.

He took a quick check of his weapons. Unlike some of his companions, he had not trained with firearms. He wasn't really a fighter at all. Like most pewterarms though, he'd trained himself in weaponless fighting, even if he wasn't particularly good at it. It was a shame that he'd never gotten into a fight with a Shardblader while he was here, really. He'd have liked to test that particular theory out. Regardless though, the only actual weapon he had with him was the knife.

Which, it just occurred to him, he'd killed with. The knife was certainly pure enough iron for Hemalurgy - He'd refused to buy anything too impure. It just sounded like poor quality to him, and that Scadrialian instinct seemed to have served him well here. Even better, the eyes were a Hemalurgic bindpoint. It had been a day since that incident, so a lot of the charge would have disappeared already, but... This was a riot, and he needed physical power. As soon as his pewter disappeared, he was dead anyway.

He pulled up his shirt a little, held the knife carefully, grimaced at what he was about to do, tapped a little luck, and then after finally working up the courage, stabbed himself in the chest.

Edited by Wyrmhero

They still have a chance, and that is something they wont get if you still are in power. Do not forget the Nightwatcher weapon that the Sharders reportedly have...

The sharders that are left after this cycle are still powerful in terms of a vote and and information of our doc. If Merchant and nobles vote the same including the "Loyal" Sharders next cycle, then that's 8 votes. we would also have 7.  So in fact, this may be handing another faction the victory, but rather that, than giving it to the sharders.

By this tactic we can we even out the ground, and deny the Sharders their Victory. Who will win is not certain. Aonar himself as said in our doc that the Nobles very well could take this if we go by this tactic.

Edited by Binnut

Anyone else read the expanded Feruchemical Abilities section in AoL and think that Feruchemists might well be more terrifying than Allomancers, once given guns? :P

Anyway, I hope those of you in the other Factions realize what's happening. First we played you, and now the Darkeyes are trying to play you, and they're not even being subtle about it. They have no intention of "evening out" the Factions. They plan to remove only so many Sharders as it will take to achieve their victory conditions. I know you cannot trust me, but don't just roll over for the Darkeyes. If you really want some chance of beating them, you should side with us, and use your actions and votes on non-Sharder Darkeyes.  

EDIT: Note to self, read over RP that you write late at night. :P

Nice try Aonar. If we ignored that the sharders almost certainly have multiple nightwatcher blessings, most likely including a killing item, then your argument would be almost sufficient. By all means, let's fight it out tomorrow ;) But if we fight it out today the sharders are going to equal us all combined in numbers and with their co-ordination and ability to actually trust eachother they would almost certainly win despite us now knowing who they are. I do not think it is unreasonable to guess that at this point their blessings from the nightwatcher are equivalent to what we have.

We suggested attacking a sharder who I think is "loyal" to us rather than one who is loyal to one of the other factions. If you follow through with that plan you are hurting the sharders and us in the case where we do succeed in reducing the sharders numbers to a manageble level (and if we don't succeed at that harming us is irrelevant). The plan benefits you either way and the sharders are not being subtle in trying to dissuade you from it.

Not the best written post, but I'm tired *shrug*.

To answer the questions I received during the Everstorm:

Is the Ardent allowed to protect themselves?

Yes. Their protective ability extends to whomever they choose, including themselves.

If a Sharder receives two hits in the same cycle, do they die?

Yes. Double-targeting an unprotected Sharder will kill them.

"So... I was killed? I am glad that I am\was a Voidbringer, even though I was a false one. It's been nice knowing everybody, and I hope to do much more with you all." Asphodel announced. "I went to the Nightwatcher today. Hopefully in my death, I will take out Aonar, a Sharder "loyal" to my faction, in an effort to appease the Mercs and Nobles. Kill the rest of them for me, OK? See you all in Damnation!"

After the storm today, so much more terrible than a regular highstorm, the streets were a mess in a different way. They were destroyed as if the Almighty’s own hand was punishing them for the riots. The storm had come out of nowhere and gone the wrong way, leaving a only death and destruction in its wake.

Most people were too frightened to come out after the storm. So when Lucy walked around, the streets were nearly deserted. She knew it was foolish to go out–the storm might not truly be over, or it might come again–but she couldn’t just sit still and wait. Something important would happen today. She could feel it.

The Darkeyes’ proposition makes me uneasy. Since the only people who have actually spoken for it have claimed to be Darkeyes, I’m really worried about how easily they might win if we try to form an alliance with them. If we work with the Seventeenth Shard, at least some of them will have an interest in actively helping us out instead of the Darkeyes.

Edited by luckat

DAY SIX: Shardblades Killing Darkeyes

Xeneth ran through the streets, fleeing from the mob that was pursuing him. He was sorry about the hat, he really was. But why did his friend Heron have to die for it? As he ran, he tripped over Asphodel's corpse, and rammed headfirst into Hinah, who raised her fist to the sky and called out, "Curse you GM! Dinner better be ready when I get home!" and fell over dead.

This was getting entirely out of hand. Since she'd yelled random things at him, he decided to do the same to her. "Mag&Luc also 17S. Ignore boongiver. Just unite and vote. Dead:3SG/3tVB/2WS/GB/Ar/fVB. Discuss all possibilities publicly! 17s dominating :(," he yelled at her corpse as he walked away.

He continued running, and as he ran, he saw someone laying facedown in the street with what looked like a shardblade protruding from his back. Like King Nohadon of legend, he drew the shardblade from Aonar's corpse, and raised it aloft. Did this mean that now he was king?

Either way, Xeneth turned to face the mob, and called, "Let's see you try to take my hat now, fools!"

Replacement Stormwarden's warning: No storm today

• (WeiryWriter) Weiriah
  • (Lightsworn Panda) Jain
  • (Gamma Fiend) Magam
  • (Tulir) Trahar
  • (FeatherWriter) Lyla
  • (Ashiok) Asphodel
  • (Renegade) Rengar
  • (Mailliw73) Mailam
  • (Binnut) Binnt
  • (Macen) Ace
  • (AonarFaileas) Aonar