Lunu’anaki

What is your Wildest Cosmere Theory??

176 posts in this topic

What is your most insane, ridiculous, or otherwise unfounded Cosmere theory that you just can't get out of your head?

 

I'll start:

Hoid's gift to be where he needs to is an attempt by Adonalsium to have Hoid gather a bit of every shards investiture and prime him as a Vessel for every shard at once. Hoid will become Hoidonalsium.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adonalsium wasn't one-of-a-kind. The Cosmere is one small star cluster. There are other galaxies, galaxy clusters, galaxy superclusters. There are other such beings. So, Rayse? Good luck being "top dog"

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of worst nightmare, but time traveling with metals. Not seeing another time, moving in time

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has to do with White Sand and Autonomy:

Skathan and Heelis were both created by Autonomy. They are, in fact, the most powerful persons on their respective side, and they are both opposites of each other in many ways - for example this one: Skathan's original name in the prose was Scythe, which could allude to a crescent moon, while Heelis sounds like Helios, the Greek sun god. In consequence, both have (mythologically opposite) celestial bodies as their shared theme, which fits Trell who is generally associated with the stars. Both try to achieve Autonomy by different means: Skathan by forcefully isolating nations, Heelis by cultivating individualism e.g. by making the Diem prove itself, making Ais make a decision on its own (instead of just following the hate that her religion prescribes). Then Patji is obviously another avatar who is not associated with celestial bodies at all but with islands, but he has that seperate theme because he wasn't created on Taldain. If Investiture on Taldain is formed, it might make the avatars lean towards a celestial theme because of how important the distinct and special astrological condition of the system is to the planet. First of the Sun, however, is a water planet, so the avatar formed of its Investiture associates with another theme.

I think it fits together nicely, but there's no actual evidence for it anyway.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Jeffery Epstein killed himself.

 

I'm sorry, when I first read the title, I thought it said "What is your Wildest Conspiracy Theory".

 

I think Dalinar or Sazed will become the new Adonalsium.  Probably Dalinar, as I think the "Unite Them" refers to the Shards, not the Alethi or Rosharans or Honor's Shards in particular.  

 

I think Odium will find a way to kill Cultivation before the end, shattering her.  Dalinar will become Unity, and he will take up the pieces of Cultivation, Uniting them with Honor (Unity) to create something more powerful than Sayzed's Harmony, because his two pieces are not diametrically opposed.  Maybe he would be called "Community".  Binding and Growth combined.

Odium is going to be facing two Shards who have collected two Shards each, and so he will be scared.  I think Series two will be Odium finally deciding that if he is to beat them, he needs to combine shards.  I'm guessing the one that makes the most sense for him to take would be Ambition, since he already shattered that one.  He just needs to take its shards.  Odium and Ambition = Destruction?  Judgement?  That will be the end of the second series.  

 

The Third Mistborn will be a cosmic crossover, so I'm thinking Sayzed and Dalinar will try to figure out a way to separate Dominion and Devotion, and each will get one.  Dalinar will get Dominion, Sazed will get Devotion.  Dalinar will have Dominion, Cultivation, and Honor/Unity, and will become Authority.  Sazed will have Preservation, Ruin and Devotion, and will become Creation. 

 

Then its up to the other Shards at that point.  They'll all likely oppose Odium, but some may actually oppose Sazed and Dalinar.  

 

And as an addendum to my original thought, in the end, at the final scene, Dalinar is mortally wounded, Sazed is dying, Odium is shattering, all the other Shards are shattered, and Kelsior will walk up and snag them all and become Adonalsium.  

Edited by Tglassy
13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cosmere exists in Brandon's head and Hoid is the small part of him that has gone insane.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoid is like a priest of Adonalsium, and potentially it's Cognitive Shadow was imprinted on him in much the same way as the Mists or The Stormfather were/are Cognitive Shadows of Preservation and Honor respectively. He has lost his God, and is looking for some true spark of Divinity ever since.

Nightblood uses an Endowment-Ruin copied version of Voidish Division (the way Nightblood destroys the spirit of something has similarities to how Amaram is consumed by Yelig-nar).

That to the Nightwatcher Life is change. So when Lift asked her to not change, to the Nightwatcher it meant anathema - how can something live and also not change? So her solution was to make her like a Cognitive Shadow, but one that never died, and is still alive. This is what makes Lift something that should not exist naturally.

Edited by asmodeus
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You want ridiculous?! I'll give you ridiculous! 

(quoting myself from a previous post)

Quote

This one’s crazy, but it’s been a pet theory of mine ever since I cooked it up. I never shared it because it’s pure insanity, though strangely enough I originally believed it was legitimate for a few seconds until I thought through it more thoroughly. 

