• Taln
    • Chana
    • Vedel
    • Pailiah
    • Kalak
    • Ishar
    • Battar
    • Nale

Imma go and say it will be neither Ash, Taln, Ishar nor Nale.

Ash and Taln seem to be set up to become major players during the back five (though Brandon did say it's possible that characters have a flashback book when they're already dead).
Ishar will likely be a villain later on and give the United Forces a lot of trouble, while Nale is too close to being on Odium's side, they won't want him dead right now.

Could be any single one from the others though.

So Battar and Nale are at least ostensibly on Odium's side now, Ash and Taln are well-guarded in Urithiru, and Ishar is both well-guarded and making a nuisance of himself for a Coalition. Pailiah is in Kharbranth, which Odium isn't supposed to touch. We know nothing about how Vedel and Chana are doing these days. 

So I'm gonna say Kalak, because I feel like it makes a bit more sense for him to go after a Herald that we've actually seen. 

The dagger Vyre used to kill Jezrien had a sapphire and it served a function rather than just an ornamentation as it glowed.

Odium probably found a way to kill the Heralds...

Him going after Taln makes a lot of sense. I don't think he'll be sent after Ishar as Odium's army passed through Emul and very close to Tashikk but didn't bother with him

I would hope that our introduction to either Vedel or Chana does not involve them getting shanked by Vyre. I also rather liked Kalak. Pailiah and Battar are both in Kharbranth and I would like an encounter between them. I vote for Nale getting shanked as he comes to join Odium and Odium's like 'meh'

Edited by Honorless

It's quite hard to pick one but I have a list of three that I find more likely than the rest. 

1) Kalak - it totally makes sense for me that the Willshaper Herald dies in a Willshaper book. And we have already seen some of him, even if it was only prologues. He is a number one on my list.

2) Chana - I find her less likely just beacuse we haven't seen her yet. But if she is introduced at the very beginning, I definitely see her dying. There is another reason as well, but I'll get to it while talking about Ash.

3) Ash - so, we know she is a flashback character but that doesn't mean she has to survive (but to make her flashbacks interesting it'd be better to see more of her. I want Heralds for flashback characters, so I hope it won't end up the way it did with Eshonai). And mostly because of this WoB (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/364/#e11374) it looks like she will end up as a Dustbringer - so actually Chana being dead before her makes sense. OTOH, I think we will see a lot of parallels in the SA so after death of Jezrien - leaving Kaladin's order without a patron - I feel like a patron of Lightweavers being next just fits in there. 

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

Pailiah and Battar are both in Kharbranth and I would like an encounter between them.

They are not both in Kharbranth. Looks like just one of them is. Unclear which one though.

R'Shara

A long time ago, where you said that Pailiah was the elderly ardent in Kharbranth that Shallan saw, is that right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes? If you say I said that, then I did.

Questioner 2

Does that mean it is still true?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say there is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian.

R'Shara

It was in a signed book but we never got a picture of it.

Brandon Sanderson

There is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian. I'm not being sneaky about that.

R'Shara

Is there more than one?

Brandon Sanderson

There have been in the past, but there is only one that you would call influencing him right now. But there have been others in the past.

Not what I was talking about, @Toaster Retribution. The WoB means that there is a Herald within Taravangian's group, this is Battar. And that he has encountered multiple Heralds, which would also include Nale, Kalak, even Jezrien.

I meant there are two Heralds in the city of Kharbranth as per WoB: Pailiah was in the Palanaeum, and the Ardent/Silent Gatherer Dova is actually Battar.

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

Not what I was talking about, @Toaster Retribution. The WoB means that there is a Herald within Taravangian's group, this is Battar. And that he has encountered multiple Heralds, which would also include Nale, Kalak, even Jezrien.

I meant there are two Heralds in the city of Kharbranth as per WoB: Pailiah was in the Palanaeum, and the Ardent/Silent Gatherer Dova is actually Battar.

The Pailiah WoB is unreliable though, since we never got a picture of the book it was written in. And the above WoB implies that there is only one Herald in Taravangians proximity. I personally dont think both Battar and Pailiah are in Kharbranth. 

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The Pailiah WoB is unreliable though, since we never got a picture of the book it was written in. And the above WoB implies that there is only one Herald in Taravangians proximity. I personally dont think both Battar and Pailiah are in Kharbranth. 

Hmm, that is true, there is no accompanying picture there. Only @The Sovereign can confirm that. There are these WoBs though:

R'Shara

A long time ago, where you said that Pailiah was the elderly ardent in Kharbranth that Shallan saw, is that right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes? If you say I said that, then I did.

Questioner 2

Does that mean it is still true?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say there is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian.

R'Shara

It was in a signed book but we never got a picture of it.

Brandon Sanderson

There is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian. I'm not being sneaky about that.

R'Shara

Is there more than one?

