Well hello there, Nalthis Star Chart

Inky

Hmm. I wonder how developed Astronomy is on Nalthis? Like, those appear to be Hallandren names for the planets, but a distant rocky planet like Nightstar appears to be wouldn't be easy to detect- it probably wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, so the only thing you'd have to go on would the gravitional effect on Farkeeper, which would probably be pretty weak, since that one appears to gas giant with a complicated system of moons. 

And Farkeeper is also an interesting feature- it seems to a 'Hot Jupiter', so would be significantly larger and brighter than any stars that are visible from earth. Depending on the specific numbers involved, it's possible that might end up looking like more like a second moon than a star. 

But yeah. Something labeled 'cognitive anomaly' appears to be sharing Nalthis' orbit. Or maybe it's stationary, and the cognitive realm just goes weird on Nalthis once a year?

41 minutes ago, RShara said:

Cognitive...Anomaly....

*Adds about fifty questions to Starsight Signing list*

FOR REAL. my inner fanboy is screeeaming.

6 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

And Farkeeper is also an interesting feature- it seems to a 'Hot Jupiter', so would be significantly larger and brighter than any stars that are visible from earth. Depending on the specific numbers involved, it's possible that might end up looking like more like a second moon than a star. 

But yeah. Something labeled 'cognitive anomaly' appears to be sharing Nalthis' orbit. Or maybe it's stationary, and the cognitive realm just goes weird on Nalthis once a year?

So many moons. Is it possible some support life?!

Im betting on the latter with that anomaly. Verrry interesting!!

Life on one of those moons is theoretically possible. But it's equally possible the Farkeeper of out of the Goldilocks zone, or that none of the moons are quite large enough to have an atmosphere. 

But unfortunately I would expect the moons to be labeled and named if any of them were inhabited. 

I think the naming conventions are interesting. You see both Nalthian trends - the gas giants named like Returned, and the Nalthian moon with the distinct double-letter (looks like Rrendos.) Looks like the outermost planet was discovered later, which is why it's called "the Hidden."

And then we've got the symbol for Nalthis. It's a little boring; a five-pointed star. Possibly referencing the Five Scholars? They're apparently somewhat famous around the cosmere.

The Cognitive Anomaly is interesting. It's presence in the Nalthis orbit makes me pretty sure it was caused by events on-planet. I suspect it has something to do with Nightblood. But was it caused by Nightblood's creation? Was it something earlier that was partly responsible for Nightblood? Is it the effects of something planned for Warbreaker 2? Lots of possibilities. I'll have to reread Warbreaker, look for any important festivals or holidays or anything. (Nothing jumps out from my memory, which makes me think the anomaly might not exist yet during the events of the book.)

13 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

And then we've got the symbol for Nalthis. It's a little boring; a five-pointed star. Possibly referencing the Five Scholars? They're apparently somewhat famous around the cosmere.

The sketches of the Tears of Edgli that Isaac showed some months ago also looked like that, so I imagine it alludes to those as well (can't find them right now).

Fiiiiiiiiinnnaaaaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyyyy! 

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH INKY!!! 

"Cognitive Anomaly"? Vax... is that you?

Edit: in case the image doesn't load, here's a non-embedded link to Isaac Stewart's original post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4lESiojZBL/

you can also find the image here: 

Edited by Honorless

3 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Hmm. I wonder how developed Astronomy is on Nalthis? Like, those appear to be Hallandren names for the planets, but a distant rocky planet like Nightstar appears to be wouldn't be easy to detect- it probably wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, so the only thing you'd have to go on would the gravitional effect on Farkeeper, which would probably be pretty weak, since that one appears to gas giant with a complicated system of moons. 

This stuff is not to scale.  It might not be much farther out then mars or vesta both of which can be seen.  It also may have elliptical orbits that bring it into position occasionally.

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

But unfortunately I would expect the moons to be labeled and named if any of them were inhabited. 

Maybe their inhabitants are not sapient, went extinct or are under a giant coppercloud.  It is also possible that this is information Brandon does not want us to have at the moment.

That cognitive anomaly needs its own page.  I am on it!

Got this here it is!

Edited by Karger
Link

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, RShara said:

Cognitive...Anomaly....

*Adds about fifty questions to Starsight Signing list*

On 11/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Pagerunner said:

The Cognitive Anomaly is interesting. It's presence in the Nalthis orbit makes me pretty sure it was caused by events on-planet. I suspect it has something to do with Nightblood. But was it caused by Nightblood's creation? Was it something earlier that was partly responsible for Nightblood?

thank you @Pagerunner glad to see I wasn't the only one to jump to that conclusion.

hmm shardaic presence, perhaps endowments base of operations cognitive side? very interesting.

(also thanks to @RShara for pointing the anomaly out I would have missed it.)

On 11/8/2019 at 2:02 AM, Gilphon said:

I can't see that it would be stationary.  The star itself would not be stationary.  Then again a cognitive anomaly wouldn't necessarily have to follow physical laws, only cognitive laws.