Silence and William Ann stepped through a field of mushrooms that glowed like the skulls of rats and broke silently beneath their feet.

Umm, what?

Why are rats' skulls glowing on Threnody? Has it become the Cosmere's Chernobyl?

This also makes glowpaste a bit suspicious. When I first read it, I took it to simply be bioluminescent or some kind of chemical reaction. But could it have been caused by Investiture?

Is Threnody's flora and fauna using Investiture like First of the Sun?

Edited by Honorless

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Is Threnody's flora and fauna using Investiture like First of the Sun?

If I had to place a bet on it, I'd say yes. It seems like Ambition's Investiture is doing a number of strange things to the planet!

Interesting find! I wonder if that means the glow and are the shape of rats or if they glow, and that description indicates that rats with glowing skulls are a normal phenomenon on Threnody??

5 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

If I had to place a bet on it, I'd say yes. It seems like Ambition's Investiture is doing a number of strange things to the planet!

Interesting find! I wonder if that means the glow and are the shape of rats or if they glow, and that description indicates that rats with glowing skulls are a normal phenomenon on Threnody??

Why was this sentence placed so inconspicuously?

I'm starting to wonder if Threnody's ecosystem, not just the Shades, are as innocuous as they seem when compared to the Shades...

Wait a minute, why are the mushrooms glowing in the first place?! Mushrooms aren't jellyfish!

So many other ecosystems are intertwined with Investiture, look at Roshar's cycle of Highstorms for instance, or the water vines and lichen on Dayside of Taldain; apparently Darkside of Taldain also has its Investiture tied into its ecology, possibly including humans given Khriss' comments on eye colour. On Sel, the Dor might be affecting the flora and fauna in some nations: Hrovell manifests its magic system as making of potions and is also where the Jeskeri Mysteries cult/religion is very popular.

6 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I think that the shardic fight around the system and ambition’s slow disintegration could have led to a lot of her investiture into leaking into the threnody slowly. It may be possible that a lot of natural stuff has got invested and is glowing. 

Edited by The traveller

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

I think that the shardic find around the system and ambition’s slow disintegration could have led to a lot of her investiture into leaking into the threnody slowly. It may be possible that a lot of natural stuff has got invested and is glowing. 

Investiture irradiation...

⚠ Mistborn: Secret History spoilers, also minor Stormlight & Elantris spoilers ⚠ 

Why isn't Sel irradiated though? It also houses dead Shards, is it related to how Odium locked them in the Cognitive? Or is the region-locked magic its version of getting Investiture irradiation? Why is Sel still doing so well despite having two Splinterings? Neither Threnody nor Roshar is doing so well, with one still being affected by Ambition's death and the other suffering through thousands of years of Desolations. According to WoB, if Kelsier was not around to hold Preservation after Leras' Cognitive Shadow died, Scadrial would have suffered greatly. The lack of any direct effect from the Splintering I can accept, maybe Odium finished the deed in the Cognitive or immediately locked the remnants in the Cognitive after killing Aona and Skai but why isn't there any evidence of a planet scale war? Same with Threnody, no evidence of any conflict (the Evil arrived much later), then again we don't have much information about it. Wait, there must have been some evidence of the conflict for Khriss to deduce what happened. Or there are people who still remember, also a possibility with the names of the various planets in the system and a certain comment from the Ire in Secret History. Who would the conflict be staged between on Sel, like on Roshar it was between the Humans (and Aimians) against the Singers. Was it waged between the continents on Sel? On each continent? Opelon doesn't have indications of such a conflict, except maybe that the city of Elantris and the land of Arelon was found uninhabited by its settlers (but that could also be the origin of the Ire! Who created Elantris then left the Physical Realm)... And both the Splinterings occurred way before in the timeline too...

Never mind, I ended up answering my own questions even as I typed them. I still posted it though, so anyone else who stumbles upon this thread and has the same questions could have some of their questions answered.

Edited by Honorless

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

r is the region-locked magic its version of getting Investiture irradiation?

I would say so but in this case the irradiation is slowly happening as compared to threnody.. 

As to the signs of this scale of war, you mean physical signs? I think on threnody we have not been much anywhere, may be the bigger continent.. the EVIL might be a result of it too.. 

On 11/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, The traveller said:

As to the signs of this scale of war, you mean physical signs? I think on threnody we have not been much anywhere, may be the bigger continent.. the EVIL might be a result of it too.. 

The Evil is probably another example of Investiture radiation caused by Ambition's Splintering, like the Shades.

I was referring to lack of evidence of any planetary scale conflicts like on Roshar. But then again, we see their planet a long time after Ambition's death, also maybe Odium just directly attacked her rather than conduct any Desolation like event. We do know that they battled in the space between the worlds. The theory of Odium subverting other Shards' Intents in order to Splinter them is just a theory... oh rusts! Moving fast, starting a fire, drawing blood  do sound anti-Ambition....

Edited by Honorless

The lack of desolations type events, no shattered plain type typography....That is why I had always thought that Sel and threnody happened much quickly, I never thought that he spent that much time there as he has on Roshar....

I thought he got wounded and decided to change tactics with Roshar, because he got wounded and realised he can not keep doing this and hope to survive....

The lack of desolations type events, no shattered plain type typography....That is why I had always thought that Sel and threnody happened much quickly, I never thought that he spent that much time there as he has on Roshar....

