light weaver radio

Branderson

so light weavers have control over wave forms like light and sound so could they make radio transitions. it not as farfetched as it first seems radio was have more in comin with light than sound does (there both electromagnetic waves) and we know that the sergebinding can fill in some gaps like Vails in walking animation in WoR and the spern bond can can be used to desirer the pattern. so what do you guys think 

12 minutes ago, Branderson said:

so light weavers have control over wave forms like light and sound so could they make radio transitions. it not as farfetched as it first seems radio was have more in comin with light than sound does (there both electromagnetic waves) and we know that the sergebinding can fill in some gaps like Vails in walking animation in WoR and the spern bond can can be used to desirer the pattern. so what do you guys think 

Well reasoned.  I agree.  However radio is not much use without radio receivers.  In the cosmere future this could be awesome though both for sending transmissions and jamming enemy ones.  Personally I think microwaves would be more useful day to day.  Imagine not having to get up and go to the microwave to make popcorn!

It's not farfetched at all. As Karger said, it won't be useful until later, but it's definitely doable. For example... 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

[Discussion of Lightweavers manipulating other forms of electromagnetic radiation]

But the ultimate form (That Brandon said would be too much to be practical both in needed stormlight and application) would be the control of Gamma Radiation. If this could be harnessed, Lightweavers could literally become mini nukes, or death guns. The biggest downside to making Gamma radiation would be the damage the lightweaver would most likely suffer. So gamma radiation is impractical but its a fun thought experiment. 

The best part of this whole speculation was how excited Brandon was about my train of thought. I don't know if anyone had brought up this train of thought before. But he was happy to remind me that things will get pretty interesting when Lightweavers discover lasers and start using them in combat.

Miscellaneous 2016 (July 3, 2016)

This is a theory I've had about Lightweaving for a long time, and there is an important point that must be remembered: Cryptics (and maybe Truthwatcher spren) really like patterns, and are good at decoding them. Lightweavers should act as mobile radio transmitters and receivers, the spren encoding and decoding the message.

7 hours ago, Ixthos said:

This is a theory I've had about Lightweaving for a long time, and there is an important point that must be remembered: Cryptics (and maybe Truthwatcher spren) really like patterns, and are good at decoding them. Lightweavers should act as mobile radio transmitters and receivers, the spren encoding and decoding the message.

I wouldnt think it too much harder than decoding the stormlight pulse-language used on the gem archive, assuming their senses can detect that part of the EM spectrum.  Which could go either way, methinks; they dont have eyes but they are still based on and shaped by Human perception to a large extent, so they might be stuck with a sense capability similar to what Human's are used to experiencing, and rosharan's dont even have a concept of radio-waves.    Get them to the electronic Age (or trading with Scadrial) and that could easily change though.  

7 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I think they would need a radio receiver they don't have "nature senses" as Syl notes but that really should not be a problem for a soulcaster.  They are so easy to make that 12 year old me did it IRL.

@Quantus It would get harder if one of them is steaming what they are seeing and hearing, so one is scouting an area and relaying everything they can see to another to lightweave into the image for everyone to see. They probably don't know about radio and lasers right now, but when Era 4 happens I doubt we won't see at least some of that. The Lightweaver sensing the waves, while the spren acts as a decoder or encoder.

@Karger That is a possible issue, but the full extent of Lightweaving hasn't been shown, and so maybe a part of the surge lets them do it. Maybe voidbinding would let them do this, but otherwise I think Lightweavers and Truthwatchers can probably sense EM as well, especially if Truthwatcher's powers mainly manifest as sensing.

Just now, Ixthos said:

@Quantus It would get harder if one of them is steaming what they are seeing and hearing, so one is scouting an area and relaying everything they can see to another to lightweave into the image for everyone to see. They probably don't know about radio and lasers right now, but when Era 4 happens I doubt we won't see at least some of that. The Lightweaver sensing the waves, while the spren acts as a decoder or encoder.

Oh, 100% agree, the barrier now is mostly their relative lack of understanding.  Also, Cooperation could solve some of the difficulties.  The part about one scouting and relaying it to another who makes a display sounds exactly like how Shallan's Warmap spell works, with Dalinar Connecting her to the Stormfather's perceptions.  

6 hours ago, Ixthos said:

That is a possible issue, but the full extent of Lightweaving hasn't been shown, and so maybe a part of the surge lets them do it. Maybe voidbinding would let them do this, but otherwise I think Lightweavers and Truthwatchers can probably sense EM as well, especially if Truthwatcher's powers mainly manifest as sensing.

Maybe.  I find myself slightly skeptical.

Let's not forget that there are those suspicious 'window ' panes in the Main Urithiru Council Chamber.  Many have speculated that they resemble TV screens. It's possible that the lighweavers did act go betweens in command and control while battling on 100 mile long fronts such as that spren (forgot his name) described to Venli.

• Chaos locked this topic