KandraAllomancer

theory
Odium is dead, long live Odium!

10 posts in this topic

Quote

“In order to repopulate her fallen people, she climbed the peaks of Dara—the myth changes, listing different modern mountain ranges as the true peaks of Dara—to find stones touched by the Heralds themselves. She brought them to Nadris on his deathbed and harvested his seed to bring life to the stones. They hatched forth ten children, which she used to found a new nation. Marnah, I believe it was called."

I think this fits in there somewhere. Just not sure if its end of Act 1 or Act 2.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea very much, @KandraAllomancer! Well researched!

I'd always thought that Rayse would be dealt with within the first five books, while the racial, socio-political situations would become the focus of back 5. Putting Jasnah, the queen of Alethkar and the Heralds, who participated in the long conflicts between the two main races and specifically held back their "gods", the Fused via the Oathpact definitely indicates more of a narrative shift, imo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting idea @KandraAllomancer

It would be very cool to see how the back 5 play out in this scenario.

If Odium can be splintered and reformed perhaps the same can be said about Honor. If that’s true... perhaps the focus of the back five (alongside the oathpact) will be on “reforging” honor fast enough to form a new pact or something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Odium returns it will probably be similar to what Honor did with the Stormfather.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KandraAllomancer This theory is quite good and feels like something Brandon would do. It also fits with Brandon's desire to distinguish himself artistically from Robert Jordan-- bbeg is dead halfway through and there's no Tarmon Gai'don that we work up to at the end, the back 5 are more about sociopolitical stuff and "fixing/uniting" Roshar to prep for Outer Space Time seen in Mistborn Era 4. (I like that, btw. Brandon doesn't want to rehash WoT and that leads to great creativity.) One thing I'd add is that there will likely be some kind of Christian-God analog in Stormlight. See: Sazed as Father, Vin as Son, Kelsier as Holy Spirit. That also feels like something Brandon would sneak in there. Perhaps this is where Adonalsium comes in: the people of Roshar turn away from their two warring gods once things are dealt with, and instead seek out Adonalsium, mirroring the Israelites' story of abandoning Baal and other Pagan deities as lead by Moses (Dalinar?). This, I'm not too sold on. It certainly seems like something Brandon would do-- borrow themes from another Christian era, sure, but still a tale with a lot of Christian baggage. Good stuff all around.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.11.2019 at 0:57 AM, Hakusho Slick said:

It certainly seems like something Brandon would do-- borrow themes from another Christian era, sure, but still a tale with a lot of Christian baggage.

I think Islam might provide even better analogy here - a more detailed description here

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest hurdle against this speculation is that Lift and Renarin's books are in the back 5 and both are set up as instrumental with one being influenced by Cultivation and the other by the Unmade Sja-Anat.

Plus there is the rival theory Odium will be freed, go to Scadrial to move against Harmony, then come back in time for the back 5.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Honorless said:

The biggest hurdle against this speculation is that Lift and Renarin's books are in the back 5 and both are set up as instrumental with one being influenced by Cultivation and the other by the Unmade Sja-Anat.

I don't think it's really a hurdle. It's pretty much confirmed that Rayse's death wouldn't stop Odium from being a threat:

Quote

2dark_22

RAFOed I'm sure, but you said you are planing 2 arcs of 5 books each in Stormlight Archive. Having read all of your published works (and some unpublished:)) I know your storytelling pace is astronomicaly quick. I'm positive you will end current desolation story in the first 5 books, since as I understod, other 5 books will be set in near future in SA universe. So I guess my question is; can you drop any hint will Odium survive to see 6th SA book:)?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, Odium will survive. Now, whether the one HOLDING that power will survive...that's a different question. :) (Not quite a RAFO.)

/r/books AMA 2015 (April 8, 2015)

 

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Plus there is the rival theory Odium will be freed, go to Scadrial to move against Harmony, then come back in time for the back 5.

While I could believe that Trell is Odium's avatar (though Autonomy seems much more probable to me), I don't think Odium itself will leave the Rosharan system. Arc 2 is supposed to be about figuring out the Oathpact, so I think Odium's Investiture will still be largely confined to Braize (or at least the planetary system)

Edited by KandraAllomancer
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

I don't think it's really a hurdle. It's pretty much confirmed that Rayse's death wouldn't stop Odium from being a threat:

Quote

2dark_22

RAFOed I'm sure, but you said you are planing 2 arcs of 5 books each in Stormlight Archive. Having read all of your published works (and some unpublished:)) I know your storytelling pace is astronomicaly quick. I'm positive you will end current desolation story in the first 5 books, since as I understod, other 5 books will be set in near future in SA universe. So I guess my question is; can you drop any hint will Odium survive to see 6th SA book:)?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, Odium will survive. Now, whether the one HOLDING that power will survive...that's a different question. :) (Not quite a RAFO.)

 

point

19 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

While I could believe that Trell is Odium's avatar (though Autonomy seems much more probable to me), I don't think Odium itself will leave the Rosharan system. Arc 2 is supposed to be about figuring out the Oathpact, so I think Odium's Investiture will still be largely confined to Braize (or at least the planetary system)

I'm for the Trell is Autonomy side, that was just an idle theory that I thought was interesting and not improbable

Edited by Honorless
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.