Rayse isn’t Odium’s vessel, at least currently. He gave it up prior to the expulsion from Ashyn to someone who he knew would serve his interests, and hid the exchange from people who actually knew him, which is why Hoid still believes he is Odium’s vessel. And then, Rayse infiltrated Honor’s own chosen heroes. That’s right, Rayse is a herald. Or to be more specific, Taln. That’s how he was able to kill Tanavast. As an insider, he was able to provide the current holder of Odium with an opportunity to shatter Honor. And then while the heralds thought he was being tortured on Braize, he was instead in a hot tub drinking martinis.

 

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoid will write the first Wax and Wayne comic, titled: "Wax and Wayne, the rise and fall of Waxillium Dawnshot" and it will become a Scadrial test for worldhoppers.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Honorless said:

Adonalsium wasn't one-of-a-kind. The Cosmere is one small star cluster. There are other galaxies, galaxy clusters, galaxy superclusters. There are other such beings. So, Rayse? Good luck being "top dog"

I like this a lot. 16 shards not enough? How about 32?! 

7 hours ago, Tglassy said:

That Jeffery Epstein killed himself.

 

I'm sorry, when I first read the title, I thought it said "What is your Wildest Conspiracy Theory".

 

I think Dalinar or Sazed will become the new Adonalsium.  Probably Dalinar, as I think the "Unite Them" refers to the Shards, not the Alethi or Rosharans or Honor's Shards in particular.  

 

I think Odium will find a way to kill Cultivation before the end, shattering her.  Dalinar will become Unity, and he will take up the pieces of Cultivation, Uniting them with Honor (Unity) to create something more powerful than Sayzed's Harmony, because his two pieces are not diametrically opposed.  Maybe he would be called "Community".  Binding and Growth combined.

Odium is going to be facing two Shards who have collected two Shards each, and so he will be scared.  I think Series two will be Odium finally deciding that if he is to beat them, he needs to combine shards.  I'm guessing the one that makes the most sense for him to take would be Ambition, since he already shattered that one.  He just needs to take its shards.  Odium and Ambition = Destruction?  Judgement?  That will be the end of the second series.  

 

The Third Mistborn will be a cosmic crossover, so I'm thinking Sayzed and Dalinar will try to figure out a way to separate Dominion and Devotion, and each will get one.  Dalinar will get Dominion, Sazed will get Devotion.  Dalinar will have Dominion, Cultivation, and Honor/Unity, and will become Authority.  Sazed will have Preservation, Ruin and Devotion, and will become Creation. 

 

Then its up to the other Shards at that point.  They'll all likely oppose Odium, but some may actually oppose Sazed and Dalinar.  

 

And as an addendum to my original thought, in the end, at the final scene, Dalinar is mortally wounded, Sazed is dying, Odium is shattering, all the other Shards are shattered, and Kelsior will walk up and snag them all and become Adonalsium.  

That sounds totally epic!!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is partially theory and partially meme:

In Era 4, there will be more Fullborn, whether natural or artificial or hemalurgic (yes, I am drawing that distinction.) They will be the Cosmere equivalents of Kryptonians. Basically seen as essentially gods, and taking positions as heroes or tyrants. I also think there might be a way for them to travel unaided in space via some method of tricking momentum with time-bubbles, but I'm not willing to die on that hill.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

This is partially theory and partially meme:

In Era 4, there will be more Fullborn, whether natural or artificial or hemalurgic (yes, I am drawing that distinction.) They will be the Cosmere equivalents of Kryptonians. Basically seen as essentially gods, and taking positions as heroes or tyrants. I also think there might be a way for them to travel unaided in space via some method of tricking momentum with time-bubbles, but I'm not willing to die on that hill.

Honestly by the time era 4 happens I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple "bands of mourning" types of Unsealed Metalminds, capable of granting someone super-charged fullborn power for multiple hours on a full charge. Maybe the distribution of these is part of the plot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Honestly by the time era 4 happens I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple "bands of mourning" types of Unsealed Metalminds, capable of granting someone super-charged fullborn power for multiple hours on a full charge. Maybe the distribution of these is part of the plot.

It would definitely be interesting if they become almost like a more tactical nuke. You need to destroy the military population of a city, without casualties to property or civilians, so you give one of your soldiers a mini-mourning device, and drop them into city with a supply of metals, and give them an hour to clear the city of military personnel, knowing they can do it. The biggest problem would be if they have one of their own, which would likely lead to complete destruction within a several mile radius.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

Spoilers All Series, but I am POSITIVE I know the fate of Roshar

  Reveal hidden contents

The vision of Roshar being destroyed is the "hidden ending" Brandon said is located somewhere in the first two books. The people of Roshar will become refugees who flee to Nalthis. Maybe Odium wins and Roshar is destroyed (for human-life anyway), or maybe Cultivation wins by destroying Roshar itself. Who knows. But the planet is doomed. 