I thought he got wounded and decided to change tactics with Roshar, because he got wounded and realised he can not keep doing this and hope to survive....

We don't know how much time Odium spent on either Sel or Threnody but the Desolations on Roshar have been going on for thousands of years.

Yeah, I agree with this

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

We don't know how much time Odium spent on either Sel or Threnody but the Desolations on Roshar have been going on for thousands of years.

Thing is, Odium is trapped in Rosharan system. May be Desolations would also end much sooner. We don't know if he want to destroy Roshar, may be he just wants to be free and move on and Honor actually condemned Roshar to destruction by bounding Odium to its system. After all Honor doesn't always has to be right. 

12 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Thing is, Odium is trapped in Rosharan system. May be Desolations would also end much sooner. We don't know if he want to destroy Roshar, may be he just wants to be free and move on and Honor actually condemned Roshar to destruction by bounding Odium to its system. After all Honor doesn't always has to be right. 

Well, Odium specifically goes after Shards to kill them.

24 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Well, Odium specifically goes after Shards to kill them.

He kills shards but leaves the shardworld as they are. But now, he has expressed that he will be making significant changes to this realm, whatever that might entail, before leaving and will take cultivation out too.

So, honor did play the gambit and people of Roshar stand to loose much more than those on Sel or threnody if they should lose. 

10 minutes ago, The traveller said:

He kills shards but leaves the shardworld as they are. But now, he has expressed that he will be making significant changes to this realm, whatever that might entail, before leaving and will take cultivation out too.

So, honor did play the gambit and people of Roshar stand to loose much more than those on Sel or threnody if they should lose. 

exactly what I meant by that but said it much better

Don't let the people of Threnody hear you say that!

Plus found this interesting WoB:

AndrewStirlingMacDonald

Are there any animal Shades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

12 hours ago, The traveller said:

Yup that is possible too. 
I also like the idea that odium and ambition fought around threnody. And he got wounded which could mean some bits of him and ambition fell in threnody.. and together represent revenge or wrath which is how I see the shades behaving.. but pure speculation.. 

Good news, went and checked for WoBs and only found WoB that Odium hasn't left any of his Investiture on Sel, whether he left any on Threnody got a non-committal response

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2019 at 10:49 AM, Honorless said:

Good news, went and checked for WoBs and only found WoB that Odium hasn't left any of his Investiture on Sel, whether he left any on Threnody got a non-committal response

I think his Investiture is on Threnody along with ambitions. 

We know that the color red is usually a sign of corrupted/coopted Investiture.

A little theory of mine is that shades are of both Ambition and Odium and when the shades eyes turn red, when you break the simple rules, they are using both shards Investiture or something of the sort.

Feel free to poke holes in this. I just came up with it today:D

• 3 months later...
On 09/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, The Traveller said:

The lack of desolations type events, no shattered plain type typography....That is why I had always thought that Sel and threnody happened much quickly,

These catastrophes on Roshar predate Honor's splintering by thousands of years.

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

From Secret History we know that Threnody was a major player before the Evil came.

The conclusion that a splintering is necessarily a catastrophe has quite little support.

On 09/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, The Traveller said:

I never thought that he spent that much time there as he has on Roshar....

His stay in the Rosharan system is involuntary. We can conclude nothing from that.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

These catastrophes on Roshar predate Honor's splintering by thousands of years.

But were instigated in part by the same entity as on Sel & Threnody

Hide contents

From Secret History we know that Threnody was a major player before the Evil came.

Not necessarily. That was one line by Alonoe, for which we have little context. It's certainly one possible interpretation of it though.

The conclusion that a splintering is necessarily a catastrophe has quite little support.

Threnody doesn't seem to be doing so well

Plus this WoB:

Spoiler

Scadrial could've been severely affected if Kelsier wasn't there to hold Preservation in the interval

Herald (paraphrased)

What would have happened if Kelsier hasn't taken Preservation or later Sazed hasn't taken Ruin and Preservation powers? Would the earth have been destroyed due to so much raw power much before the actual destruction due to Ruin's actions?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. Bad things would have happened.

Herald (paraphrased)

Like Sel?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Not going to answer that. Just bad things would have happened.

Arcanum Unbounded San Francisco signing (Nov. 30, 2016)

His stay in the Rosharan system is involuntary. We can conclude nothing from that.

Not definitively, no, but what is happening on Roshar with Odium's influence is what we get to see at present, as the similar events on Sel and Threnody are forgotten history.

There are quite a few theories out there regarding how Odium Splinters other Shards that postulate whether interaction with the Shardworld is a direct part of said process.

Edited by R J

16 minutes ago, R J said:

But were instigated in part by the same entity as on Sel & Threnody

Well, Odium cannot leave.That is the point of the Oath Pact. In a way Honor was sacrificing the people of Roshar to stop Odium.

Not necessarily. That was one line by Alonoe, for which we have little context. It's certainly one possible interpretation of it though.

But a line her people have no problem understanding and interpreting.

Threnody doesn't seem to be doing so well

Now. The arrival of the Evil did not coincide with Ambitions demise.

Plus this WoB:

Hide contents

Scadrial could've been severely affected if Kelsier wasn't there to hold Preservation in the interval

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

May I point out that Scadrial is an artificial construct?