Kaladin's Slave Brands

VinDiesel

Why do you think Kaladin cannot heal or lightweave his slave brands? I wonder if it's because deep inside he doesn't actually want them to disappear, because it represents his bitterness and his painful past. Maybe it's like a metaphor for his harboring hatred for his oppressors, and they won't disappear until he lets that hate go. Idk. Opinions? 

On 11/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, VinDiesel said:

Why do you think Kaladin cannot heal or lightweave his slave brands? I wonder if it's because deep inside he doesn't actually want them to disappear, because it represents his bitterness and his painful past. Maybe it's like a metaphor for his harboring hatred for his oppressors, and they won't disappear until he lets that hate go. Idk. Opinions? 

First, let me say that I absolutely adore your username. It made me laugh.

I think it's more that he views them as a part of himself. Here's the best WoB I found.

Questioner

I notice that Stormlight seems to be a bit volatile in how well it heals or who it heals. Because it seems like Renarin's eyesight would have been a long term problem, kinda like Rysn's legs maybe and Lopen's arm. But Lopen's arm got healed, Rysn's legs didn't and Kaladin's scars didn't. So I didn't know if there was a reason for those things.

Brandon Sanderson

So Stormlight healing, there's a couple things that have to be considered. But in reference to what you're saying, the person's perception of themselves is a huge part of it.  The way healing works in the cosmere is, you've got the three versions of yourself. You've got your Physical version, your Cognitive version, and your Spiritual version, And a lot of Stormlight is taking your Physical version and matching it to the Spiritual version which is your ideal self.  But it has to be filtered through the lens of your mind, and things like this.

I almost always--probably should say always--am using it to reinforce some sort of character attribute. The fact that Lopen never saw himself, even though he only had one arm, as being disabled, as a big influence, versus whether Kaladin feels deserves his brands or not. Does that makes sense?  And those are two very different things that influence how the healing works. And you will see that as a metaphor and theme, if you watch what heals and what doesn't.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

He sees himself as a slave - lower than everyone else - a servant for everyone. I almost think these tendencies (self-sacrifice/serving) are part of what made him a windrunner. 

According to a different WoB, he still has his brands because he thinks he deserves them. 

*removed because it was long and irrelevant*

Questioner

So is he just crazy enough to believe that he still had an arm?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it's more like, he never saw himself as being-- he saw himself as the person *inaudible* and not being disabled by what happened to him. It's not craziness, it's just a matter of perception. What you're running into Kaladin with his brands in particular is that he thinks he deserves them.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

He thinks he deserves them because he carries the guilt for not being able to save Tien and then failing to save his squad. He has not forgiven himself for these failures but I think he has started that journey.. So, once he swears the fourth ideal, his slave brands should go away..

48 minutes ago, The traveller said:

He thinks he deserves them because he carries the guilt for not being able to save Tien and then failing to save his squad. He has not forgiven himself for these failures but I think he has started that journey.. So, once he swears the fourth ideal, his slave brands should go away..

I personally don't think they should.  The slave bands are a reminder of a leader's responsibility.  I don't want Kaladin to loose that.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I personally don't think they should.  The slave bands are a reminder of a leader's responsibility.  I don't want Kaladin to loose that.

39 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I think he will lose them.. 

I'm rooting for a little of both. That he heals away the slave brands, ... but retains the "shash".

9 hours ago, The traveller said:

I think in addition to that - he still views himself in some respects as a slave - a lowly person in society who is not deserving of praise.  I'm not sure if swearing the fourth ideal will make the brands go away, but it's definitely going to have to be some event where he can let go of his past and accept his new place in society.  I think that it's going to have to be something like reuniting with his family for the long term or finding (or starting his own) new family where he feels like he really belongs in society and has worth again like he did before he was made a slave.  I think forgiving himself is part of it, but not the only component of him losing his brands.

I wonder if he will ever lose them.  His time as a slave (and the cause of his slavery) has left a huge mental/emotional scar on Kaladin.  It feels to me like the slavery and everything leading up to his time in the bridge crews has left a deeper mark on him than Tien's death.  It felt like in his WoK flashbacks that he had found a way to deal with that grief.  I think it might be that he can't get rid of the brands and they stay as an outward sign of all the pain and loss he has experienced and that no matter what else changes that is always going to be the core of his personality.  It seems to fit with the character and his depression issues too.  Some days or even some months or years he may forget about it but it's still there.

• Chaos locked this topic