What is your Wildest Cosmere Theory??

Lunu’anaki

11 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I both love and hate this so much. I would KILL to see Vin and Elend again, although I don't think they'd currently like how they fit into mythology and society. And given the technology upgrade may come with quite the learning curve. 

That being said, I could see a plot for it. Harmony figures out how to bring back one from the Spiritual Realm, something Hoid may have been trying to do since Dragonsteel. As such Hoid figures that he needs to gain Harmony's power either by splintering the shard and keeping the vessel alive, or becoming a new host for the shard and using his extreme amount of Investiture to anchor him against the corruption of the Intent. Kelsier doesn't want this to happen to Harmony and doesn't want Hoid to win, so he fights Hoid in an epic, space-opera trilogy. ...yeah, it's a little weird and would never happen, but that's how I could see it going!

I think I could see them being reborn into a world that has moved beyond them and struggling to find their place in society. I could see them leaving Scadrial because their story HAS been told and going somewhere else where their talents will be far more necessary. Their story will be one of the struggle for identity, rather than the struggle for survival.

It could work. I hope it works, because Vin is my favourite Cosmere character and I hate the fact that she gets used and then 'discarded' because her 'story has been told'. Their deaths have always left me feeling odd because the story has a happy ending but their end has always felt off to me for some reason.

Sazed's words about bringing them back was most likely to hint at the possibility but I don't think Brandon would place something like that in his book to tease us, and then never deliver on it (or at least provide closure to it once and for all).

I'm holding on for hope though, it will happen, no uncertainty here, not a bit...

13 hours ago, Crimson_Russ said:

It could work. I hope it works, because Vin is my favourite Cosmere character and I hate the fact that she gets used and then 'discarded' because her 'story has been told'. Their deaths have always left me feeling odd because the story has a happy ending but their end has always felt off to me for some reason.

This is how Brandon put it when asked why he killed them:

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Why did you have to kill Vin and Elend?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They demanded that they be allowed to take the chance they did. And I just let them take the chance. I didn't kill them, I just let them take the chance that they demanded that I let them take. That's kind of a cop-out answer, I'm sorry, but that's what it feels like to me. And if I always make it so that there are no consequences, then the books have no heart.

I’m not so sure I love the idea of Vin and Elend coming back. I mean, at the end of Secret History Brandon talks about the dangerous trope of character resurrection. I agree with him that Kelsier had more of a story, but Vin and Elend? Honestly, it seemed like their story arcs were done.

Alright, here are a few theories, in order of stupidness, lowest to highest:

1. Spook is still living. Kelsier talks to him at the end of Secret History about working together to “find another string,” or something like that. Wouldn’t it also make sense that Spook gets something out of the deal?
  2. At some point, Marsh becomes a Worldhopper. I’ll go so far as to say that he’ll be seen in places other than Mistborn eras 3 and 4 in the future... I’m excited for that one.
  3. Alright, here’s the crazy one: Lift and Wayne meet somehow, (maybe with Kelsier) and they start a Worldhopping gang. This is the one I’m most excited about. Lift and Wayne, guys. Come on!

EDIT: also, Yolen has/had a base-16 number system (shattering of adonalsium, etc. We’ve heard so much about the importance of the number 16 in Mistborn it seems a waste not to have at least one planet with a base-16 number system, giving more credence to the number.)

Edited by thebubblesarealie

2 hours ago, thebubblesarealie said:
  • At some point, Marsh becomes a Worldhopper. I’ll go so far as to say that he’ll be seen in places other than Mistborn eras 3 and 4 in the future... I’m excited for that one.

The only way that that wouldn't happen is if he dies of old age.

Just now, thebubblesarealie said:

What do you think about the Lift and Wayne Worldhopping thieving gang? I think it would be hilarious to see them together. 

I don't know if it would happen. Remember, at the time that Wayne lives, Lift is about 50-60 years old. It would be awesome to see them together though.

On 4/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, Nameless said:

I don't know if it would happen. Remember, at the time that Wayne lives, Lift is about 50-60 years old. It would be awesome to see them together though.

They would be about the same age. Mb Era 2 takes place in the 15-20 year gap between SA5 and 6. Assuming no crazy time skip between books 4 and 5, (and she ages completely normally) she would be ~30 by the time SA 6 rolls around, which would put her slightly younger than wayne, but they could still be well within optimal theiving age ranges.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2019-11-11 at 5:33 PM, teknopathetic said:

Spoilers All Series, but I am POSITIVE I know the fate of Roshar

Hide contents

The vision of Roshar being destroyed is the "hidden ending" Brandon said is located somewhere in the first two books. The people of Roshar will become refugees who flee to Nalthis. Maybe Odium wins and Roshar is destroyed (for human-life anyway), or maybe Cultivation wins by destroying Roshar itself. Who knows. But the planet is doomed. 

