21 posts in this topic

Quote

Silence and William Ann stepped through a field of mushrooms that glowed like the skulls of rats and broke silently beneath their feet.

Umm, what?

Why are rats' skulls glowing on Threnody? Has it become the Cosmere's Chernobyl?

This also makes glowpaste a bit suspicious. When I first read it, I took it to simply be bioluminescent or some kind of chemical reaction. But could it have been caused by Investiture?

Is Threnody's flora and fauna using Investiture like First of the Sun?

Edited by Honorless
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Is Threnody's flora and fauna using Investiture like First of the Sun?

If I had to place a bet on it, I'd say yes. It seems like Ambition's Investiture is doing a number of strange things to the planet!

Interesting find! I wonder if that means the glow and are the shape of rats or if they glow, and that description indicates that rats with glowing skulls are a normal phenomenon on Threnody??

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

If I had to place a bet on it, I'd say yes. It seems like Ambition's Investiture is doing a number of strange things to the planet!

Interesting find! I wonder if that means the glow and are the shape of rats or if they glow, and that description indicates that rats with glowing skulls are a normal phenomenon on Threnody??

Why was this sentence placed so inconspicuously?

I'm starting to wonder if Threnody's ecosystem, not just the Shades, are as innocuous as they seem when compared to the Shades...

Wait a minute, why are the mushrooms glowing in the first place?! Mushrooms aren't jellyfish!

So many other ecosystems are intertwined with Investiture, look at Roshar's cycle of Highstorms for instance, or the water vines and lichen on Dayside of Taldain; apparently Darkside of Taldain also has its Investiture tied into its ecology, possibly including humans given Khriss' comments on eye colour. On Sel, the Dor might be affecting the flora and fauna in some nations: Hrovell manifests its magic system as making of potions and is also where the Jeskeri Mysteries cult/religion is very popular.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

If I had to place a bet on it, I'd say yes. It seems like Ambition's Investiture is doing a number of strange things to the planet!

Interesting find! I wonder if that means the glow and are the shape of rats or if they glow, and that description indicates that rats with glowing skulls are a normal phenomenon on Threnody??

I think that the shardic fight around the system and ambition’s slow disintegration could have led to a lot of her investiture into leaking into the threnody slowly. It may be possible that a lot of natural stuff has got invested and is glowing. 
 

Edited by The traveller
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The traveller said:

I think that the shardic find around the system and ambition’s slow disintegration could have led to a lot of her investiture into leaking into the threnody slowly. It may be possible that a lot of natural stuff has got invested and is glowing. 
 

Investiture irradiation...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why isn't Sel irradiated though? It also houses dead Shards, is it related to how Odium locked them in the Cognitive? Or is the region-locked magic its version of getting Investiture irradiation? Why is Sel still doing so well despite having two Splinterings? Neither Threnody nor Roshar is doing so well, with one still being affected by Ambition's death and the other suffering through thousands of years of Desolations. According to WoB, if Kelsier was not around to hold Preservation after Leras' Cognitive Shadow died, Scadrial would have suffered greatly. The lack of any direct effect from the Splintering I can accept, maybe Odium finished the deed in the Cognitive or immediately locked the remnants in the Cognitive after killing Aona and Skai but why isn't there any evidence of a planet scale war? Same with Threnody, no evidence of any conflict, then again we don't have much information about it. Who would the conflict be staged between on Sel, like on Roshar it was between the Humans (and Aimians) against the Singers. Was it waged between the continents on Sel? On each continent? Opelon doesn't have indications of such a conflict, except maybe that the city of Elantris and the land of Arelon was found uninhabited by its settlers... And both the Splinterings occurred way before in the timeline too...

 

Never mind, I ended up answering my own questions even as I typed them. I still posted it though, so anyone else who stumbles upon this thread and has the same questions could have some of their questions answered.

Edited by Honorless
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

r is the region-locked magic its version of getting Investiture irradiation?

I would say so but in this case the irradiation is slowly happening as compared to threnody.. 

