VinDiesel

Kaladin's Slave Brands

7 posts in this topic

Why do you think Kaladin cannot heal or lightweave his slave brands? I wonder if it's because deep inside he doesn't actually want them to disappear, because it represents his bitterness and his painful past. Maybe it's like a metaphor for his harboring hatred for his oppressors, and they won't disappear until he lets that hate go. Idk. Opinions? 

I think It's because It has become so much a part of him his spiritwebb has changed to incorporate it.

Since it has to do with his perception of himself, then I think it was his guilt at getting his team killed and then failing to save the other slaves that made him feel as though he deserved the brand.

Asked and answered several times:

Questioner

I notice that Stormlight seems to be a bit volatile in how well it heals or who it heals. Because it seems like Renarin's eyesight would have been a long term problem, kinda like Rysn's legs maybe and Lopen's arm. But Lopen's arm got healed, Rysn's legs didn't and Kaladin's scars didn't. So I didn't know if there was a reason for those things.

Brandon Sanderson

So Stormlight healing, there's a couple things that have to be considered. But in reference to what you're saying, the person's perception of themselves is a huge part of it.  The way healing works in the cosmere is, you've got the three versions of yourself. You've got your Physical version, your Cognitive version, and your Spiritual version, And a lot of Stormlight is taking your Physical version and matching it to the Spiritual version which is your ideal self.  But it has to be filtered through the lens of your mind, and things like this.

I almost always--probably should say always--am using it to reinforce some sort of character attribute. The fact that Lopen never saw himself, even though he only had one arm, as being disabled, as a big influence, versus whether Kaladin feels deserves his brands or not. Does that makes sense?  And those are two very different things that influence how the healing works. And you will see that as a metaphor and theme, if you watch what heals and what doesn't.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

Questioner

Lopen's arm. In Stormlight, you cannot regrow if your brain-- your soul has accepted the change?

Brandon Sanderson

Perception is very important to this, yes.

Questioner

So is he just crazy enough to believe that he still had an arm?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it's more like, he never saw himself as being-- he saw himself as the person *inaudible* and not being disabled by what happened to him. It's not craziness, it's just a matter of perception. What you're running into Kaladin with his brands in particular is that he thinks he deserves them.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Questioner

Why doesn't the Stormlight heal Kaladin's slave brands?

Brandon Sanderson

Because, in the cosmere, most healing works by how you perceive yourself.

Calamity release party (Feb. 16, 2016)

Also, welcome to the Shard!

Yeah, I think it's going to be a big moment when Kaladin comes to the realization that he isn't a slave and all the pain in the world isn't on his shoulders, and then the shock of him realizing that his scars have healed.  

It's definitely because of how he views himself. He still sees himself as a slave but his desperate perception still hovers over him.

In addition to reasons above, in my head I always imagined it had to do with his choice to become a soldier instead of a healer against his father's wishes and the shame he feels from it, coupled with the guilt he feels at not being able to protect Tien after promising he would.  It's probably a leap in logic, but I suspect that one of his remaining oaths will hang on earning and accepting forgiveness from his father, and allowing him to forgive his self, resulting a level up and his slave brands to heal.

Edited by Solant
First time I've put that into words. Kinda proud of this one, haha