Proof

1. Brandon wouldn't give the same ending to multiple main series
    a. Sel - Post Shardic Defeat 
    b. Nalthis - Shard unimpeded
    c. Scadrial     - Shards battling and merge; Hero's save the day last minute
    d. Roshar - seeing a shard taken down ; Heros fail. 

2. Themes
   a. Stormlight is all about refugees
   b. Seeing the Humans become refugees again would fit the moral arc of the series thus far
   c. The Iriali believe there will be another great migration

3. Warbreaker is a Necessary Prequel to Stormlight Accoring to Brandon
    a. Nalthis is the next closest planet in the Cognitive realm
    b. Brandon said Nalthis has a customs agency (refugee status?)
    c. The main characters now have some idea of Nalthis being nearby and filled with humans
    d. Vivenna and Vasher could aid their refugee petition

4. WOB
   a. When I asked Brandon about this on reddit, he said "..."    

this is actually scaring me

On 23/04/2020 at 5:45 PM, thebubblesarealie said:

If Hoid looks like he’s constantly in his 20s, why can’t Lift? Also, that’s why it’s a wild theory.

I believe Hoids agelessness (immortality) is similar to the returned agelessness. They die and become Cognitve Shadows then return with a measure of shardic power (similar to Kelsier)

On 23/04/2020 at 5:45 PM, thebubblesarealie said:

If Hoid looks like he’s constantly in his 20s, why can’t Lift? Also, that’s why it’s a wild theory.

Wild theory: Lift is already dead!

shes a Roshari version of the returned. She converts food to investiture and needs it to sustain herself. Her boon was to not get old. Returned age to their prime. Lift can’t count doesn’t mean she isn’t ageing (to a point) 

59 minutes ago, AceGambit said:

6th of dusk???

Thats what i was thinking

In another WoB(i cant cant find it) Brandon said he doesnt want to write the sequel to it yet because it has spoilers for other Series. He then mentioned the Stormlight Archive. I think he just used that series as a “what if”

the WoB made it seem as if he didnt even know whether or not it had spoilers for Stormlight Archive

so its certainly possible 

Koh-the-Face-Stealer

So ever since I read your various tantalizing tit-bits about the Iriali being not native to Roshar, I've been incredibly curious about this especially considering that the other humans of Roshar all originate from a different singular source, Ashyn (unless there were more migrations that I'm forgetting). Are we going to get more info on this in the near future? Is there anything, even a tiny crumb, that you could possibly drop for us now?

Brandon Sanderson

The Iriali story is one you should expect to be continued during the space age of the cosmere, not in current storylines.

Leather_Kiwi

What about characters who are interested with cosmology in current storylines? Like Dalinar who certainly wants to seek answers about the universe. Do you plan to write more of it in future novels of current series or this is a stuff for future series with defferent set of characters?

Brandon Sanderson

The further we move in the Cosmere, the more these stories will become relevant. We're moving from the world of them just being cameos into the world of them being small (but important) sub-plots. They will evolve from there.

General Reddit 2019 (May 28, 2019)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Alright my outlandish theory is that the Unmade aren’t “of Odium” but they do currently serve him. They are actually the largest splinters of Ambition, Devotion, and Dominion. That’s why only some of them are sentient. Sja-Anat is the remaining cognitive essence of Ambition and wants to gather the other pieces of herself to mend her shard, and a 4th shard could enter the Roshar fray. 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:25 AM, AceGambit said:

Wild theory: Lift is already dead!

shes a Roshari version of the returned. She converts food to investiture and needs it to sustain herself. Her boon was to not get old. Returned age to their prime. Lift can’t count doesn’t mean she isn’t ageing (to a point) 

I think in one of the released readings from RoW, Lift is keeping track of her growth and has grown an inch since last time. So she’s clearly growing and aging, maybe just not as fast. Or it could be like Dalinar, she stopped for a time but now Cultivation feels it’s time for her to continue aging. 

Alright, here goes. @Fractalfire asked for someone to disprove this post  

On 11/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, teknopathetic said:

Reveal hidden contents

The vision of Roshar being destroyed is the "hidden ending" Brandon said is located somewhere in the first two books. The people of Roshar will become refugees who flee to Nalthis. Maybe Odium wins and Roshar is destroyed (for human-life anyway), or maybe Cultivation wins by destroying Roshar itself. Who knows. But the planet is doomed. 

