Wit is literally the most powerful character... So why isn't he doing anything against Odium?

Eugenides

Several reasons

1) He is physically incapable of harming others.

2) He may be powerful, but shards are nearly omnipotent. If he started taking serious action against odium, he would draw his attention, which is exactly what he is trying to avoid.

3) It may not align with his goals. as Hoid himself has stated, he will watch the world burn in order to achieve them, albeit with tears in his eyes.

4) For all we know he has been taking steps to counter Odium. We have seen very little of him throughout the series, and his intent as well as his actions have been kept mysterious. I don't think it's fair to say that he has done almost nothing to stop Odium because we do not have all of the facts.

1 hour ago, Eugenides said:

Spoilers from Secret history, warbreaker, and Stormlight

So, if Wit has all the powers of allomancy, all the powers of breath, and now some of the powers of a Radiant, why has he done almost nothing to stop Odium?

Shards are called gods in the Cosmere for a reason. As Wit himself notes, he has to hide from Odium.

And he is doing things to try and stop Odium. He did petition the Shards to help against Odium by the letters in Oathbringer.

13 minutes ago, Karger said:

Wait.  What if Shallan has Dalinar choose Wit as honor's champion?

He'd turn it down, probably. This is the guy who straight up said he'd be willing to let Roshar burn if it got him where he needed to be.

12 minutes ago, Eugenides said:

True, Wit is nothing compared to Odium himself, but could Wit not destroy a bunch of voidbringers, then pop into shadesmar? 

He can't hurt people. At all. Humans, no-go. Singers, no-go. Voidbringers, no-go. Dude can't hurt anyone.

Just now, The traveller said:

He was able to hurt Kelsier because he said Kelsier was a cognitive shadow.. So do you think that fused may be fair game?

Kelsier didn't have a body. The Fused do. If the Fused were hanging out in a purely Cognitive way, yes. But when they're attached to bodies, he'd be causing harm that the Cognitive exception doesn't apply to.

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Kelsier didn't have a body. The Fused do. If the Fused were hanging out in a purely Cognitive way, yes. But when they're attached to bodies, he'd be causing harm that the Cognitive exception doesn't apply to.

Yes good point.. you think he can harm unmades?

Just now, Karger said:

But he is also basically unkillable.

I think a shard can kill him easily or really hurt him, trap him, then prevent him from achieving his larger goal, whatever that is, but it is most important to him, and like he has said he will not risk anything that will jeopardise his goal....

Just now, The traveller said:

I don't think there's enough there of the Unmade to harm, honestly. Yelig-nar appears to look like a cloud of smoke in the CR, so not much he could do to him. Ashertmarn seems to have an actual Physical form, so not much he could do either. Re-shepir also manifests in the PR, so that's doubtful too. Moelach is unclear. I don't remember what the deal was with any of the rest of the Unmade, though, so I can't offer anything there.

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

But he is also basically unkillable.

What does that matter? He can't dish anything out, just tank semi-infinitely. There's probably a point where he'll die, since even his massive amount of healing probably can't keep up with being atomized, or similar levels of damage. 

Plus, his whole thing about not being able to harm people isn't a thing he keeps lightly, but something that actually physically threatens him if he even thinks of harming people, per what he said in OB. Being unkillable doesn't mean you'd want to antagonize stuff that causes you soul-pain constantly. 

I mean, who says Wit isn't doing anything to help against Odium? He gave Jasnah some useful information, gave Shallan a pep talk when she needed it, is trying to convince the other Shards to come and lend a hand, and who knows what else he's been doing off-screen. 

He just has to subtle about it because Odium would level cities to get at him if he ever managed to confirm Wit's location. 

36 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Plus, his whole thing about not being able to harm people isn't a thing he keeps lightly, but something that actually physically threatens him if he even thinks of harming people, per what he said in OB. Being unkillable doesn't mean you'd want to antagonize stuff that causes you soul-pain constantly. 

I knew about him not being able to hurt people, but I don't remember this part. Could you refresh my memory?

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

58 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I mean, the only reason he could beat up Kelsier was that he wasn't actually hurting Kelsier. Any "pain" that Kelsier experienced was just his mind convinced that it should feel pain. If he'd managed to convince himself that he wasn't getting hurt, he wouldn't have been. So Hoid really didn't do any harm whatsoever to Kelsier.

Actually i think he is doing something . Just his goals are bigger than stopping Odium . This is my opinion and not cannon so please don’t ask where I got this . I think Wit is trying to figure out a way to put Adonalsium back together .He told Jasnah he would watch her world destroyed if it meant he could reach his goals . But he does offer advice from time to time . Like when he told Azure about the aluminum . 

Another thing Hoid is ancient . He has seen so many people grow old and die he probably doesn’t think like mortals . When he offers advice it’s usuallu in the form of here is a clue figure it out and it may hello you in a way . 

He also is not a hero . But in the end I think Odium will get what’s coming to him if Hoid has anything to say about it.

First of I totally agree with @SzethIsBadAsHell he does have a plan and this all is probably part of it.

Second of all, having the biggest number of powers does not equal being the most powerful. Take Dalinar's "I am unity" moment, or Vin draw upon mists. In that moment if they met Hoid would he defeat them or not? I don't think it is that easy.

Besides maybe destroying Odium is not the best thing to do. Worlds with destroyed Shards don't look like they end up living in peace and quiet (Threnody).

3 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I knew about him not being able to hurt people, but I don't remember this part. Could you refresh my memory?

It's not from the books but from WoB:

A Budgie (paraphrased)

So, Hoid can't physically hurt someone, but does this ban extend to mental harm and harm through inaction?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Hoid can mentally hurt someone, or allow them to be hurt, but when considering physical trauma he gets nauseous, to the point he can be incapacitated

Supanova 2017 - Perth (June 25, 2017)

And Frost tries to keep him out of "interfering"

spencerpanger

Does Frost make any incognito appearences in any other books other than Dragonsteel? If so Book/chapter?

Brandon Sanderson

He does not appear on screen in any published books, though he is referenced. He has a non-Interference policy.

spencerpanger

Is this reference you are referring to in TWoK in form of a letter or does it show up elsewhere?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

General Twitter 2011 (Jan. 4, 2011)