The Deepness theories?

Higgs-Boson Spren

Alright this is my first post and so forgive me if this has been proposed before. In a recent reread of Mistborn era 1 I realized that in many of the references to the Deepness, it referenced it as being dark or black. However during the Final Empire and after, the Mists are white. The Mists are of Preservation, but could the Deepness have been something like Ruin’s “Mist”? Because Ruin’s power is frequently black. His Shardpool is black. They see his power as a black smoke. 

My understanding is that the descriptions were far more metaphor. The "black" of the deepness was just the darkness it caused. Strangling and starving the land and its people. It was doing the same things in HoA. The situation leading up to the filling of the Well was literally the same as in alendi's logbook. That grew *worse* rapidly after Ruin was freed. 

I don't think the Mists back then were any different than the Mists we saw. 

6 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

Maybe those of the past really were worse (and black). In Alendi's time there was a Black Lake, too. Perhaps the creation of the Pits of Hathsin was to condense this power of Ruin Perpendicularity and prevent it from being used to make the Mists (even more) worse.

Preservation set up the system of atium cycling through the Pits of Hathsin when he imprisoned Ruin, well before Rashek's Ascension. From the HoA epigraphs:

Atium, then, was an object that was one-sided. Instead of being composed of half Ruin and half Preservation—as, say, a rock would be—atium was completely of Ruin. The Pits of Hathsin were crafted by Preservation as a place to hide the chunk of Ruin's body that he had stolen away during the betrayal and imprisonment. Kelsier didn't truly destroy this place by shattering those crystals, for they would have regrown eventually—in a few hundred years—and continued to deposit atium, as the place was a natural outlet for Ruin's trapped power.

As for the idea that there's more to the Deepness... why? What we already know thanks to HoA and Sazed explains everything that we've been told and now that Ati's gone, they're not relevant any longer.

Edited by Weltall

• 2 weeks later...