Proof

2. Themes
   b. Seeing the Humans become refugees again would fit the moral arc of the series thus far

c. The main characters now have some idea of Nalthis being nearby and filled with humans

4. WOB

I can't do that, but I can provide an alternative. The oathpact is coming back. When the first oathpact was formed, Honor essentially took ten super powerful Radiants and made them the pillars of the prison that Odium was contained in. What do we have in the Stormlight books? Ten Super powerful and honorable Radiants. But Honor is dead, right? In theory, since Dalinar is weilding Honor's power, he could reform the oathpact. Finally, the Shin have the Herald's blades. 

P.S.-what is Dalinar's blade called again

PPS. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Because of all these things, I think that the ending will be all the characters choosing to sacrifice themselves on behalf of Roshar, and the re-sealing of Odium.

6 hours ago, Eugenides said:

Alright, here goes. @Fractalfire asked for someone to disprove this post  

I can't do that, but I can provide an alternative. The oathpact is coming back. When the first oathpact was formed, Honor essentially took ten super powerful Radiants and made them the pillars of the prison that Odium was contained in. What do we have in the Stormlight books? Ten Super powerful and honorable Radiants. But Honor is dead, right? In theory, since Dalinar is weilding Honor's power, he could reform the oathpact. Finally, the Shin have the Herald's blades. 

P.S.-what is Dalinar's blade called again

PPS. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Because of all these things, I think that the ending will be all the characters choosing to sacrifice themselves on behalf of Roshar, and the re-sealing of Odium.

Here goes my attempt to disprove your disproval, for one simple reason.

Sealing Odium isn't a permanent solution. Storms, I don't even know if there IS a permanent solution that doesn't involve tempering the Shard Odium with other Shards, like Honor or Cultivation. Per the Letters, "He is God's divine hatred, separated from the virtues that give it context." (emphasis added)

So even Shattering Odium could be a bad thing, spreading un-directed ("vessel-less") Odious investiture throughout Roshar, or the Cosmere, who knows. It must be tempered with those "virtues that give it context". Honor would be a great thing to temper "hatred" or "emotion" with. A self-imposed code of rules. Sounds almost exactly like what a Dustbringer might be like. (Malata, I'm looking at you.)

So, no, I personally don't believe an Oathpact II, Electric Boogaloo will be the be-all, end-all solution of the Stormlight Archives.

Crackpot addon; "Unite them" is referring to Honor and Odium, not just the splinters of Honor.

Crackpot theory created at 12:48 last night:

Fainlife is what killed Adonalsium. I don’t know how, but it somehow broke him up into 16 pieces. Somewhere along the way, because of using it to much, Hoid was infected. He managed to control it, and for some reason it granted him immortality. That’s why his hair is white now, and it fits with the WoB stating that parts of the weapon used to kill Adonalsium grants Hoid immortality.

I am so pleased everyone is trying to disprove my Roshar is doomed theory!

There could be nothing more "journey before destination" than letting the planet burn because the only way to save the planet would be wrong (suckling babe, perhaps?)

That's my second horrifying theory: Odium will appoint a baby as his champion, causing Dalinar to forfeit. Danilar (or someone) won't be able to cut its throat despite everyone wanting him to, and despite doing so letting the planet survive. 

Edited by teknopathetic

On 11/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, teknopathetic said:

Reveal hidden contents

Proof

2. Themes

4. WOB

No! I really hope not :o

Wouldn't that be hard though if we're going to have Knights Radiant in the future?

Relevant WOB:

OrangeJedi (paraphrased)

Are there a significant number of Shardblades that have made it off Roshar?

Define significant.

OrangeJedi (paraphrased)

More than 1 / A number of them are that could come up later.

There is a connection between spren and Roshar that normally prevents spren, even dead ones, from leaving the planet. Note I said normally; do not imagine a large trade of Shardblades going off world.

Miscellaneous 2018 (Oct. 25, 2018)

So Team Radiant probably couldn't leave with their spren...

21 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

Odium will appoint a baby as his champion, causing Dalinar to forfeit. Danilar (or someone) won't be able to cut its throat despite everyone wanting him to, and despite doing so letting the planet survive. 

Welcome to the "Baby is Odium's Champion Theory" club! It's not a fun place, but at least we have Death Rattles to back us up!