Proof

1. Brandon wouldn't give the same ending to multiple main series
    a. Sel - Post Shardic Defeat 
    b. Nalthis - Shard unimpeded
    c. Scadrial     - Shards battling and merge; Hero's save the day last minute
    d. Roshar - seeing a shard taken down ; Heros fail. 

2. Themes
   a. Stormlight is all about refugees
   b. Seeing the Humans become refugees again would fit the moral arc of the series thus far
   c. The Iriali believe there will be another great migration

3. Warbreaker is a Necessary Prequel to Stormlight Accoring to Brandon
    a. Nalthis is the next closest planet in the Cognitive realm
    b. Brandon said Nalthis has a customs agency (refugee status?)
    c. The main characters now have some idea of Nalthis being nearby and filled with humans
    d. Vivenna and Vasher could aid their refugee petition

 4. WOB
   a. When I asked Brandon about this on reddit, he said "..."    

 

 

This theory is terrifyingly plausible sounding.

If I were an author I would want to make my readers grow to love the world itself and then show them how it died. I always thought would be extra horrifying if we had gotten to know Alderaan before it was destroyed...

Even the fact that the Herald's viewpoints are saved for books 5-10 makes sense! They were refugees and their viewpoints would fit into a post-apocalypse story nicely, as a comparison. 

You win Most Horrifying Theory. 

Now someone please disprove it quickly, for my sanity...

10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were more than 16 people working to shatter Adonalsium. So when the shattering happened, it became a free for all among them to ascend to a shard. Hoid possibly started to ascend to one, but he was there with a loved one who was killed in the free for all. Hoid stops ascending or trying to and now his goal (as implied by The Traveller) is to bring that person back from the beyond.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I have to pick one? 

No! Please. Go all out :lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A while ago for fun, I decided to imagine that Yolen was actually a future version of Earth (despite Brandon confirming that Earth isn’t part of the cosmere) and that Adonalsium was the internet. Not exactly sure how you can shatter the internet though :huh:. I even came up with what some of the shards represented. Some of them don’t really make sense but oh well.


Endowment = online shopping (I mean, when you buy stuff it’s similar... well... umm... it was more logical in my mind)

Odium = trolling and just all of the hatred on the internet (no wonder Hoid is so scared of him)

Ruin = viruses? (I didn’t really know what to put here


If Wisdom is a shard, then Wisdom would represent the knowledge stored on the internet.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The Awakened Salad said:

A while ago for fun, I decided to imagine that Yolen was actually a future version of Earth (despite Brandon confirming that Earth isn’t part of the cosmere) and that Adonalsium was the internet. Not exactly sure how you can shatter the internet though :huh:. I even came up with what some of the shards represented. Some of them don’t really make sense but oh well.


Endowment = online shopping (I mean, when you buy stuff it’s similar... well... umm... it was more logical in my mind)

Odium = trolling and just all of the hatred on the internet (no wonder Hoid is so scared of him)

Ruin = viruses? (I didn’t really know what to put here


If Wisdom is a shard, then Wisdom would represent the knowledge stored on the internet.

 

I like the core of this idea. The cosmere sometimes feels like a video game, or a virtual reality simulation, especially when it comes to the magic and things like the Cognitive realm! If Adonalsium were the Internet, it would explain how he was the god of such a thing.

There is an incredible sci-fi short story that follows the development of artificial intelligence throughout time until the AI becomes so powerful that it consumes the entirety of the universe. The story ends with the AI starting the Big Bang and creating the universe again, from the beginning, exactly as it was before. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of the story or find it on google :(

Your idea reminds me of that!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

There is an incredible sci-fi short story that follows the development of artificial intelligence throughout time until the AI becomes so powerful that it consumes the entirety of the universe. The story ends with the AI starting the Big Bang and creating the universe again, from the beginning, exactly as it was before. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of the story or find it on google :(

I believe that's The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. (His work was a huge inspiration for the Cosmere as a whole, so Brandon is probably aware of that story as well!)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Elegy said:

I believe that's The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. (His work was a huge inspiration for the Cosmere as a whole, so Brandon is probably aware of that story as well!)

Yes! That’s the one. Thank you!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wildest Current Theory:  That Endowment Created/Invented the Returned using the Heralds as a template (or vice verse).  Then she sent  arranged for Returned to visit Roshar, who helped the Local Spren develop the Radiant Orders (note the Five Ideals, which is Endowment/Nalthis's magic number).  Later she sent another wave of Returned (the Five Scholars) to Roshar to use the Radiant Shardblades as a template for Nightblood.  All this was made possible by a complicit (if not actively coordinating) Cultivation, with the ultimate goal of creating Nightblood (ie Chekhov's Shardblade), a weapon conceived by mortals (giving the other Shards deniability) that is capable of defeating a Shard Vessel.  

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.