Wit is literally the most powerful character... So why isn't he doing anything against Odium?

Eugenides

11 hours ago, Eugenides said:

True, Wit is nothing compared to Odium himself, but could Wit not destroy a bunch of voidbringers, then pop into shadesmar? 

There are a few problems with this. First, as has been mentioned, He cannot hurt ANYBODY. That includes voidbringers.

Secondly, as far as I know, Hoid does not have a method by which to "pop into shadesmar" at will. At least not before the end of Oathbringer. In SH and Elantris he uses a perpendicularity to transfer between realms.

Third and most importantly, It would not align with his goals. Hoid has gone to great lengths to avoid odium's attention. Just coming to Roshar in the first place was a huge risk. He hates Rayse and would love to end his plans, but if it gets in the way of his goals, he will not take action.

10 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I knew about him not being able to hurt people, but I don't remember this part. Could you refresh my memory?

A Budgie (paraphrased)

So, Hoid can't physically hurt someone, but does this ban extend to mental harm and harm through inaction?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Hoid can mentally hurt someone, or allow them to be hurt, but when considering physical trauma he gets nauseous, to the point he can be incapacitated

Supanova 2017 - Perth (June 25, 2017)

But also Hoid says he is "terribly ineffective" at harming people in WoR Chapter 45. I was misremembering where the information came from, and that's on me, My bad.

13 hours ago, The traveller said:

I think a shard can kill him easily or really hurt him, trap him, then prevent him from achieving his larger goal, whatever that is, but it is most important to him, and like he has said he will not risk anything that will jeopardise his goal....

I don't think a shard can nominate themselves as a champion.  The entire point of a battle of champions is generally to fight by proxy.

13 hours ago, Invocation said:

What does that matter? He can't dish anything out, just tank semi-infinitely. There's probably a point where he'll die, since even his massive amount of healing probably can't keep up with being atomized, or similar levels of damage. 

Depending on the rules he could just leave Roshar thus achieving permanent stalemate. 

Edited by Karger

14 minutes ago, Karger said:
14 hours ago, The traveller said:

I don't think a shard can nominate themselves as a champion.  The entire point of a battle of champions is generally to fight by proxy.

But @Karger I was not at all talking about the fight of champions, I was merely saying that Hoid has good reason to stay away from odium because even if Hoid were unkillable by a shard, which I doubt, there are other ways, which a shard would know, to hurt Hoid .....

22 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I was not at all talking about the fight of champions, I was merely saying that Hoid has good reason to stay away from odium because even if Hoid were unkillable by a shard, which I doubt, there are other ways, which a shard would know, to hurt Hoid .....

But its not like Hoid has to be present to become a champion.

57 minutes ago, The traveller said:

How is that going to work?

Dalinar nominates Hoid.  Hoid is not there but maybe he leaves a letter or something saying that he excepts the positions.  Odium goes crazy trying to find the guy.

Edited by Karger

Just now, RShara said:

Pretty sure in most contests like this, a time and date are agreed upon, and it's up to each side to make sure their champion appears. And if they don't appear, it's a forfeit.

It is not like we have the actual rules to work with here.

10 minutes ago, RShara said:

No, but it'd sure be weird if the opposing side were responsible for the other side's champion to show up.

Doesn't Dalinar say something like "with terms to be discussed" which would imply that if not specifically included nothing stops them?

Wit can't even physically harm himself. That's the entire reason he had to goad some poor schmuck into knocking his tooth out in the epilogue. 

Hoid is already doing everything he knows how to achieve his goals. Putting him. Into a fight that involves anyone connected to the Physical Realm is at best a draw. 

14 hours ago, Karger said:

Depending on the rules he could just leave Roshar thus achieving permanent stalemate. 

Even if this did work out without Hoid forfeiting, what exactly would a stalemate achieve? Odium would destroy Roshar as he’s currently in the process of doing anyways, right? He’s not gunna pause a war and wait around for Hoid for 3 million years.

38 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Even if this did work out without Hoid forfeiting, what exactly would a stalemate achieve? Odium would destroy Roshar as he’s currently in the process of doing anyways, right? He’s not gunna pause a war and wait around for Hoid for 3 million years.

@Lunu’anaki Agreed. 
In fact, I think such a stalemate is exactly what odium would want? We already know that he has agreed to the fight of champions and odium is going to be avoiding Dalinar, because he does not want the terms to be finalised.... 

so, this scenario, is in odiums favour. Dalinar would want the fight to happen actually..

5 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Depends.  If this is the only way Odium can get his freedom he might not have a choice.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

Depends.  If this is the only way Odium can get his freedom he might not have a choice.

Even if that's the case, he wouldn't just let everyone live happily ever after while he waited around for Hoid to pop back into the system. There would be conflict and destruction, it wouldn't be pretty.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:38 PM, Honorless said:

Shards are called gods in the Cosmere for a reason. As Wit himself notes, he has to hide from Odium.

And he is doing things to try and stop Odium. He did petition the Shards to help against Odium by the letters in Oathbringer.

Oh, why did you use that word? Now I have Jim Morrison's voice in my head on loop, intoning:

When I was back in seminary school, there was a wanderer who put forth the proposition that you can petitition the Shards with letters.

Petition the Shards. with letters.

Petition the Shards, with letters.

.... YOU CANNOT PETITION THE SHARDS, WITH LETTERS!!!

Can you give me sanctuary,
I must find a place to hide, a place for me to hide

Can you find me soft asylum, I can't make it any more
The Man is at the door.

• Chaos locked this topic