Brandon Sanderson

There have been in the past, but there is only one that you would call influencing him right now. But there have been others in the past.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

INTERVIEW: Oct 14th, 2013

QUESTION

Is the Palanaeum named for Palah?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. In fact, it was named based on—it was Greek in our world—the Athenaeum? It was based off of that.

WETLANDER

Did we see Palah?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I believe every one of the Heralds is mentioned or shown somewhere in the first book.

WETLANDER

Someone was wondering whether the old woman who was wandering around the Palanaeum was her.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is a very good guess. I won't say specifically, because some of them are intended to be more obvious and some of them are intended to be red herrings. So, that was a very good guess.

not an outright denial so far, so I can hold out hope for a meeting

Just now, Honorless said:

Hmm, that is true, there is no accompanying picture there. Only @The Sovereign can confirm that. There are these WoBs though:

Sure, you can. And eventually we will see all the Heralds interact, probably in present time, but at least in Taln and Ash flashbacks. 

20 hours ago, Honorless said:

I can confirm, this was confirmed in a signed book that I let a friend borrow and never got back (hence lack of picture).

I'm hoping Moash's next victim is one of the female heralds since we've had so few interactions with them. I will say I hope it isn't Ash because I'm excited to get a book about her and I want her to be active and not dead like poor Eshonai, but I'm game for any of the other 4. So far, we've been confirmed to see all 5 male heralds on screen except for Ishar, and he's been heavily referenced to. Meanwhile, all we've gotten from the female heralds is Ash, and Taravangian's reference to Battar, which Brandon won't even confirm to be her and not another female herald. So Moash going about on a murder spree is a perfect opportunity to expand our view of the heralds.

On the other hand, I agree that the herald should be someone we've either seen on screen or are familiar with. Considering we didn't see Jezrien apart from WoK's prologue until OB though, it's not hard to see a new herald being introduced and then killed. Or it could be a herald we've seen on screen but hasn't been confirmed to be a herald, like the Liss is Chana theory.

54 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

I can confirm, this was confirmed in a signed book that I let a friend borrow and never got back (hence lack of picture).

They never returned a signed book? How did that happen? Did they move away or something? I'm just asking because personally, I would hound anybody who borrowed a signed book until they returned it.

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

They never returned a signed book? How did that happen? Did they move away or something? I'm just asking because personally, I would hound anybody who borrowed a signed book until they returned it.

Yeah, she moved and then realized that she never gave it back to me. I'm just going to grab it next time I go visit but seeing as She is now in Salt Lake and I live near Boston that will have to happen when it happens...

12 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I hope it is not Chana. I’m hyped to see her, so having her die quickly would be a bummer. 

Agreed. I was just throwing the idea out there. Assuming Liss is Chana, she seems awesome and badass and I’d be sad to see her die prematurely. 

I'm going with Kalak, mostly because of the same reasons the others have stated: we haven't seen most of the female Heralds but one of them is working for Mr. T, Nale and Ishar are against the human forces, and Ash and Taln might be too difficult to reach at the moment. That being said, I kinda like the idea that one of the interludes - if not the entire interlude through line - is one of the Heralds trying to escape Moash. Like a supernatural horror story or something. 

14 hours ago, Eugenides said:

I don't think that is true. I do think that he would need an Odiumblade to do it however

Odiumblade isn't a confirmed thing. The dagger used to kill Jezrien had a sapphire that was presumably used up, it seems it was utilizing Realmatic mechanics behind the associated gemstones.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Odiumblade isn't a confirmed thing. The dagger used to kill Jezrien had a sapphire that was presumably used up, it seems it was utilizing Realmatic mechanics behind the associated gemstones.

Special magic blade made by Odium.  I dunno,  seems like a reasonable name to me.  

45 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Special magic blade made by Odium.  I dunno,  seems like a reasonable name to me.  

I'd use the name Odiumblade and/or Voidblade as direct hypothetical counterparts to Honorblade or Shardblade. A counterpart to the latter might exist via Voidbinding 

3 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I'd use the name Odiumblade and/or Voidblade as direct hypothetical counterparts to Honorblade or Shardblade. A counterpart to the latter might exist via Voidbinding 

That's fair I suppose.  In the case of the Odiumblade Vs Honorblade, I personally think there's a good equivalency there: it's a non-living magical blade built to grant Power to a mortal.  Granted it does not appear to grant Surges in any particular way. 

Id personally restrict the Shardblade equivalent to something that was also made of spren, but then I personally dont really like calling Nightblood a shardblade, so I certainly have odd personal preferences.  

On 11/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, Llstml said:

@Nymeros, why do you say that? I agree that it would be more difficult to kill non-catatonic Heralds, but Nale is the only one we have seen actively fighting, and Moash has an honorblade now.

Moash just learned to fight the other day. I assume that the other Heralds are not insensible as Jezrien was and that Moash wouldnt be able to kill them simply because he lacks the skill and power needed to do so.

• Chaos locked this topic