As to the signs of this scale of war, you mean physical signs? I think on threnody we have not been much anywhere, may be the bigger continent.. the EVIL might be a result of it too.. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The traveller said:

As to the signs of this scale of war, you mean physical signs? I think on threnody we have not been much anywhere, may be the bigger continent.. the EVIL might be a result of it too.. 

The Evil is probably another example of Investiture radiation caused by Ambition's Splintering, like the Shades.

I was referring to lack of evidence of any planetary scale conflicts like on Roshar. But then again, we see their planet a long time after Ambition's death, also maybe Odium just directly attacked her rather than conduct any Desolation like event. The theory of Odium subverting other Shards' Intents in order to Splinter them is just a theory... oh rusts! Moving fast, starting a fire, drawing blood  do sound anti-Ambition....

Edited by Honorless
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of desolations type events, no shattered plain type typography....That is why I had always thought that Sel and threnody happened much quickly, I never thought that he spent that much time there as he has on Roshar....

I thought he got wounded and decided to change tactics with Roshar, because he got wounded and realised he can not keep doing this and hope to survive....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The traveller said:

The lack of desolations type events, no shattered plain type typography....That is why I had always thought that Sel and threnody happened much quickly, I never thought that he spent that much time there as he has on Roshar....

I thought he got wounded and decided to change tactics with Roshar, because he got wounded and realised he can not keep doing this and hope to survive....

We don't know how much time Odium spent on either Sel or Threnody but the Desolations on Roshar have been going on for thousands of years.

Yeah, I agree with this

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Honorless said:

We don't know how much time Odium spent on either Sel or Threnody but the Desolations on Roshar have been going on for thousands of years.

Thing is, Odium is trapped in Rosharan system. May be Desolations would also end much sooner. We don't know if he want to destroy Roshar, may be he just wants to be free and move on and Honor actually condemned Roshar to destruction by bounding Odium to its system. After all Honor doesn't always has to be right. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Thing is, Odium is trapped in Rosharan system. May be Desolations would also end much sooner. We don't know if he want to destroy Roshar, may be he just wants to be free and move on and Honor actually condemned Roshar to destruction by bounding Odium to its system. After all Honor doesn't always has to be right. 

Well, Odium specifically goes after Shards to kill them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Well, Odium specifically goes after Shards to kill them.

He kills shards but leaves the shardworld as they are. But now, he has expressed that he will be making significant changes to this realm, whatever that might entail, before leaving and will take cultivation out too.

So, honor did play the gambit and people of Roshar stand to loose much more than those on Sel or threnody if they should lose. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The traveller said:

He kills shards but leaves the shardworld as they are. But now, he has expressed that he will be making significant changes to this realm, whatever that might entail, before leaving and will take cultivation out too.

So, honor did play the gambit and people of Roshar stand to loose much more than those on Sel or threnody if they should lose. 

exactly what I meant by that but said it much better

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The traveller said:

He kills shards but leaves the shardworld as they are. But now, he has expressed that he will be making significant changes to this realm, whatever that might entail, before leaving and will take cultivation out too.

So, honor did play the gambit and people of Roshar stand to loose much more than those on Sel or threnody if they should lose. 

Don't let the people of Threnody hear you say that!

 

Plus found this interesting WoB:

Quote

AndrewStirlingMacDonald

Are there any animal Shades?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Don't let the people of Threnody hear you say that!

Unintentional on his part, though.. but Rosharans are toast if he gets a chance.. huge difference in my view...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The traveller said:

Yup that is possible too. 
I also like the idea that odium and ambition fought around threnody. And he got wounded which could mean some bits of him and ambition fell in threnody.. and together represent revenge or wrath which is how I see the shades behaving.. but pure speculation.. 

Good news, went and checked for WoBs and only found WoB that Odium hasn't left any of his Investiture on Sel, whether he left any on Threnody got a non-committal response

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Good news, went and checked for WoBs and only found WoB that Odium hasn't left any of his Investiture on Sel, whether he left any on Threnody got a non-committal response

Woohoo.. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Woohoo.. 

Unintentional Sims reference

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.